Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #39

Default Community POTW #39

Reno's busy writing the last one so here's the next one

This week we'll be doing Purugly, one of the Sinnoh Pokémon

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/432.shtml

Purugly has never been done in the Pokémon of the Week here at Serebii and has so many capabilities.

Go nuts

Where to begin...it's awful!
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Purugly. Big whoop. It's all fat and...faster than Gengar...but kinda useless. At least it gets a decent Dream World ability with Defiant.

Meow, I'm an Ugly Cat
    Purugly @ Leftovers
    Trait: Defiant
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk), Jolly (+Speed, -SAtk)
    - Body Slam/Slash
    - Wake-Up Slap/Bulldoze/Aerial Ace
    - Shadow Claw
    - Hone Claws/Fake Out/Sucker Punch
    Okay, Defiant isn’t as useful because Purugly doesn’t have any stat self-lowering moves. Body Slam or Slash is for STAB. Wake-Up Slap is for Rocks and Steels, but…so is Bulldoze, which lowers everyone’s Speed and…doesn’t wake them up. Aerial Ace is for…Fighting types? Yeah, that’s the only reason to use it. Shadow Claw is for Ghosts the Body Slam, Slash, Wake-Up Slap and sometimes Bulldoze cannot hit. Hone Claws raises Attack and accuracy, but Fake Out or Sucker Punch are both good options. So if you love cats, then you'll love...Persian. Only weird Team Galactic people like Purugly.
    Last edited by grantholomew; 25th September 2011 at 9:37 PM.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Where to begin...it's awful!
    I concur, it's pretty bad, and I don't see myself using it much, so I have little (if anything) to contribute to this week's post :P

Purugly is a weird Pokemon. Despite its appearance, it is very fast, packing base 112 Speed. Other than that, though, its stats are pretty poor. 71/64/59 Defenses mean it won't last very long, and its offensive stats are nothing special, either. Its better offense is its base 82 Attack, but its only boosting move is Hone Claws. I think Persian is a better choice, since it gets Technician and a similar movepool, but Purugly does get Defiant, which would probably be the main reason to choose it over the fellow cat.

PO RAGE!
    Purugly (FEMALE) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Defiant/Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spd
    Jolly (+Speed, -SAtk)
    - Attract/Hypnosis
    - Charm
    - Captivate
    - Toxic

The HORROR!!! The PAIN!!! The PLEASE NOT THE EYES!!! set...
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

Demon Fox Trainer
    ~ignis~
    I claim DW "Under-The-Sun" Ninetails

an electric stab, maybe two, some other moves, it is still bad
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ilucado View Post
    PO RAGE!
    Purugly (FEMALE) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spd
    Jolly (+Speed, -SAtk)
    - Attract/Hypnosis
    - Charm
    - Captivate
    - Toxic

The HORROR!!! The PAIN!!! The PLEASE NOT THE EYES!!! set...
    talking about trolling...

Credits to Lapin (Extroph edition)

Oh geez... Purugly? Ah well... It's got some speed or something? *Sigh* well, seeing as these articles are usually around OU use - Bear with me - I'll see some... "Advantages".

Well, the only thing I can see that's noticable is it's Speed. Base 112 sets it higher than the likes of Gengar and even Thundurus, and it's got OK attack if you use really high power moves... Although it doesn't get alot. It's also got a STAB Priority in Quick Attack, two other Priority - Fake Out and Sucker Punch - and it's got U-Turn for scouting. It also has two decent abilities - Defiant and Thick Fat - which it can make use of every once in a while.

This doesn't mean it's good by any means, however. Purugly's abysmal defences of 71/64/59 make it about as frail as paper. It's also got little offence or defense, which means it cannot be put into a Defensive OR Offensive Core, and has to use an item to make it plausible. And when you add it up to being OHKO'd by pretty much the entire metagame and not being able to OHKO really anything back, it isn't going to work... At all.

If I must post a set, I'll do so with this; it makes use of it's best "Talents" and allows it to... damage things.

Ugly CB (Revenge)
    Ability: Defiant/Thick Fat
    Item: Choice Band
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    -Retaliate
    -U-Turn
    -Quick Attack/Bulldoze/Wake-Up Slap
    -Sucker Punch/Shadow Claw

Quite honestly the best set it can run IMO. Works as a Revenge Killer, as it's Speed is quite high. Use a CB and Retaliate can cause decent damage. U-Turn is very good move to use alongside a CB, as it allows for scouting, and makes itself easily able to let another Pokemon in - And because it only has one weakness, Ghosts would be appreciative of this. Quick Attack is a Priority move that can cause OK Damage to neutral threats, although Bulldoze or Wake-Up Slap might be preferred for the coverage granted. The last slot is for either Sucker Punch or Shadow Claw - Seeing as people don't like the abnorm, Sucker Punch could be useful for a surprise KO, but Shadow Claw is usable for a drop in power that's unlegible and more consistency.

EDIT:

Here's a Gimmick Set and OO.

RU Ambipom
    Ability: Defiant/Thick Fat
    Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant(/Maybe Jolly, not sure the Speed Tiers for RU.)
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    -Fake Out
    -Last Resort
    -
    -

With Ambipom being UU, Purugly can become the Ambipom of RU... I think. The strategy is the same as Ambipom; Use Fake Out the first turn, then use a 140-BP-STAB Move. The rest you stay in. Literally, that's it.

Other Options:
    Special - It's got such a low SAtk, but it could work OK, because it has a good Special movepool... And it gets Thunder? Well it could work-ish.
    Return - Can be used over Retaliate on the main set, but being a Revenge Killer, Retaliate is the better option.
    Aerial Ace - This is a perfectly acceptable option, as it's Movepool is so limited and there are so many Fighting Types - Even in RU.
    Hypnosis+Dream Eater - It could work OK, but you would have to have great luck or else it would be KO'd by an attack.
    Last edited by WeatherEffectRain; 25th September 2011 at 9:45 PM.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin9399 View Post
    talking about trolling...
    With that face what would you expect!? -.-
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

Demon Fox Trainer
    ~ignis~
    I claim DW "Under-The-Sun" Ninetails

Quote Originally Posted by ilucado View Post
    With that face what would you expect!? -.-
    A big fat cat, not a troll...

Credits to Lapin (Extroph edition)

HypnoClaws
    Purugly@Life Orb/Wide Lens
    Jolly nature
    Defiant
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Hypnosis
    ~Hone Claws
    ~Body Slam/Return/Wake-Up Slap
    ~Shadow Claw

Purugly, Purugly, Purugly. Such a shame that a cool Pokémon like this got such a misleading name. Anyway, Hypnosis does what it does best, allowing Purugly some much-needed boosting time. Hone Claws ups Purugly's Attack, and also Accuracy, though the latter only comes into play with subsequent Hypnosises. Pick your STAB move and couple it with Shadow Claw. Not the world's best coverage, but it works. Alternatively, the STAB move can be dropped in favor of Wake-Up Slap. Works somewhat well with Hypnosis and provides flawless coverage with Shadow Claw.

Life Orb works to put a bit more power behind Purugly's attacks. Wide Lens is an alternative- extra insurance behind that first Hypnosis.

Cat of Choice
    Purugly@Choice Band
    Jolly nature
    Defiant/Own Tempo
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Return
    ~Shadow Claw
    ~U-Turn
    ~Wake-Up Slap

Purugly's noticeably limited physical movepool comes back to bite it in the oversized hindquarters here. Return is for STAB, Shadow Claw and Wake-Up Slap for coverage, and U-Turn just in case.

Item is obvious.

Other options:
    *Flail is an interesting option with a Focus Sash and Hone Claws, but given the popularity of Sandstorm, Hail, and priority, the risks outweigh the benefits.
    *Purugly learns Thunderbolt, but with that Special Attack, I don't think so.
    *Bulldoze is an option, but Wake-Up Slap and Shadow Claw provide flawless coverage already. If it learned Earthquake, however...
    *If your team lacks priority users, Purugly can surprise opponents with Quick Attack. Gets STAB on it, too.

Abilities:
    *Thick Fat: Halves damage from Fire and Ice moves. Not exactly the ideal ability with those defenses. Opponents are more likely to go with a Fighting move anyway.
    *Own Tempo: Prevents confusion. Confusion-causing moves are uncommon at best, and Purugly doesn't even get Thrash or Outrage. Could be used for a gimmicky setup in doubles or triples with Swagger, but Purugly wouldn't be likely to survive the set-up turn.
    *Defiant: Purugly's Hidden Ability. Whenever an opponent causes one of Purugly's stats to be lowered, Purugly's Attack goes up by 2 stages. Useful for Intimidate switch-ins, and overall more useful on Purugly than its regular abilities.

Partners:
    A burned Purugly is a useless Purugly, so have a cleric on standby, or even something with Flash Fire to take a Will-o-Wisp. You also want something with a nice STAB Psychic to take out Conkeldurr.

Counters:
    With Mach Punch, Conkeldurr moves before and utterly destroys Purugly. Primeape can take the Hypnosis with Insomnia and OHKO with Close Combat. Physical walls in general give Purugly a tough time, and anything with Will-o-Wisp just shuts it down completely.

Opinion:
    Purugly is underrated, certainly. Not the best, but far from the worst.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Weather Support
    Purugly @ Damp Rock/Heat Rock
    Jolly (+Speed, -SAtk)
    - Rain Dance/Sunny Day
    - U-Turn
    - Taunt
    - Fake Out/Sucker Punch/Body Slam

Woot! Random ugly cat! This one provides weather support for your team, in the lower teirs, if you decide to make one. Rain Dance and Sunny Day are the obvious choices for your weather. U-turn is for scouting, and doing a little damage while escaping. Taunt is good, as coupled with Purugly's high speed, it can screw over many pokes, and taunt before you get taunted. The last move slot is up to you, though it is the least useful slot. Fake Out breaks sash and sturdy and whatnot. Sucker Punch hits ghosts & co. super effectively. Body Slam gets STAB and can paralyze the opponent. The ability Is your choice. Defiant backfires on intimidate-ers and makes your moves more powerful. Thick Fat is if you want purugly to survive a fire or ice move.

Other Options:
    Leftovers Could provide you with a longer life, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it also shortenes the longevity of your weather
    Life Orb lets your moves do more damage, once again at the cost of your weather
    Shadow Claw could be used in the last slot
    Wake Up Slap works well with shadow claw
    Hypnosis could work well in place of taunt, if your not worried about it's accuracy
    Last edited by mudkips; 25th September 2011 at 5:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    What was that Regarde. I couldn't hear you with all of that dick in your mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by D-idara View Post
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

And Reuniclus...i see everyone using him, could you tell me any actual advantages over Musharna?

Quote Originally Posted by grantholomew View Post
    Okay, Defiant isn’t as useful because Purugly doesn’t have any stat self-lowering moves.
    Wouldn't make a difference. Defiant doesn't activate if your stats lower with your own moves like Superpower etc.

Spoiler:- ΩRαS Shinies:

Purugly isn't fantastic... not too good actually, but it can do somethings with its speed

Name: Gimmickat
    Purugly @ Life Orb
    Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA) / Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    Ability: Defiatist / Thick Fat / Own Tempo
    Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    ~ Fake Out
    ~ Last Resort
    ~
    ~
    A complete gimmick. Yes, done better by Ambipom, but this is for NU. STAB Last Resort is nothing to scoff at, but Steel-types still wall you and Ghost types laugh.

Name: Support?
    Purugly @ Leftovers
    Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA) / Impish (+Def, -SpD) or Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    Ability: Thick Fat
    Evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD or 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    ~ Super Fang
    ~ Knock Off / Hypnosis
    ~ Toxic / Body Slam
    ~ Roar
    Somewhat of a gimmick, but works well with the right support. Purugly has enough HP for a semi-decent support set. Super Fang takes chunks away from your opponent, Knock Off nullifies their item, while Hypnosis can put one of their pokemon to sleep. Toxic or Body Slam are used to spread status, while Roar allows you to do just so. You really need entry hazards so Roar can work well, and Dual Screen support in general.

Someone really needs to fix that ****** random number generator. Purugly's only real niche in doubles is the Swagger/Own Tempo combo, and his defenses are so frail that it isn't guaranteed to work. Now that I think about it, though, can't he or she or whatever gender it is (it's hard to tell with this pokemon) learn Sucker Punch.

Quote Originally Posted by mudkips View Post

Weather Support
    Purugly @ Damp Rock/Heat Rock
    Jolly (+Speed, -SAtk)
    - Rain Dance/Sunny Day
    - U-Turn
    - Taunt
    - Fake Out/Sucker Punch/Body Slam

Woot! Random ugly cat! This one provides weather support for your team, in the lower teirs, if you decide to make one. Rain Dance and Sunny Day are the obvious choices for your weather. U-turn is for scouting, and doing a little damage while escaping. Taunt is good, as coupled with Purugly's high speed, it can screw over many pokes, and taunt before you get taunted. The last move slot is up to you, though it is the least useful slot. Fake Out breaks sash and sturdy and whatnot. Sucker Punch hits ghosts & co. super effectively. Body Slam gets STAB and can paralyze the opponent. The ability Is your choice. Defiant backfires on intimidate-ers and makes your moves more powerful. Thick Fat is if you want purugly to survive a fire or ice move.

Other Options:
    Leftovers Could provide you with a longer life, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it also shortenes the longevity of your weather
    Life Orb lets your moves do more damage, once again at the cost of your weather
    Shadow Claw could be used in the last slot
    Wake Up Slap works well with shadow claw
    Hypnosis could work well in place of taunt, if your not worried about it's accuracy
    Okay, that's probably a great way to use an UU Rain/Sun team. At least you're dancing for your rain instead of using a toad.

Choice
    Purugly@Choice Band
    Jolly/Thick Fat
    252 Atk/ 236 Spd/ 20 HP
    -Return
    -Sucker Punch/Shadow Claw
    -Wake-Up Slap
    -U-turn

With 112 Speed putting it past Thunderus, this poke is really fast. Problem is its attack sucks. Heck, apart from speed, all of its stats suck. With good speed it could be an okish Choice Bander in lower tiers.
    Return is your most powerful STAB move(why no Double-Edge?) and gets good coverage. Body Slam is on option but this is a power set and Purugly desn't need paralysis support. Sucker Punch is priority and hits ghosts but Purugly is so fast that Shadwo Claw becomes an option.
    Wake-Up Slap is your best bet against Rocks and Steels(why u no learn Brick Break?) and gets perfect coverage alongside Sucker Punch/Shadow Claw. U-turn can scout and gets you out of trouble.
    EVs get it past past Base 110s(if you're insane and using it OU then bump it up a bit to beat Thunderus) and the rest is dumped in HP.
    As for abilities, Thick Fat gives you a makeshift resistance against Fire & Ice which helps your switching in oopportunities. Own Tempo stops Confusion but you'll most likely get confused from a Machamp Dynamic Punch(which you won't survive anyway). Defiant stops Intimidate but it's all but useless apart from that.
    Purugly has quite a few support options here, Hypnosis can stop it's Counters. Fake Out can be used on a lead set or something. Charm can force switches. 5th gen brought itsetup in the form of Hone Claws but Purugly is too frail for that. It has a pretty fast Taunt. It can phaze with Roar(again too frail). Iron Tail smashes Rocks really hard but is inaccurate.
    And that's really it. Purugly is fast, but it can't really pose a threat offensively while defensively it just plain sucks. If you want a fast normal type just go for Tauros or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Is this some kind of Lead?
    Purugly@Life Orb/Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4Hp/252atk/252spe
    Nature: Jolly
    -Fake Out
    -Hypnosis/Taunt
    -Sucker Punch/Return
    -U-Turn

Say hello to mister kitty lead! Start out with Fake Out to cause some damage and break Focus sashes/Sturdy users, then you can put them to sleep with Hypnosis!(providing that it will actually hit) If Hypnosis's accuracy scares you, you can use Taunt, which is also useful. Sucker Punch can be used for Priority and to nail frail ghost types while Return can deal some decent damage. U-turn is to get out of there when you know your screwed! Your Item differs on how you want to use this cat. Life orb deals a bit extra damage while Choice Scarf lets you outspeed... a few things.

The Kitty with Sharp Claws
    Purugly@Life Orb/Leftovers
    Evs: 4Hp/252atk/252spe
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    -Hone Claws
    -Return/Body Slam/Retaliate
    -Sucker Punch
    -Wake-Up Slap

Oh no! It's a fat cat that can scratch! Hone claws boosts your attack to some decent levels and raise your accuracy... which can be useful if your accuracy has been lowered somehow. Your STAB move is a debate. Return is always the strongest, but Body Slam can paralyze your foe. Retaliate is only an option if you are planning to bit right before Hone claws for that power boost. Sucker Punch hits ghosts and is Priority, and Wake-Up Slap hits Steel types for super effective damage. Life Orb gives more damage while Leftovers can let you get in another Hone claws, that is if you survive an attack in the first place.
    Last edited by Porgon-XYZ; 25th September 2011 at 7:14 PM.

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

Purugly gets Super Fang and Thick Fat which are pretty much the only reasons to use it over Ambipom and Persian. Maybe something like Fake Out / U-Turn / Super Fang / Taunt could work decently to do damage before going down. It also could sort of switch in on fire / ice / ghost moves. Its not a good Pokemon but to make any use of it at all you need to have it do something Ambipom and Persian can't.

Arch Villians Cat

Adamant
    Life Orb
    252 attack/ 252 speed/ 1hp

Fake Out
    Sucker Punch
    U-Turn
    Taunt

Basically its a revenge killer
    Send it in inbetween fights get a kill and u-turn out
    taunt and u-turn if neccesary

Normally I don't like switch fests but this hit and switch strategy is all I can see for him
    How would you like your WALL today, unbelievably tough or OH MY GOD JUST DIE!!!?

The dark cat
    Adamant @ red card
    -Sucker punch
    -Fake out
    -Hyper Beam
    -U turn
    Purugly is.... well....... not half bad but still i bet at least some people use it. Fake out is really good when dealing with fast bugs and then you can use sucker punch and/or hyper beam to finish the job. It should have been a bulky pokemon but oh well its kinda useful
    I dont know why but i feel like it resembles with Zoroark now that i think about it
    Last edited by takbir10; 29th September 2011 at 1:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    Someone really needs to fix that ****** random number generator. Purugly's only real niche in doubles is the Swagger/Own Tempo combo, and his defenses are so frail that it isn't guaranteed to work. Now that I think about it, though, can't he or she or whatever gender it is (it's hard to tell with this pokemon) learn Sucker Punch.
    So because it picks one Pokémon which may not be that good, it requires "fixing"?

I like it when a Pokémon like this is picked, I think it allows people to be more imaginative with sets

This big fat cat gets a lot of moves, however with so frail defences it should sweep, and despite it getting loads of moves, it misses strong moves. It doesn't get Stone Edge, it doesn't get Earthquake, it doesn't get Double Edge, it doesn't get Superpower or Focus Punch, and it's stats are really low.

Anyway, it outruns Raticate which makes it a fast Super Fang user.

Purugly @ Focus Sash
    Jolly nature
    252 speed, 252 attack
    -Super Fang
    -Flail / Return
    -Knock Off / Return
    -Sucker Punch

not really sure if it can actually do anything well. Anyway, come in on some wall that can't really attack (like Umbreon, Shuckle, Skarmory, or Deoxys defence), and halve the HP of the target with Super Fang. After that, your foe has most likely switched to something that can actually attack. Use super fang again, and let the sash take the hit. After that, you can flail to finish off the target. Return is there for more consistent STAB, Knock Off is support, and Sucker Punch is just to have something to threaten Ghosts with.

At least this thing has a large enough movepool to allow some variation, it would fail badly if we got something with no movepool like Wobbuffet or even worse, Unown.
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 25th September 2011 at 8:29 PM.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

ehehehe ironically I was just considering Purugly for a team...

I suppose you can check out Smogon's Gen 4 page for Purugly's "basic" sets. A set playing it defensively, a set using Choice. So you see, nothing amazing.

I'll just point out Purugly's strong points. U-turn, Taunt, Knock Off, Super Fang, and Hypnosis with rather awesome Speed. The attack is...ok. Decent enough factoring in the good coverage Normal gets, so enough to be 2HKO on Return neutral hits, usually. That Speed and STAB Retaliate is good, but Ampibom is stronger and faster. Purugly can run such a set, though.

I suppose Fake Out + Last Resort set?

It's other niche area, despite not having much bulk, it does have Thick Fat. Of course, Snorlax does too, but Purugly has...Speed?

And now for those unique sets:

Purugly @ Salac Berry
    Defiant
    Jolly
    max attack and speed

Flail
    Dig
    Hone Claws
    Substitute/Endure

Defiant will save you from Intimidates, I suppose. Obviously, all priority users must be exterminated, and, in higher tiers, Ferrothorn as well. The only problem is that Cinccino is more powerful and can run Flail with better auxiliary moves.

Purugly @ Leftovers
    Thick Fat
    Jolly
    max HP and Speed

Assist
    Hypnosis
    Super Fang
    any of the aforementioned auxiliary moves

This is the set I almost considered for my team. Set up Spikes and Stealth Rock, put someone to Sleep, use Assist with a team full of Roars and Whirlwinds. Factoring in Purugly's Speed, these will be very fast Roars and Whirlwinds.
    I eventually passed Purugly to use Assist Liepard, but this isn't a bad set, I believe.

Pre-Evo Corner
    Just like Ambipom is to Purugly, Glameow is largely outclassed by Aipom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast