Thread: Rhetoric Ink

Default Rhetoric Ink

Rhetoric Ink

Introduction
    I've been playing around with some ideas for teams lately. And I realized I had been in a rut with building nothing but balanced teams. I decided to make a more offensively oriented team centered around Scizor. The name of the RMT comes from the name I've been using on PO and it goes with the pokes' nicknames. Each one is named after a famous writer hence the name. The team has mons that I tend to use a lot but its more offensively built so its different. Bulky offense is probably my favorite playstyle and this team is a solid example of the archetype. Anyways without further ado here is the team.

Quick Look

| | | | |

In-Depth Look

|

Edgar Allan Poe(Tyranitar)@ Choice Band
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP | 136 SpD | 120 Spe
    -Stone Edge
    -Crunch
    -Pursuit
    -Superpower

Tyranitar really maims a lot of ****. He's a truly powerhouse mon that can destroy most things that give Scizor a hard way to go. Particularly Jellicent and Skarmory. He lures both in well and thanks to the speed EVs outspeeds and OHKOs and 2HKOs both respectively. This opens a ton of opportunities for Scizor to nab a SD and sweep the opponents team. He also does a nice job at trapping the mons who give Rotom-W a hard way to go particularly Celebi without leaf storm and Lati@s. Thanks to the SpD EVs Tyranitar can take a wide range of hits from the special side and effectively weaken them so something on the team can clean up and finish the opponent's team. Tyranitar also provides me with my weather though this isn't a huge deal because the only one that benefits from sand being out is Landorus who functions well as a revenge killer either way. The moves are pretty self-explanatory Stone Edge provides an extremely powerful STAB attack that destroys anything that doesn't resist and some things that do. Crunch and Pursuit work in tandem as secondary STAB and phenomenal trapping tools for Jellicent and annoying psychic types that try to interfere with the team. Superpower is back up and provides great coverage alongside his dark STAB. The EVs are set so he has maximum HP to take hits well, the rest is split between speed and SpD. The speed EVs let him get the jump on Jellicent and Skarm and anything else that happens to be hanging around that area. With an Adamant nature even without Attack EVs Tyranitar hits incredibly hard only needing a little bit of prior damage to 2HKO Skarm cleanly.

|

Emily Dickinson(Celebi)@ Life Orb
    -Ability: Natural Cure
    -Nature: Modest
    -Evs: 76 HP | 252 SpA | 180 Spe
    -Stealth Rock
    -Recover
    -Leaf Storm
    -Hidden Power[Fire]

Celebi is easily one of my favorite pokemon this generation. She has the ability to check rain well between her grass STAB and hidden power for coverage. Due to the fact that Stealth Rock is no longer a TM in BW, the options for team mates who can lay them is a little stretched. Celebi does well though forcing a ton of switches to get them down quickly and efficiently. The reason I choose Celebi most of the time to be my rain check is because unlike other grass types that check rain well, such as Virizion and Ferrothorn, Celebi has reliable recovery and Natural Cure. These 2 assets alone make her the premier bulky water switch-in and the best choice for how to deal with rain. The moves are set so that she lays rocks down for the team something that is quite necessary in a metagame filled with flying menaces such as the Thundurus and Dragonite. Recover is so she can stay in good health especially since I have a lot more speed on her than most people care to run. Leaf Storm is an incredibly powerful move and can be handy when people think this is a nasty plot set and instead of getting a free switch-in take a 140 base power move that gets STAB. Hidden Power[fire] is for coverage and lets me hit grass types and steel types pretty hard. The EVs are set so she has maximum SpA and the speed is set so she can outrun Admant/Modest Lucario and KO. The rest is dumped into HP for some added bulk. With a Modest Nature Celebi hits incredibly hard against anything that doesn't resist her 2 moves making her an excellent check to rain and an all around reliable attacker.

|

Joyce Carol Oates(Skarmory)@ Leftovers
    -Ability: Sturdy
    -Nature: Impish
    -EVs: 252 HP | 240 Def | 16 Spe
    -Spikes
    -Whirlwind
    -Roost
    -Brave Bird

Skarmory is another poke that happen to like a lot. It is incredibly useful against just about any sand team and walls most of the main mons they typically use. Powerful physical attackers like Landorus and Excadrill quiver in their boots as soon as she is sent out. Basically everytime a physical attacker comes in its a free layer of spikes for Skarmory. And after I've gotten 3 layers up I can just spam Whirlwind to shuffle the team around and rack up a ton of damage on the opposing team which comes in handy when its time to bring Scizor out because he can just nab 1 SD and clean up the opponents team like nobody's business. Skarm can come in handy against most teams walling most powerful physical attackers and even the occasional weak special attacker from there I can Spike, Whirlwind, or Roost to keep Skarm in good health. Usually after I've gotten 3 layers down and there's nothing on the opponent's team that will give me particular trouble I'll sac Skarm to get a free swith-in for someone else on the team to cause mayhem and destruction. The moves are standard for Skarm, Spikes lets me rack up entry hazard damage on anything that isn't part flying or has the ability levitate. Whirlwind allows me to phaze a ton of annoying crap and if its a poorly built baton pass team I can break their chain fast and easy without a worry which is extremely handy. Roost is there to keep Skarm in good health and lets me wall a good amount of things the entire match. Brave Bird is a powerful STAB move that can do a ton to most things that don't resist it despite Skarm's average attack. It also lets me break Excadrill's balloon which makes it that much easier to beat him later in the match. The EVs are set so that Skarm outspeeds other Skarms and gets the Whirlwind first which becomes useful in certain situations. Otherwise the rest is dumped into Def an HP to make Skarm as bulky as possible.

|

Robert Frost(Rotom-W)@ Leftovers
    -Ability: Levitate
    -Nature: Bold
    -EVs: 252 HP | 108 Def | 148 SpA
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Pain Split
    -Hydro Pump
    -Volt Switch

Rotom-W is the premiere bulky water of 5th and for good reason. With Incredible typing and an ability that makes him only weak to one attack Rotom-W is sitting at the top. With excellent STAB moves in Hydro Pump and Volt Switch he can hit a ton of things for a good amount of damage everytime he comes in. Gastrodon or Quagsire giving you trouble? BURN THEM. Will-o-Wisp is incredibly handy in dealing with the mons that give you trouble, not to mention volt switch hits the non ground ones and lets you escape into a counter to keep offensive momentum up. Levitate gives Rotom-W a big edge over other bulky waters because he doesn't have to worry about getting hit for damage by Spikes or Toxic Spikes meaning he has that much more staying power. The only downside to Rotom-W is he doesn't have reliable recovery. Pain Split can be extremely useful though if you time it right by damaging whatever they bring in a lot and restoring Rotom back to full health. This is where Rotom's small HP comes in handy and gives him decent staying power. Will-o-Wisp makes up for Rotom-W not being the bulkiest poke in the world and gives it a way to deal with Gastrodon and quagsire who basically laugh in its face otherwise. Pain Split is for recovery and can actually do a ton of damage to a poke if rotom-w is at low health which is pretty cool. Hydro Pump is a really hard hitting move that just wrecks anything that doesn't resist it and if I happen to be against a rain team Rotom-W becomes incredibly useful by spamming super powerful pumps and Volt Switch to keep pressure on the opponent. Volt Switch as said allows Rotom-W to high tail it out of unfavorable match-ups and does a decent chunk of damage to most things weak to it. Combined with Landorus' U-turn it really keeps pressure on the opponent.

|

William Faulkner(Landorus)@ Choice Scarf
    -Ability: Sand Force
    -Nature: Naive
    -EVs: 252 Att | 4 SpA | 252 Spe
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Hidden Power[Ice]
    -U-turn

Landorus is an incredibly useful mon. And his scarf set is one of the best revenge killers in sand because his STAB and coverage move both get a power boost making his attacks hit like a truck. Landorus allows me to check most anything that boosts itself the major ones being DD dragonite and Volcarona both of whom can cause major damage to this team if they are allowed to set up. Landorus also pairs well with Rotom-W to create a very well esablished pivot system to keep offensive momentum up on the opponent and therefore keep me in the advantage. Not only that but with Stealth Rock and Spikes down on the field it puts immense pressure on the opponent and allows Scizor to sweep easier in the late game by softening up the opponent's team. Between Earthquake and Stone Edge Landorus hits a vast majority of the metagame pretty hard and with hidden power[ice] not a lot of things can switch-in to him safely. The moves are just as I said Earthquake is incredible STAB and thanks to Sand Force it becomes an extremely hard hitting attack on anything that isn't immune to it. Stone Edge couples well with it to form the infamous Edgequake combo and also gets the boost from Sand Force. Hidden Power[Ice] brings up the rear by hitting things like Gliscor for a huge amount of damage and most other things that resist Edgequake. U-turn makes its debut in the last slot and allows for early game scouting and keeps up offensive pressure on the opponent. Naive is the nature chosen because Landorus needs both his offensive Stats and you want max speed for him as well.

|

Ernest Hemmingway(Scizor)@ Life Orb
    -Ability: Technician
    -Nature: Adamant
    -EVs: 248 HP | 60 Att | 200 SpD
    -Swords Dance
    -Roost
    -Bullet Punch
    -Bug Bite

Scizor is the reason I made this team and is quite frankly one of my all time favorite pokemon around. He's incredibly powerful and with all the new Dragons running around he finds a lot more opportunities to set up and do work. The set is pretty standard with a bit more Att EVs so he can hit harder right off the bat. Scizor finds so many opportunities to set up and he is my main check to bulky psychic types like Reuniclus who can really cause the team a lot of harm if they're not dealt with properly. With Tyranitar taking care of most of his counters he really doesn't have much trouble getting a SD and proceeding to rip apart the remnants of an opponent's team. Scizor's ability technician is really what sells him as an amazing sweeper though, with it his dual STAB moves both get a huge boost and make them worth using. With Bullet Punch being priority as well it makes his low speed acceptable. The moves are pretty easy to folllow. With Swords Dance Scizor can boost his attack level to tremendous heights and proceed to destroy anything that gets in his way. Thanks to the special bulk he had he usually doesn't have a lot of trouble setting up. Roost is to keep him from dying to quickly and it makes it that much easier to set up on bulky psychics that can't hit hard enough back. It also makes Life Orb the superior item choice by nullifying its bad effects. Bullet Punch is mandatory STAB and every Scizor should have it. With Priority, the Technician boost, and STAB Bullet Punch just kills anything that doesn't resist it and it means Scizor's sweep won't end prematurely due to something faster being able to KO him. Bug Bite is the other attack chosen and gives Scizor Dual STAB. It hits a ton of things for a good amount of damage and like Bullet Punch it gets a ton of boosts that make it an extremely good attack. In short if I play my cards right Scizor only needs to come in once, nab a boost and its game over for my opponent.

Conclusion

The Team has provided me with a great amount of success. Its probably my favorite team up to date and its easily the one I feel most comfortable playing with. I've been using this team for a good amount of time and it's provided me with a lot of fun and a lot of good battles. If you feel theres anything that should be changed just say the word and I'll think about it.

Thanks

TEAM EXPORT:

Code:
    Poe (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 136 SDef / 120 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

Dickinson (Celebi) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Recover
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Oates (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind
    - Roost
    - Brave Bird

Frost (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split

Faulkner (Landorus) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

Hemmingway (Scizor) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 200 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost
    - Bullet Punch
    - Bug Bite
    Last edited by Fortunato; 2nd October 2011 at 9:39 PM.

credit to extroph
    Facebook | Last.fm | Backloggery

6-0'd by thundurus becoz stone edge from lando misses

ggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Quote Originally Posted by Cometk View Post
    6-0'd by thundurus becoz stone edge from lando misses

ggggggggggggggggggggggggg
    Since TTar has a bulky spread, it could probably take a Focus Blast in the sand, and hit back with Stone Edge. But if it's already at +2 then you're probably screwed if that happens.

Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

If you have a thundurus weakness, I recommend my standard Electivire with ice/thunderpunch, cross chop, and EQ. It is a great thundurus killer, immune to thunderbolt (and speeds up), a little bulky on the sp.def, and attack is a menace with adament nature with 252 EVs. Give it a air ballon it will live a litttle longer. You have NO weakness to ground at all in the team so you can risk it.

credit goes the DarkCharizard2

lol, when I saw this team, I was about to label it as a Sand team.

Nice team.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

I'm not thundurus weak lol Comet just posted that to be a douche.

credit to extroph

Actually, it does look like you have a Thunderous weakness. Rotom and Scizor are the only two that aren't hit for supereffective damage. TTar MIGHT be able to take ONE focus blast with the sandstorm SDef boost, but with this your are pushing it with the miss chance.

Other than this, you are also weak to sand teams if Skarmory gets knocked out. Balloon Heatran will also tear up the team after TTar and Rotom are taken out assuming it runs HP Ice.

Quite a few Pokemon will be switching out a lot, so you're pretty vulnerable to entry hazards. I recommend a spinner. Excadrill will do nicely with SD and an Air Balloon and can replace Landorus. This also removes the weakness to Thunderous assuming Rock Slide hits. If Excadrill isn't right for you, I suggest using Starmie over Celebi as both can check rain teams.
    Last edited by AudinoGlitch; 1st October 2011 at 7:20 PM.

yu heve an volcarnia wikness if stune ege mise wit landrus

Quote Originally Posted by AudinoGlitch View Post
    Actually, it does look like you have a Thunderous weakness. Rotom and Scizor are the only two that aren't hit for supereffective damage. TTar MIGHT be able to take ONE focus blast with the sandstorm SDef boost, but with this your are pushing it with the miss chance.

Other than this, you are also weak to sand teams if Skarmory gets knocked out. Balloon Heatran will also tear up the team after TTar and Rotom are taken out assuming it runs HP Ice.

Quite a few Pokemon will be switching out a lot, so you're pretty vulnerable to entry hazards. I recommend a spinner. Excadrill will do nicely with SD and an Air Balloon and can replace Landorus. This also removes the weakness to Thunderous assuming Rock Slide hits. If Excadrill isn't right for you, I suggest using Starmie over Celebi as both can check rain teams.
    That's really a very situational weakness. Thundurus isn't a problem because I have Scarf Landorus who checks it. Not to mention Excadrill is an even shakier check to it because he has to have sand out to outspeed. Sand teams aren't a big deal either because I have Celebi, Skarmory, and Rotom-W who check it pretty well. Heatran is no big deal between Rotom-W and Tyranitar. The team doesn't like entry hazards but most of them have reliable recovery and the ones that don't are only hit by stealth rock and aren't weak to them. thanks anyways for the rate.

Quote Originally Posted by CraZy RudOlF View Post
    lol.
    Last edited by Fortunato; 1st October 2011 at 9:52 PM.

credit to extroph

Your team doesn't look too bad. I would suggest a few things. CM Latias w/ Wish would function a bit better as a Thundurus check. It can effectively absorb HP-Ice from a non-NP Thundurus and set up on it. Plus, it also provides as a useful check against Rain and Sun teams. You can also try experimenting with Air Balloon Heatran as a counter to Volcarona. It also glues well with Scizor, taking Fire attacks for it, absorb Draco Meteors, and effectively killing Magnezone.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

Image is far too wide. Whitespace within an image counts, it stretches screens. Please check the signature rules.
    [IMG*]http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii592/xPureProdigy69/Eaglehawksfinisheduserbarinwhite.gif[/IMG*]

Spoiler:- In Memoriam:

If you're new to competitive battling and want me to check out your Rate My Team thread, don't be afraid to VM or PM me. I'll be happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by CraZy RudOlF View Post
    lol, I hope this is a joke ^____^ Anyway. Good team Pure ive been using it on PO for the night and it functions well. You aren't very thundurus weak either, and he might be banned soon, and at that point he wont be a problem if that happens.

With rocks, sand and 1-2 turns of Life Orb damage Thundurus is OHKOed by Landorus HP Ice. So if hes not feeling brave enough to use Stone Edge HP Ice will usually KO it too.

This rate was useful.

Lol at CB Tyranitar without any Attack EVs. That thing will hardly ever KO Jellicent. If you put Lefties on it, you have the ability to switch moves and recovery, which is more important than power to me. Otherwise, teh team looks good.
    CONSTRUCTION

SIGNATURE

get it signature under construction hahaha *shot*

Quote Originally Posted by magikarprules View Post
    Lol at CB Tyranitar without any Attack EVs. That thing will hardly ever KO Jellicent. If you put Lefties on it, you have the ability to switch moves and recovery, which is more important than power to me. Otherwise, teh team looks good.

you shouldn't rate when you don't know what you're talking about.

credit to extroph

Wow, very nice RMT, I cant really think of a offensive or a defensive threat to this team, skarmory is taken out by hp fire celebi or easily with volt switch, so its not even good mentioning them. The only thing that annoys me are the EVs given to tyranitar, I can see you made it a very bulky tank it looses lots of power this way. It cant KO most of the aimed pokemon since I'd not OHKO jellycent with crunch (but i'll be very close) and pursuit does around 50-60%, if it burns you with WoW you'd be walled. Also the last thing, i see you have skarmory is the only check to wall/phaze scrafty however its the only check to it on your team and if you lose it you'll have problems with it. Try going for the offensive SD set on scizor since it OHKOs with super power.
    Congratulations for your team. Wish you many more wins with it ^_^.
    Last edited by TheMaster; 3rd October 2011 at 3:35 AM.
    "Everything will be all right in the end.
    If it's not all right, then it's not the end."

you are baton pass weak (chew)

For those who are saying that EV spread on Ttar isn't good,(random calcs)

0 Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs 248 HP/176 Def Jellicent: 88.59% - 104.96%
    28.2% chance to OHKO
    0 Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Superpower vs 252 HP/4 Def Heatran: 89.64% - 105.7%
    33.33% chance to OHKO

Tyranitar has a very high attack stat, so he only needs the CB boost imo.

K hai pure this is a very nice t33m, it's supah awesome huh and i'd use Giga Drainz > l33f strom on celebi cus she already has a l1fe orb.
    nao ur team seems to l3ik spinner support bcuz scizor doesn't like 1 SRs and 3 layers of spikes in his feet huh?' so k idk where to fit a spinnr in ur t3am, but the best would be a starmie, also for t-beam coverage oh yeah.
    yur team is still c00lz without a spinner, and I can't see major threats. gl with it!
    Last edited by Farfan; 3rd October 2011 at 3:58 AM.

you're Sun + Dugtrio weak.

Quote Originally Posted by theebay707 View Post
    Celebi can take it down

Quote Originally Posted by lucario44444444 View Post
    Celebi can take it down
    Doesn't matter if dugtrio dies, aslong as it got its job some by koing Ttar.

Isn't thunderous banned on PO now? Sun+ Scarf Darmanitan can really hurt this team once rotom is gone.
    Witness the truly awesome power of my claimed Gyarados.

Gyarados used Epic Awesomeness!
    It's super effective!
    The foe lost OVER 9000% of its health!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero View Post
    "I moved my Monopoly piece forward two squares when nobody was looking, but I didn't use an action replay so it's totally okay"

Quote Originally Posted by theebay707 View Post

actually duggy really isn't a problem tbh, see as long as I get rocks or a layer of spikes down before duggy comes in he'll KO'd by any attack tar has which means he would have to try and revenge me and even then iirc his EQ can't OHKO without a CB.

credit to extroph