Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New combo discovered?

Default New combo discovered?

A few months ago, I was on wi-fi with my Pokemon White version playing in the doubles RM as usual, but during the battle, something strange happened. I don't really know how to put it, but this is basically how it happened

It basically happened like this.

You have been challenged to a double battle.
    Opponent sends out 'x' and 'y'
    Go, Terrakion and Whimsicott.

Turn 1:
    Whimsicott uses Beat Up on Terrakion
    Terrakion gets +4 to Atk thanks to Justified
    Terrakion uses Rock Slide
    'x' and 'y' fainted

The opponent sends out Accelgor and Jolly Tornadus

Turn 2:
    Whimsicott uses +1 priority(Prankster) Encore on Terrakion.
    Terrakion tries to use Quick Attack, but b/c of Priority Encore, uses Rock Slide w/ Quick Attack's priority.
    Terrakion uses Rock Slide after Whimsicott used Encore on it.
    Both of the opponent's pokemon faint.
    You celebrate while opponent goes "WTF! You cheated, you cheating bastard!"

Basically, after the turn where Terrakion used Rock Slide, when Whimsicott used Encore on Terrakion just before he used his priority move, Quick Attack, he used Rock Slide instead of Quick Attack, but this Rock Slide hit with the same priority speed as Quick Attack. Ever since then, I've tried the same thing in double battles w/ My own Encore Whimsicott w/ Prankster and slower pokemon w/ priority moves like Mach Punch, and every time, the same thing happened. I hope this explains thing in more detail.

Note! : If you use the combo w/ a move that targets only a single pokemon, the laws of Outrage will apply...and a random pokemon on the opponent's side will be hit. Good luck trying to predict when this combo will be used. XD, XD, XD .

Please discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    Whimsicott uses +1 priority(Prankster) Encore on Terrakion.
    Terrakion tries to use Quick Attack, but b/c of Priority Encore, uses Rock Slide w/ Quick Attack's priority.
    Terrakion uses Rock Slide after Whimsicott used Encore on it.
    Both of the opponent's pokemon faint.
    So basically, this is "use Encore on a priority move to make a slow Pokemon fast for a turn" not necessarily copying the Whimsicott + Terrakion example. Stuff like Feraligator, Victini, Dragonite and so on can make use of this. Whether or not its usable is debatable

I quite like the idea of this although I don't think I'd be found using it.
    I'm gonna ing you all night long!

It could probably work for some interesting tactics, but it's outclassed by tailwind unless your opponent uses thunderus or whimiscott with thunder wave/stun spore.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    If I get agitated or embarrassed, I have a tendency to say stupid things as a cover up. Think nothing of it.

That is really interesting...

If this is the case it could make double battlers very unusual, and probably bring rise to heavy hitters and encore-users in that regard.

We should experiment more.
    The Journey (Rated R)

A pokemon adventure that will take you on a journey through the lives of budding trainers.

3DS friend code: 2981-6128-1202

Local Vivillon: Polar Pattern. If you want one I shall send it.

i saw that combo once lol
    Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292 6081 8633
    Pokemon White FC: 1721 2727 6172
    League of Legends: ElTazo

We should experiment more.
    I'm trying to think of something....

V-create victini, with quick attack.
    Conkeldurr, mach punch, fighting attack.
    Lucario
    Dynamic punch+Vacuum wave machamp /Probably the best one I thought up.
    Mew just about anything+Vacuum wave.
    Focus punch(though it would be risky).
    Blizzard+Ice shard abomnasnow
    Blizzard+Ice shard glaceon(in hail)
    EQ donphan
    Bullet Punch+Meteor Mash Metagross.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    If I get agitated or embarrassed, I have a tendency to say stupid things as a cover up. Think nothing of it.

When it's available, I normally use this combo if I really need the speed for that specific turn and moves like Mach Punch don't have the power for it. I tested it out for single-target moves as well, but I'm not sure whether it hits the specified target or just fires at the opponent at random. The only real downers I can think of at the moment are the after-effects of the combo and that Whimsicott, Volbeat, and Illumise are the only pokemon (that I know of) that can initiate it thanks to Prankster.

It's useful if you don't want to or can't run/use Tailwind in favor of another support move or as a one-time counter for TR or Tailwind teams. Prediction and preference are the keys to this combo, but it does not work for any moves past the +1 priority or priority users faster than the Prankster Encore user, so Dragonite w/ Extremespeed is out of the question.

Who knows, though. Maybe you all can find uses beyond what I listed or even fathomed. All I can say is that like LinksOcarina said, this could give heavy hitters a chance.

This is interesting. I'm going to try it out.

However, this isn't a combo, it's a glitch.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    This is interesting. I'm going to try it out.

However, this isn't a combo, it's a glitch.
    You might be right, but I'm not sure. The programmers probably didn't imagine something like this happening b/c of Prankster; and also, who would expect someone to use a move like that on their own teammate? Maybe the people at "The Pokemon Company" will change Prankster's priority increase to +0.5 if this turns out to be a game-breaker (and I doubt it will).

Cool story bro. Yes, that's a glitch.
    It's nice for Surf, EQ, etc.
    /thread

Mind if I share this with Smogon or do you think they already know?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Mind if I share this with Smogon or do you think they already know?
    Maybe we should know something they don't for a change...

Anyway, interesting tactic, that, as you've pointed out, give way to many new interesting tactics. However, it does sound glitchy, so I wouldn't be surprised if it got banned like sky drop.
    Hey Serebii, how you doing? Not sure how many of you guys from way back are out there, but just to let you know that I'm back, though I'm not sure how regularly I'll be on. Thanks for everything, and I hope I can continue to enjoy my time here!

3DS Friend Code: 2105 - 8928 - 6860

Looking for any breedable flawless Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Cut View Post
    Maybe we should know something they don't for a change...

Anyway, interesting tactic, that, as you've pointed out, give way to many new interesting tactics. However, it does sound glitchy, so I wouldn't be surprised if it got banned like sky drop.
    The combo only works once per use, hits a random person on the opposing side when a single-target move is used, the priority speed isn't always necessary, both pokemon on the side using it will need to survive a full turn where the attacker can't use Protect (good luck doing that), and if it's anything like the Beat Up combo, it's overly predictable. I don't think it will be banned if this gets out to the masses. If anything, it could put weather teams in check on some ocassions to balance things out.

i hate this combo
    it basically always beats me

There are other, better ways to get a partner to go next. For starters, Cinccino can use After You with 115 base speed, and your partner will attack immediately after. If you want this to be priority, there's an amazing gimmick I invented called the

After You Cannon!

In a triple battle, send up Prankster Murkrow, a Togekiss, and a super-powerful pokemon that will destroy everything with a single Rock Slide or Earthquake(Rampardos, for example). Murkrow and Rampardos Protect, and then Togekiss uses After You on some random opponent. Next turn, Murkrow uses a priority Mirror Move on Togekiss, which copies After You and makes Togekiss go immediately afterward. Togekiss then uses After You on Rampardos, still before anything on the opponent's side of the field can attack, and then Rampardos destroys everything with a "priority" Earthquake of doom. Hooray!

Unlike the Encore-based strategy, the After You Cannon can be used indefinitely, over and over again. I was going to post the strategy as an RMT, but this seems like a good enough explanation.
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

if this combo is not a glitch, then it can be very useful. Then gliscor appears with mamoswine, or something, i dunno i'm throwing good counters to the strategy on paper.
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 3.14kachu View Post
    There are other, better ways to get a partner to go next. For starters, Cinccino can use After You with 115 base speed, and your partner will attack immediately after. If you want this to be priority, there's an amazing gimmick I invented called the

After You Cannon!

In a triple battle, send up Prankster Murkrow, a Togekiss, and a super-powerful pokemon that will destroy everything with a single Rock Slide or Earthquake(Rampardos, for example). Murkrow and Rampardos Protect, and then Togekiss uses After You on some random opponent. Next turn, Murkrow uses a priority Mirror Move on Togekiss, which copies After You and makes Togekiss go immediately afterward. Togekiss then uses After You on Rampardos, still before anything on the opponent's side of the field can attack, and then Rampardos destroys everything with a "priority" Earthquake of doom. Hooray!

Unlike the Encore-based strategy, the After You Cannon can be used indefinitely, over and over again. I was going to post the strategy as an RMT, but this seems like a good enough explanation.
    Even though Rampardos is powerful, if he uses Rock Slide or EQ, it will take 2 to 3 turns to take out a pokemon w/ no weakness to the moves, and there's still a chance that a bulky pokemon who's weak against the move will survive. It will also be an absolute requirement that it is used the turn after Togekiss uses After You; otherwise, the combo will fall apart. You also have to sacrifice the benefit of 3 attacker for 2 supporters, which is normally a very bad call considering how triple battles work.

If I had to think of 2 decent strategies to counter, though, they would be 1.) put the user in a situation where he can't spam one move nor switch out, or 2.) HIT 'EM FAST AND HIT 'EM HARD! The combo can start right after the 1st attack, and if you're doing the combo with a single-target move, I'm not sure if you get to select your target or it hits an opponent at random, soooo yyyyyyeah.....good luck with that. If you could choose with it, it would be more bearable for the receiving end since they can predict and either switch out or use Protect.

A few minutes later...

I decided to run a few more tests w/ the combo, and here's the result. If you use the combo w/ a move that targets only a single pokemon, the laws of Outrage will apply...and a random pokemon on the opponent's side will be hit. Good luck trying to predict when this combo will be used. XD, XD, XD .

This would be really fun to use, I'm gonna try it.
    Fact: All fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.

Pokemon Red Team: Corona LV.53 Garland LV.44 Salt LV.47 Rime LV.48 Blitz LV.55 Buckle LV. 46 Badges: 8, Elite Four defeated.

Pokemon Crystal Team: Flower LV.62 Torrent LV.61 Echo LV.58 Shade LV. 57 Vortex LV.60 Brand LV. 60Badges: 16, Elite Four defeated, Red defeated

Ranked 5,823rd place in the VGC 2011 Autumn Friendly Tourney

To the person who asked if we should inform smogon and the one who said serebii should know something they don't.

I was just about to creat a thread there before I read this and someone found the same glitch as me.

PokeMaster366 still get's some credit for posting it first though of course. Only if I had been a bit faster.
    Smogon Battler and Proud of it!

If you tick me off get ready for a battle challenge.

No offense or anything, but there was a very very VERY similar thread before this.
    Anyway, this tactic is interesting, but is too glitchy and unpredictable. I wouldnt use it, but its still cool

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate Flyers View Post
    Its a very gimmicky combo, and can be easily stopped, and CONTAINS THE MOST BS THING EVER. Not to mention that no one other than pokemaster366 plays doubles anyway, playing doubles is shitter than playing HO. Seriously, when your playing something gayer than HO, you have a problem. Pokemaster, you can get BJs from Whimmsicott from Marriland, Serebii at least has a few decent players (like 1uc4rio80f4s! aka my cousin!
    I thought I told you not to swear on Serebii, whatever I'm sigging this cause its just too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    Even though Rampardos is powerful, if he uses Rock Slide or EQ, it will take 2 to 3 turns to take out a pokemon w/ no weakness to the moves, and there's still a chance that a bulky pokemon who's weak against the move will survive.
    Well, there are ways to give the attacking pokemon some attack boosts. I have a nice strategy involving Trick Room, Sky Drop, Baton Pass, and Bulk Up/Swords Dance, but it requires another team of 3 to fully execute. I'll find time to post all 6 of the pokemon in a 6 - member gimmick RMT later.
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

Why are people so obbesed with gimmicks, they only work like once!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lucario44444444 View Post
    Why are people so obbesed with gimmicks, they only work like once!!!!
    Because when they work, and you get beaten by a team with a Pelipper, an Accelgor, and a Rufflet, I get to go, "BWAHAHAHAHA!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast