Thread: Café Travaille!

Default Café Travaille!

Café Travaille!
    Intro

Welcome to Café Travaille!, your one-stop shop for getting over your nasty procrastination habits! Got a huge writing-related project looming on the horizon? Just need a little extra push to get things done? Browse through the lists and tools here for some extra support!

Espresso
    Tools and Links

These tools are designed to help writers stay on track. Download what you need to customize your writing experience!

Spoiler:

If you know of any resources yourself, please feel free to post your suggestions in this thread!

Dark Roast
    Weekly Word War

How about a communal extra push? We got you covered!

Every Saturday from 8:30 PM EST (UTC-5) onwards, you and several other fellow Serebii authors can log into Skype to challenge each other to a word war.

What’s a word war? A word war is a friendly competition in which you and one or more partners write as many words as possible within a given time frame, and whoever writes the most wins. It works like this:

• You and your partner(s) decide on a time frame. In this case, you can go from 8:30 EST all the way to whenever we feel like stopping (and we'll usually announce when that happens), but you don’t have to! If you want a series of shorter word wars (or just shorter word wars in general) or if you want to go well into the dead of night, you can! Just make sure you hammer out with your partner(s) how long you want to go.
    • Once you decide on a time frame, state your current word count in the chat. For example, if you’re starting from scratch, your word count is zero. If you’re continuing a chapter that you’ve written 100 words for, then your word count is 100 words. Your word count is always going to be your current word count.
    • After that, ready yourselves and then declare that you’re starting.
    • Write! Write! Write!
    • At the end of your time period, call time. Use a word counter to figure out your word count. That’s the number of words you’ve written since the start of the war. For example, if you started the war with 100 words, but you’re at 356 when you finish, then the word count you should tell your partner is 256 because you wrote 256 words in that time period.
    • Whoever wrote more is the winner! Congrats!

Of course, this is totally a friendly competition, so there aren’t really any prizes to be won, but if you want to make things interesting, have at it!

So with that in mind, every Saturday, you’ll be able to log into Skype and be invited to a mass conversation with Serebiians. The mass conversation will always have one major word war going on as well as off-topic chatting (meaning it’s a great place to hang out with other Serebii authors!), but you’re more than welcome to break off and form your own mini wars with other members.

To receive an invite to the Skype chat, though, you’ll need to sign up by posting in this thread or sending a PM to the fic mods. That way, mods will have your Skype details and can send you an invite every Sunday. Simply use the following form to get on the list:

HTML Code:
    [b]Your Serebii username:[/b]
    [b]Your Skype handle:[/b]
    [b]Do you want your Skype to be added to the public list? (Y/N):[/b]
    (Note: If you do NOT want your Skype handle to be posted publicly on the list at the end of this section, please use the last field to ensure that we don’t post your deets publicly. The advantage to the public list is others can find you during the week to chat and hold word wars off the regularly scheduled time, but the disadvantage is … well.)

Can’t make a Saturday? No problem! Just notify a mod or make another post in this thread requesting that you be left out of the round of invites for that week, and we’ll be sure to leave you be.

Wondering if there are rules to this thing? Uuuuunfortunately, absolutely, but luckily, they're pretty straightforward:

Spoiler:

See? Painless! So if you're looking to connect with other writers about your projects or whatnot, consider joining the chat~!

Latte
    The Serebii Deadline Service

Need someone to give you an extra push? Use the Serebii Deadline Service! How it works is simple: post here with the form below to request a deadline. Once you’re on the list, you’ll receive one or two warnings from our deadline fairies, depending on how much notice you give us. The first will come seven days before your deadline; the second will come twenty-four hours before. It’s a great way to remind yourself that you have a job to do!

...By encouraging people to pile up on your VM wall.

Yes, folks, this is a service where the community can participate! Anyone can be a deadline fairy, so if you happen to notice that someone’s deadline is coming up soon, drop by their profile and give them a gentle nudge!

The Form
    (Copypasta into a new post and replace the stuff in parentheses with your info, please!)
    HTML Code:
    [b]Your Project:[/b] (Describe your project here. You can use this service for writing entire one-shots, chapters, reviews, school papers—whatever you’d like!)
    [b]Your Deadline:[/b] (The more time you give us, the better!)
    [b]Your Timezone:[/b]
    [b]Pileup? (Y/N):[/b] (If you do NOT want all of the deadline fairies to show up on your wall, please say so, and we’ll make a note that only one person should visit your profile.)
    The List
    (Note: If you’ve completed your work ahead of schedule, please be sure to let us know too, so we can take you off the list in a timely manner! Deadline fairies, please pay attention to the notes beside each name. Some people may not want a pileup!)

Spoiler:
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 24th April 2016 at 3:21 AM.
    Anima Ex Machina | Electric Sheep
    (Sci-fi shenanigans in one convenient signature!)

Author's Profile | Fanfiction.net Profile

When is the start of the Skype word war group?

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 19: The Weight of the World (Part 1)
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 2)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    When is the start of the Skype word war group?
    Hey there! If you mean when will the first one be, that'll happen this weekend, July 5. Feel free to correct me if you meant something else, though!

Currently, I've got a couple of requests to be added to the Skype invite pool, so if you'd (general you'd) like to be added, hit up either the thread or modly PMs!

Yes, that was it, thanks. I needed to know how much time I have to get the program set up.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 19: The Weight of the World (Part 1)
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 2)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

As a reminder! The first weekly Serebii Word War is beginning right the eff now! You can join whenever, but remember: I'll need your Skype deets to add you. D:

So join, join, join!

Okay, requesting a deadline to get my lazy butt to start writing!

Your Project: Chapter 11 of my current fic
    Your Deadline: July 20
    Your Timezone: Eastern Standard Time
    Pileup? (Y/N): Yes!

Thanks so much!

My fic, Drowning.
    Cye of the Torrent is my bishie.
    Credit to Sketchie of Coronet Designs

Quote Originally Posted by starliteevee View Post
    Okay, requesting a deadline to get my lazy butt to start writing!

Your Project: Chapter 11 of my current fic
    Your Deadline: July 20
    Your Timezone: Eastern Standard Time
    Pileup? (Y/N): Yes!

Thanks so much!
    Aaaaand added to the list!

For the deadline fairies (and as a heads up to you, star), that means we're looking at a seven-day warning on July 13 and a twenty-four-hour warning on July 19. Good luck!

Hey, all! Due to traveling issues, the weekly writing chat will unfortunately not be held by yours truly. If the regulars would like to hold the chat on their own, you folks are certainly welcome to.

See you next week!

I'm going to go ahead and sign up for the Weekly Word Wars, even though I may not be able to make all of them (currently I'm not in full control of when I can use a laptop, but I will get a laptop of my own soon.). This will be an interesting thing to do for NaNoWriMo and beyond.

Your Serebii username: American--Pi
    Your Skype handle: American--Pi
    Do you want your Skype to be added to the public list? (Y/N): Y

So now that you've gotten my information, all I need to do is open Web Skype and click on the invite link?

Quote Originally Posted by American--Pi View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and sign up for the Weekly Word Wars, even though I may not be able to make all of them (currently I'm not in full control of when I can use a laptop, but I will get a laptop of my own soon.). This will be an interesting thing to do for NaNoWriMo and beyond.

Your Serebii username: American--Pi
    Your Skype handle: American--Pi
    Do you want your Skype to be added to the public list? (Y/N): Y

So now that you've gotten my information, all I need to do is open Web Skype and click on the invite link?
    No worries about not making all of them. Feel free to let us know whenever you don't want to be invited, and we'll be sure to leave you be. In the meantime, pretty much! I'll send you a contact request the next time I'm on (probably not tonight but certainly before Sunday). Just hit accept, and I'll add you to the conversations whenever they happen. Afaik, they kinda automatically add you (so none of that pleasant "do you want to be added" stuff Windows Live used to have—*sigh*), so the contact request will be the only thing you'd have to accept. And yeah, that sounds shady, but I don't believe it's possible for a person to add another user unless they're on their contacts list. D: Sorry!

Tl;dr, keep an eye out for a contact request from jxvalentine. ;D

*checks the time* It's 6:45 PM here in California, which means it's 9:45 PM EST. Will there be a Weekly NaNo War today? I've been checking Skype every half an hour and I haven't received any invites yet...

Quote Originally Posted by American--Pi View Post
    *checks the time* It's 6:45 PM here in California, which means it's 9:45 PM EST. Will there be a Weekly NaNo War today? I've been checking Skype every half an hour and I haven't received any invites yet...
    Sorry about that! Had to deal with an emergency earlier today that put me an hour behind schedule, but it should be starting shortly!

Ever since I read thisa few days ago, whoever made the Espresso has my approval for I love to have musi in the middle of my writing time. Calm.com is just too god for me to pass up.

Please keep my young partners in company.

I love these Cafes. Can we have them more often? Or at least an active Skype group?

"It starts as an idea and then becomes a legend."

|.|Join SPPf's Pokémon Animé Style Battling League, where Trainers fight in Pokémon battles to become the very best.

ASB Trainer
    Former Fire GT || Disney Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Schaden Freude View Post
    I love these Cafes. Can we have them more often? Or at least an active Skype group?
    Haha, ngl, I'm thinking of moving it to a sane time because these past few weeks, a lot of people have been offline for them. XD (Which is to say I am so sorry I'd missed you these past several weeks!) Feel free to let me know what time would work better for folks in general.

If you meant more during the week, I'll see what I can do. *nod* I tend not to get home from work until late, so unless someone would like to volunteer to set chats up, weekday cafes might be shorter and later in the evening (EST). Let me know what y'all think!

Heeey, folks! I've been thinking. My usual Saturday engagement is kinda petering out, which means I may or may not have time to host writing groups on Saturdays (possibly instead of Sundays because I now have Sunday engagements). These can potentially be longer, although they'll likely start at the same time, and in any case ... Saturday.

Tl;dr, would anyone be interested in having the Skype group be moved to Saturday, starting next week?

I personally would love it if the Weekly Word Wars were moved to Saturdays. I'm kind of in a transitional period of my life so nothing's set in stone right now, but I'm definitely in favor of having the Word Wars on Saturdays because currently on Sunday evenings I have to make a two-hour commute from home to college (and besides, Saturdays. IDK though, because like I said, I'm in a transitional period where my weekly schedule is kind of all over the place.

tl;dr Still in favor of moving the Weekly Word Wars to Saturday.

I think that's a good idea. Let's give it a shot.
    "Most of the titles for my pieces arrive because on computer, you have to call them something. So I have."
    -Ringo Starr

-------------------------------

Pokémon: Convergence

Next Chapter: Chapter 7

I'm in, Jax! Actually decided I'm going to take down one of my stories and rewrite it from scratch...so I need a kickstart on that~
    I have claimed Nuzleaf

Current Chapter Progress: Chapter IV, 10% complete
    Second Place: Best Pokemon-Centric, 2013 Fanfiction Awards
    Credit goes to Brutaka for the banner

Haha, sorry about the incessant update posts, guys, but in case you're wondering why the Skype group chat hasn't been established this week, it's because of ... technical difficulties! \o/ For whatever reason, Skype has been giving me (and maybe a few others?) a lot of troubles lately, and consequently, conversations are becoming increasingly un-doable on that platform. Because of that, we'd like to look into alternative chatting means (IRC? Slack? Something else?), so if you've got any suggestions, feel free to shoot them our way.

In the meantime, as a heads up, yours truly will be out-of-town next week and therefore unable to host. If you're interested in hosting, please feel free to step on forward!

XD I actually forgot about the Skype group today (but I was writing!), so hearing that makes me feel a little better, but also that suuuuucks. So much for Skype, the bastards this is why I refuse to update it.

Well... I know of a server called Chatstep that anyone can sign in and join a chat as long as there's a link. I don't always have the best Internet, so I think, but when I had used it for the first time about a month ago, I didn't have any problems at all (but I was probably lucky that day). Far as I know, it does work pretty well, it just all depends on the person's Internet connection (but the host will remain up as long as there's a link, so people can come and go as they please).
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2015 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

Hey, guys! So, uh, hate to be a buzzkill, but due to a few things that've happened lately (namely, some stuff's come to my attention and whatnot), I'd like to jot down a few new rules to make sure future chats run smoothly. These will be instated officially starting next week, seeing as we're kinda in the middle of the current week.

(As a side note, I completely forgot about the suggestion KP made. XD Skype seems to be working all right now, though, but is anyone having trouble with it still? If so, would anyone like to give something else a try?)

Right! Rules! Here we go~!

1. Serebii rules totally apply (except, well, the "no one-liner" one, unless you're legit spamming the chat or something ... 'cause it's a chat). We haven't had any trouble with this one ever, but it's worth saying. What that means is don't link us to anything inappropriate, don't start or engage in flame wars, and definitely do not hit on other participants or otherwise make them feel uncomfortable or unsafe to be in the room. You will be booted immediately if you do that last one, and you won't be invited back in.

2. The chat starts at 8:30 PM EST. (Please use this to figure out times if necessary. You'll want to choose New York for the converter.) While it's fine to start the chat yourself, we ask that you do not do so unless a mod is present. That's for your safety and our peace of mind, really; it's easier for us to deal with something that happens if, you know, we're there to see it. Also, please avoid starting too early (five minutes early is fine; anything over that is kinda iffy) because that might cause confusion for some folks.

3. You are absolutely allowed to invite people to the chat, and you don't need to contact me (or a mod) to do it! Simply click on the + sign in the corner of the chat and hit "Add people." Then, select the person you want to invite in, and boom! However, there are a couple of catches to this. First, please don't invite someone without asking them first. That's a good way to lose a friend. Second, as this is a chat for Serebii fic authors, we ask that you limit your invites to people who are already members of Serebii's fic community or who are thinking of joining in.

4. If you want to talk to another member directly about a thing that is not writing-related, please do so in a side window. Don't engage in off-topic discussion right in the public channel.

Thaaaat's about it! Thanks for reading, and here's hoping everyone's comfy in future chats. b)'')b

As always, if you've got questions, comments, or requests to join in, feel free to hit me up~!