Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #39

Purugly's fast and learns hypnosis and U-turn, that's really it's best niche. But that's outclasses by Persian. Combine that with Super Fang, to hit defensive mon's hard, Sucker Punch or Shadow Claw to hit Ghosts, and it could potentially be viable.
    FINE. I'LL MAKE A SIGNATURE

My White team:
    Reserves:

I claimed Plusle. I don't know what claiming it does, but I claimed it.

A +6 Att 10th round metronome Helping-Hand boosted Max Attack Victini V-Generate vs. a -6 Def Min. Defense min. HP Paras in Sun does 135516-159432 damage, or 75286.7%-88573.3%

Purugly, you ugly fat cat with your remarable high speed who defeated me time after time in the Sinnoh region under the command of Juno or Mars or someone else who has the same name as a planet.

Anyway, this overweight cat-like hump of fat is fast. Pretty fast. Fast enough to outrun some OU and UO pokemon. And with Fake Out and Sucker Punch, this thing will be even faster. Not that it can use them properly, but they're worth mentioning. Purugly is like a Granbull or a Stoutland: it knows moves you didn't expect it to know, but it just isn't realy good at using them.

For so far my opinion about this black 'n white version of Garfield.
    3009 7432 7055

3 things about me:
    1. My mother tongue (if it is called that way) is not English (its Dutch, btw), so if I do make mistakes, sorry.
    2. Please send back a PM to me untill the trade is done. I hate it when people suddenly stop sending PMs.
    3. When I talk about a Pokémon in the POTW, I talk about its options in Random Matchup. So no UU, OU, NU, ubers or "drizzle won't activate swift swim" for me.

Purugly is what I like to call a “spammer”. It’s not going to do much in the way of raw power, but it can manage to make your opponent want to pull their hair out (like Serene Grace Dunsparce). Quite honestly, if you’re trying to use Purugly as a brute attacker, you’re using it for the wrong reasons. It has excellent Speed, but won’t be hitting much with its meh base 82 Attack stat, nor will it be surviving for very long in battle with its frail defenses. However, this chubby cat has access to some very interesting disruptive moves, and with base 112 Speed, it can pull it off even in the OU environment before landing face-first into the dirt by an opponent’s move.

Like I said, Purugly is a “spammer”; it’s designed to trip a Pokémon by its heels, but nothing else. If you time it just right, you can really mess up a crucial fighter to your opponent’s team.

Abilities:
    Thick Fat – halves fire and ice damage done to Purugly. I guess it’s a good ability... But Purugly isn’t expected to survive long anyways. Plus, based on the strategy I’ve come up with, you really want the Focus Sash to go into effect, which is only possible by having full health.
    Own Tempo – prevents Purugly from becoming confused. The chances of an opponent wasting its time inflicting status on Purugly, especially confusion, are most likely very slim
    Defiant (Dream World) – If any of Purugly’s stats are lowered, its Attack is raised two stages. This might be helpful if you keep switching Purugly around and happen to run into an Intimidator. It’ll add a little more punch to its attacks.

The “Spammer”
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Defiant
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Nature: Jolly (+ Spd, - Sp. Atk)

-Super Fang / Flail
    - Fake Out
    - U-Turn
    - Flail / Sucker Punch

Well, if Purugly’s so weak in Attack, why not give it the magical Super Fang that instantly halves all opponents’ HP? As you enter battle, you can use Fake Out to mess with the opponent. U-Turn lets Purugly scout and escape from “unworthy victims”. When your health is unavoidably chopped down, the Focus Sash will keep you just barely alive, maxing out Flail’s power and allowing you to do some serious damage. However, if you have Super Fang already in your roster and don’t want to be blocked by Ghost types, Sucker Punch gives super-effective damage and priority.

Other Options:
    Knock Off will let you take away the opponent’s item and potentially mess them up.
    Taunt to mess up bulky Pokémon
    Torment to prevent the opponent from using the same attack over and over.

Doubles and Triples:
    Purugly probably shouldn’t be placed in Double and Triple battles. It’s too easy a target to get picked clean by your opponents. Plus, the fact its attacks are practically all single-targets doesn’t make it very appealing to use in multiples anyways.

Attack Index:
    - Fake Out – Lvl. 1, Glameow / Purugly
    - Flail - Egg
    - Knock Off – PtHGSS tutor, Glameow / Purugly
    - Sucker Punch – PtHGSS tutor, Glameow / Purugly
    - Super Fang – Lvl. 41, Glameow only
    - Taunt – TM 12, Glameow / Purugly
    - Torment – TM 41, Glameow / Purugly
    - U-Turn – TM 89, Glameow / Purugly

Nature:Adamant
    Evs:252 atk, 252 speed, 252 HP
    Item:life orb/Expert belt
    Moves:Hone Claws
    Sucker Punch
    Shadow Claw
    Body Slam
    Last edited by 10speed12; 25th September 2011 at 10:54 PM.

The Gimmick Set:

Purugly @ Wide Lens
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP

-Hypnosis
    -Hone Claws
    -Sucker Punch
    -Wake-Up Slap

You use the free turn from the opponent falling asleep to stat-up, and then sweep with perfect coverage. It's not perfect, but it can be decent in RU.
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

Purugly @ Muscle Band
    Adamant, Thick Fat
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    - Fake Out
    - U-Turn
    - Sucker Punch
    - Last Resort

Something about Physical Sweep that I've thought about.
    Basically it plays Ambipom's role, Fake Out for pretty damage at the first turn, U-Turn for scouting, Sucker Punch for Priority and to hit Ghosts, and Last Resort as strong STAB.
    Muscle Band to increase damage a bit, and Thick Fat 'cause Defiant is useless on this guy, at least it reduces Fire and Ice-type attack's damage.

Back in the Serebii.net Forums!

Didn't some guy win with a Purugly during some tournament, then he went on saying he wished they made an evolution by giving it wings? I think i saw it on Beckett or something.
    [img]http://i39.*******.com/29oh3rq.gif[/img]
    Pokemon PLATINUM FC:
    5241 8702 2130

Pokemon HEARTGOLD FC:
    3997 0583 2677

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post

Purugly has never been done in the Pokémon of the Week here at Serebii and has so many capabilities.

Though you can at least do some gimmicky/lulz **** with it if it's your favorite Pokemon for some reason (I can't understand why it would be though).

Here's a joke set I thought of:

LOL
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Take your pick, you'll only be around for one turn.
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Nature: Jolly (+ Spd, - Sp. Atk)

- Assist
    -
    -
    -

The idea is to pack 5 of these on your team and have the last be any Pokemon you like so long as it only knows Explosion. With 112 base speed your Explosion will be a very fast Explosion. A very fast STAB Explosion. It would've been more fun in the last generation before they nerfed Explosion, but it's still pretty hilarious to have an army of exploding cats. I initially wanted to make a team like this and pull a prank on a friend of mine by doing the Pokewalker thing with him so that my joke team would end up in his game's Trainer House. Never got around to it though.

It's worth noting that Persian can also pull this off, as can any other normal type that can learn assist. Speed is important though to make sure you get your Explosion off before the opponent can hit you. In that sense Persian might be better considering it has 115 base speed and is also far less butt ugly incidentally. Purugly has a higher base Attack than Persian does though, so whatever floats your boat.

I love how people are commenting how bad it is... yet not contributing anything if you dont like it dont comment simple...

Set: Uglead
    EV's: 4 HP, 252 ATK, 252 SPD
    Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant (Sucker Punch), Jolly (Shadow Claw)
    Ability: Own Temo/ Thick Fat - both good

Fake Out (Priority + Stab + Flinch)
    U-turn (Scouting + Resets Fake Out)
    Taunt (Ruins anything not using an attacking move and means ghosts have to attack works well with sucker punch)
    Sucker Punch/Shadow Claw(Both good choices and both hit ghosts hard depends on whether you want priority or More PP if you think you will be staying around longer)

Sadley all Purugly is going to be hitting are Psychic, Ghost, Dark and Grass types with this set which is a shame because it looks so cool but other pokemon like Ambipom do this better and with better moves while hitting harder
    Last edited by gpt11; 25th September 2011 at 11:49 PM.

purugly is the worst pokemon I have battled. and being a national pokemon gamer, I've battled alot.

D.I. out

Mad Cat
    Purugly @ Life Orb
    Thick Fat
    Adamant
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Hone Claws
    - Return / Body Slam
    - Iron Tail
    - Sucker Punch

Cookie to anybody who gets the reference. Anyway, an attempt to do a setup sweep with Purugly... maybe not that amazing with its sub-par bulk, but Thick Fat essentially gives it two resistances, so that might help a little. Hone Claws is the best boosting move Purugly has access to. Return is basic STAB, but Body Slam is there for paralysis. Purugly has enough speed that it probably won't benefit from the speed drop, but there's also a chance of full paralysis and it can support team members. Iron Tail doesn't get STAB, but it's powerful and benefits from Hone Claws's accuracy boost. Sucker Punch is for priority that hits ghosts hard.

^ Click this for good times ^

OVERVIEW

Frankly, Purugly sucks. Not only does its name give insight on its design, it also has a major weakness to priority. Thankfully, it is faster than speedy Pokemon such as Gengar and Latios, and has Sucker Punch for Starmies/Alakazams/etc. He could be a fair anti-lead due to having the Taunt/Sucker Punch strategy for getting quick hits on a fair few opponents. Here are some sets it can run.

Purugly @ Focus Sash
    Thick Fat
    Jolly Nature
    104 HP/160 Atk/244 Spe
    Fake Out
    Sucker Punch
    Hypnosis/Taunt
    U-Turn

An anti-leader, this is about the best way to run Purugly. Fake Out gives some free damage. Sucker Punch is priority against those little nuisances faster than it. Hypnosis completely incapacitates an opponent, however Taunt goes perfectly with Sucker Punch. U-Turn allows you to get the heck out if something bad happens.

Purugly @ Choice Band
    Thick Fat
    Adamant/Jolly
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Return
    Wake-Up-Slap/Bulldoze
    Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch
    U-Turn

A different approach at Purugly, this set is used as a late-game sweeper. Return is a deadly STAB attack. Wake-Up-Slap is preferred as it is the strongest Fighting attack this guy has, but Bulldoze can be used if you want priority. Shadow Claw is used with Wake-Up-Slap to handle Ghosts and Psychics, though Sucker Punch is to be used with Bulldoze as Wake-Up-Slap and Sucker Punch are illegal together. U-turn for magneficent escapades.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendoftheSkies View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ my sister begged me to use the weather support set I suggested, and it did decent. In PO's WIFI NU!!!! No sane person would use this fugly cat in OU. Hell who bar my sister would use it anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    What was that Regarde. I couldn't hear you with all of that dick in your mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by D-idara View Post
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

And Reuniclus...i see everyone using him, could you tell me any actual advantages over Musharna?

Purugly, huh. It's better than other stuff, sort of.

Cat strike
    Ability: Thick Fat
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 speed and HP, 4 attack
    @: Normal Gem/Silk Scarf/Leftovers

Fake Out
    Sucker Punch
    Super Fang
    Hypnosis

Disrupt and strike. That is the nature of cats anyway.

Cat Band
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 HP
    @: Choice Band

Return
    Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch
    U-Turn
    Bulldoze/Sucker Punch/Wake-Up Slap/Aerial Ace

Let Intimidate happen, Purugly is crying for it. Then let loose.

That's all I got for you. When it comes to stuff with defiant as an ability, Braviary, Primeape, and Bisharp do the job much better. As for roles, use Persian if you are playing in the RU tier. In UU, use Ambipom. In OU, go back to Pokemon school because you are completely crazy.
    I claim Buizel.

Default hi fat and ugly

this is my first time doing this so, bear with me....

Purugly @ Focus Band
    Trait: Defiant
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk), Jolly (+Speed, -SAtk)
    - Body Slam/Slash/Aerial Ace
    - Hone Claws
    - Hypnosis
    - Dream eater

Body Slam, Slash and Aerial Ace are there for offense and stab. hypnosis for defense and dream eater for stab and healing.hone claws raises attack and accuracy for hypnosis and the stab attacks.

hope this helped!
    My uber Pokemon team-

First of all, out of the three, Defiant is better than Thick Fat; espically with the already higher Attack as it is.

Setup
    Item: Lum/Chople Berry
    Faint Attack/Shadow Claw/Aerial Ace/Payback
    Body Slam/Facade
    Bulldoze/Wake-up Slap
    Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt

Counters:
    Rock/Steel/Ghost-type with high Defence and Sp Attack like Cloyster or Probopass.
    A pokemon that knows Aura Sphere or Focus Blast against Purugly's weaker Sp Defense like Lucario, Blastoise, Mienshao, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Tangrowth, or Carracosta.
    Have a Porygon-Z, Whimsicott, or Klinklang know Special Attacks and Trick Room because of Purugly's high speed and Ghost/Dark-type attacks that most of the other pokemon that know Trick Room are weak against it.
    Since most of Purugly's attacks are Physical that does contact, have pokemon that takes advantage of that like Ferrothorn or one with Counter.
    You be more focused on avoid using attacks that lower stats to avoid having its Attack raised from Defiant than avoid using Fire/Ice-type attacks or Status Attacks that does confusion to opponents from the others.

Pre-Evolution Corner: Glameow
    Ability: Keen Eye
    Item: Lum/Chople Berry/Eviolite
    Faint Attack/Shadow Claw/Aerial Ace/Payback
    Facade
    Dig/Wake-up Slap
    Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    Mad Cat

Cookie to anybody who gets the reference.
    You, sir, are awesome. Anyone who DOESN'T get the Battletech reference had one deprived childhood...then again, I AM the guy who was deprived of Pokemon for 17 years..........

Anyway, all I can say about Purugly is that it's Speed is its one redeeming factor. I train random Pokemon to level 100 for amusement, and it's always hilarious to watch a lvl 100 Dunsparce own a equal level Giratina, without any stat training. Anyway, despite the fact that I haven't bothered to train or possess a Purugly, I can already see how it can be useful. Train that speed. That's the one thing you can run it with. In the way of moves. Fake Out is a must, it's going to be a leader. Shadow Claw and Wake-Up Slap are alright, I guess, not my personal choices, but anyway.... As for the final move, either U-turn to boost it's use as a scout or something similar.

special sort of kind of maybe sweeper.
    moves:
    hyper beam/round/hypnosis
    shadow ball/hypnosis
    tunderbolt/thunder/hypnosis
    hidden power(anything but above)/dream eater
    thick fat ability
    nature:modest
    item:life orb/choice specs
    EV's:half HP(life orb item choice)half sp. attack(all sp. attack if choice specs item)
    purugly is limited in special options, but some will work, hyper beam is the best STAB special option, but in double and triple battles, if another pokemon has round, then thats the kind of better option. shadow ball will destroy ghosts, but since you might end up switching into ghost types, and the foe may have switched into other pokemon until the only ones left are ghostes, then there may not be to much for shadow ball to do. thunderbolt and thunder are for water and flying types, and hidden power is pretty much for whatevers out there, although fire can sweep ferrothorn, and fight can sweep both ferrothorn and sort of heatran. now hypnosis can replace any move if you dont want it, and dream eater is if you dont want hidden power. but that means giving up one useful move and hidden power, but seeing as hidden powers power is kind of hard to predict, its usefulness could be high or low, but dream eater, being a psychic move, is the only way to clean fighting types, puruglys only weakness, and helps if life orb is used. but if choice specs are used, then it would be wise to only use your purugly in double/trple battle with another pokemon having a sleep-inducing move. thick fat is he only option for an ability, since own tempo isnt helpful at all, and defiant only helps the physical attack stat.

not a guarenteed great set, but its the best specia set i can think of
    Last edited by Ishnura; 26th September 2011 at 9:19 AM.

*sigh* One-on-one, Purugly is just awful. Giving it a chance in Doubles/Triples enhances your usefulness...slightly. Defiant changes Intimidate from an Attack -1 to an Attack +1 and Fake Out is so abusable in multi.

Your Speed and slightly usable Attack are your best only assets over the other cats. Assist spamming is better done by a Prankster Purrloin, special offense is best left to Technician Persian, and Delcatty can fling paralysis better with Normalize. Your niche comes from being able to fling status effects in with your offense, lowering your predictability.

However, you won't have a chance against STAB Mach Punch users:
    -The Hitmon-trio
    -Breloom
    -Conkeldurr
    ...nor against the Pokemon among the 31 with better Base Speed that carry Fighting Type Moves:
    -Cinccino and Ambipom's Technician Wake-Up Slap and Technician Low Sweep
    -Floatzel and Weavile's Brick Break
    -Zebstrika's Double Kick
    -Sceptile, Accelgor, and Alakazam's Focus Blast
    -Various Legendary Pokemon
    ...nor against Pokemon carrying a Red Card and Pressure Ability.

Quote Originally Posted by gpt11 View Post
    I love how people are commenting how bad it is... yet not contributing anything if you dont like it dont comment simple...
    Dude, if it's bad - which it is - it's not that we don't like it, it's the fact that it can't do anything

So yeah, Purugly = Worse than anything not named Delibird, Delcatty, Magikarp or Sunkern, pretty much.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Quote Originally Posted by Ishnura View Post
    special sort of kind of maybe sweeper.

hyper beam is the best STAB special option
    Yes, but you forget - Purugly has a PATHETIC Sp. Attack base stat. Seriously, it's equal with it's defense, and that's about twenty points lower than Attack...which is around thirty points lower than it's speed. Only thing WORSE than Sp. Attack is it's Sp. Def....oh, dear lord, don't get me started on it's Sp. Def...

WHAT?! Hyper Beam? HAHA. For one thing, it wouldn't even OHKO anything, and then let them Set-Up. ALOT. In vein, sir, for Hyper Beam is always a wasted effort.

[/rant]

Hm, it could make an interesting revenge killer.

252att/252speed
    Jolly/Adamant
    Life orb
    -Fake Out
    -Quick Attack
    -Retaliate/U-turn/Sucker Punch
    -Retaliate/U-turn/Sucker Punch

It's basically a revenge killer. It can't finish off steels, but they are usually slow anyway. Fake-out+Quick attack reaches the power of extreme speed, U-turn runs, Retaliate is STAB revenge kill, Sucker Punch hits ghost.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherEffectRain View Post
    WHAT?! Hyper Beam? HAHA. For one thing, it wouldn't even OHKO anything, and then let them Set-Up. ALOT. In vein, sir, for Hyper Beam is always a wasted effort.
    Giga Impact says hi. Even if it's not good to waste a turn IMHO.

Back in the Serebii.net Forums!

I was implying both, but whatever.

So yeah.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast