STATS
    HP: 125
    ATTACK: 58
    DEFENSE: 58
    SPECIAL ATTACK: 76
    SPECIAL DEFENSE: 76
    SPEED: 67

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/171.shtml
    Lanturn has a nice niche of being one of two pokemon that are Electric and Water type, and one of the two with Volt Absorb. Sadly, it has very mediovre stats, except for HP. Lanturn is a pokemon that, when used correctly, can do really well in RU. However, anything past that is unlikely thanks to his mediocre stats. Or is it?

OFFENSIVE MOVESET
    Lanturn @ Life Orb
    Volt Absorb
    Timid
    120 Hp / 252 Sp. Atk / 136 Spd
    - Agility
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Surf/Scald
    This is a set a recently came up with. Lanturns base speed is terrible, however, with Timid and one Agility, it becomes a respectable 448 Speed. With that out of the way, he can kick some butt. Boltbeam coverage lets him hit just about everybody in RU. Surf is for power, Scald is if you want the potential to burn. Either way, with LO, it can do pretty well.

Imma be a glowy Sponge!
    Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Volt Absorb
    Bold
    252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    - Amnesia
    - Toxic
    - Protect / Aqua Ring
    - Scald/Discharge
    This set is to wall pokes, or just annoy them. Amnesia to boost Sp. Def to 376. Toxic and Protect for Toxicstall. However, Aqua Ring lets him heal 1/8 of his health every turn. Scald for burn, but Discharge could paralyze.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Bold, Volt Absorb
    EVs: 220 HP/252 Def/36 SpA
    - Stockpile
    - Scald
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam

This is a more defensive set. Stockpile increases both Defenses by one stage, up to the max possible, three. With a couple of boosts, Lanturn can do quite well.
    Scald and Thunderbolt are for dual STAB, and they have a chance to Paralyze or Burn the enemy. Ice Beam adds coverage and forms BoltBeam combo. Set courtesy of Haru Glory

Now, Lanturn has Water Absorb for DW, however, it is not out yet, so I haven't been using that. IMO, this ability isnt as great as Volt Absorb for three reasons:
    1. Water does half damage anyway
    2. More electric types in RU than water types
    3. More pokemon can learn Thunderbolt
    So I wont be covering it. Feel free to discuss its uses anyway.
    Thanks for reading! Now discuss the amazingness that is Lanturn.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

lanturn is actually a pretty cool mon and a surprisingly good check to an abundant amount of rain teams. He can be used pretty well for a cool amount of things and with volt absorb it makes him a pretty good check to thundurus. Anyways thats all I have to say pretty cool mon with some pretty cool sets.
    Some rules are made with all intentions to break
    And she defends it with a warped rationale
    But I've seen what happened to the wicked and proud
    When they decided to take on the throne for the crown

Facebook | Last.fm | Backloggery

This is actually a good counter-balance with rain teams. Throw it on there gives you bulk in the rain, stab with water and then, if given thunder, huge damage bonus.

He is also a good recipient for stat boosts via baton pass; anything throwing speed up and passed on should watch out for Lanturn, the HP gives him a fair amount of bulk to work with, even though it is pretty frail otherwise.

I can see him going in some UU teams with some finagling...although OU is a bit of a stretch.
    The Journey (Rated R)

A pokemon adventure that will take you on a journey through the lives of budding trainers.

3DS friend code: 2981-6128-1202

Local Vivillon: Polar Pattern. If you want one I shall send it.

Take off the offensive set. 76 SP.A is terrible for a sweeper, even in RU. Agility sets barely work for things like LUCARIO, why would you think an RU poke could pull it off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    What was that Regarde. I couldn't hear you with all of that dick in your mouth.

^Greatest Cosplay Evar^

Quote Originally Posted by R4GEKILL!!! View Post
    Take off the offensive set. 76 SP.A is terrible for a sweeper, even in RU. Agility sets barely work for things like LUCARIO, why would you think an RU poke could pull it off?
    Cuz I used it. And Lucario cant pull it off because of so many common weaknesses (like Mach Punch)

Why not trying a Defensive set with Stockpile? It increases both Defenses by one stage, very useful.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Bold, Volt Absorb
    - Stockpile
    - Scald
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam

As I've said above, Stockpile increases both Defenses by one stage, up to the max possible, three. With a couple of boosts, Lanturn can do quite well.
    Scald and Thunderbolt are for dual STAB, and they have a chance to Paralyze or Burn the enemy. Ice Beam adds coverage and forms BoltBeam combo.

Back in the Serebii.net Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Haru Glory View Post
    Why not trying a Defensive set with Stockpile? It increases both Defenses by one stage, very useful.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Bold, Volt Absorb
    - Stockpile
    - Scald
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam

As I've said above, Stockpile increases both Defenses by one stage, up to the max possible, three. With a couple of boosts, Lanturn can do quite well.
    Scald and Thunderbolt are for dual STAB, and they have a chance to Paralyze or Burn the enemy. Ice Beam adds coverage and forms BoltBeam combo.
    I was thinking about that, but the maximum number of times you could use that was 3. Then again, that's x2.5 defenses. Alright, Ill add it.

Wouldn't it take way too long to set up a stockpile defense though? 3 turns is a lot and all that needs to come in is one super effective hit can pretty much rock it's world.

Also, is the OU Substitute set even still viable in the metagame now?
    The Journey (Rated R)

A pokemon adventure that will take you on a journey through the lives of budding trainers.

3DS friend code: 2981-6128-1202

Local Vivillon: Polar Pattern. If you want one I shall send it.

its very good pokemon... love it

yes. Lanturn can have potential. if he gets the right combo of moves, maybe instead of using agility, use a pkmn in RU that can QDance + BP to it when neccessary.

I have found true bliss. It has been staring at me for eight years. Only recently have i welcomed it into my arms.
    September 5th, 2014

Yeah, Lanturn's a great pokemon to use in RU, he served my RU team very well. I've heard a lot of teams struggle to deal with it in OU.

It's worth mentioning it has access to Heal Bell, so it can operate as a cleric.

Ice Cold Fire

Lanturn is one of the best mons in NU right now. It takes down fire,water, and electric threats that are common. It also has volt switch to scout. Too bad it probably is going up in RU now

I've used it in RU, it's fine there too, it'll handle the change well

Ice Cold Fire

Lanturn is quite cool in RU. I use a cleric/stockpile set, and it does well tbh.

Then again, I've seen TheFlamingSpade use one in OU, and do ok with it.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

Lantern is a great mon to use in nu and can be used in ru. The monstrous hp can be able to take resisted moves very well and then can volt switch out. It has a much better use in nu where klingklang dominates and can also wall magneton if it doesnt have hp grass or ground. But most of the time, lanturn is out classed by Slowking if you want to use it as a bulky wall becuase of regenerator. Lanturn cannot reliably heal itself so it'll be only useful in a few switch ins with hazards.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaRegisteel View Post
    Then again, I've seen TheFlamingSpade use one in OU, and do ok with it.
    This is true when comboed with a pokemon with wish like blissey or vaporeon it can be a great wall even in OU Spade has used it effectily many times in todays metagame

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFlamingSpade#g/search

in case you want proof

Credits to Sworn for the Banner, buttons to astral shadow, Drac Buttons to EG