Thread: Favorite characters to write?

Default Favorite characters to write?

Who is your favorite character(s) to write about (whether canon or original)? And what makes you enjoy working with them?

Mine is definitely Nate, one of the major characters in my current chapterfic. I find him a lot of fun to write about because he's unusually belligerent, and as a result he tends to push other characters out of their comfort zones. This opens up a lot of opportunity for drama and character development, so scenes that heavily involve him are good for bringing out interesting aspects of the people he's badgering as well as himself. In general he's just good at making things happen and adding energy to whatever scene he happens to be included in. He's also a lot of fun to write in addition to being good to the plot, because he tends towards the over-the-top and ridiculous, which means I get to write more zany/funny scenes with him than most other characters.

Also, he gets worked up easily, which makes him fun to torment. What more could you ask for, as an author?

In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design

Your choice pleases me; it gives me hope that we'll be seeing him for a while in your fic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Negrek View Post
    Also, he gets worked up easily, which makes him fun to torment. What more could you ask for, as an author?
    Wow. Glad I'm not a character in any of your stories, or sounds like life would be pretty miserable!

As for me, eeeeeh I guess I'd have to say Tabitha. He was my favorite character in the anime (for the 5 or so episodes he appeared in), and since I felt like they didn't show enough of him I decided to flesh him out (which I guess what the whole point of fanfiction is, really). I enjoy trying to write him as a serious and authoritative character, but with a soft side that he reserves for his Pokemon with him treating his Pokemon more humanely than some other characters. I'm not one-hundred percent sure that I'm successfully doing it, but the attempt at least is fun!

I also feel that my characters evolve the more I write them; I hadn't planned on Tabitha being as prominent as he is or being especially devoted to his Pokemon, and Golduck was originally going to be less sympathetic and more rude and stubborn. It's just another aspect of writing that I love, as it's sort of seeing where the story takes me and not just where I can move the story to ^_^

My fic, Drowning.
    Cye of the Torrent is my bishie.
    Credit to Sketchie of Coronet Designs

Let's see...

-Karo, for his slight mean streak and the fact that his being roughly 50% nose automatically makes at least most of what he does funny.

-Jal'tai, because well-intentioned extremists are basically my favorite character type of all time.

-Zilag, who practically writes himself.

-Pretty much every bit character I've ever done, possibly because I don't feel the same pressure to get them right as I do with more major characters, pffff.

-Plus a number of characters who haven't made their debut on these forums yet.
    DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK
    (Or do. I don't actually mind.)
    The Origin of Storms | Communication

I want to say this is an easy-peasy answer, but I just have so many characters that I really don't want to play favorites. I'm thinking I should put parts for different stories since even if the stories share a similar Pokémon/character, they're not the same character. Sooooo bear with me xD.

Forsaken:

I love writing these characters and I enjoy them very much, but Deoxys hands down is my favorite character to write, although I'm not sure why. I want to say it's because he's just that dolt who gets into random arguments with Cresselia and others while also cracking (immature) sexual jokes and thus is like the token pervert of the group, but I'm seriously totally not sure why he's so much fun to write. Entei is fun to write, too, to the point I want to coddle him sometimes, but not to the extent of fun as with Deoxys.

Legion's my second-favorite, like he's close to tying with Deoxys. Again, I don't know why, but it could be because the thought of creating such an evil, sadistic bastard had never once occurred to me before in the past until I got to writing him in the story, and then it just surprised me so much that I look forward to writing his scenes. It's almost like a sick fascination that makes me wonder (fearfully) how I could create him, and I just love it. I think what makes it more interesting is he's just "borrowing" a character, and thus is portrayed as such majority of the time (both in writing and in pictures I draw scenes for visual references I swear), but he clearly doesn't act like her at all. Guess the thought of seeing a Mew do such horrible stuff was welcoming (considering it was originally supposed to be Mew herself doing these things) that it ended up creating a separate character out of it. Sometimes makes me wonder if this is how writing split personalities work (or in a similar fashion), and if so, I have so much appreciation for it. In an odd sort of way.

Handle with Care:

Writing Mew's character here breaks my heart a lot, but I enjoy writing her, just not as much as Mismagius/Marjorie. She's another tragic character, and yet I just came to love her personality even though I honestly shouldn't in real life. I think on certain levels of tolerance or ethics or something, no one likes a gossip who has some kind of poor judgment and shallow taste in men wait this is Pokémon, shouldn't I just say "mates"?, yet thankfully Mismagius turned out to be more than that. It's been really great to give her depth and importance to the story that when I wrote out chapter nine and pitted these two tragic characters against each other (well, one-sided anyway), I made sure I was extremely careful with it because this is where it all came to blow up in their faces and brought to fruition their own mistaken, yet tragic choices they had made. It was a hard scene to write because while Mewtwo and Mew's relationship is the main focus and it hurts me just as much to see it fall apart, these two's relationship were just as important, and to tear it apart like that upset me.

Then there's Dr. Mime. I want to say he's complicated especially since he's a doctor, but he intrigues me a lot. It's probably because it feels like there's a lot more to him than has been given (and it's true), and there was the fact I kinda had painted him to be some kind of weirdo/creeper (although this was mostly from Mew's perspective and given the Mr. Mime stereotype yeaaaaaaah couldn't resist) before it turned out that he's a rather humble, honest doctor who cares for the community. Yet despite all of this, I know giving much more of him would destroy his character. The next chapter if I could just finish it, I have the dialogue all written out just gotta fill everything in I think will be what makes or breaks him for the rest of the story. I'm not entirely sure how much my readers have liked him, but I never got any complaints about how I've written him.

Special mention goes to the children characters, particularly Patch and Missy. Siblings are a lot of fun to write because I get to just imagine my family the entire time, but since Missy is an only child and rather reserved, she stands out a lot to me. I liked writing her whenever she came in.

Encryption and other Digimon-related material:

Yeah, basically everything Digimon comes in here and at the end because who cares about Digimon on a Pokémon-centric forum. *laughs dryly before walking into a corner to sob*

I just want to say every Digimon character I've managed to write out so far has been a favorite of mine, if only because it's like a challenge as I have to get myself really acquainted/intimate with these characters, and I just don't do that often. It's sad as I love the franchise, but it's easy for me to walk away from Digimon for longer periods of time than I do with Pokémon. This year has been a rather active year for me with Digimon in a long time, especially considering I haven't written a Digimon fic of any sort since high school, so I'm rather excited about everything when it comes to Encryption, as well as another project I decided to do at the start of this month no, it's not coming to Serebii, go to my FFN account for it. But that's probably because I'm totally biased when it comes to Wizardmon and Gatomon and anything related to them, so I just love writing them out, and I'm looking forward to playing out the dynamics between Gatomon's relationship with both him and Kari. Hopefully, once I get to other characters in the story, I'll come to enjoy them, especially since they'll be "blank slates" despite being Digimon that have shown up in the anime. I got my token pervert character standing in the wings just waiting for chapter five.
    Winner of Best Fic of 2014 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 4 - 7/18/15 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

Quote Originally Posted by starliteevee
    Your choice pleases me; it gives me hope that we'll be seeing him for a while in your fic!
    Well, one of the cardinal rules of writing is "kill your darlings," so... XD

It definitely would suck to be a character in one of my stories, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by starliteevee
    I also feel that my characters evolve the more I write them; I hadn't planned on Tabitha being as prominent as he is or being especially devoted to his Pokemon, and Golduck was originally going to be less sympathetic and more rude and stubborn. It's just another aspect of writing that I love, as it's sort of seeing where the story takes me and not just where I can move the story to ^_^
    Definitely the same for me, heh. It's cool how you can kind of grow to know your own characters over time, the same as you would real people. And like I said in your thread, I can definitely tell you're having fun with Tabitha's character. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sike Saner
    -Pretty much every bit character I've ever done, possibly because I don't feel the same pressure to get them right as I do with more major characters, pffff.
    Side characters have a dangerous habit of getting to be more fun/interesting than the mains. Good bit characters definitely add a lot of life to the narrative, though.

I hope we'll get to see some of the characters who haven't made their debuts around here soon!

In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design

I've got a ton of characters I've loved writing for, particularly from RP, but as for which one I'm enjoying working with the most right now? That would be Caroline, a Scyther and side-character gone main character from the PMD fic I'm currently working on. Her personality and story are both pretty heavily tied in with complicated setting things, but to put it as simple and non-tl;dry as I can, the basic premise of it is that all humans in the setting have been turned to pokémon by an unknown event and the trouble many species have with trying to cope in a society built with humans in mind has led people to divide between the two basic camps of those who feel they should continue living in a human-like way as best they can and those who want to create a new kind of society that caters better to the needs of their species. The main protagonist is firmly in the former camp, and Caroline was originally supposed to represent the latter. I envisioned the two coming into conflict a lot as a result, essentially making her a borderline antagonist, but the more I figured out both Caroline and the protagonist the more I realized that she was honestly going to be the character he'd have the easiest time connecting with.

The more I've tried writing for the protagonist, the more I realized that he's still in denial about his own condition and would find a bunch of pokémon getting together and acting human more unsettling than comforting and the more I worked through Caroline's motives, the more she struck me as someone who'd adapt to the big city life rather than shun it. She also enjoys figuring people out, and is arguably the most perceptive character of the lot, which makes here a pretty good counterweight to the protagonist's stoic tendencies. It made both of them outliers in their own ways, which has made it a lot easier to get interaction going between them. What's more, figuring out what sets Caroline apart from both communities has in itself been a huge help in putting specifics and faces to a bunch of big, general conflicts and prejudices on both sides and just generally made the more nebulous parts of the setting feel a lot more tangible and easier to work with.

Of course, it also helps that Caroline's personality and character voice are shaping out to be very enjoyable to write. She's got a bit of a twisted sense of humor and generally likes to get under people's skin, which makes her great for winding other characters up and taking their out of their normal comfort zones. Plus, gallows humor is always fun for me to write so the voice comes easier to me than most.

So yeah, great foil for the main protagonist, great aid in fleshing out my setting details, and an enjoyable personality that helps me make all kinds of characters open up. Can't ask much more than that of a character really. First character to get a definite name and pretty much a guaranteed lock-in for a central protagonist position. If I get things post-worthy in an even remotely timely fashion, it'll probably be at least partly thanks to writing Caroline.
    Last edited by Creepychu; 13th June 2015 at 2:33 AM.

Miror B, easily. He was a minor villain character (some of the time anyway) in my parody of Pokemon Colosseum. He's a really wacky guy, what with a Pokeball themed afro, a Ludicolo army and a liking for music and dance (to put it mildly). But he was easy for me to write, and fun as well. He was a great excuse to throw in music references, and easy for myself to visualise how he would react to various situations and other characters, and I just found myself involving him more and more into my interpretation of the game's events. And he just suited a comedy.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Fandex! Browse/upload Pokemon Fanworks!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: Game Plot Analysis - The Johto Games! Better or worse?
    Previous Article: What Iwata Contributed to Pokemon. RIP, Iwata. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

Well, when it comes to my favorite characters to write for in PMD: Reflecting Balance, there are a few that instantly come to mind:

All Three of the Main Characters (Blitz the Shinx, Sera the Eevee and Chiaki the Mienfoo): Well, obviously these are the characters I end up writing for the most, but I really love all three of them and how their character development is turning out. The friendship between Blitz and Sera in particular has been a major factor in Sera's character development, and has been the focus of a sub-plot of sorts that will be resolved somewhat somewhere within the next two or three chapters or so. Chiaki is also fun to write for because he is just so innocent and nice, even if he knows very little about himself due to his memory loss. The truth may be something he never even considered, though...

Azure the Azurill/Marill: One of the major supporting characters. She's sort of this energetic and somewhat impulsive character who is always ready for adventure. She's just really fun to write for, and so many of her lines and actions just easily pop into my head when I'm writing her scenes.

Frederick the Deino: He's sort of this nice dragon who often thinks about food. He's not stupid, but he's not the smartest Pokémon around either. Much like Azure, he's really fun to write for. In fact, he and Azure are often in the same scene together. I guess their interactions are really fun to write because they get along so well.

Bow the Gothorita: Another supporting character, and daughter of the current town oracle. She's kind, cheerful and very interested in studying her family history, but she is also rather forgetful. She wants to become a great town oracle someday, but worries that her forgetfulness might get in the way. I find her really adorable to write for, and I especially liked a part in chapter 25 where she and Blitz had a conversation in which they realized that they both had similar concerns about the future, the main difference being that Bow wants to do what others are expecting her to do in the future.

Kala the Abra: Started out as a minor character, but got a slightly bigger role later on. Maybe I just liked this character so much that I just had to think of a way to expand her role. Her personality is mostly based around the Pokédex entry for the species. Kala is rarely seen fully awake, and is usually asleep in her office whenever rescue teams come to ask her to teleport them somewhere. I guess I just think it's fun to think of funny lines for her in response to being woken up from her nap.

Malefica the Misdreavus: Okay, this is a fairly minor character who hasn't even appeared that much. I still feel the need to bring her up, however, simply because in her few appearances so far, she's been so much fun to write for. I guess in some ways she could be considered a foil to Bow. Malefica is childish, mischievous and not really all that interested in her mentor's magic lessons. Her interactions with said mentor were just really fun to write.
    Formerly known as EeveeandKirliafan.

Check out my fanfic! Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Reflecting Balance

Latest chapter: Chapter 44: "Frederick, the ghosts aren't going to eat you!"

Also, for those interested in Winx Club: A Wizard's Perspective

I love writing for Steven Stone (or, at least, my own twisted headcanon's version of him). In my own mind's eye, he is a gentleman in every sense of the word, yet doesn't really know how to deal with emotions--others' or his own. Because of this, I can always go deep into the emotions when I'm writing him because I'm not just analyzing them for the sake of the audience--he's analyzing them because he just doesn't really get it. He also plays well off of the other characters I throw him along with. Brendan and May are his emotional mentors while he's their voice of reason, and the camraderie between the three of them seems genuine any way I write it.

Also, this isn't so much a character as a cast, but I can't get enough of the dynamic between the Hoenn PCs and their parents. Professor Birch is the classic "awesome dad who gets a little too invested in his work", providing reasons for the PCs to be outgoing and know a lot about the Pokemon world and excuses to explore. Norman, on the other hand, is the equally classic "good guy but somewhat absent dad who's still proud" archetype, giving a strong motivation in the form of "make Dad proud and even surpass him!", not to mention all the opportunities for drama. Plus, I've said it before and I'll say it again: the world needs more daddy!Norman.

If we're talking original characters... well, although most of them aren't posted, I have literally almost a hundred Pokemon fanfics, and each of those has at least four or five OCs, often more, so we would be here all day if I started listing. Some of my favorite archetypes, however, are the classic "powerful pacifist" and "super-sweet with a short temper" tropes. The former because it opens up all sorts of philosophical questions for me to explore--while simaltaneously making way for some good comedy!--and the latter because it can be used to highlight the seriousness of a situation--the cute innocent one just lost her head; run for the hills!
    "Sleep is for the weak!"
    Additionally:
    "Everything I touch turns to angst."

The classic Trio--Ash Misty and Brock had great repartee, which makes them fun to write as performers, as RPG characters (of both the video game and tabletop variety), and even as sci fi characters

Though it isn't pokemon-related, I've rather enjoyed writing Allosaurus in the upcoming chapter my dinosaur fic, I'm not sure why, though. I enjoyed it so much, I'm thinking of doing a story on Allosaurus at some point.

"They should all be destroyed..." -Robert Muldoon, Jurassic Park