Thread: The Official Serebii NaNoWriMo Thread

Default The Official Serebii NaNoWriMo Thread

The Official Serebii NaNoWriMo Thread
    Bumpable in April, July, and November by your schadenfreude-lovin' mods!

Welcome to The Official Serebii NaNoWriMo Thread, your one-stop shop for … crying publicly with other people who are also participating in this challenge. Here, you’ll find support, tips, and everything else you need to hit that 50k word goal … or any other word goal, for that matter!

What is NaNoWriMo?
    NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is an event held every November on the internet. (You can sign up for the official challenge homepage here!) In this event, your goal is to write fifty thousand words in thirty days, from November 1 to November 30. It’s ultimately a challenge, not a competition. While you get some neat prizes if you hit 50k words and log that into the official website, the whole point is really to push yourself into writing as much as possible in a restricted time frame.

What is Camp NaNoWriMo?
    Camp NaNoWriMo are two events held every April and July. The challenge is identical (write 50k words in a month, from the 1st to the 30th/31st); it’s just that it’s held in a time frame that’s a little more doable for writers (summer, as opposed to the dead of a fall semester).

Does it have to be 50k words?
    Weeeelllll … 50k is the official count because that’s supposedly the minimum length of a full novel. However, if you’d rather set a lower or higher goal for yourself, have at it!

What can you do in this thread?
    This thread functions like a mini official NaNo site. You can come here to talk about your projects or to commiserate with your fellow NaNoers. There will be weekly check-ins where you can tell us about your progress in the week, and every so often, there will also be prompts, real-time events, and all kinds of other fun things to help push you along. Not doing NaNo? Then you can also drop by this thread to root for friends or favorite authors who are! In short, this thread is for the community to band together under the banner of … well, masochism, but probably a better word than that.

Wat. What events?!
    Every Sunday, Café Travaille!’s Word War becomes an official Serebii NaNo War. See the other thread for details and to make sure you get on the list for invites!

Otherwise, every Saturday will be check-in day. Check-ins are pretty simple. Once a week, a mod will call for check-in, and if you’d like to participate, all you’d have to do is make a post about your progress. What’s your word count for that week? What hurdles have you encountered? How’re you doing mentally? Anything and everything you’d like to talk about (concerning your project), you can talk about! There will also be bits of advice or tiny writing exercises for you to check out.

The rest of the week, you are absolutely free to use this thread to talk about whatever you’d like. Don’t feel like you have to post only on weekends! If you need support or if you just want to rant about NaNo, go riiiiiight ahead. We understand. D:
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 30th June 2015 at 10:38 PM.

Camp NaNo July 2015: ROLL CALL

All right, campers! Who’s in? Sound off! For your very first weekend prompt (yeah, I know it’s not the weekend, but whatevs~!), drop by and talk about your project! Are you just now throwing something together because you’ve just learned about Camp NaNo? Have you been hyped up about this since the last Camp NaNo, and you’re ready to punch this challenge in the face omg? Are you not participating, but you have plenty of popcorn to share with everyone else who’s also just sitting on the sidelines watching us? Feel free to come by! Summarize your projects if you have them, talk about your worries or what you’re most excited about, and so on and so forth!

Even so I don't post here often, I am doing Camp NaNo this year. Don't worry, I'll continue working on my fic and have the next chapter posted soon. I think I'll just quote my synopsis from my Camp NaNo page. Calling this novel, I guess you can call it that, Monster. Going for a 25,000 word count, so not a full NaNo but half of it, as a prep for November. Good luck everyone!

There are many things in life that can corrupt oneself. Love, hatred, all of these emotions can change how people are. Kennan, a teen from a small town, is about to reach a new level of low with the new school year. With new intruders into his life, he fears that these emotions will turn him into a monster.

fiery shounen protagonist
    Tumblr

Ooh, I was wondering when this was going to appear! I've never done NaNoWriMo even though I've seen a lot about it, but I think that this year I DO want to try it! I recently just took a break from writing, and last night I wasn't able to get any sleep because my creative juices were flowing so I started on my story again. So, I guess that's a good sign! Maybe not for my health or sleep schedule, but perhaps a bit of divine intervention to let me know that I am to try this out? I don't know, but I'd like to think of it that way lol. I just now wrote 1,324 words, so that's all right, yes?

And I have a question: I assume that our project--all 50k words or however long we're going for--is supposed to be dedicated to one project, right? As in, we can't work on multiple small stories?

My fic, Drowning.
    Cye of the Torrent is my bishie.
    Credit to Sketchie of Coronet Designs

Yooooo, Lost! Good luck with the 25k run. Your story sounds like it's full of delicious angst, so color me intrigued.

And to star...!

Quote Originally Posted by starliteevee View Post
    I just now wrote 1,324 words, so that's all right, yes?
    Well, while I should probably encourage you to get some sleep, that is a good count for two hours into the challenge. XD

And I have a question: I assume that our project--all 50k words or however long we're going for--is supposed to be dedicated to one project, right?
    Actually! You can work on as many projects as you want. The important thing is hitting that 50k goal. And to that note, if you wanted to split things up into multiple projects, you certainly wouldn't be alone; a lot of people do just that for one reason or another.

Which miiiiight be a good segue for yours truly to state that she is doing the challenge too with two different projects. There is, of course, the continuation of AEM, but I'm also working on a cyberpunk Nuzlocke chronicling called Electric Sheep. (Also technically, the official challenge encourages you to start from scratch, but they're also like, "Hey, whatever floats your boat so long as you count only the words you write during the month-long period." So I am abusing that to its fullest extent. ) Because I've pretty much talked forever about AEM over the years, I'mma gonna go ahead and skip the summary for that, but with Electric Sheep, it's ... a bit of a complicated story:

Spoiler:- Which is behind a spoiler because this gets long!:

Tl;dr, this'll be a fun month for me, no doubt. 8D And good luck to all my fellow participants~!

Haha, oops. I totally didn't nearly forget this!

WEEK 1 CHECK-IN

Congratulations! You made it one week, fellow NaNoers! Take this time to catch a breather and tell us how you're doing with your projects!

(We'll be back soon with other fun stuff. Low turn-out this year, so check-ins miiiiiiight just be for talking about your progress. D: )

WEEK 2 CHECK-IN

HAPPY MIDPOINT, NANOERS!

As a reminder, folks, winning begins in two days! As in, if you're using the official Camp NaNo site, be sure to compile all your words and prepare for validation to get your sweet, sweet winners' prizes.

In the meantime, how's everyone doing this fine afternoon? Just remember: even if you didn't post at the beginning of this month's NaNo challenge, you can still drop by the thread to talk about your projects or give your support to the folks who're playing!

This Week's Tip: Schedule a Breather
    Ever do a marathon run wherein you work for hours and then just feel exhausted by the end? Ever look at your word count after that and go, "Why have I not written more?" Do not feel guilty! For some people, writing for hours and pulling off 10k+ in a day is perfectly do-able, but for others, it gets more and more difficult to concentrate the longer you spend hammering out your daily NaNo count. If you're one of the latter, you're not a slacker, but the more you push yourself to do a writing marathon, the more likely you'll end up on Tumblr or Facebook for three hours.

Here's one possible solution: schedule yourself a breather. Rather than force yourself to write all night, break up your writing marathon with short, evenly spaced breaks of a consistent length. For example, try writing for a half an hour, take a half-hour break, and go back to writing for another half an hour. Or choose a time that works best for you.

Breaks are a necessity if you're working for long periods of time. While some people can go for a long while without a break, mental exhaustion is a problem for everyone. Don't be ashamed if you need to take frequent breaks. It's perfectly okay to rest and recharge before another sprint!

This Week's Activity:
    Disclaimer: Activities are perfectly optional to do, but they're intended on helping you prod your brainmeats to life. If you choose to do them, feel free to post the results in this thread!

For this week's challenge, ask your main character how they're doing at this point of your plot. It's the Midpoint Check-in, so surely, they have just the best things to tell you. What was their favorite part so far? What was their least favorite? How are they faring against the random zombie apocalypse that you threw in last week in response to your writer's block? Write up an interview between yourself and your character and post it below!

WEEK 3 CHECK-IN

LAST CALL, NANOERS. Today is the last Saturday of the last Camp NaNo of 2015, so how are you lovely folks out there doing? Still hanging in there? Already beat the challenge? Let us know in the replies below! In the meantime, if you have hit your word goal and have an account on the official Camp NaNo site, remember to validate to get your delicious, delicious swag!

This Week's Tip: BACKUPS OMG
    We're getting to the end of the challenge, so this week, we're taking the time to remind you that BACKUPS ARE A GOOD THING, DEAR GOD. Nothing sucks more than having met your word count, only to lose everything to a expertly timed computer fail. So be sure to save and save often and save your saves to locations other than your hard drive. Abusing cloud storage (i.e., Dropbox, Google Drive) is a nice way to guarantee that you'll always have access to your most important writing docs from any computer, but there's really nothing wrong with a good ol' external hard drive or USB stick. Heck, save your work to all of these if it'll help! Point is, the more up-to-date copies, the easier it will be to recover when something goes wrong, and that is an extremely important ability when you're nearing the finish line.

This Week's Activity:
    Disclaimer: Activities are perfectly optional to do, but they're intended on helping you prod your brainmeats to life. If you choose to do them, feel free to post the results in this thread!

Alternate realities. They're fun to play with, aren't they? Just one tiny thing in the entire history of everything can create a butterfly effect that renders the present nearly unrecognizable. Your activity for today is think about a thing that's happened in your NaNo project so far. Find a place where a character had to make a decision. Now, I know what you're thinking. I'm about to ask you to write a fic about what would have happened if the character chose the other thing, right? WRONG. What I want you to do is take another character in that same scene and give the decision to them. What would turn out differently if it was just another person in the original character's shoes? What would stay the same? Talk about it below!

CAMP NANO II, 2015: WRAP-UP

AND WELCOME TO AUGUST!

Hello, NaNoers! Did you make it? Did you fail spectacularly? What kinds of experiences did you have this month, and what did you learn? Take this time to decompress and talk about what you did and how you did it!

This thread will be open for one more week before being closed until November. Feel free to chat at length about how your NaNo experience went!

I don't post much here on SPPf, but I stumbled upon this thread when I decided to binge post. xD I don't do Camp NaNo 'cause I'm usually busy enough during the summer as it is, but I do the main event in November. The events you have going here are pretty rad, so I might check 'em out during the actual NaNoWriMo!! Looking forward to the main event in November! i should probably start actually fleshing out my story sooner rather than later xDD