Adamant/Jolly Nature

Baton Passer
    Cosmic Power/Calm mind/Rock Polish
    Baton Pass
    Substitute
    Stone Edge
    EVS 252 HP 128 SPD 128 Def

You could also use Stealth Rock on a support set

the rng has been doing this for a while,and i really wanted to see breloom but oh well

this pokemon is 1 of the never used pokemon so dont think this is too usefyl.It can wall things,but its defenses r only average.

Abilities:

Levitate:very useful for solrock as it allows it to avoid its ground weakness and spikes

Light screen set
    Light screen
    Stone edge
    Wilo wisp
    steath rock
    nature:impish/careful
    ev 252hp/128def/128sdef
    yeah...not my best work,but it works

Counters:Scizor will ruin its life,however it must be careful with wilo wisps
    Last edited by maciscool; 12th October 2011 at 12:11 PM.
    needs a bol d tentacool withits dream world ability and untouched and with the egg move rapid spin

Default Physical Moveset

Here's a physical-based moveset for people who have a problem with Solrock's Sp Attack stats:

Item: Muscle Band/Choice Band
    Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    Earthquake
    Acrobatics
    Sandstorm/Wonder Room/Trick Room/Giga Impact

I'm not sure if Gyro Ball should be included, so I didn't put it in.

FYI, I'm not good at EVs. Eventhough there are several physical and special moves, Solrock's higher Attack is considerable.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    Solrock and Lunatone ARE the only pokemon capable of BPing Cosmic Power.
    Smeargle, Drifloon, and Drifblim beg to differ, though the latter two call it "BPing Stockpile" instead. Passing a both-defense buff works well, but only if the passer and recipient can survive long enough to use the buff. Often you'll need two uses of the buff, but critical hits are still likely and your HP might not hold out, especially with Super Fang, Spikes, Burns, Poison, Toxic Poison, Stealth Rock, and other passive damage.

Plus, 5th Gen introduced a Move that ignores Defense buffs anyway: Chip Away. Quite a few...and I'll note this next part...very usable Pokemon can learn Chip Away or a high Critical Hit ratio Move. Notable Chip Away users:
    -Kangaskhan
    -Ursaring
    -Slaking
    -Marowak
    -Snorlax

On top of that, Storm Throw and Frost Breath will ignore the buffs with auto-Criticals if you don't pass to a Shell Armor/Battle Armor Ability Pokemon (even then, Mold Breaker Ability and Gastro Acid were designed to negate Abilities, so Criticals can still be a threat).

OK, bar Smeargle.

Kangaskhan? lol
    Ursaring? Nobody uses it in OU
    Slaking? LOL
    Marowak? I don't know
    Snorlax? Only usable one of that list.

ok, Conk also learns Chip Away, but it also has a weak base power.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

OK, bar Smeargle.

Kangaskhan? lol
    Ursaring? Nobody uses it in OU
    Slaking? LOL
    Marowak? I don't know
    Snorlax? Only usable one of that list.

ok, Conk also learns Chip Away, but it also has a weak base power.
    Let me elaborate:
    -Kangaskhan due to Scrappy (can't just pawn Defense off to a Ghost Type that needs it)
    -Ursaring due to Guts and multi usage (better for partners to activate Guts than rely on Items in my experience)
    -Slaking due to incredible Attack, STAB, and multi usage (1-on-1 is not Slaking's niche)
    -Marowak due to Thick Club (you expect to wall EQ/Bonemerang with Levitate Ability/Flying Type and get a Chip Away to the face of Solrock's backup)
    -Snorlax is pretty much a given
    -Conkeldurr learns other, better Moves and relies more on priority with its low Speed anyway

Also, I don't follow tiers too well, but Solrock entering OU is, likewise, laughable. Barring somone using almost-nothing-but status Moves on every one of their Pokemon or the user BPing stats to Solrock, it stands incredibly little chance against Pokemon with better stats.

Another reason I don't like the Baton Pass+Cosmic Power combo: Set Damage Moves. Super Fang, Night Shade, and Seismic Toss, among others, will bypass defenses (and buffs to them). On paper, it works, but too many options can get around this.

Solrock relies rather heavily on its partners and backup to survive long enough to Baton Pass. The circumstances that allow it are rare and easily changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Let me elaborate:
    -Kangaskhan due to Scrappy (can't just pawn Defense off to a Ghost Type that needs it)
    -Ursaring due to Guts and multi usage (better for partners to activate Guts than rely on Items in my experience)
    -Slaking due to incredible Attack, STAB, and multi usage (1-on-1 is not Slaking's niche)
    -Marowak due to Thick Club (you expect to wall EQ/Bonemerang with Levitate Ability/Flying Type and get a Chip Away to the face of Solrock's backup)
    -Snorlax is pretty much a given
    -Conkeldurr learns other, better Moves and relies more on priority with its low Speed anyway

Also, I don't follow tiers too well, but Solrock entering OU is, likewise, laughable. Barring somone using almost-nothing-but status Moves on every one of their Pokemon or the user BPing stats to Solrock, it stands incredibly little chance against Pokemon with better stats.

Another reason I don't like the Baton Pass+Cosmic Power combo: Set Damage Moves. Super Fang, Night Shade, and Seismic Toss, among others, will bypass defenses (and buffs to them). On paper, it works, but too many options can get around this.

Solrock relies rather heavily on its partners and backup to survive long enough to Baton Pass. The circumstances that allow it are rare and easily changed.
    Still, BP that to a defensive pokemon with recovery or a setup sweeper, utter ownage.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Dual Screen

Brave Nature
    Light Clay
    252 Atk/252 HP 4 Sp.Def

Trick Room/Toxic/Sunny Day/Will-O-Wisp/Embargo/Stealth Rock
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Explosion

Solrock has a lot of variety with Dual Screen. Solrock can be used on a Trick Room team, a Sun team, and it can set up Stealth Rock as well as block item use with Embargo or inflect Burn or Badly Poison Pokemon with Toxic or Will-O-Wisp. Both of which can cripple Pokemon. It's not the best Pokemon which is where Explosion is useful. After setting up Dual Screen and whatever, you can inflict major damage. Explosion is also useful if you get Taunted. think of it as a more extreme version of Struggle.

Finally I'm back to potwc. Anyways, solrock is uhhhh, well, HE SUX. But anyway here we go.

Ima Wall!
    Solrock@Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate (no dip)
    Nature: Calm
    EV's: 252 defense 252 sp defense 4 HP
    Moveset:

-Cosmic Power
    -Pain split
    -Toxic
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Want a clan? Check out my amazing clan "Forbidden Empires" (click image below for link)

Rate my team!!
    Clan Chat!

Credits to me for the FE leader UB.

Still, BP that to a defensive pokemon with recovery or a setup sweeper, utter ownage.
    Agreed, but some setup sweepers need all the help they can get as well. Multiple Baton Passing may be required (i.e. BPing Cosmic Power to another Cosmic Power-Passer who BPs to an Agility-Passer). I know that Stat Buff Berries could work well on a Defense or Sp.Def Passer, so going for broke with a multi-defense passer could work...

You'll notice I go a bit schizo with my praises and nitpickings. It's normal due to how much I analyze - more options mean more surprises and Solrock has so many options. Although, roughly 1/3 of them are either not or lesser recommended...

Here's what I cam up with, I didn't put much effort in the EV layout.

Rock Polish Sweeper
    Solrock @ Rock Gem
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Rock Polish
    - Rock Slide / Stone Edge
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Acrobatics

My little variation. EVs in Attack for obvious reasons and Sp. Def to make it last a little longer. I didn't put any EVs in Speed because I think that 386 Speed after one Rock Polish is enough. The rest is pretty much self explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by StonE EdgE View Post
    Here's what I cam up with, I didn't put much effort in the EV layout.

Rock Polish Sweeper
    Solrock @ Rock Gem
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Rock Polish
    - Rock Slide / Stone Edge
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Acrobatics

My little variation. EVs in Attack for obvious reasons and Sp. Def to make it last a little longer. I didn't put any EVs in Speed because I think that 386 Speed after one Rock Polish is enough. The rest is pretty much self explanatory.
    Unless something has an extremely large base HP stat (for example, Blissey, Vaporeon, or Lanturn), always, always, always max HP before working on either of the defenses, since you're adding significantly more to the overall bulk by maxing HP first.

Also, drop the Rock Gem + Acrobatics thing entirely; it really doesn't work well, especially when you don't have STAB on Acrobatics, since you're hitting harder with Stone Edge or Zen Headbutt and walled by steels either way. Just use Baton Pass in the last slot...

Solrock is an interesting pokemon. It has unique typing, and overall mediocre stats. The whole "Sun and Moon" opposites is neat as well. However, its moveset screams "Special" and its stats shout back "physical." So it has few usable moves, and three physical STABs. Yay.

Trick Room
    - Trick Room
    - Gyro Ball
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Stone Edge
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs and Nature: Brave (+Atk, -Spd)
    252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Def / Speed IVs
    Basic TR and strike set. It is decently bulky, so it will set up at least one TR, and then it can try to destroy stuff with Gyro ball and its duel STABs. Nothing else to explain here.

There are more sets, but they have probably been said already.

Double and Triple Options
    Weak to Surf, has Rock Slide. Also Explosion is nice.

Partners
    If Gastrodon is still RU, then it is a great partner. Stantler with Sap Sipper could work, I guess...

Countering Solrock
    Gastrodon can take anything solrock can do and throw it right back even harder. Steelix can take hits like that all day and then just beat it up. So can Bastiodon. And Probopass. In fact, all steels wall it completely. Most grounds do as well.
    Solrock out. PEACE!

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflies View Post
    Solrock go Ba-Bam!
    Solrock @ Choice Band/another band that will help, basically something that will show Solrock means business it could even use a berry if you really wanted to, there's not too many options with Solrock to be brutally honest
    Levitate
    Adamant
    252 Attack 252 HP, 4 Speed
    -Rock Polish
    -Rock slide/stone edge
    -Earthquake
    -Explosion/Giga Impact

There isn't too much else to this set, rock polish is so you get a good head start and all that junk. Rock slide could be used in place of stone edge, but personally I think stone edge is alot better even with the slight accuracy disadvantage.
    As for EQ, it's a must.
    Giga Impact is something you can use, but then again with Solrock who isn't too much of a tank to say the least, it's probably a safer bet to go with explosion. I mean, if you are up against something you know can KO pretty easily, then just go BOOM and problem somewhat solved.
    running choice band and rock polish doesn't make sense
    fc w2: 4170 2391 4720

Quote Originally Posted by devyn1717 View Post
    running choice band and rock polish doesn't make sense
    Running Choice Band and Solrock doesn't make sense. Rock Polish is basically icing on the idiocy-cake.

You'll get more use out of tossing Rock Polish and CB out and going for Choice Scarf and all offensive Moves. At least Scarf will help you get past your godawful Speed (though not by much)...

Item Choices - *sigh* Where to start:
    -Choice Band is useless outside of Trick Room-supported sets.
    -Choice Specs - useless outside of Solrock's lunar clone.
    -Leftovers are good, but not so much for Solrock...
    -Iron Ball may help your Gyro Ball, but it also helps the enemy's EQ. EV Training Hold Items are better alternatives to Iron Ball (Solrock can't use Fling, either, so it's doubly useless).
    -Flying Gem can help Acrobatics...and not much else...
    -Stat boost Berries can help, especially with Baton Passers, unless you lose them to Knock Off, a random Incinerate, Pluck and Bug Bite users (common with Technician), or item-takers in-general.
    -Eject Button and Red Card can help, I guess, but are better suited to other Pokemon.
    -Light Clay really helps for screens.

Quote Originally Posted by epic_eevee View Post
    Unless something has an extremely large base HP stat (for example, Blissey, Vaporeon, or Lanturn), always, always, always max HP before working on either of the defenses, since you're adding significantly more to the overall bulk by maxing HP first.

Also, drop the Rock Gem + Acrobatics thing entirely; it really doesn't work well, especially when you don't have STAB on Acrobatics, since you're hitting harder with Stone Edge or Zen Headbutt and walled by steels either way. Just use Baton Pass in the last slot...
    Eviolite users too.

Anyway NEVER mention giga impact it is a useless move.
    trick room (in my opinion) isn't that good on solrock there are stronger and slower (and some are bulkier) pokemons in the same tier that can do it better for example emboar or even granbull.
    so yeah he is outclassed in the trick room set.
    exept his semi decent typing and access to cosmic power it isn't that good.

It have somewhat ok stats for RU or NU but that's all, look at the bright side, he will always be our endless supply of sun stones for sunkrems (or whimsicott , liligant and blossom).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Eviolite users too.
    Evolite is even more of a reason to max HP first, since now the HP is even lower in comparison to defensive stats.

As for Solrock...what does it really do? I guess it can Rock Polish alright. I haven't read through this thread entirely, but I'll guess this set has already been mentioned a few times.

Solrock@Life Orb
    Jolly
    Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Moves:
    -Rock Polish
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Baton Pass

Outruns Adamant Gyarados and Dragonite, which is nice (although you should never use this thing in OU). Reaches pretty nice speed after a Rock Polish and has good coverage with Stone Edge and Earthquake. Baton Pass the speed boosts when the going gets rough.

And now for a joke set. This guy really needs some Specs. I mean, just look at it! It's squinting, it needs glasses so badly!

Solrock@Choice Specs
    Timid
    Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Moves:
    -Psychic
    -Earth Power
    -Fire Blast
    -Grass Knot/HP Electric/HP Ice

Awesome power with Specs! Really! Psychic is STAB and stuff and Earth Power hits lots of stuff hard, like Aron and Skorupi! Fire Blast makes Sunkern wish it had never messed with this thing! Grass Knot eats up bulky Waters like Squirtle and, dare I say it, Feebas! HP Electric also hits Waters, as well as powerful Water/Flying types like Mantyke! HP Ice hits those dangerous Dragons (looking at you, Deino) and stuff like that!

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Evolite is even more of a reason to max HP first, since now the HP is even lower in comparison to defensive stats.

As for Solrock...what does it really do? I guess it can Rock Polish alright. I haven't read through this thread entirely, but I'll guess this set has already been mentioned a few times.

Solrock@Life Orb
    Jolly
    Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Moves:
    -Rock Polish
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Baton Pass

Outruns Adamant Gyarados and Dragonite, which is nice (although you should never use this thing in OU). Reaches pretty nice speed after a Rock Polish and has good coverage with Stone Edge and Earthquake. Baton Pass the speed boosts when the going gets rough.

And now for a joke set. This guy really needs some Specs. I mean, just look at it! It's squinting, it needs glasses so badly!

Solrock@Choice Specs
    Timid
    Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Moves:
    -Psychic
    -Earth Power
    -Fire Blast
    -Grass Knot/HP Electric/HP Ice

Awesome power with Specs! Really! Psychic is STAB and stuff and Earth Power hits lots of stuff hard, like Aron and Skorupi! Fire Blast makes Sunkern wish it had never messed with this thing! Grass Knot eats up bulky Waters like Squirtle and, dare I say it, Feebas! HP Electric also hits Waters, as well as powerful Water/Flying types like Mantyke! HP Ice hits those dangerous Dragons (looking at you, Deino) and stuff like that!
    The stonequake baton pass rock polish wasn't mentioned in the thread.

Well considering eviolite doubles defenses, you want them the highest possible but you still want to pass the 300 for not being 2HKO from chansey
    the specs set sure gonna sweep on the NU of the NU lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    The stonequake baton pass rock polish wasn't mentioned in the thread.
    Huh. How about that.

Well considering eviolite doubles defenses, you want them the highest possible but you still want to pass the 300 for not being 2HKO from chansey
    Maxing out HP still helps with a Pokemon's overall defenses better than maxing defenses first. It's just the way the math works. The only exception is Pokemon like Chansey and Blissey, who will probably be running 252 HP and 252 Def to patch up their weak physical defense, and Vaporeon, who will probably have a similar case.

As a side note, Evolite boosts defenses by 1.5 times, not 2.

the specs set sure gonna sweep on the NU of the NU lol.
    dUd3, d4 sP3cz s3t 1z d4 b3st s3t 3V3rz!!11!1!!!1!!

Default The Solrock that Role Plays all day long

It has been ages since I wrote in something for POTM.

Anyways, I want to give you a heads up that Solrock can learn role play. Perhaps you can have it roleplay storm drain or sap sipper?

Quote me for ideas.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlKirbyZombie View Post
    It has been ages since I wrote in something for POTM.

Anyways, I want to give you a heads up that Solrock can learn role play. Perhaps you can have it roleplay storm drain or sap sipper?

Quote me for ideas.
    Yeah, but...and Solrock...that...wow...I cannot find much fault in that. If you have a way past your other weaknesses in multi and can get a Rock Polish off, you could become a real wrecking ball.

Although, Role Play does make you weak to Ground when you lose Levitate...maybe a Role Play plus Baton Pass set for multi. Storm Drain could really help against Surf and Muddy Water, plus a Rock Polish (or two) will ensure you can BPass...hmmm......

Double/Triple Moveset: Rock Polish, Baton Pass, Role Play, Rock Slide/Zen Headbutt

Double/Triple Strategy: Rock Polish while your opponent (hopefully) ignores you from "lack of threat" factor. When you can Role Play "safely," switch from a Fire/Rock/Ground Type Partner (Gliscor, Aerodactyl, Lunatone, and Claydol work wonders to block EQ from their possible choices) to a Storm Drain Ability Partner and take a freebie Surf boost (or two if they fear Focus Sash or Sturdy Ability). Now you can BP Speed and Sp.Atk to a Pokemon who needs it...or could sweep with it...

Huh...Solrock's stats bar it from making significant dents on offense, nor preventing them on defense, but its Moves can shift the tides like *that* if you remain unpredictable...

Default Walr

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Plus, 5th Gen introduced a Move that ignores Defense buffs anyway: Chip Away. Quite a few...and I'll note this next part...very usable Pokemon can learn Chip Away or a high Critical Hit ratio Move. Notable Chip Away users:
    -Kangaskhan
    -Ursaring
    -Slaking
    -Marowak
    -Snorlax

On top of that, Storm Throw and Frost Breath will ignore the buffs with auto-Criticals if you don't pass to a Shell Armor/Battle Armor Ability Pokemon (even then, Mold Breaker Ability and Gastro Acid were designed to negate Abilities, so Criticals can still be a threat).
    Just wondering, how many people actually use Chip Away? It's too situational to work and Return does more consistent damage, unless you see a lot of defensive stat-boosters running around. Even then, you would be better off using Haze or Roar/Whirlwind.

Also, Storm Throw and Frost Breath is only used on defensive Pokemon. Pokemon you see able to learn Frost Breath will either be murdered by Solrock's Rock STAB attacks (Froslass, Articuno, Cryogonal), use Water attacks (Lapras, Walrein) or rather learn Ice Beam or another Ice type move instead (Beartic, Vanilluxe, Jynx, Glaceon). Solrock has no business staying in on the only Pokemon capable of learning Storm Throw unless it carries Zen Headbutt, and even so may not be able to last.

That being said, defensive boosts still can be used on Solrock, just that you have to worry about critical hits landing on your recepient, mostly off Night Slash, Stone Edge and Shadow Claw users, as other high-critical moves are not as common. Also beware of Roar/Whirlwind/Haze users.

Anyway, sets

Baton Passer:
    Impish/Careful
    252 EVs into HP, then Speed, rest into defenses
    Leftovers
    Will-O-Wisp
    Rock Polish
    Cosmic Power/Iron Defense/Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Earthquake
    Baton Pass

Will-O-Wisp some physical attacker which Solrock can survive against and then boost your stat upon the switch, then either accumulate boosts or BP out. Offensive move is just to ensure Solrock doesn't become Taunt-bait.

Utility:
    Impish
    252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Speed
    Light Clay/Mental Herb
    Will-O-Wisp/Stealth Rock/Magic Coat/Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Explosion

Same thing, WoW and then throw up rocks or a screen or two, then switch out or Explode if you want to weaken the foe for your switch-in. Light Clay for longer screens, but Mental Herb/Rock Slide/Stone Edge so that Taunt doesn't screw you up. Alternatively Magic Coat can bounce some arse trying to status Solrock, but I highly doubt anyone will not choose to whack it outright.

Attacker:

252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Life Orb/Mental Herb
    Rock Polish
    Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    Earthquake
    Baton Pass/Explosion/Acrobatics

Plays differently. Rock Polish first, then attack. Last moveslot is either if you want to go boom or pass the speed boosts to another guy. Mental Herb is there again for Taunt users, and goes well with Acrobatics if you manage to fool a Taunt user. However, don't expect too much damage output from Solrock, its Attack is average at best.
    Last edited by FrostFlash; 15th October 2011 at 10:51 PM.
    Chaining is addictive.
    Prized Shinies: , , , , ,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123