Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Pokémon VGC Discussion Thread: Check OP For News And Updates

I thought they had the TCG tournament on Saturday and the VGC on Sunday?

^regionals apply to vg and tcg, unless they say vg regionals. So yea vgc is only sunday.

Also haven't seen this discuseed but what do you think will be the impact of bulky goodstuff. Currently there basically uncounterable because of the sheer amount of usable pokemon. Add a weather to bulky goodstuff, and ya got your self a gg. I'm currently taking my bulky goodstuff with drizzle in the mix. Not only do I have weather control, all my pokemon are slow enough to easily counter trickroom, and I have super bulky thunderus spreading paralysis vs speedy teams.
    Pokomanz achievements

-Vgc 10, and11: top32, and top16
    -Autumn friendly: 2003 rating(9thplace)
    -Vgc2012 RI 6th place(5-1)

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurvivor View Post
    ^regionals apply to vg and tcg, unless they say vg regionals. So yea vgc is only sunday.

Also haven't seen this discuseed but what do you think will be the impact of bulky goodstuff. Currently there basically uncounterable because of the sheer amount of usable pokemon. Add a weather to bulky goodstuff, and ya got your self a gg. I'm currently taking my bulky goodstuff with drizzle in the mix. Not only do I have weather control, all my pokemon are slow enough to easily counter trickroom, and I have super bulky thunderus spreading paralysis vs speedy teams.
    It's easily the strongest team comp out there. Being flexible enough to use weather to their advantage makes them virtually unstoppable. Bulky goodstuffs will dominate for now, but there is always something that beats it. I haven't personally discovered what that was yet, but when someone does, the meta will shift in that direction, but right now, your at a big disadvantage if your locking yourself into weather or TR. Like huge. A competent bulky goodstuffs player will pretty much always win.
    Autumn Friendly Rank: 21st(1933) 75W-5L
    OT:Noxe
    ::My youtube channel!!!::
    Dear Professor Oak,
    Nerf Charmander -Bulbasaur
    P.S. Squirtle is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Noxe View Post
    It's easily the strongest team comp out there. Being flexible enough to use weather to their advantage makes them virtually unstoppable. Bulky goodstuffs will dominate for now, but there is always something that beats it. I haven't personally discovered what that was yet, but when someone does, the meta will shift in that direction, but right now, your at a big disadvantage if your locking yourself into weather or TR. Like huge. A competent bulky goodstuffs player will pretty much always win.
    Right now, it seems that the only way to beat those kind of teams is by outfoxing them and taking full advantage of type advantages. Sometimes, it is just better to be able to take certain hits and have a clearly defined purpose than to be able to hit fast and hard and try to be a solution to everything. Still, like you said, it's still going to be difficult to beat these ridiculously bulky weather teams, but it's always fun to beat people conceited enough to call themselves God, so to speak, in the game because they have a certain type of team. Just do what you know best and don't be afraid to deviate from typical movesets and everything will be fine.
    Last edited by PokeMaster366; 11th November 2011 at 3:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    but it's always fun to beat people conceited enough to call themselves God, so to speak, in the game because they have a certain type of team.
    This is what I fought for like the 3 hour wait for vgc 2011, but the funny part is well they all sucked XD. Well I guess thats what you get when your at the front battling little children who "train their eevees all the time".
    Pokomanz achievements

-Vgc 10, and11: top32, and top16
    -Autumn friendly: 2003 rating(9thplace)
    -Vgc2012 RI 6th place(5-1)

My biggest statigy!
    Send out Rotom-Air and Hydregigon.
    (Rotom has choice scarf)
    Rotom uses Trick on opponent.
    Hydre moves after it and uses Torment on the same opponent.
    opponent attacks first time.
    next turn,opponent has to use struggle cause of Torment and choice Scarf!!!
    XD,Opponent's basically doomed!
    And it works,I've done it.
    Last edited by Cryssy; 11th November 2011 at 9:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalNinetales101 View Post
    My biggest statigy!
    (Rotom has choice scarf)
    So with the pokemon you dont trick/torment he gets a free attack, and he just switches out the scarfed pokemon. So now what? He still has the advantage...
    Dear Professor Oak,
    P.S. Squirtle is fine

So with the pokemon you dont trick/torment he gets a free attack, and he just switches out the scarfed pokemon. So now what? He still has the advantage...
    Um... Arena Trap?

My biggest statigy!
    (Rotom has choice scarf)
    One rule of thumb to remember:
    "All combos are doomed to fail. If the combo works, it's gay."
    - Rules of the Internet
    Last edited by PokeMaster366; 11th November 2011 at 11:42 PM.

Um... Arena Trap?
    Neither of those pokemon get arena trap. Furthermore, the pokemn that get arena trap aren't very good vgc pokemon. This is a really bad combo, I'm sorry theres no other way to put it. While you would use 3 pokemon to disable one, they will just happily sweep you with their three others designed to smash you. It's always better to just make a solid team, rather than to gamble on some crazy gimmick.
    Dear Professor Oak,
    P.S. Squirtle is fine

Will someone please enlighten me on bulky good stuff?

Neither of those pokemon get arena trap. Furthermore, the pokemn that get arena trap aren't very good vgc pokemon. This is a really bad combo, I'm sorry theres no other way to put it. While you would use 3 pokemon to disable one, they will just happily sweep you with their three others designed to smash you. It's always better to just make a solid team, rather than to gamble on some crazy gimmick.
    Yeah, last year I used pure SPdefence and SPattack,it worked pretty well until the 3rd round,I versed a 3 starter team Almost won too Gigalith vs Sammurott,if only I taught gigalith Giga impact,(sammurott down a little more than half hp)
    And what about Milotic Donefan combo?

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam Leafeon View Post
    Will someone please enlighten me on bulky good stuff?
    Goodstuffs just means pokemon that work well together without using an effect like Rain or Trick Room. Think Zapdos and Garchomp, or Thundurus and Terakion. They're just good stuff that works well together. Bulky just means that they have some amount of HP investment. Usually taken from speed that the trainer doesn't think is necessary to beat certain specific threats.

Hey guys! I'm not partaking in Regionals (siggghhhh living in Japan.), but I'm still really psyched for all of you going! You all excited?

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

New RMT Here

also, gl to all at VGCs tomorrow

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Good luck at VGCs everyone. May at least one of you finish as the winner. Watch out for storms! Always fear the Latis.

So how did everybody do in their tournament?

I went 4-3 and finished in 30th. I lost to someone who went on to be disqualified and I beat someone who got disqualified for using rough skin garchomp.

aww, that sucks man

I chase the dream, not the competition.

A good friend of mine, Grafton Roll, took first. He's always been a prodigy in the TCG and got top 4 in worlds last year, but this was his first VGC. It's also his first year in masters. He used a Sandstorm team. He lost his first round, but his opponent failed a post-round hack check, so he was given the win. He lost his second round to Noxe, but his Noxe was sitting in the wrong seat, so Grafton was given the win. He then won his last 4 games.

I finished 5-1 and ended up getting 6th (bottom of the 5-1s :/).

2nd: William Collins
    3rd: Michael Rubano
    4th: Steven Scruggs

I wish I had gotten a chance to talk to more of you, but between rounds I was recording my last round's battle (using the "Look Back" feature) with my camera. It's funny and cool how I frequently heard people asking their opponents if they were on Smogon .
    I would have easily taken first. The judge wouldn't let us redo the match. I beat grafton with 2 full health pokemon left. Ugh I'm soooo mad right now!!!! I was 3 and 0 when this happened UGH!!!! A loss for no reason.
    Dear Professor Oak,
    P.S. Squirtle is fine

I would have easily taken first. The judge wouldn't let us redo the match. I beat grafton with 2 full health pokemon left. Ugh I'm soooo mad right now!!!! I was 3 and 0 when this happened UGH!!!! A loss for no reason.
    I'm sorry dude. I hope you cheer up. The guy who won my regionals lost to the guy who placed 3rd.

You're record is nothing to be ashamed of.

It would be more helpful if someone went more into detail about what you have to do in order to win. Is it like only the top 4 or 8 in prelims go on to the finals and you get the ticket to nationals if you do well enough in prelims?

I finished 4-1 and got 6th place at my regionals with a Sandstorm team. It beat 2 Rain Dance teams, so I'm pretty happy. ^^
    Last edited by WolfSpirit456; 14th November 2011 at 1:37 AM.

At mine everyone battled 7 times and you get paired up with people who have the same record as you. After all the battles they calculate the who wins based on record. If there were people tied they factored in your opponents record and your opponents opponents record.

I got someone disqualified for using a dw garchomp. I should've waited until the battle was over to say something because I did go on to win the battle. I just couldn't resist; I literally threw a fit when I saw rough skin go off. The guy should've been disqualified for being an idiot who would run dw garchomp next to tyranitar.

At mine everyone battled 7 times and you get paired up with people who have the same record as you. After all the battles they calculate the who wins based on record. If there were people tied they factored in your opponents record and your opponents opponents record.
    That sounds a lot like mine, except everyone battled 5 times instead of 7.
    I got someone disqualified for using a dw garchomp. I should've waited until the battle was over to say something because I did go on to win the battle. I just couldn't resist; I literally threw a fit when I saw rough skin go off. The guy should've been disqualified for being an idiot who would run dw garchomp next to tyranitar.
    Well, at least you won. Someone I battled had a hacked Jellicent (he was using Rain team). I have no idea how he didn't get caught. I was using a bulky Sand team and won, but the guy got pissed off and forfeited. O_o

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast