Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Community POTW #40

Quote Originally Posted by Porgon-XYZ View Post
    Because... people like discuss the useless ability. Static is always the better option. Sand Veil is only when used in Sandstorm. Funny thing is that both abilities screw with the opponent.:P
    Looking at Stunfisk's Type-weaknesses - Water, Ice, Grass, and Ground - not really (too many non-contact options for those Types). Plus, contact (outside of a select-few Moves) generally means you're targetting Stunfisk's lower, rather-mediocre Defense, so you likely have 1 shot at Static without Pain Split or Rest to heal, even with Base 109 HP...or a Substitute up to block damage...

Which reminds me - Counters:
    -EQ users with superior Speed (with/without Trick Room).
    -STAB Psyshock users with great Sp.Atk.
    -Dusknoir, Spiritomb, or Eviolite Dusclops with Pain Split (rips hard into your beefy HP) and a follow-up.
    -Toxic and Ghost-Type-Curse users. Your HP is a precious asset.
    -Marowak - Your Subs can be pierced hard by STAB, Thick Club Bonemerang (and it'll ignore Static).
    -STAB Seed Bomb/Bullet Seed/Razor Leaf users.
    -Ferrothorn - Loves Static because of its low Speed and Gyro Ball, plus STAB Grass.
    -Landorus, Gliscor, Flygon, and Claydol are immune to both of your STAB Types, plus Motor Drive Emolga (when released). The 4 currently out have access to Ground STAB and Emolga could use Hidden Power for one of those types.

AWESOME. The 'Fisk is here

[ Disclaimer: Sarcasm ]

Stunfisk is such an awesome Pokemon. Great HP and SDef means Blissey is jealous - as Stunfisk gets better typing - and a possibility to go offensive! In fact, I've seen so many Uber RMTs with Stunfisk in them! (One, at least) Stunfisk will be banned from OU soon, and will be battling the likes of Arceus and Palkia soon!

Hahaha. NU like Dunsparce, but still freaking awesome. OK uh...

Well, Stunfisk has decent defences of 109/84/99. These aren't shabby, but they're not "Wall" entitled. It may just be me but that 81 SAtk is a bit more appealing to be investing in a bit, as it could be played as a tank of sorts. Stunfisk also has a crazy movepool, consisting viably of Surf, Discharge, Thunderbolt, Earth Power, Rest, Pain Split, Scald, Hidden Power, Yawn, Sleep Talk, Camouflage, Curse and to a point Sludge Wave and Physical Moves(Mostly EQ and Payback).

But, of course, Stunfisk cannot be said to be a top-tier Pokemon... In any tier. It's defences are ONLY OK, and coupled with it's typing makes it a bit ill-used, and it's Offenses are positively "Meh". It could do alot of things if it's stats were a tad higher, it's typing was changed a bit or it's movepool was expanded by a smidgen, but it does not do anything worth-while as of now.

A set?

Stunfisk
    Ability: Sand Veil/Static
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SAtk
    -Discharge
    -Earth Power
    -Rest/Power Split
    -Sleep Talk/Substitute

Really the first thing that comes to my mind. a Status-Flinging trapfish that quote "smiles when it transmits electricity"? Awesome. Discharge is the stated Status-flingee, while Earth Power is another STAB that is quite useful. Then, being a "Tank", Rest and Sleep Talk are a good couple(Although I might say otherwise with them new changes if I bother to look :/) and are the soure of healing. However, if you don't like going to sleep and leaving it to chance, Power Split and Substitute make up another option, although arguably equally non-reliable.

Might post more later, I dunno.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckeroo777 View Post
    Stunfisk is better then most ranters take his for. He may be called the luvdisk of gen five, but he has quite a good typing, and great defences. He is a great swampertish pokemon in RU. He can be used very effectivly on just about any RU team. One must remember. There are no bad pokemon. Any pokemon can be good if used right. Except unown. He is REALLY bad.
    actually I made an unown with hidden power psychic and baton passed him 2 calm minds 2KO garchomp well it is still something..

well this fish isnt bad he is great wall especially in UU
    RU is an offence he is good not too good for OU (there he can do some statuses and annoy its rival it is totally outclassed in OU by so many pokemons although he can inflict 4 statuses sleep,burn,paralyze,poisoning which might be very helpful
    he is a good wall overall although it lacks some moves like recover, sleep talk, stock pile it is good to note he is outclassed by gastordon in UU in some ways but he still have it place and also an unique typing which isn't cursed like the grass/bug type.

Haxfisk @ Leftovers
    Sand Veil
    Muddy Water
    Discharge
    Toxic
    Protect

To be used in a SS team. Muddy Water lessens your opponents accuracy (after one accuracy drop + Sand Veil, your opponent has only a 50% chance to land an attack). Discharge is for parahax - quite useful when combined with accuracy drops - and Toxic is for the ground types that cannot be paralyzed. Protect racks up SS/Toxic damage and gives Stunfisk some lefties recovery.

As for EVs... I'd say 252 HP for sure for staying power. The other EVs could be spread into Def, Sp. Def, or Sp. Att depending on your defensive preference or if you just want to hit harder. Same for natures (Bold or Calm).

Other Options:
    Brightpowder to increase evasion.
    Last edited by Fast_shoesXx; 4th October 2011 at 5:38 PM.
    !

^Give it thunderwave. Sand veil+Thunder wave is a great combo, or it was with t-wave t-tar+Gliscor/Garchomp.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Tanking Set
    Stunfisk @ Leftovers
    Ability: Static
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 Hp/ 252 Sp.Def/ 4 Def
    -Discharge
    -Yawn
    -Scald
    -Toxic
    This set is fun to use. Stunfisk can take a few hits and it has a few decent resistances to use. Discharge is good with Static as it makes it almost impossible for the opposing Pokemon to not be paralyzed. Yawn forces switches as does Toxic. Scald is included because Stunfisk is more specially bulky than physically bulky. Scald will do decent damage from Stunfisk's decent special attack stat while giving it a chance to score a burn on a physical sweeper.

Attacking Set

Stunfisk @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Hp/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 4 Sp.Def
    -Thunderbolt
    -Earth Power
    -Surf
    -Hidden Power Fire

This attacking set is so gimmicky and weird, but Stunfisk can just barely pull it off. Stunfisk should be brought in on something that can't hurt it or something that it resists. The dual STAB combo of Thunderbolt and Earth Power has decent coverage, but Hidden Power Fire and Surf are very helpful. Don't expect this set to do much damage in higher tiers. Use this set in Rarely Used where Stunfisk belongs.
    Last edited by Ciliano; 6th October 2011 at 12:21 AM.
    A Remnant of the Battling Academy:
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/200s1s4.gif[/IMG]

My Current Team:

I love how he said go nuts at the end xD
    Black fc: 4899 7102 9771
    "When all else fails critical hits don't."

3DS Friend Code: 1907 9029 9455

Oh man I love this thing. Despite being part Electric-type, it managed to dodge the typing's curse and scrape together a pretty decent movepool. And its face. Dear god, its face. One of my favorite 5th Gen. Pokémon.

Staterp
    Ability: Static/Sand Veil
    Held Item: Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP; rest into DEF/Sp. DEF
    Discharge
    Scald
    Earth Power
    Yawn/Pain Split/Toxic/Sludge Bomb

With its general bulkiness and access to a variety of status-inflicting moves, Stunfisk makes a pretty good annoyer. Sand Veil can help to extend your longevity a bit on a Sandstorm team, but Static can be used anywhere and has a 30% chance of leaving the opponent with Paralyze when they use a physical attack. That means Static + Discharge essentially gives you a 60% chance of inflicting Paralyze on physical attackers every turn. Scald, I shouldn't even have to explain. It has 80 base damage and a 30% chance of inflicting Burn. It's arguably the best Water-type special attack in the game. Earth Power is for STAB. Yawn forces switches with the threat of Sleep, Pain Split gives a chance at recovery, Toxic is just good, and, finally, while Sludge Bomb normally wouldn't see the light of day on most non-Poison-type Pokémon's sets, it has a purpose here in warding off Grass-types. The EVs here are kind of up to personal taste. You can either try to balance out DEF and Sp. DEF for more coverage, or max the Sp. DEF EVs to step a bit further into special sponge territory. Either way.

Countering Stunfisk: This is where Stunfisk starts to get a bit unfortunate. Swampert, Quagsire, Gastrodon, every Rotom that isn't a microwave, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor, Flygon, Garchomp—I'm sure I could go on, but the point is that there's a fairly extensive list of Pokémon that can switch into Stunfisk, take any of its attacks, and hit it back without having to worry about anything but those 30% chances of status infliction.

Partners: Ideally, Tyranitar or Hippowdon. Sandstorm is just nice to have around when you're using Ground, Rock, or Steel-types. Both Tyranitar and Hippowdon can hit Rotom with a Crunch, but I prefer Tyranitar since it also gets Dragon Claw for Flygon/Garchomp/etcetera. Though you'll obviously want some Dragon Dances in there too if you don't want to get snapped in half by an Earthquake before you can make a move. We're also looking for someone to take out those dual-typed Steel counters mentioned above. Heatran comes to mind. And, while we're on the subject of over-used Steels, a Ferrothorn of your own would take care of the Water/Ground-types. Hm... Yeah. That's all I've got.
    Last edited by Indigo Aura; 9th October 2011 at 11:08 AM.

"Sandstorm's 1.5x Sp. DEF multiplier"

Rocks get this, not Ground. (@Above)

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

special is better.
    thunderbolt/thunder
    earth power
    surf/muddy water
    sludge bomb/sludge wave

item:choice scarf/choice specs
    EV's:all special attack
    ability:static
    IV's:special attack
    modest nature
    earth power is self explanitory, so i'll explain the others:
    surf has 100 accuracy, but has no added effects. muddy water has 85 accuracy, and a chance to lower accuracy of those hit. both have 95 base power.
    thunderbolt is accurate, but doesnt have too good a chance to paralyze. thunder is innaccurate, but in rain its at 100 accuracy, and the stronger of the two with 120 power, while thunderbolt is at 95.
    sludge bomb is a bit weaker than sludge wave, but hits one foe, and has a better chance of poisoning. sludge wave is stronger, but hits all pokemon, and doesnt have as good a chance to poison.
    static is the better ability to use to make up for (electric move here)'s low paralysis chance. i would say sand veil, but some of this things moves rely more on rain.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherEffectRain View Post
    "Sandstorm's 1.5x Sp. DEF multiplier"

Rocks get this, not Ground. (@Above)
    Oh. Right. Whoops.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234