Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle-Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym! (711)

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post

Big azz summary and notes.
    Liked your commentary as usual, I think the whole Pikachu after watchin episode comes from Satoshi not even mentioning him when thinking of what to use, he never even put in question using him, I guess that can be a possible explanation but yeah before the episode I said it already that he never did this so it was weird, maybe what I said is the explanation we can take for it, obviously I'm going to wait for the subbed episodes to take a stance on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamenel View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority. I didn't completely hate this episode.
    I think a lot of people liked it, I though it was a great episode, the whiners will always be here, it has been like this for every region, half of DP was to whine about Buizel/Piplup and the other half was to whine about Infernape.

Plus when people whine and like cliche/bland/with no ****ing substance characters and can't interpret an episode for **** apparently, why bother with it XD, I'm at the point of looking at a post reading the first few lines and say to myself "this is ridiculous, next post" I still read them though, like Jup said constructive criticism is nice but watching episodes, already with the mindset that you are going to hate every single one of them for your own spoiled, stupid reasons, obviously you enjoy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Roggenrola
    If Roggenrola wasn't there you wouldn't have liked the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Moltanic View Post
    In all of Elesa's years of experience do you really think this is first time someone has tried using a member of the Tympole line against her? It would have been bad writing if Elesa didn't have a strategy against this.
    Attract was her strategy against the Tympole line? I guess since none of her Pokemon can learn Grass attacks, that's all she could do. At this point I would have believed a super strong Hidden Power (read HP Grass) is a better strategy.

Wait what? Not to be a dick but I really don't understand the argument you're trying to make. Are you saying the writers are bad because they only know Japanese or what?
    No. His argument was that you don't have to understand Japanese to know that the episode sucked. I'm still on the fence, but I can see where the complaints stem from.

But there were plenty of catalysts for Ash's gear shift. Being berated by Trip, Being intimidated after watching Bianca's gym battle, losing to Bianca's Dad, Cilan and Iris putting pressure on him the night before. After all that you'd have to be an idiot not to step back and ask yourself what you're doing wrong in those situations. Unfortunately Ash over thought it. But he managed to pull a win in the end.
    Paul belittled Ash every chance he got, yet we didn't see Ash flinch once about his training methods. I have to agree that the Ash seen today was OOC. If they wanted him to question things, why do they have to do this during a gym match? A simple training episode would have been much better, and we could have gotten something out of it like a new attack or an evolution.

But being OOC was IC. It's natural for someone like to Ash to question his usual methods given the aforementioned pre-cursors.
    Again, with Paul breathing down his neck that his methods were better all throughout Sinnoh, Ash never questioned his methods. Why should he start now? You should have expected it in Sinnoh where Paul was an experienced trainer; not in Unova where Trip is a novice.

Why can't we all just agree to disagree.

Like I said above, I don't know how I feel about the episode as a whole yet. I can point out pros and cons I guess.

Pros
    -Finally a gym battle!
    -The whole Palpitoad vs Zebstrika battle. It was a great battle; I think it was the best gym battle of Best Wishes thus far...that's not saying much for Best Wishes.

Cons
    -Snivy lost. If Ash was so brilliant at the beginning using Palpitoad, why didn't he recall Snivy when he realized Emolga was a female? Recall her and send in Pikachu to beat her.
    -For that matter, why didn't he just recall Palpitoad once it got Attracted?
    -Both of Pikachu's wins were a little cheap; vs Emolga more so than Tynamo. I have to wonder, though, did Leaf Storm hit?
    -More spamming of attacks. Enough with the damn Flame Charge already! You're an electric type gym leader. Wild Charge or, hell, Thunderbolt would have been appreciated.
    -All of what I typed is for naught anyway because Ash should have been disqualified for leaving the gym in the middle of a battle to get Snivy. What the hell was that about? If you wanted to pass it off as believable, send Pikachu in to battle right there, and send Iris or Cilan with a Pokeball to switch for Snivy.
    -Who was Ash's third choice originally?

Here's how I'd improve the battle:

-Night before preparations were fine. Mull it over a bit, but have your team ready before the gym battle starts (should I speculate? Ok. Palpitoad, Snivy, and Roggenrola).

-Palpitoad vs Zebstrika was fine except the spamming of Flame Charge. Granted Palpitoad is immune to Electric attacks, maybe Elesa could have been a fighter like Ash and use her surroundings or something.

-Snivy vs Emolga should have been a lot shorter. When Ash saw that Attract didn't work, he should have immediately withdrew her and send Pikachu in since he finished Emolga off so quickly. Worried about Attract? The attack has been dodged before. Pikachu could surely have done that this time.

-Snivy vs Tynamo should have happened. Tynamo could have known more than just Tackle, and the battle would have been better. At some point, Snivy could redirct a Tackle from Tynamo with Vine Whip to make it crash into the wall (beause she's badass)...heck finish Tynamo off that way.

There. All three get a win. Pikachu's win isn't so cheap, and Snivy's first gym win is a pretty good one. Too happy? Ok, one of the battles is a draw.

So it seems the Cons outweigh the Pros. I must say the gym battles this series have been of a poor quality. DP's were great because most of them involved some sort of problem solving (though some of the problem solving happened on the spot). I don't call this the worst battle ever (sorry Wattson, that's still your dishonor), but I think it's not one of BW's best. For me, Ash leaving in the middle of the battle ruined it, as well as Pikachu OHKO'ing (potentially) 2 of Elesa's Pokemon.
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

???

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    And Pikachu was hardly throwing a tantrum. It was ready to sit this Gym match out, the only reason it got angry was because it knew it could help Ash win.
    Pikachu was the only one who could win, you're implying? What happened to Oshawott training to use the shell as a shield? Couldn't Roggenrola's hearing have been used to detect where Tynamo was?

And they make Elesa out to be one of the most incompetent Gym Leaders I think we've ever seen. Seriously, her Emolga can't take one Quick Attack and then she can't keep Tynamo fully controlled?

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

OO;;; *reads Juputoru's reveiw and goes to rewatch episode.*

Juputoru is right, Elesa's only electrical move used in this match was electra ball...

Uh ok...how can you be called an electrical gym leader if you don't use those types of moves in battle?! Man she really needs to train tynamo and find better ways of handling ground types, at least Volkner was capable of doing that

Now that I have seen a better print, I think I was a bit unfair when I said it was not a good episode. It was an okay episode. Not the best, but definitely not one to deserve so much hate.

I didn't care for this gym battle much. Especially the order Ash used his Pokémon in.

And, as I expected, Tynamo was weak and didn't have much potential at all. But her other Pokémon did. Someone should have evolved. It would have made this Gym Battle more exciting. This gym battle only bored me.

I hope when Ash battles Clay someone will evolve. His team is getting boring.

The episode gets a: 6/10.

The gym battle gets a: 4/10.

I do hope to see Elesa again, though.
    Help Staryu, will you?

I have claimed Houndoom.
    When you start something, finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    Elesa's only electrical move used in this match was electra ball...
    Zebra vs Toad. electric attack dosent work
    Squirrel vs Toad. dosent work either
    Squirrel vs Snake. Flying moves work well enough.
    Squirrel vs Rat. used once for countering.
    Fish vs rat. only has tackle so far, we dont know if it has charge beam.

Quote Originally Posted by POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!! View Post
    Tynamo was weak and didn't have much potential at all.
    have you seen tynamo tackle? its a bam.
    and what should we even expect from a tynamo?
    offensive and speed is great.
    as for defensive, it need some training.

Hey, is it just me or has everyone already realized that the gym leaders don't showcase their respective TM's anymore? I mean back in Hoenn and Sinnoh, the TM's each gym leader gives out in the game was showcased by the gym leader in the anime...The only ones I can think of that counter this are Wake and Fantina...but Roark, Gardenia, Byron, Winona, Flannery, etc. all showcased their respective TM's...after this episode, I realized that Elesa never even used volt switch, Burgh never used struggle bug, Lenora never used retaliate, and Cilan never used work-up...weird...
    Draconic pokemon are king !!!

Pokemon Y Team:

my deviantart featuring a wide array of moemon drawn by yours truly: http://xxd17.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by XXD17 View Post
    Hey, is it just me or has everyone already realized that the gym leaders don't showcase their respective TM's anymore? I mean back in Hoenn and Sinnoh, the TM's each gym leader gives out in the game was showcased by the gym leader in the anime...The only ones I can think of that counter this are Wake and Fantina...but Roark, Gardenia, Byron, Winona, Flannery, etc. all showcased their respective TM's...after this episode, I realized that Elesa never even used volt switch, Burgh never used struggle bug, Lenora never used retaliate, and Cilan never used work-up...weird...
    Yeah that's been bothering me for a while. It's not like any of those those attack were to weak to use at that time either.

Work-up buff Attack and Special Attack, so all of the Monkeys attacks would have dealt more damage.

Retaliate makes more sense to use than Giga Impact, and stronger than that move under the right circumstances anyway.

Struggle Bugs not that impressive, but it fits Burg to use.

Volt Switch....I'm sure I don't need to explain this one, we all know how much trouble it gave us.
    Fact: All fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.

Pokemon Red Team: Corona LV.53 Garland LV.44 Salt LV.47 Rime LV.48 Blitz LV.55 Buckle LV. 46 Badges: 8, Elite Four defeated.

Pokemon Crystal Team: Flower LV.62 Torrent LV.61 Echo LV.58 Shade LV. 57 Vortex LV.60 Brand LV. 60Badges: 16, Elite Four defeated, Red defeated

Ranked 5,823rd place in the VGC 2011 Autumn Friendly Tourney

Volt Switch we've seen plenty of with Iris's Emolga, which is probably why Elesa's didn't have it.

the other three moves...retaliate and struggle bug i'd like to see, but Work up will probably be no different from bulk up in animation terms.

Plus a Volt Switch strategy would be too similar to Lenora's battle style.

HELLOOOOO peoples... i'm new here and all.. long time reader first time poster.... ok so where do u guys watch ur pokemon... like i know that there is the tv and all, but wat about the computer?

Well people whined that the Volt Switch might turn the figth annoying, plus like Zard said Iris already has done that, it would be nice to see Satoshi deal with it.

I still like it this way though, they are actually surprising us instead of doing something we already know would happen, since we played the game.

At the end of the day, I don't really care for that anyway, aslong as the battles are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by hol123 View Post
    Plus a Volt Switch strategy would be too similar to Lenora's battle style.

I was quite surprised, and please, she changed her strategy alot from her in game tactics, sure she kept Nitro charge spamming, but the absence of volt switch and inclusion of her "Electric Queen" was great.

I hope they switch things up for gym#5 Yakon-san.

Black and White's battles are very underwhelming. This was my favorite gym battle in Unova but there was no... excitement, no thrill. Everything was so basic.

I liked the exploration of Ash's character, maybe they were reminding us the obvious, with him being more of an improviser, but I thought the way it was shown, through Pikachu, was a great piece of writing. That's the only positive I can give the episode. If the battles had as much effort as the exploration of Ash's character, this would have been a fantastic episode.

Not much the battle could have done. In fact, I think it's one of the few battles played realistically. Literally none of Elesa Pokemon's Electric attacks would have any sort of real damage against Ash, and had Ash not made the mistake of using Snivy against a Flying type, she might have been clean sweeped.

Like Wake, (oddly enough they are both the 4th badge) Ash walks all over the battle from the beginning and a few minor mistakes kept him from walking away 3 - 0. He chose specific counters that worked really well and made her strongest Pokemon, the one he had a planned his entire strategy around a non-issue.

It was a classic case of knocking out the threat early and the others are basically push overs. Ash felt that Zebrastrika would have posed a huge problem if he let it run wild on him like Bel allowed to happen. Instead, he devised a strategy to take it out early and deal with the rest. The rest just seemed to underwhelmed him is all.

Her attacks were ineffective and she was forced to rely on moves that would actually deal some sort of damage. Ash just made her one-dimensional is all.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

i actually liked this episode, i liked how the writers kind of took the p*** out of the fandom, almost, by showcasing ash is better thinking on his feet than planning ahead, kinda shuts some of the whiners up tbh.

i enjoyed the look on zebstrikas face when he was stuck in the wall, mud on his face and knocked out, it was hilarious

Is leaving mid way through a gym battle even aloud?? i mean i was like but poor snivy, she must hate all emolga now :')

and pikachu, go u u tell ash what to do     Spoiler:- :):
    tynamo had an odd cuteness about it, but elesa train u sexy woman :P
    Pokemon white L100 rotation team

Shiny Zoroark

AVID GTS USER
    Im willing to trade if a reasonable offer is given, but never done it before so may need a little guidence :P

One thing I can say about this episode....all of Elesa's pokemon are weak when used against Wall(the very mysterious pokemon...hehe) But on a serious note...I'd have though this episode would have been a little better had Pikachu not won both of his battles with a single hit...It's kinda sad when Quick Attack one shots you
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Man its been a long time since I've seen episode pictures so maybe that could be a reason, but this episode felt great. Actually more hilarious than great, but that is a good thing. I never thought Ash to run off in between a gym match, but I guess you can't predict them all. Pikachu zapping off Ash also felt good. Overall this got me excited for the Champion battle that is coming up.

sigh... ash isn't that good why does everyone think so

Quote Originally Posted by Waterpokes View Post
    This episode was somewhat of a disapointment. I was expecting something more exciting and thrilling, but then it turned out to be pretty medicore. It seemed that Elesa was just another trainer, and not a Gym Leader. Wish we could see her strategy being utilized, but Ash shut her down completely. None of the Gym Battles in B/W has been great nor bad, but they are all too medicore.

Overall, this episode gets a 6.5/10 from me. Just too medicore from me, and you would think an episode with Elesa would boost this episode up, too bad it only helped this score to 6.5, which sucks.
    Don't expect cute gymleaders to always bring badass battles.

My ideal battle ever!

This wasn't a badass battle by any means.

But this was a very well written gym battle which I enjoyed.

- Pikachu was interesting for a change and quite funny.
    - The faces they all made were hilarious.
    - Ash was hilarious and interesting. Seeing Ash realize that strategy isn't really his style of battling and then turning back into his old reckless self was quite awesome indeed. I also lol'd when he left in the middle of the gym just to get Snivy only to realize Elesa's Emolga was female too.
    - I loved seeing Palpitoad get a win.
    - Elesa was amusing. ^^
    - Ash knowing that Tynamo would use the little smoke passage and using the opportunity to Iron Tail it's *** off.

As much as I dislike Snivy not getting a win, I loved this gym battle. It wasn't badass, it wasn't tense but it was interesting, comical, deep and something we should see more often.

EDIT: I also don't think Pikachu was being a drama queen.

I think Pikachu knew from the very start that Ash planning things ahead wasn't going to end well. After all, they've been companions for so many years so seeing Ash suddenly act differently must have bothered him. But after a quick Thunderbolt, Pikachu made Ash realize what it really comes down to in battles - not the strategy, but trainer and Pokémon being perfectly synchronized and battling together.
    Last edited by Janovy; 5th October 2011 at 9:58 AM.

Hey just saw the subbed version Satoshi actually aknowladges he has been overusing Pikachu, Oshawott and Tepig.

He tells Pikachu he has been using them and has to give the other pokemons a chance.

The referee says only the challenger can change pokemon.

Poor Palpitoad. Kamitsure says it isn't the most beatiful choice but its a well though choice or something like that lol.

Then as I though, Palpitoad was really tired he should have retired him, Iris and Dent allude to that.

OMG lol, Satoshi is dumb, is whole strategy was to use Palpitoad not be hit with Electrict attacks and win the figth hahaha, yeah really out of character guys... its just him being dumb like the average Shonen hero.

He goes to get Snivy and she asks if he had other Palpitoads prepared haha.

He actually forgot that female on female attract doesn't work so I guess he knew Palpitoad was male.

Hum I don't have any pokemon that are both strong against electric an flying types, yeah you do Oo(dumb moment again lol).

He realizes that overthinking is not how he usually does stuff and it was making him lose the battle(after Pikachu shocks him).

Kamitsure praises him at then end and tells, that she forgot various things, like battling is not only about beauty but also about the bound between trainer and Pokemon hearts.

Dent also tells him that he used his taste to win the fight at the end.

Kamitsure asks him what city he is going next, he says he doesn't know yet, she points him to Hodome City but then reminds him he bridge is still being repaired and tells them to pass some time in Raimon till its finished being repaired.
    Last edited by Pepsi_Plunge; 6th October 2011 at 10:34 AM.

Ash: Crap, I don't have any pokemon that are strong against flying AND electric attacks. Oh noes.

Roggenrolla: Hi.

@Flapjackmaka- Since when is Roggenrola strong against electric attacks?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast