Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 300

Thread: Battle-Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym! (711)

  1. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Is it just me or is Snivy turning into the new Buizel, portrayed as this powerhouse in the beginning and then begins to lose quite often. The same thing happened to Buizel towards the end of DP, and now its starting to happen to Snivy. This Emolga battle reminded me of the Buizel/Steelix battle at the Canalave gym.
    Official Protag Namefor Gen VI
    ♂ Protag: Xavier
    ♀ Protag: Yvonne


    I support Emerald & FR/LG remakes over Ruby & Sapphire remakes!!!

    I support Wallace/Steven combo for RSE remakes!!!

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,798

    Default

    I love how Ash finally got his fourth badge. I was so happy to discover Palpitoad's a male, and see it in a gym battle

  3. #128

    Default

    Increbible episode, definetly one of the best so far.

    Palpitoad's win was portrayed a lot better than in the Don Battles.

    I think Snivy could have at least put up a good fight and lose instead of being unable to hit at all.

    Finally for Pikachu, his two hit KO were so greatly done with the music, we haven't seen him this strong since his fight against Latios imo, and besides Ash sitting down to after Snivy's KO, showed him as a good trainer when he fought with Pikachu.

    Great episode, 9/10.

    edit:

    I really don't understand the peoples hate towards the writing and gym battle in this episode.
    Last edited by Haunter ゴースト; 29th September 2011 at 11:09 PM.

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Sapphire Sceptile~ View Post
    I was honestly disappointed with this episode.

    Palpitoad battling Zebstrika ws a nice battle, I'm starting to like Palpitoad. I really didn't like the fact that Snivy went down without even hitting Emolga. I woul have rathered Palpitoad was the fall guy, since he got two wins in the Don Tournament.

    Then we get to Pikachu. I liked the fact that Ash had actual trouble here, but using Pikachu was awful. It already starred against Burgh, staring again was terrible. Then the fact that it got two OHKO wins was just plain awful.

    I was expecting a lot better from this Gym. Hopefully Clay's will be better.



    I'm glad I'm not the only one who waits for her reviews.
    What do "0HKO" and "1HKO" mean?

    And for all people who feel the urge to post that "Elesa is hot.", we already know that for a fact, so there's no need to post something most people already know.

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dream Land
    Posts
    371

    Default

    After reading all the forum discussion, I decided to watch the episode. The episode was a tad disappointing, even though I don’t understand the language.

    For one reason or another, this episode implies that Ash thinking things ahead and strategizing is bad for him. Why? His counter shield certainly wasn’t an impulse decision, and it was one of his greatest strategies in DP. We’ve seen him use type advantages in other sagas, isn’t that a strategy? Plus, Palpitoad won his battle; is that a bad thing? Maybe the lesson should have been about balancing strategy and quick thinking, rather than “if Ash makes up things as he goes along, he’ll win!” Plus, didn’t Pikachu lose to Excadrill partially because of Ash not thinking ahead about which of his three Pokémon would be the best against Iris? Condemning strategy just seems wrong, and I hope we don’t see a return of Thunder Armor or something equally ridicules later this saga.

    Another thing why are Pikachu and Ash out of character in this episode? Pikachu is acting like a brat because he wasn’t going to battle, and Ash was all worried about his team line up. Is Pikachu scared that all of Ash’s Pokémon switching will lead Pikachu to be dumped at Juniper’s Lab and become Swadloon 2.0? Was Ash so scared of Elsa’s evolved Zebra after seeing it destroy Bianca that he tried to be crazy prepared and failed? Or are Ash and Pikachu only altered to fit the plot? The world may never know.

    I find it amusing that for the first time in BW, Ash uses a Pokémon with a type advantage in a gym battle and wins. Palpatoad was such a BA in this episode. I also liked how Elsa used flame charge to boost the evolved Zebra’s speed even though the attack was mostly harmless. Palpitoad did get a beating from the evolved Zebra, so an Attract and a few Aerial Aces from Emolga is an understandable defeat.

    After this, Ash runs out of the gym to fetch Snivy. What? Shouldn’t he be disqualified for leaving the gym? Ash could have healed up Palpitoad at the Pokémon Center and told Elsa he had two Palpitoads if he felt like cheating. Elsa must be a pretty trustworthy girl, because I’d never allow a challenger to change Pokémon mid-battle. We certainly can’t do that in the games. I don’t even know why Ash thought Snivy’s Attract would be such a game changer. Since he clearly didn’t know Palpitoad and Emolga’s genders, he only had a 50 / 50 shot of immobilizing Emolga and he knew it had Aerial Ace incase his plan failed, which it did. Poor Snivy; Maybe if Ash trained you like he trains the otter, maybe you could of got in a hit or two. Cilan and Iris’ reactions to Ash’s gender failure were funny, though.

    At this point, Pikachu’s desire to battle is making him lose control of his electricity for some odd reason. Is that ever explained? Pikachu has been worried before without zapping his surroundings. Pikachu’s dreams come true in the end as Ash use Pikachu to quickly knock out Emolga. Elsa didn’t even try to attack or announce any command when Emolga was OHKO’d. If Elsa told Emolga to use Attract or to dodge, then at least I could be more accepting of Pikachu’s first win because Pikachu out sped the speeder. Elsa just comes off as stupid for just letting Emolga take that hit.

    Finally, we have Pikachu vs Tynamo. Why does a gym leader have a Pokémon with only one attack? Sure, Tynamo is fast and strong enough to ploy Pokémon into the ground, but I’d expect more from a gym leader’s Pokémon. After seeing how the Evolved Zebra boosted its speed with flame charge, I was hoping Tynamo would use Charge Beam to boost its special attack to a point where it could obliterate an Electro Ball. All we got was Tackle. Ash and Pikachu’s plan against its speedy Tackles was to blow up the battlefield so the easiest path between the two electric types was straight enough that Pikachu would know where to aim Iron Tail. Sad that the battle was so short and that it was another OHKO, since I admit it was a good idea.

    In short, I set my hopes up for a great battle, but Palpitoad vs. Evolved Zebra was the only good one. Now that Pikachu has stolen more spotlight, perhaps it can let other Pokémon star in battles unless it’s going to be an OOC whiner.
        Spoiler:- Friend Codes:



    All Hail Meowth!
    Trophy made by Pika22

    If you want the funny pre-Black & White Team Rocket back in the Anime,
    copy and paste this into your signature. *Started by Sapphire Kirby*

    And yes, I realize that, besides the Radio Show, the chances of that happening now are less than zero.

    I'm busy with life outside the internet; I won't be on often


  6. #131
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Poor Snivy. Ash's decision to send out Snivy to battle against Emolga was absolutely dumb considering the major type disadvantage as well as the fact that he had already seen Emolga use a flying-type attack by that time. It was funny seeing Emolga and Snivy trying to use Attract on each other, but after that, it was obvious that Snivy would lose easily.

    I liked how Pikachu was upset over watching Snivy get beaten up by Emolga.
    Last edited by DragonTrainerBigRed; 29th September 2011 at 11:20 PM.

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,990

    Default

    the thing is Ash was OVERthinking too much, it caused him alot of pressure(as well as Pikachu explaining why it kept going postal and eventually shocked Ash to make him quit acting like a goofball.) and almost cost him the match until Pikachu got him to realise what his problem was.
    Last edited by Almighty Zard; 29th September 2011 at 11:22 PM.

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    the thing is Ash was OVERthinking too much, it caused him alot of pressure(as well as Pikachu explaining why it kept going postal and eventually shocked Ash to make him quit acting like a goofball.) and almost cost him the match until Pikachu got him to realise what his problem was.
    That kinda reminded me of Maylene's Lucario when it was angry at Maylene.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokeballs View Post
    Irony
    Yes because it's illegal to not proofread your post before you post it.

    Look I make mistakes, I admit that, most of the time it's because my brain works too fast for my hands to type, so I leave out words because I'm trying to catch up with my train of thought. Or I use the improper word for the situation. Trust me, I saw the mistake I did, and had I saw it glaring at my face, I would've fixed it.

    Sadly after thirty minutes, it becomes pointless to fix mistakes you've made.

    @~Sapphire Sceptile~

    Dman is perfectly entitled to have an opinion on this episode. You don't have any place to complain about his harsh opinions. I admit, he can get slightly irritating at times when he can complain about everything, but pretty much everyone disliked this episode.
    Before defending someone, make sure you're defending the right person. I'm sure Pokeballs meant me as well in that post (probably), but he quoted Locormus not me.

    But thank you anyway.

    And did anyone bother to read my first post, I did say there were some good things in this episode. Like the majority of Palpitoad vs Zebstrika, and although completely out of character I did like how Ash just up and left the gym in the middle of the battle just to get a Pokemon.

    And I suppose if I saw it in higher quality, I guess the scene where Ash realized Elesa's Emolga was female, and that Palpitoad was male, would've been okay too, though I disagree with Palpitoad's gender but whatever. <Although to be fair, I didn't mention that Ash realising Emolga and Palpitoad's gender scene in my first post>

    Edit: The one thing I am curious is to what Elesa said to Ash that made him want to get Snivy. I thought it was gender confirmation, and they were pulling a "Ash doesn't know the difference between a male and a female" and forgot that attract doesn't work on the same gender or something like that but that would just be insulting to Ash's character. Since he knows for a fact that attract doesn't work on same gender Pokemon.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 30th September 2011 at 12:12 AM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Anyone else hear Kimi no Soba De in the first part of the episode? DP Shoutout. <3

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Anywhere, anytime baby ;)
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    This has to be my least favorite gym battle so far in Unova.

    There were some great moments, and funny moments like Ash leaving the gym in the middle of the battle. But everything else was just nauseatingly bad.

    - Palpitoad is male. I mean why give it such a feminine voice? I mean it was very feminine in this battle, even more so than it has been in the past few episodes. So yeah, not really cool. But I expected prior to this episode that Palpitoad was male, way to cheapen it here. And I'll get to why this is even worse down the line.
    Palpitoad has a feminine voice? Really I mean I know it's nasely but it still seemed pretty masculine to me. Then again I'm a big a NOFX fan and this is purely a matter of opinion.

    - Snivy lost. If anyone should've lost it should've been the rat but I'll get to that it an moment.
    Snivy lost because it was at an extreme type disadvantage. Not only was Emolga faster but Ash's plan to use attract failed because he didn't put enough thought into his plan. Seems like a good reason to me.

    - Ash was completely and utterly out of character. Whomever wrote this, kindly stay the hell away from gyms from now on. Seriously, I don't care what kind of message you're trying to shove down our throats but honestly you did not need to make Ash do horribly that you had to resort to Cheapchu as your last resort.
    That was kind of the point. This episode was almost like a message to the fandom. I mean how long have people complaining about Ash not paying enough attention to type match-ups? This episode proves that Ash's strength lies in his ability to think on his feet not his ability to plan ahead.

    - Pikachu.

    A)Okay so let me get this straight. Elesa's Emolga isn't male and is female, and yet she didn't use ONE attract on Pikachu at all. What the hell. This is what really irritates me. It's like the writer went "Oh we did the attract thing just to confirm Palpitoad and Emolga's gender" but no sense it using it in a way that might actually cost Ash the entire battle by not using it on Pikachu. It doesn't help any that Elesa just let Pikachu use that OHKO quick attack on Emolga.
    So not spamming the same attack is bad writing? There's a number of explanations here. As Trip and Stephen both demonstrated using Attract leaves you wide open for a counter attack. Elesa knew that if she wanted to win she couldn't take chances so rather than rely on cheap trick she decided to go for the kill. Luckily Ash also went for the kill.

    B). Pikachu being chosen in this. I mean it's bad enough that Ash is completely and utterly out of character. They really had to bring in Pikachu in all this and make it be the one that smacks Ash upside the head. Roggenrola would've been so much better. Sure it takes 1x damage from electric attacks, but honestly all Tynamo ever did (as far as I saw) was tackle. Ooh Roggenrola is going to be knocked out from a tackle.
    Pikachu loves to prove it's strength, and it loves to please Ash too. That should be apparent after all these years. When you combine the two, of course Pikachu is more than willing to battle. It saw it's a trainer in a bind and wanted to help, simple as that. The only reason Ash chose to use Palpitoad over Roggenrolla is because Palpitoad had more battle experience recently.

    The only decent match which has it's downsides as well is Palpitoad's battle with Zebstrika. And the only reason why I can't praise it for being the best battle, is because of that stupid close call it had, where it looked like it was knocked out.
    So you think that Ash not being able to sweep Elesa's strongest Pokemon is bad writing? -___-

    In all of Elesa's years of experience do you really think this is first time someone has tried using a member of the Tympole line against her? It would have been bad writing if Elesa didn't have a strategy against this.

    I don't know how this episode that revolved primarily around the gym battle, could have so many things wrong with it. And I can't blame the gym being sucky merely just because of Pikachu. Because there were so many other things wrong with this gym that Pikachu is merely icing on the rotten nasty cake.
    Opinion =/= fact. Many of us here enjoyed this battle. Besides everything with you is a flaw somehow. Nothing is ever good enough for you.

    Now I didn't watch this is perfect quality, so maybe my irritation primarily stems from the fact I was getting annoyed with the quality not being perfect. So I'm going to reserve final judgement until I can actually see it in better quality. But from what I saw and what I expected, least favorite gym of Unova so far.
    Wait? This is you holding back? Holy ****! I'd hate to see you at your worst then. :O

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Just because it's justifiable doesn't mean it isn't bad writing. Since when has bad writing been solely associated to apparently been written by someone who only has a small grasp of the language their writing.
    Wait what? Not to be a dick but I really don't understand the argument you're trying to make. Are you saying the writers are bad because they only know Japanese or what?

    The simple fact is, Ash was COMPLETELY out of character, that's why it's bad writing. It's like suddenly Ash gets pissed off at Oshawott for showing up every time and then kicking him (literally) for not waiting to be called.
    Again that was the whole point of the episode. I'm glad to hear that didn't go over your head.

    Ash shouldn't have been strategizing at all in the freaking first place. I don't know if this was really screw with Ash's character but I'm not buying it. I don't care how he badly he saw Bianca losing, or how bad he lost to Bianca's dad, he still should not have been so indecisive in a way that nearly cost him the match.
    In the past you've complained when Ash hasn't been strategizing. And now that he is you have a problem too? I really don't understand you. The message here is to basically play to your strengths and to stop trying to be something you're not. In case you didn't pick up on that.

    And we certainly did not need Pikachu to send that message to him, when he should've just done with what he's used to.
    And after all these years he's used to using Pikachu. It's his oldest Pokemon and the one with the most training. It even has a type advantage over Emolga so there really was no reason for him not to use Pikachu.

    Now had there been any sort of build up to this, sure I would be fine with it. Like Yugioh GX for a moment for a reference. Jaden lost badly to Zane, although he was seemingly close to winning. The next time Jaden battled Zane, he wasn't battling like he usually does and it nearly cost him, since he was "over thinking it" and wasn't playing the game to his best. When he realized this, sure the match ended in a tie, but he was back to himself, and realized he could do it his way just fine, and was the better duelist because of it.

    But how does that apply to Ash? He didn't badly lose to Elesa. As far as I can tell there was no reason for him to doubt his own battling method, so much that he had to over think the situation and have it nearly cost him the badge.
    But there were plenty of catalysts for Ash's gear shift. Being berated by Trip, Being intimidated after watching Bianca's gym battle, losing to Bianca's Dad, Cilan and Iris putting pressure on him the night before. After all that you'd have to be an idiot not to step back and ask yourself what you're doing wrong in those situations. Unfortunately Ash over thought it. But he managed to pull a win in the end.

    So it comes down to, who honestly believes that some of us didn't like this episode just because we "didn't understand it?" Honestly that sounds like a petty counterargument for my opinion. Who says "I didn't understand the meaning" and even if I didn't understand it, what makes it less bad writing, when this episode should not have been written this way in the first place.
    Seems like a pretty strong argument to me. You can't appreciate writing if you can't understand it. That's like Helen Keller telling you you're favorite band sucks. What does she know, she can't understand it?

    Ash should've went in there with what he wanted to use and won the usual way he does things. He chose Palpitoad because it's a ground type, Ash has instinctively chosen Pokemon that were super effective against the Pokemon in question prior to this so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could've just had Palpitoad and used it merely because he knew it was a ground type.
    And in the end he did that with Pikachu. It works out. So what were you expecting exactly? You just wanted Ash to sweep every single one of Elesa's Pokemon? Not only would that be boring it would be a repeat of his first battle with Wattson. Now THAT would be bad writing.

    So it doesn't matter if Ash's indecisiveness is justifiable, it doesn't suddenly change my opinion of the gym, just because the writers apparently wanted to try something new and make Ash look completely out of character. And mostly to make this gym battle last an entire episode, because apparently, they could not fill the entire episode with Ash being normal Ash so they had to throw in some B.S. out of character stuff just to fill out the time.
    Yeah but you're too stubborn to listen to reason. Ash OOC behavior was the whole point of the episode. I'm pretty sure this wasn't an attempt to fill out an entire episode. I mean really we've had plenty of those. Hell Ash's last gym battle was like that. I'm all for some variety.

    I'm still not sure how this lasted twenty two minutes, when it really did come off as incredibly rushed and the battles didn't seem that long at all. I mean I usually underestimate how much content can be shoved in the span of a single episode, but for this episode it seems I overestimated how much content can be in an episode, because this episode felt really empty. Edit: Though the quality of the way I saw the episode might have something to do with why it felt so empty.
    This episode wasn't rushed, you're just impossible to please.


    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Oh so because originally some people didn't know Japanese suddenly they should initially be okay with Ash's match with Liza and Tate, or they should accept the battle Pikachu's against Regice.
    Some people enjoyed those episodes. Just because you hated it dosen't mean everyone else did.

    Even people who speak Japanese said those matches suck, so what in the hell does knowing the language have anything to do with how one perceives an episode based on what you can. A person with an angry face visually beating the crap out of someone, pretty much says that person is pissed and hates the person he is beating. You really do not do understand the Russian words coming out of his mouth saying "I hate you, I hate you" when it's pretty damn obvious that there is no love between the two.
    Now that's a bit of a fallacy. At the time of writing this the only Japanese poster I've seen here is Elekible-Kid and their seemed pretty adamant about enjoying the episode. So...yeah.

    Understanding what a character is doing in an episode is only half of the experience. In order to really enjoy the episode you need to understand the character's motivations that's the other half of the experience. That's the basic rule of writing.

    You're argument only works when people are bored of dialogue heavy episodes. There was enough visual clues to know exactly what was happening. It's pretty damn clear cut obvious what's happening. You know maybe I could've initially missed the "Pikachu made Ash realize he shouldn't be overthinking things" possibly, but it was pretty clear cut that Ash was strategizing, and it wasn't exactly working for him. But it's pretty obvious that Pikachu snapped Ash out of his indecisiveness.
    See the above point.

    But you still seem to think that your explanation is somehow going to make the episode better for me, why would it? It's still completely out of character for Ash to sit down, think of way to beat a gym leader, and then be so indecisive or messed up during the battle.
    But being OOC was IC. It's natural for someone like to Ash to question his usual methods given the aforementioned pre-cursors.

    I'm sorry but I don't recall Ash ever pausing in the middle of a battle to get a Pokemon he thinks that can actually defeat the opponent like what just happened. Ash has ALWAYS stuck with the Pokemon he had chosen prior to the match.
    Again that was the point.

    So it is mind boggling that you think that not liking what happened had anything to with understanding the language being spoke. It's pretty damn clear what happened.
    It's mind boggling the way you do your mental gymnastics to convince yourself that your opinion = fact.

    What is there something specific you want to point out to me, that I'm apparently wrong about?
    Quite a few things actually.

    I didn't like it because, I'm sure people will claim that Palpitoad's win against Zebstrika was purely just to give it a win, and it's sudden endurance being DEM or something to that effect.
    Well even in game Palpitoad are pretty bulky (that dosen't apply to grass attacks). Plus it took two attacks that it was double resistant to and two weak attacks that did neutral damage. Nothing unusual about that.



    We already know Pikachu's gender, so that's not a good argument.
    ...And that's relevant why?

    If you hate everything about this show, then why do you bother watching? In all my years, honestly I can't ever remember seeing you post about something you like. It makes no sense honestly. And it only serves to annoy the people here. Honestly you're starting to make me miss Teshub.
    Last edited by Moltanic; 30th September 2011 at 3:08 AM.
    When routine bites hard, and ambitions are low.
    When resentment rides high, and when emotion won't grow.
    We're both changing our ways, taking different roads.


    Love. Love will tear us apart. Again.

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    805

    Default

    Good episode, that makes 4 badges in 1 year with barely any bull aside from the don battle and the Plasma eps.

    Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    Finally Pikachu is performing up to standards. I was getting sick of seeing it lose battle after battle against Pokemon it should easily be able to walk all over. 2 wins and a OHKO is the kind of Pikachu I want to see more often, not the one that gets beat by some rookie's newly acquired Snivy.

    As for Snivy, she'll get her share of wins, because unlike Tepig and Oshawott, she seems okay with losing. She doesn't get all depressed or acts like a child who didn't get what she wants. She just knows she'll just have to do better next time and will work to do that along with Ash.

    And as for Ash, I'm just happy he got the win. The sooner we get to the League the better, as for training, I hope he just pays attention to what moves his Pokemon. Flamethrower with Tepig is a start. How about working with the others? Hopefully more evolutions that aren't starters.
    This is exactly how I feel about it, glad someone else agrees.
    Last edited by Encyclopika; 30th September 2011 at 4:40 AM. Reason: double post
    Fact: All fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.

    Pokemon Red Team: Corona LV.53 Garland LV.44 Salt LV.47 Rime LV.48 Blitz LV.55 Buckle LV. 46 Badges: 8, Elite Four defeated.

    Pokemon Crystal Team: Flower LV.62 Torrent LV.61 Echo LV.58 Shade LV. 57 Vortex LV.60 Brand LV. 60Badges: 16, Elite Four defeated, Red defeated

    Ranked 5,823rd place in the VGC 2011 Autumn Friendly Tourney

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,470

    Default

    If i'd have been in Pikachu's shoes, i'd have been the same.. He wasn't *****ing about not being used, since he'd actually stood smiling and cheering whilst Palpitoad was being a badass. He was annoyed that Ash was being a total moron throughout the entire battle.

    Again, if I was Pikachu and saw Ash bombing in an important battle because he wasn't in the right state of mind, but knew that I had the power and moves to swing things in his favour, i'd have also got pretty angry and been like 'Woah wtf man! What are you doing out there? Send me in, I can do it!'

    I loved that Pikachu was used and I loved the reason.. but now I hope that's it for him when it comes to starring in gyms. Snivy, Tranquill, Roggenrola and Scraggy at least need some gym wins, if not stardom in said gym.
    OR Playthrough - Fallarbor Town

    This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dream Land
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard
    the thing is Ash was OVERthinking too much, it caused him alot of pressure(as well as Pikachu explaining why it kept going postal and eventually shocked Ash to make him quit acting like a goofball.) and almost cost him the match until Pikachu got him to realise what his problem was.
    That sounds more reasonable. Thank you for explaining as that changes my veiw on a few things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moltanic View Post
    That was kind of the point. This episode was almost like a message to the fandom. I mean how long have people complaining about Ash not paying enough attention to type match-ups? This episode proves that Ash's strength lies in his ability to think on his feet not his ability to plan ahead.
    That's the moral? Ash can't think ahead at all? What about the counter sheild? He knew he had a problem (hypnosis), he figured out a strategy, he practiced it, and it was awesome. Yes, it is important to be flexible in battle, but to say that a person should only focus on their strengths and not to try to improve there faults is wrong. The fact that he used a type advantage in BW for the first time and won should say something about planning ahead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moltanic View Post
    In the past you've complained when Ash hasn't been strategizing. And now that he is you have a problem too? I really don't understand you. The message here is to basically play to your strengths and to stop trying to be something your not. In case you didn't pick up on that.
    Is it wrong that Ash tried something new? Should a person just stick to what they know? Even if Ash lost he could have realized what he did wrong and corrected it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moltanic View Post
    But there were plenty of catalysts for Ash's gear shift. Being berated by Trip, Being intimidated after watching Bianca's gym battle, losing to Bianca's Dad, Cilan and Iris putting pressure on him the night before. After all that you'd have to be an idiot not to step back and ask yourself what you're doing wrong in those situations. Unfortunately Ash over thought it. But he managed to pull a win in the end.
    Honest question since I can't understand japanese: was any of this actually mentioned when explaining why Ash was overthinking things? If not, then I agree that he was OOC for the sake of the plot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moltanic View Post
    ...And that's relevant why?
    Another user thought that the reason Emolga didn't use attract on Pikachu was that the writers didn't want to reveal Pikachu's gender, but others told the person that Pikachu's gender was already revealed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moltanic View Post
    If you hate everything about this show, then why do you bother watching? In all my years, honestly I can't ever remember seeing you post about something you like. It makes no sense honestly. And it only serves to annoy the people here. Honestly you're starting to make me miss Teshub.
    I'm not easy to please either, and I sometimes feel that I watch BW out of habit only. When the target audience stays the same as you grow up, it can become harder to enjoy the show for some people. Just let the dman have his oppinion; he isn't forcing us to kill the writters because of this episode or anything. And he said he liked Palpitoad's battle for the most part.
        Spoiler:- Friend Codes:



    All Hail Meowth!
    Trophy made by Pika22

    If you want the funny pre-Black & White Team Rocket back in the Anime,
    copy and paste this into your signature. *Started by Sapphire Kirby*

    And yes, I realize that, besides the Radio Show, the chances of that happening now are less than zero.

    I'm busy with life outside the internet; I won't be on often


  15. #140
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    11,241

    Default

    The real battle was Palpitoad vs Zebstrika here IMO. Tynamo only having one attack is ridiculous. It could have had Thunder Wave, Charge Beam, and Spark as well. Thunder Wave would have been nice to see...

    If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

  16. #141
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    47,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tails_Sliat View Post
    I'm still waiting for Juputoru's comments lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Sapphire Sceptile~ View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who waits for her reviews.
    How come everyone loves her reviews, yet mine are totally ignored? *Forever alone*

    Anyway, call me stubborn, but I still don't approve of Pikachu's behavior. It's not like Pikachu to lose his temper. So I wasn't impressed with his little temper tantrum, even if Ash was being kind of stupid. I also don't like that Pikachu was used here since it means that some other [worthier] Pokemon missed out on some screentime. You'd think that the writers would balance things out by giving the other reserve Pokemon a chance to battle, but I guess old habits die hard.

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Anywhere, anytime baby ;)
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    How come everyone loves her reviews, yet mine are totally ignored? *Forever alone*
    You posted one? I didn't see your summary this time?
    When routine bites hard, and ambitions are low.
    When resentment rides high, and when emotion won't grow.
    We're both changing our ways, taking different roads.


    Love. Love will tear us apart. Again.

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fred FredburgerFred Fredburger
    Posts
    5,996

    Default

    Hm. I liked this episode. Palpitoad's win was awesome, taking 4 hits like that. The one thing that surprised me though, was how Ash didn't seem to notice Palpitoad was tired, where usually, (From recent memory), he would recall a Pokemon if he saw it was that tired.

    I felt that Snivy's loss was approriate, as Ash's only strategy was for her to use Attract on Emolga and knock it out from there. But, I have to admit, seeing Elesa's and the ref's reaction when he went to go get Snivy was funny. Actually, him just thinking about which Pokemon to use in total, was quite funny. That seems like an Ash thing to do, especially since his strategy didn't seem to be working out.

    Pikachu, I feel like, deserved its wins, especially since he lost to both a Panpour and a Snivy in the first five episodes of BW. I don't see why people are complaining about him winning like this, especially the way he won against Tynamo. That was typical Ash, pulling a strategy out of nowhere like that, wasn't it?

    Overall I liked this Gym battle. Wasn't as good as say, some Sinnoh ones, but I think it's my favorite so far in BW.

    Also, I don't see the complaints about why Pikachu got two wins. I think he deserved them, and after the way he was in Sinnoh, being in four gyms, and doing nothing in two of them, I think he deserved to be a little screen hoggy. I know he's going to be in at least one more gym, but I hope he stays away from both the Ground Gym and the Ice Gym. Plus, seeing Pikachu with some character is better than what we usually have. I don't see what the big problem is. Are people that scared of change?
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."
    Douglas Adams



        Spoiler:- Spoiler:

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lumiose City
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King World View Post
    Hm. I liked this episode. Palpitoad's win was awesome, taking 4 hits like that. The one thing that surprised me though, was how Ash didn't seem to notice Palpitoad was tired, where usually, (From recent memory), he would recall a Pokemon if he saw it was that tired.

    I felt that Snivy's loss was approriate, as Ash's only strategy was for her to use Attract on Emolga and knock it out from there. But, I have to admit, seeing Elesa's and the ref's reaction when he went to go get Snivy was funny. Actually, him just thinking about which Pokemon to use in total, was quite funny. That seems like an Ash thing to do, especially since his strategy didn't seem to be working out.

    Pikachu, I feel like, deserved its wins, especially since he lost to both a Panpour and a Snivy in the first five episodes of BW. I don't see why people are complaining about him winning like this, especially the way he won against Tynamo. That was typical Ash, pulling a strategy out of nowhere like that, wasn't it?

    Overall I liked this Gym battle. Wasn't as good as say, some Sinnoh ones, but I think it's my favorite so far in BW.

    Also, I don't see the complaints about why Pikachu got two wins. I think he deserved them, and after the way he was in Sinnoh, being in four gyms, and doing nothing in two of them, I think he deserved to be a little screen hoggy. I know he's going to be in at least one more gym, but I hope he stays away from both the Ground Gym and the Ice Gym. Plus, seeing Pikachu with some character is better than what we usually have. I don't see what the big problem is. Are people that scared of change?
    I agree with you but I also think that part of the reason is because of how Ash still has 4 pokemon that either haven't had as much development as the others or weren't used in a gym battle yet, or both:
    * Tranquill
    * Scraggy
    * Swadloon
    * Roggenrola
    Not to mention the fact Snivy didn't win a single match in her 1st gym battle
    Last edited by Mr.Munchlax; 30th September 2011 at 5:17 AM.
        Spoiler:- On Hiatus for the Holiday Season:

  20. #145
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    3,935

    Default

    -Today, Ash and Pikachu are staring at a notebook. ...aww, Ash's pen has a pokeball at the end of it. :3
    -Meanwhile, Iris and Dento are...whoa! Dento's not wearing his tuxedo vest thing! He...looks kind of weird without it. Anyway, Iris and Dento are saying stuff and I have no idea what.
    -Wait, is Ash...planning a strategy ahead of time? Did he get replaced with a robotic twin when we weren't looking?!
    -Ash decides to bring someone back into his rotation for the gym...I presume it's Palpitoad, what with the "actually thinking about how he'll battle ahead of time" thing and all.
    -Everyone rides the rollercoaster into the gym again. Ash and Iris are acting like a normal person would on a rollercoaster...but Dento is just calmly smiling. There's such a thing as TOO calm, man!
    -Ash leaves Pikachu with the other two, and Pikachu is just kind of sad about it. Gee, I don't remember it acting like that any other time Ash didn't use it in a gym. Why the sudden drama queen act?
    -I still have to question where all the dudes are in Elesa's screaming horde of fans.
    -Hey, the Elesa cosplayer is there again!
    -The battle's about to start, and it looks like Pikachu got over itself already. Good.
    -Elesa leads with Zebstrika. Considering how thoroughly it kicked Bianca's *** last time, combined with the fact that it's out first...I'm guessing we won't be seeing a whole lot of it now, if you catch my drift.
    -Ash sends out Palpitoad. Ash? Using type advantages? He really HAS been replaced with a robot double!
    -And suddenly a map of Japan appeared on Pikachu's head...oh wait, it's just a weather warning.
    -Elesa has Zebstrika use...Flame Charge? I know that electric moves will do jack here, but doesn't it have Double Kick? Why not use that?!
    -That weather warning can go away any minute now. It's in the waaaaay.
    -Paliptoad uses Hydro Pump, but oh wait! Those Flame Charges made Zebstrika faster!
    -And NOW Zebstrika uses Double Kick!
    -...wait, WAS that double kick? Because Palpitoad seems confused now. Or is it just reeling from being kicked in the face?
    -Ahahahaha Zebstrika's confusion after being hit with Supersonic is GLORIOUS.
    -Aaaaand the zebra just got launched into a wall.
    -And Dento kills the mood by noting how much damage it took.
    -Next up for Elesa is...Emolga! It sounds very slightly different from Iris' Emolga.
    -Oh hey, Attract! Who would have guessed that the animators would want to reuse that animation?
    -And Palpitoad's down!
    -Iris looks downright shocked by all this. What, did she think her Emolga was the only one that could spam Attract?
    -Ash thinks about who to use next, and...runs out of the gym? What the hell?!
    -Apparently "what the hell" is what's going through Elesa's head too.
    -Ash returns, and Elesa wonders if he healed Palpitoad, but of course that's not what he did. (Although...is that explicitly against the rules? I mean, if Ash leaving the gym in between rounds is kosher...)
    -Ash sends out...Snivy! Elesa has Emolga use Attract, and Ash has Snivy do the same.
    -...neither one is affected! Elesa wonders if Ash's Snivy is female...which it is...which gets a rather amazing reaction shot from Iris and Dento.
    -Ash is still confident since Grass types resist electricity...but Elesa reminds him that Emolga is part flying. This is looking like a worse choice every minute!
    -Snivy's getting pretty beat up by Acrobatics, and Pikachu...is going nuts and releasing electricity everywhere! Did it wake up on the wrong side of the bed today or what?
    -Snivy's down!
    -Ahaha, Pikachu knocked itself over by flipping out so much.
    -Ash has another thinking session...which is displeasing the referee. Not that I blame her, since she already had to wait god-knows-how-long when he went out to get Snivy. But Pikachu cuts Ash's thinking short with a zap. And then it goes and yells at him!
    -It looks like the issue here is that Ash was thinking too much, when we all know that he gets his wildest successes when he's flying by the seat of his pants. That's great. It's like it was specifically calculated to piss off all the people who go "omg why isn't Ash more focused on type advantages/planning strategies?!"
    -Pikachu's turn is now! It uses Electro Ball, and...so does Emolga! ...you know, I'm surprised it took this long for us to see actual electric attacks in the electric gym.
    -One Quick Attack, and Emolga's down!
    -Elesa compliments Ash, and sparkles fill the air(but she's talking about sparkling or something, so it's okay!)...and the camera pans down to her legs before panning back up...oh, fanservice. Anyway, apparently she said something weird since everyone(including Ash) is kind of taken aback by it.
    -What the hell is with Dento's facial expression after he answers Iris'...actually, I'm not sure what she's asking, but I think it involves whatever Elesa's fans are saying?
    -...okay, I must be mishearing something, because I SWEAR Elesa called her last Pokemon her "electric cream." Anyway, it's Tynamo! Which floats in midair because shut up. (and because its ability is Levitate, I guess)
    -Everyone seems kind of confused by it. I'm not sure why, since this show has established over and over that a Pokemon's size/appearance really have nothing to do with how strong it is.
    -Holy hell, the thing's like a goddamn bullet!
    -...Elesa's going to have some pretty large wall repair bills once this match is done.
    -Ash decides to have Pikachu go all-out with...Thunderbolt. Oh Ash.
    -Wait, it's attacking the floor and walls? Including areas dangerously close to the balcony...what is this supposed to accomplish other than forcing Elesa to completely renovate her gym after the match is over?
    -Oh, apparently there was only one non-dusty area left, which Tynamo naturally went through, which let Pikachu dodge it & then smack it with Iron Tail. Thus sending into the wall & KOing it. Funny how there's only ever the one hole in the wall behind her despite having three Pokemon smashed into it...
    -Elesa tells Ash where the next gym is, and he runs off...but then Elesa remembers that the drawbridge is still up. Looks like they're stuck here for a while!
    -...the Subway Masters are announcing the next episode preview? What sorcery is this?!


    A pretty damned good episode, if only for Ash's main trouble being himself instead of Elesa. Most of the comedic moments were pure gold; the facial expressions were especially amazing. And really...Ash ran to swap in a new Pokemon in the middle of a gym battle. That's just...wow. Though I'm surprised that he actually rotated out one of the starters, even if it was only used for comedic effect when he swapped it back in.

    My only major complaint is that Pikachu felt out of character. The whole drama queen act about not being used/Ash doing poorly in the battle felt forced. I guess it makes sense that Pikachu'd be the one to yell at Ash for screwing himself over by using a strategy that's just not him, but other than that...yeah, no. I do appreciate the attempt at giving Pikachu a personality again, but this was just jarring.

    I suppose the battles themselves weren't that good, but they were mostly used as vehicles to point out that Ash does better as an improviser than a planner. And the episode as a whole entertained me, so eh. Though I'm kind of amused/bewildered that Elesa used a grand total of one electric attack here. I get that Ash only used Pokes that resisted electricity, but really now?

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA
    How come everyone loves her reviews, yet mine are totally ignored? *Forever alone*
    I read your reviews! ...is it cheating if people only pay attention to yours because I said that I read them?

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin
    - Palpitoad is male. I mean why give it such a feminine voice? I mean it was very feminine in this battle, even more so than it has been in the past few episodes. So yeah, not really cool. But I expected prior to this episode that Palpitoad was male, way to cheapen it here. And I'll get to why this is even worse down the line.
    Feminine voice? Its voice sounds pretty neutral to me(bearing in mind that its voice does a few funny things since it's supposed to sound vaguely frog-ish). And how did it act "feminine"? It seems to me that you're just hunting for things to complain about. Would it kill you to stop *****ing and moaning about almost everything that happens in every episode? There's a point where I have to wonder why you even watch the show since you seem to disapprove of everything that happens in it.
    And before you go "it's just constructive criticism!" or something similar: I know what constructive criticism of the show is. I appreciate disagreements and differences of opinion in the community, since those are what spur discussion. I do not, however, like it when there are people who seem to do nothing but complain, since they drag an air of negativity into almost every thread they post in.
    Last edited by Juputoru; 30th September 2011 at 5:37 AM.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

    Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    716

    Default

    I guess I'm in the minority. I didn't completely hate this episode.

    3DS FC: 1693 1069 1732
    Dream Suite Address: 5300 - 2139 - 7204

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    2,747

    Default

    My only major complaint is that Pikachu felt out of character. The whole drama queen act about not being used/Ash doing poorly in the battle felt forced. I guess it makes sense that Pikachu'd be the one to yell at Ash for screwing himself over by using a strategy that's just not him, but other than that...yeah, no. I do appreciate the attempt at giving Pikachu a personality again, but this was just jarring.
    Just sayin, but I think this is the first time Ash didn't even initially consider Pikachu for an Electric Gym, so he might have been pretty upset about that. It still holds the record of being used in every Electric Gym though after that intervention.

    I like smart Ash though. I mean, he can at least try to know type advantages, as opposed to being a *******.
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,170

    Default

    I find it funny that (almost ironically) Ash does better when he doesn't think. XDDDD
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,745

    Default

    We waited six months for this?

    What a waste of a great character in Elesa. This episode seemed to only exist to show Ash acting like an idiot and Pikachu throwing a temper tantrum.

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    We waited six months for this?

    What a waste of a great character in Elesa. This episode seemed to only exist to show Ash acting like an idiot and Pikachu throwing a temper tantrum.
    You mean other than the fact that Ash thought this one through, but realized type advantage wasn't everything?

    And Pikachu was hardly throwing a tantrum. It was ready to sit this Gym match out, the only reason it got angry was because it knew it could help Ash win.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •