Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on today's music

Default Your opinion on today's music

For me, music plays quite an important part of my life. I like to listen to a lot of under-rated bands which most of you have probably never heard of but I believe have great talent. The music of today is sometimes quite good (mostly, it's just a catchy beat) but the themes are usually pretty meh. I think why the music is popular today is that the radio plays it a lot and then a lot of people think that it's good but mostly it's just because other people will know the songs and they won't be laughed at for listening to it. All the songs usually have, where I live near London, is catchy tunes, there is some talent to be fair but not a lot.

Sorry for the semi-wall of text but I'm just curious on other people's opinions.
    Is a Jesus Freak and proud of it

I guess it depends on what you are calling "today's music" I like most of whats coming out in rock, I've never been a fan of rap, hip hop, or pop though there have been some of those I have liked. All in all today's music is still similar enough to what I listened to for the past 35+ years, Rolling Stones had a song banned from the radio before Tipper got crazy(look up the Album Goat's Head Soup if you don't believe me!), Aerosmith was rhyming before there was Rap (and was the first rock band to have a Rap remake) and Black Sabbath was scaring conservative parents before there was death metal! So music is doing just fine!

So true!

When ever I hear modern music on the radio, I think to myself, my god, most of modern music is about sex.

But then I hear the decades old music on my mum and dad's iPod, and think to myself, my god, most of old music is about sex.
    Will-Powered Spriter

You said it so eloquently Will! Touche'!!!

So true!

I don't listen to "today's music." I clearly have different tastes than all of you, but, whatever...

I mostly don't listen to any of today's music. There's like seriously only one band today that has captured my interest and that's Big Time Rush. I'm a Rusher & Proud of it.

Popular music is talentless, and really is a chore to listen to. In less popular genres, a lot of the music is bleh and sounds the same. There's very few modern bands I actually listen to. Much prefer stuff from 30/40/50 years ago, and classical stuff as well.

Are you sure it's different than everybody's AuraShere? I listen to a lot of different types of music including a gypsy/folk group I heard at the local RenFest, E'Muziki.

So true!

today's music is far more involving than the music of decades past.
    concerts are the only way to go
    and people shape their lives around music.

[img]http://i42.*******.com/4rtd0g.png[/img]

I prefer today's music over to music from decades ago, but maybe that's because I love more modern, upbeat, techno-sort of music.

I also love classical music. Ironic much?

Quote Originally Posted by spuds4ever View Post
    For me, music plays quite an important part of my life. I like to listen to a lot of under-rated bands which most of you have probably never heard of but I believe have great talent.
    Hahahahahahah

You faggot.

Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    Are you sure it's different than everybody's AuraShere? I listen to a lot of different types of music including a gypsy/folk group I heard at the local RenFest, E'Muziki.
    Well, if you consider VGMs "today's music..."

I... couldn't tell ya cause I don't know what VGMs stands for! Video Game Music? I wanted to go to the symphony presentation of the music of Final Fantasy if that counts. No to mention there is a few popular bands who lent their talent's to a few game soundtracks!
    Last edited by Malanu; 23rd September 2011 at 9:13 PM.

So true!

Depends..I hate a lot of mainstream pop, but I'm into loads of rock, and some hip-hop.
    ?

Today's music is god-awful, especially rap (no offense to anyone who loves today's rap). Most new rappers sound like they haven't heard rap a long time ago and suddenly hear other rappers rap from last year or the year before that.

At least rock is a bit relevant, even though half of their today's music aren't great.

Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    I... couldn't tell ya cause I don't know what VGMs stands for! Video Game Music? I wanted to go to the symphony presentation of the music of Final Fantasy if that counts. No to mention there is a few popular bands who lent their talent's to a few game soundtracks!
    Oh, sorry for not being specific. You're correct, it does stand for Video Game Music.

This thread will be divided into two camps:
    1) "i don't like or listen to new music thus it's terrible and i hate fun."
    2) "HOW DARE YOU LAMBASTE NEW MUSIC?!? YOU'RE JUST NOT LOOKING HARD ENOUGH AT WHAT ALTERNATIVE HAS TO OFFER!"

No problem, there is some quite good sound tracks out there from the gaming industry.

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Witchan View Post
    Today's music is god-awful, especially rap (no offense to anyone who loves today's rap). Most new rappers sound like they haven't heard rap a long time ago and suddenly hear other rappers rap from last year or the year before that.

At least rock is a bit relevant, even though half of their today's music aren't great.
    You just don't know where to looks. Mainstream rap is what's popular on the radio, therefore lots of people think mainstream rap is an accurate depiction of what it really is. But it's not. The rap/hip-hop thread has some great examples of artists who rise against the stereotype. I would recommend Aceyalone or Living Legends.

That's like calling all pop bad by judging it based off of what you hear on the top 20 imo. I don't like pop but every genre has its treasures.

tl;dr Sometimes you need to be a hipster to get a feel for a genre

I think in terms of popular music, there's not as many quality songs coming out lately. That's not to say there aren't any, (in the last year I've been quite Partial to The Flood, Firework, Edge of Glory, Set Fire to the Rain) just I don't think there's as many.
    But I do believe if your looking to more underground genre's, there's some fantastic music being made. In the last 5 years there's albums that I personally would consider classics of the future (though I doubt that there'll be many more thinking that.)

I think there is a bit of an issue with over saturation and availability of music leading to a drop in standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
    I think there is a bit of an issue with over saturation and availability of music leading to a drop in standards.
    I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ^^Yoshinichi^^ View Post
    You just don't know where to looks. Mainstream rap is what's popular on the radio, therefore lots of people think mainstream rap is an accurate depiction of what it really is. But it's not. The rap/hip-hop thread has some great examples of artists who rise against the stereotype. I would recommend Aceyalone or Living Legends.

That's like calling all pop bad by judging it based off of what you hear on the top 20 imo. I don't like pop but every genre has its treasures.

tl;dr Sometimes you need to be a hipster to get a feel for a genre
    Well, I'm not into rap anymore, so yeah. It wasn't as good as it used to be when they'd a lot of successful artists, IMO.

Today's pop isn't bad either. It's just that some of their songs annoy the heck out of me.

For proof that mainstream music is still alive and kickin' and that all these terrible hipsters who say you have to dig deeper for good stuff are wrong, listen to Airplanes by B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchan View Post
    Today's pop isn't bad either. It's just that some of their songs annoy the heck out of me.
    Exactly. Typical conversation with friends when listening to The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars:

BM: Find some really nice girl, has some really nice sex...
    Friend: Sex!
    Me: What?
    Friend: He said sex!
    Me: So, what's the big deal...?
    Friend: Just wondering, what would it feel like to have sex?
    Me: ...What?
    Friend: Do you think it will be nice to have sex? I'll ask Miss *teacher's name* about it!
    Me: *sighs* You know that she doesn't even have a boyfriend...
    Friend: She could've had sex before... Anyway, I want sex now! Who should I have it with?
    Me: Um, you know, this is rather -
    Friend: Matthew? Jamie? Seamus? So many possibilities...
    Me: - rather awkward...

For proof that mainstream music is still alive and kickin' and that all these terrible hipsters who say you have to dig deeper for good stuff are wrong, listen to Airplanes by B.O.B.
    First of all: It's not hipster to look outside of the radio to find other music that is usually better because it's not set within specific guidelines that a major label will give to a band/artist. It's called being open-minded and not just going with whatever is fed to you. Though part of that open-mindedness comes with accepting that NOT ALL POP MUSIC IS BAD. Lupe Fiasco is incredible (to me), for example.

Secondly: Airplanes is so overplayed it isn't even funny.

Thirdly: The problem with pop music is that it's so consumeristic now that a song that's 4 months old is considered 'old' which is completely ridiculous. I'm sorry, but an old song is something from the 60s, and earlier. Also, people just do what sells. Radio rappers never rap about anything that has meaning and every song has the same formula: Material posessions + money + sex + degrading women and treating them as objects + fake thug life + getting high/drunk + partying = a song that sells. While this is true, especially for mainstream rap you will also find it in any other style of song on the radio. But if it's outside of the genre of Rap/Hip-Hop it's going to be a girl whining about how men suck or a guy pining for a girl.

Nothing killed music faster than mass producing it. New songs come out almost every week by artists nobody cares about who are singing/rapping about things they don't care about.

Whatever you want to find in the underground, the music that hasn't been tainted by the touch of capitalism, be it poppy sounding songs, punk rock, hip-hop, reggae, rocksteady, metal, hardcore, whatever tickles your fancy you will find. It's there, and it's probably better because it's about real topics and the real lives of the people writing them because they don't have to use topics that sell records.

My opinion on today's pop music: overly uninspired lyrically, and every artist in this scene is doing the same thing musically with a different voice (i.e. THEY'RE NOT EVEN PLAYING THEIR INSTRUMENTS.) Not EVERY song is bad or uninspired, but the originality of a band/artist gets eclipsed quickly because once one person does it, everyone does. Let's not forget to mention the lack of talent required to become famous. You've got an act? (i.e. Ke$ha and her 'dirty' schtick) Let's market it!

Local bands, underground music, minor labels, donation labels...they care about music. Almost none of the bands on them sound the same. Not all of them are great, but at least they're doing what they want.
    Last edited by manifesto; 23rd September 2011 at 10:42 PM.
    I'm tired.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast