Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninetales Discussion

Default Ninetales Discussion

This is the discussion thread for the amazing Pokemon known as Ninetales. Why do I call it amazing when its only half-decent stats are Special Defense and Speed, you ask? Well, my friend, let me show you the incredibleness it really holds.

Ninetales:

73/76/75/81/100/100

Flash Fire/Drought

Fire Typing

Doesn't look to be the best Pokemon, eh? Well, besides looking awesome in shiny form, this has one little redeeming tool: Drought. This sets up a massive amount of Pokemon including but not limited to itself, Arcanine, Venusaur, Darmanitan, Charizard, and Victreebel. Weakening Water moves and strengthening Fire moves is an incredible boon for many Fire Pokemon. It's a shame they still have that Stealth Rock weakness, though. Here are a few sets I happen to like.

Ninetales @ Choice Specs
    Drought
    Timid Nature
    4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Overheat
    Energy Ball
    Hidden Power [Fight]
    Psyshock

This set attempts to crush the opponent's weather starters so that sun can roam free. Overheat is incredible, OHKOing several who resist it and many who don't. Energy Ball 2HKOs Politoed, while HP Fighting does the same to Tyranitar. Psyshock is filler.

Ninetales @ Leftovers/Air Balloon
    Drought
    Timid Nature
    252 HP/92 SpD/164 Spe
    Flamethrower
    Will-O-Wisp/Toxic
    Hidden Power [Fight]/Hypnosis/Protect
    Substitute

Standard specially defensive Ninetales. Flamethrower is reliable STAB. Will-O-Wisp and Toxic are both potential status options. The next slot is for general utilities, and Substitute is Substitute.

So, discuss this little fox, and watch as new sets are formed!

Maybe a more defensive set?

Ninetails @ Leftovers
    Bold
    252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    - Calm Mind
    - Will-o-Wisp / Toxic
    - Solarbeam
    - Fire Blast

Also, maybe a Nasty Plot set, same as above but replace a move for Nasty Plot

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

This somewhat gimmicky set:

Ninetales @ Wide Lens
    Ability: Drought
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 Spe, 252 SpAtk, 4 HP

- Hypnosis
    - Nasty Plot
    - Flamethrower
    - HP Dragon

should not be underestimated. If Hypnosis lands, it's an easy matter to get in at least one Nasty Plot. This clearly allows Ninetales to sweep with its perfect coverage moves. I have used this set with great success in RU with Persian.
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

Quote Originally Posted by 3.14kachu View Post
    should not be underestimated. If Hypnosis lands, it's an easy matter to get in at least one Nasty Plot. This clearly allows Ninetales to sweep with its perfect coverage moves. I have used this set with great success in RU with Persian.
    That's the problem, Hypnosis' accuracy. On top of that, Ninetales is OU.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

I swear about 5 X discussion threads have popped up in like, a day!

Anyway, here's my favourite ninetales set:

Ninetales @ Leftovers
    Drought
    Timid
    EVs: 252 Speed / 200 Sp.Atk / 56 HP
    Moves:
    - Substitute
    - Nasty Plot
    - Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    - Hidden Power Ice

I used sun for a while, and went through many ninetales sets, and this was the one that worked best. Sub on the switch or status, NP and sweep. Extra HP EVs are for added bulk. You may notice this set is walled by Heatran, but I found that synergy was required here: if I changed the HP to ground or something, I just got walled by something else.

Ice Cold Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dewott View Post
    I swear about 5 X discussion threads have popped up in like, a day!
    That's the plan. Kinda surprised we didn't do this before. It's what Smogon does almost immediately when a new tier forum shows up (like its new RU subforum).

Eh, I don't much to say about Ninetales, though I have used the Choice Specs and defensive sets before. Decent firepower... yeah, just a mediocre Pokemon all-around except for granting eternal sun. It's sad that both Politoed and Tyranitar can somewhat easily switch into Ninetales (Energy Ball won't 2HKO them... without Choice Specs) - just Toxic and Will-O-Wisp are potentially dangerous. Eh I guess HP Fighting against Tyranitar too but it can live it.
    Team Building Guide For Beginners!

Trade Thread - has free flawless dittos! (both english and japanese)

FC: 2365-5113-5595 (White)

Man! Pokemon discussions have been popping up left and right. I wonder who lit the fuse on all of this? Meh. Maybe it's because of VGCs coming up. Anyway, Ninetales' speed is good, but it's also part of the problem with him. When 2 weather abilities are sent out at the same time, the slowest one wins. In other words, Ninetales can't come in first because if he does this when another weather pokemon is sent out, Sun will be blocked out, barring Scarfed pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    Man! Pokemon discussions have been popping up left and right. I wonder who lit the fuse on all of this? Meh. Maybe it's because of VGCs coming up. Anyway, Ninetales' speed is good, but it's also part of the problem with him. When 2 weather abilities are sent out at the same time, the slowest one wins. In other words, Ninetales can't come in first because if he does this when another weather pokemon is sent out, Sun will be blocked out, barring Scarfed pokemon.
    Well, I get the honors of being the first one to spark a weather one! (I think)

Anyway, Sun is slightly more conservative than Sand, so you'll be switching your weather starter in and out a bit more. Of course, every Sand team I face is played by a noob, so I don't have much experience with that.

The only thing it has going for it is Drought. Otherwise it's crap.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    The only thing it has going for it is Drought. Otherwise it's crap.
    True, true, a thousand times true. Of course, I would still use it even if it didn't get Drought, it just looks that awesome. Anyway, Drought is what makes it good, and it makes it quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by magikarprules View Post
    Well, I get the honors of being the first one to spark a weather one! (I think)

Anyway, Sun is slightly more conservative than Sand, so you'll be switching your weather starter in and out a bit more. Of course, every Sand team I face is played by a noob, so I don't have much experience with that.
    That's right, and because you'll be doing this, your pokemon can't be so reliant on sunlight. Honestly, out of all the weathers, sunlight is the most difficult to adjust a team to, but if you can pull this off w/o limiting yourself to 1 or 2 types, you have a group that could trump any other weather out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    That's right, and because you'll be doing this, your pokemon can't be so reliant on sunlight. Honestly, out of all the weathers, sunlight is the most difficult to adjust a team to, but if you can pull this off w/o limiting yourself to 1 or 2 types, you have a group that could trump any other weather out there.
    Well, good partners to a sun team include basically anything weak to Water and can use a Fire move that gets boosted by the Sun. As such, bulky Grounds such as Gliscor work well, and they also have Fire Fang/Flamethrower/etc. to abuse Ninetales's Sun.

Honestly, I'd never run an offensive Ninetails set. You get the merit of hitting, what, like, offensive Politoed switch ins for mediocre damage at the cost of having a frail as hell weather starter without even any recovery from Lefties.

Nasty Plot sets are similarly pretty bad, imo, because the opponent is going to be gunning for them and they lose to Scarf and SpDef TTar and Politoed anyways.

I mean, Tails is undeniably the biggest dead weight on my team whenever I run sun, but it's ok because sun is so damn strong. I've found that speedy defensive sets (usually max HP with enough speed to outrun Exca out of sand) are the most effective since they can at least revenge some weather reliant stuff.

Everyone always misspells Ninetales...

Anyways, Parachomp, I know that Ninetales is OU. The strategy works in RU with Persian is all I said. If you feel that it's not as applicable in OU because it is an instant target, then I get where you're coming from.

I think Epic Eevee's point is valid, because the opponent will go all out to destroy what is essentially the focus of any Sun team, so offensive sets are doomed to be met with a counter and fail. It's a shame. In some ways, Drought ruined the strategies that Ninetales could have had. They should have given Drought to a pokemon that is intrinsically useless, like Heatmor.

That may have been the first time Heatmor ever came up in a competitive pokemon discussion. That pokemon is worse even than all of RU, as Magmortar and Moltres eclipse it in all respects. Poor, useless Heatmor.
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

Timid nature, 164 Spe EVs to outrun Excadrill in the sun, 52 SpA EVs to always OHKO Ferro in the sun with flamethrower. Put the rest in HP and SpD, give it leftovers. Will-o-wisp to cripple T-Tar/physical attackers. Protect to scout moves, HP fighting for Heatran, who otherwise walls this set.

It isn't extremely useful, but this is probably as good as it gets. You're going to to have to use the rest of your team to beat opposing weather, because HP fighting on T-tar still doesn't do too much. Since Sun teams usually have grass types, use one of them for Politoad/Tyranitar/Hippowdon.

Ninetails is a wonderful poke but just wanted to say you may want to add Victini to your list of powerful pokemon in the sun, Outside of rain, V-Create is a 270 Base Power move (counting stab) in the sun with the 50% damage boost= 405 Base power of domination.

^Rain Torrent Simipour's +2 Hydro Pump still hits harder.

^ Note that's with +2 and with extremely low health, with a very frail pokemon that can be easy 1 hit k.o'd. Very effective.... taking 2 turns to get off that hit that you will only get to use once while I can get off a good 2 V-Creates most of the time in the same time span. V-Create Ftw.

Remove priority and anything faster, and Simipour can sweep, NP as they break the Sash.

Note once again remove priority, also your suggesting sash, guess what, entry hazards. This simpour idea of yours still seems flawed :P

This Ninetales can deal heavy damage:

Ninetales @ Life Orb
    Drought
    Timid
    Evs: 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Moves:
    Nasty Plot
    Will-o-wisp
    Overheat
    Solar beam

With the sun shining, Nasty plots used until Sp. Attack is maxed, and Will-o-wisp is burning, only thing left is to choose Solar beam or Overheat.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    Remove priority and anything faster, and Simipour can sweep, NP as they break the Sash.
    The opponent switched in something with a Water immunity!
    Simipour is screwed!
    The opponent used neutral attack!
    Simipour fainted!

In fact this could be a lot simpler:
    Ferrothorn used Spikes!

Simipour just needs too much support to sweep effectively. Rain, no priority users, nothing above Base 101, no entry hazards, a free turn to setup Nasty Plot etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

If you need a decent DW Rain sweeper, just use Sturdy Salac Shell Smash Carracosta?

I'm glad Ninetails got Drought. It's nice to see her come back as the great Fire Pokemon she was in the first three gens. The best part about Drought being on Ninetails is that Sun teams get something usable for their weather. I'm looking at you Politoad!

Can you breed one for me? I have a HUGE amount of great pokemon, including a mew and rayquaza both lv 100 that ill trade for. But for that he'll have to be at least lv 60 with ice hidden power and his full moveset. Big demand, I got some good stuff. P.S. drought is necessary but moves/level are for rayquaza/mew. PS please email if its good fur u cause its easier for me. My email is gsmail1324@gmail.com
    Computers = TOMs. Totally Obedient Morons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast