READ THE REVIEW REQUIREMENTS!
Bobandbill approved! Also apparently this thread is allowed to be bumped no matter how old it gets and not violate the rules of the Cafe, so review away, even if it's been a while!
This is place to come if you want reviews for a story, and the review type is "depth", aka more substance and more constructive.
This is taken from a very popular forum over at Fictionpress.com. Think of it as the Review Exchange, but non-binding. Basically, you are only required to review one chapter of any given fic, unlike the Review Exchange, where you need to review the entire fic.
This is the basic structure of the Review Game:
Person 1 says: Review "Sin"!
Person 2 says: Ok, I reviewed "Sin", ch 1 . So can the next person please review "Blazing Heart" or "Scattered Sparks"?
Person 3 says: Done (I did "Scattered Sparks", chapter 4), so can the next person review "Lesson of the Songbirds"? Thanks.
NOTE: Before you post here asking for a review, you must first write/post the review for the story ahead of you. You can't "claim" a spot. Go, write the review, and then post here saying you did it, and you will become next in line.
For Stories Depth, your review needs to fulfill these requirements, otherwise you will not be seen as someone who has fulfilled their obligation and you can thus not participate. (meaning, you will not be given a review in return).
Choose at least four of these eleven and comment upon with at least two sentences. Comments like "That was totally cool, update!" or "I want to read more" does not constitute as a sentence that is to be counted, in this case. This doesn't mean you can't put it in the review, just don't count it as a point.
Also, each sentence must comment on something different in the area. For example, 'I really enjoyed the piece. I thought it was very enjoyable' does not count as two sentences. "I really enjoyed the piece. It was enjoyable because I could relate to the characters' is acceptable.
So... here are some prompts for reviews. It does not need to come from this list, if you see something else worth commenting on. These are merely here as a guide.
- Opening (did it make you want to read onwards? Did it lack a hook? How so?)
- Ending (did it make you want to read onwards? Did you feel closure? Unfinished? How so?)
- Scene (what stood out to you in a particular scene? Was it good or bad? How so?)
- Dialogue (how did it flow? Awkward? Didn't fit the age group that were speaking? Forced? How so?)
- Characters (too empty? Not enough to give an impression? Feel sympathetic? How so?)
- Relationships (is it credible that those two characters behave the way they do? Too unnatural? Forced? How so?)
- Writing (too flowery? Too many adverbs? Too oldfashioned for a high-school drama romance? Perfect match? How so?)
- Spelling/Grammar (anything that stuck out and needed to be corrected?) Note: Pointing out an absence of flaws does not count.
- Enjoyment (how did you feel from reading this and WHY? Were you dozing off? On your seat with suspense? How so?)
- Plot (clichéd but well done? Interesting idea but poor execution? Suggestions on how to thicken it? Got no idea where it's heading, but interesting anyhow? How so?)
- Pace (are things progressing too slowly? If so, what should happen?)
- Techniques (how well you feel the techniques were used to convey the ideas in the story? How they were used an what effect it gave to that part of the story?)
- Other (anything you felt was left out from the other commentaries? Any areas you think weren't covered by the above categories?)
Note: Summary and/or title is not a category of its own. Neither is descriptions. The latter belongs to "Writing".
Here is a suggested way to format your review in order make sure it fits the qualifications. Again, doesn't really have to be this way, but it helps keep thoughts in order.
[Area 1 from above] = Two sentences about this
[Area 2 from above] = Two sentences about this
[Area 3 from above] = Two sentences about this
[Area 4 from above] = Two sentences about this
Please remember that you do not need to make your review in this structure. It can be one flowing text, like how you usually review, and after writing what you had to say, compare with the requirements and see if you fulfilled them. Otherwise, just add what is "missing". No need to be so formal unless you don't want to. And remember that flaming is prohibited.
Keep in mind, players who use multi-chaptered fics, that it isn't fair to the other players if you ask for chapter 12 to be reviewed, because there is a sizable chance that your reviewer may not have read the preceeding 11 chapters. If asking reviews for a chaptered fic, please try and ask for reviews early on in the story if at all possible. I mean, there's nothing stopping you from asking for later chapter reviews, but don't take it personally if the reviewer has no idea what's going on in the story and remarks upon that in the review.
And finally, if you are going to ask for a review on a non-pokemon fic, please give the reviewers a second (preferably pokemon fic) option, in case they are not in that fandom, and/or have no interest in that fandom. This prevents the RG from stagnating.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!