Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Pokémon VGC Discussion Thread: Check OP For News And Updates

I just got home from Athens, the tournament was awesome!
    I MUCH prefer the Swiss format (everyone guaranteed a certain number of fights, even if they lose). Did pretty lousy my first turn, but every other battle was great. Ran out of time on one, and the others were in danger of the same, haha. My final rating was 96 of about 170 people, and I won four matches and lost four matches.
    Every time I compete, I get a little better!

I was a little shocked though- on WiFi, it is rare to find a team without Whimsicott. I didn't even see a single Whimsicott today, nor did my friends. I was expecting to see the same heavy hitters from last year's tournament make a return this year- Conkledurr, Chandelure, etc- didn't see them either. Didn't have anyone try Stealth Rock, Spikes, or Toxic Spikes, surprisingly (and thankfully).

Lotta Smogon kids, I only had to face one of them (least I think he was a Smogon kid... he had a custom made Pokemon team shirt, but he didn't have any teammates with matching shirts around, unlike the other packs of Smogoners. There were a few super unprepared people (just started playing the game, team isn't done, came here on a whim the night before, etc) but I didn't fight any of them. No, the majority seemed to be pretty on the ball with EV training and movesets, saw some really interesting stuff.

The venue itself was ridiculous... we were really spoiled last year with a huge arena area for the event, with TV screens to watch the epic final battles, a side station for people to play King of the Hill, mascot costumes, huge inflatable Reshiram and Zekrom, a backdrop to take photos against, music, etc. Really nice.
    So it was kind of a shock to come into this tiny dimly lit ballroom with hand-written signs taped up with blue painter's tape, and have the only sitting areas be the competition areas. No mascots or music, and it was hard to hear announcements because they only intermittently used their microphones, and everyone was so loud. >_<
    There also seemed to be significantly less people this year... we really filled out the larger venue last year.

Not sure why it was like that, but I was disappointed in the venue, though it was awesome having all kinds of food within easy walking distance.
    Also my battling experience was way better at this tournament due to the different format, so I still don't really mind all that much.

Something else I wish they would do is open up a merch booth! They could make so much money selling Pokédolls and shirts to people, especially the little kids who beg their parents for souvenirs. Of course I'm also saying this because I love merch, but seriously... they're missing a huge opportunity here!

Anyway, that was my experience. Was anyone else there?

Quote Originally Posted by Lobita View Post
    I just got home from Athens, the tournament was awesome!
    I MUCH prefer the Swiss format (everyone guaranteed a certain number of fights, even if they lose). Did pretty lousy my first turn, but every other battle was great. Ran out of time on one, and the others were in danger of the same, haha. My final rating was 96 of about 170 people, and I won four matches and lost four matches.
    Every time I compete, I get a little better!

I was a little shocked though- on WiFi, it is rare to find a team without Whimsicott. I didn't even see a single Whimsicott today, nor did my friends. I was expecting to see the same heavy hitters from last year's tournament make a return this year- Conkledurr, Chandelure, etc- didn't see them either. Didn't have anyone try Stealth Rock, Spikes, or Toxic Spikes, surprisingly (and thankfully).

Lotta Smogon kids, I only had to face one of them (least I think he was a Smogon kid... he had a custom made Pokemon team shirt, but he didn't have any teammates with matching shirts around, unlike the other packs of Smogoners. There were a few super unprepared people (just started playing the game, team isn't done, came here on a whim the night before, etc) but I didn't fight any of them. No, the majority seemed to be pretty on the ball with EV training and movesets, saw some really interesting stuff.

The venue itself was ridiculous... we were really spoiled last year with a huge arena area for the event, with TV screens to watch the epic final battles, a side station for people to play King of the Hill, mascot costumes, huge inflatable Reshiram and Zekrom, a backdrop to take photos against, music, etc. Really nice.
    So it was kind of a shock to come into this tiny dimly lit ballroom with hand-written signs taped up with blue painter's tape, and have the only sitting areas be the competition areas. No mascots or music, and it was hard to hear announcements because they only intermittently used their microphones, and everyone was so loud. >_<
    There also seemed to be significantly less people this year... we really filled out the larger venue last year.

Not sure why it was like that, but I was disappointed in the venue, though it was awesome having all kinds of food within easy walking distance.
    Also my battling experience was way better at this tournament due to the different format, so I still don't really mind all that much.

Something else I wish they would do is open up a merch booth! They could make so much money selling Pokédolls and shirts to people, especially the little kids who beg their parents for souvenirs. Of course I'm also saying this because I love merch, but seriously... they're missing a huge opportunity here!

Anyway, that was my experience. Was anyone else there?
    Athens?!?!?! Sounds almost identical to Pleasonton, even the number of competitors!

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam Leafeon View Post
    Athens?!?!?! Sounds almost identical to Pleasonton, even the number of competitors!
    Freaky! Did you prefer this new format, or the old "You lose, you're out of the game" format?

Pleasonton was 178 Masters.
    I guess I'll be going to Nats this year

My FC: 3225-4376-5228
    [My Trade Shop | My Profile | TEG | Club Double Trouble]

I was at Athens....we had almost 200 Masters players. My first trip up and I went 2-6. Grafton Roll was there, but he disappeared between rounds 6 and 7...not sure why.

Athens went 8 rounds swiss. For Masters: TCG had Top 32, VGC Cancelled Top Cut. Masters VGC Champ was the only player to go 8-0.

I liked it except for the venue wreaking havoc with my allergies..maybe if I could have breathed I would have done better

My results:

TCG: Call of Legends-Retort (pre-constructed Lucario/Donphan deck, just for fun)

Final Standing: 1-7. 145/179 Masters Division

Points Received: TBD (5 + ?)

Prizes: Promo Card, PoP Binder

VGC Rules: bring-6/pick-4, doubles, item clause, specie clause, banned list. Swiss/modified

Team: Rhydon/Eviolite, Dragonite/Leftovers, Weavile/EBelt, Gengar/Black Sludge, Gyarados/Wide Lens, Lucario/Kings Rock

Final Standing: 2-6. 150/195 Masters Division

Points Received: TBD (5 + ?)

Prizes: Promo Card, Commemorative Reshiram pin

Planning to get a warstory up soon.

edit: Harrison Saylor, Masters Champ...come to think..he was in a Skamabliss shirt O_O
    Last edited by Pokemom; 18th April 2012 at 6:12 PM.
    One of the Proud 25% that level up legally.

Claimed: Top Gun Anthem (March '09)
    Banette 30 Sept '11

Spoiler:- Brags:

Top 3,000 2012 International WiFi
    Spring 2012 SE US Regionals: 1-7 TCG, 2-6 VGC (warstory coming soon)
    Found the Collo Bonus Disc @ GS
    PGL: FLPokemom

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Nationals this weekend, leaving tommorow,, good luck to anyone attending!

Good luck everyone! You're all so lucky that you all get to go. T^T

Don't let this thread die! Update everyone on your progress!

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

went 5-3, two matches I got haxed in so I didn't top cut

Sorry about that, TrollFreak. BTW, is the Skarmbliss server shut down right now in order to make updates for BW2 or something?
    3DS Friend Code: 2363-6123-7178

"It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death."
    — Major Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell

Chapters created so far: 9
    The link is in th picture. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by TrollFreak View Post
    went 5-3, two matches I got haxed in so I didn't top cut
    Aww. I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you at least had fun; make it worth it to some degree.

Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!

Went 5-3 First time ever in vgc. First loss I had a a Calmed Mind Cofagrigus and Amoongus both full HP, time was called and he had 3 pokes with no hp but since he had more pokes he won. And second loss I was hanging with some friends on the TCG side and didnt hear pairings were called so i got an auto loss :/ but other then that had fun and ill proby be at fall regionals so say hi if you're going (I know its like 3 months away but what evs :P)

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster700 View Post
    Anyone seen the adverts? They have brought back the EX cards!!
    28th February 2012, 12:16 PM

[IMG]http://i56.*******.com/ckxs4.gif[/IMG]
    ^ Click here to go to my shop!^
    ^Credits to Mew_

Can I look at someone's team, so I can train an identical one?
    A successful one would be nice.
    I'm new to VGC, and I want to go to a tourney soon, so I would like to get started.

|Pokemon Parodies|Newest Parody:"The Dog Who is Staying"|

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz14456_Whenwilltheychangeitback View Post
    Can I look at someone's team, so I can train an identical one?
    A successful one would be nice.
    I'm new to VGC, and I want to go to a tourney soon, so I would like to get started.
    Sorry, guy. Most people don't appreciate getting their team ripped off, so I doubt anyone will offer their team to you to copy. If you need help team building, though, I'd be more than happy to help you out, though. I think building your own, personal team is what makes Pokemon great, so just copying someone else's takes the fun out of it.

Anyways, there's this new online tournament going on for the Japanese players with BW2. It's a new ruleset, only allowing Pokemon from the new Unova Pokedex (i.e. the Pokedex in Black 2 and White 2). The reason I bring this up is that there's talk of this becoming the new official ruleset for VGC 13. What are your guys' thoughts on this, if it were to become true?

Personally, while it is limiting in that there are less Pokemon viable (and a lot of key Pokemon are taken out for Pokemon that would normally be deemed "bad"), I think this could make the game a bit more interesting. I know a lot of people are complaining about it, but I feel that having a metagame with less of the standard threats of VGC 12 could allow other Pokemon and strategies shine, if only just for one season.

Sand would also be the overcentralizing weather, as Sun (while an awesome offensive weather) is nowhere near as useful as Sand. I don't run weather though, so I imagine I'd just get sick of seeing Sand teams.

But anyways, what are your guys' thoughts?

I don't know if I'm allowed to double post, but the thread's been kinda dead. Come on guys! Where's all the VGC talk? :/

Anyways, tomorrow starts Worlds! Who are you guys rooting for?

In Masters, I'm definitely rooting for Ray and Wolfe, although Junpei or Satoru winning wouldn't surprise me either. I'm still rooting for Ray or Wolfe though. :P

In Seniors, I don't know very much about their metagame or their players, but I'm definitely rooting for Aaron/Cybertron. He's a crazy good player for a Senior; I really wish him the best!

Any games today?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar19958 View Post
    Any games today?
    Probably, but it's all practice battles I guess. Probably trying to get a feel for the competition before it starts. Nothing that we can see yet.

Man it's been a long time since i posted in this thread....
    I'll also be rooting for Ray and Wolfe, and all the others from the US as well.
    I'm also looking forward to watching the masters championships live on the website.

Spoiler:- Credits to sxy people:

I'm rooting for Gary mother****ing oak =P

Current Hunt: Relic Castle - Badge Quest #4

1,670 REs

Welp, it seems that Rizzo pulled off a 3-peat after all.

Does anybody know if I can compete in the next VGC from another country?I mean I live in Greece where we don't have VGC,and I intend to travel in Europe to compete there.Is it possible or I can't because I am from another country?Please let me know..

Quote Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
    Does anybody know if I can compete in the next VGC from another country?I mean I live in Greece where we don't have VGC,and I intend to travel in Europe to compete there.Is it possible or I can't because I am from another country?Please let me know..
    So long as you have a European version of the game and show up at the event, you'll be eligible for VGC play anywhere in Europe.

RAY RIZZO THREEPEAT!!!

I was honestly rooting for Wolfe the entire tournament though. It was cool he made 2nd at least. I dunno, his Rogue playstyle vs. Ray's standard playstyle? Rogue all the way. But fair's fair.

I rooted for Cybertron and Babytron too! None of my picks won. Maybe I shouldn't have voted for them XD

Any idea on when we are going to know the rules for VGC 2013?Because I wanna start working on my team....

Quote Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
    Any idea on when we are going to know the rules for VGC 2013?Because I wanna start working on my team....
    Nothing yet. All we know is that next Worlds will be in Vancouver. It's really weird that we don't already know what the format will be; Regionals is in two months. Not knowing the format and not having the proper time to prepare can cause a lot of problems for possible participants.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast