Thread: Magmortar Discussion Thread

Default Magmortar Discussion Thread

I have a confession to make. I never, until very recently, had any member of the Magmar family in my possession. Mostly due to getting different versions of the game, but the flaming duck has always been kind of elusive to me, which is a shame because I find it to be one of the best designed pokemon in the original game.

When Gen IV came out it followed the footsteps of Electabuzz and pretty much got the treatment it deserved a more balanced, super-powered attacker. While Electivire is more prized because of it's sweeping abilities and more favorable typing (and something I used a lot, mind you.) Magmortar is kind of left in the dust; it has an amazing special attack, but everything else is more average in comparison.

But let's get on with it. Let's look at the tale of the tape!

HP: 75
    Atk: 95
    Def: 67
    SpA: 125
    SpD: 95
    Spe: 83

Abilities: Flame Body (30% Burn Chance), Vital Spirit (Prevents Sleep)

On paper Magmortar is pretty good. The special attack is high in the rafters and Magmortar has access to a LOT of potent fire-type STAB moves in that category, as well as some good coverage moves like Thunderbolt and Focus Blast that take advantage of it's 125 base SpA. It's SpD and regular attack are also pretty impressive, giving Magmortar access to mixed-sweeping capabilities, just like Electivire. Also like Electivire, it's base HP and Def are the same stats, but it's speed that once again wins the day, a decent 83 vs a impressive 95 to it's electric-type counterpart.

It's not all bad though. EV boosts in Speed help the flaming duck to be more viable, and there are a plethora of options to use against opponents.

Duck L'Orange

Magmortar @Life Orb
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
    EV: 16 HP, 252 SpA, 240 Spe

Flamethrower
    Focus Blast
    Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power (Ice)

Standard attacking set that utilized the special attack only. The nature and EV's give Magmortar a speed that is in the high 290's, giving it a good shot at taking down slower, more bulky opponents. Thunderbolt is great for bulky waters, focus blast for dark types, and HP Ice for dragons. Of course, Flamethrower for STAB, such a potent STAB that has the power to OHKO Ferrothorn.

Duck Amuck

Magmortar@ Life Orb
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Nature: Naughty (+Atk, -SpD) or Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
    EV: 208 Atk, 232 SpA, 68 Spe

-Fire Blast
    -Thunderbolt
    -Cross Chop
    -Rock Slide/Earthquake/Hidden Power (Grass)

Basically a typical mixed attack set. Spreading the EV's out a bit and emphasizing the raw power of Magmortar to pretty much 2HKO most of the UU/RU/NU field. Fire Blast is such a powerful STAB with Life Orb and high SpA it can rip through opponents, thunderbolt again is standard for bulky waters, Cross Chop can take out special walls, like Chansey, Blissey and Cryogonal with relative ease, and the last attack can change depending on what type of coverage you wish to use. Personally, HP Grass is great for the ground types on the field.

Now there are other options for Magmortar, because the two sets above are the standard fare that you would see. Access to the elemental punches and Fire Blitz for a more offensive STAB are also viable, as well as flame charge which can boost speed quickly. You can also run substitute as a defense and back either focus punch or just spam other attacks in it's place. Mach punch is also viable because of priority, and there are also choice specs and choice scarf options as well. Finally, solarbeam is always worth mentioning for sun teams because it covers all of their weaknesses, but the lack of speed hampers its effectiveness.

All in all, the only problem Magmortar has is it's typing. Because of the mono-fire type, you have the epitome of a glass cannon here. It will hit hard, but it may only have one shot to do so. Revenge killers can easily destroy him, as do most priority moves and stealth rocks. So if used, be aware of it's massive strengths and glaring weaknesses.
    The Journey (Rated R)

A pokemon adventure that will take you on a journey through the lives of budding trainers.

3DS friend code: 2981-6128-1202

Local Vivillon: Polar Pattern. If you want one I shall send it.

Unfortunately, I think a Choice Scarf is going to be needed in order to make what's one of my favorite Fire-types a little more viable. That's not terrible though, as it can outspeed non Speed-boosting Base 95 Speed Pokemon with a Speed boosting Nature, although that might be a little uncommon. You could only throw 152 Speed EVs in, and that way with a Scarf you can outspeed Scarfed Politoed and nail it with a Thunderbolt, but that's only if you feel like throwing Magmortar in OU.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

Fire Blast / Thunderbolt / Cross Chop / HP Grass is pretty scary in RU. Its fast enough to outrun things and does immense damage with its STAB moves. Pretty much nothing can safely switch in.

Magmortar isn't terrible but I don't like it as much as Electivire. It has a decent move pool and it has surprisingly decent special bulk. Its physical defense and HP are terrible so it won't be out very long. I see myself using either a Specs or Scarf set for this guy.
    A Remnant of the Battling Academy:
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/200s1s4.gif[/IMG]

My Current Team:

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Fire Blast / Thunderbolt / Cross Chop / HP Grass is pretty scary in RU. Its fast enough to outrun things and does immense damage with its STAB moves. Pretty much nothing can safely switch in.
    Why are people so scared about Focus Blast's Accuracy? I mean, iirc, Cross Chop doesn't have perfect accuracy either, Focus Blast would do much more due to higher Sp.Atk, and there's no Blissey/Chansey to worry about in RU.

Ice Cold Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dewott View Post
    Why are people so scared about Focus Blast's Accuracy? I mean, iirc, Cross Chop doesn't have perfect accuracy either, Focus Blast would do much more due to higher Sp.Atk, and there's no Blissey/Chansey to worry about in RU.
    That's a good point I guess. Cross Chop sucks pretty hard as well.

Has anyone else noticed that Heatmor is pretty much an entirely inferior Magmortar?

R.I.P The Battling Academy, 11/6/11 - 04/03/12
    Memories Are The Only Things Which Are Truly Eternal

That's a good point I guess. Cross Chop sucks pretty hard as well.
    Cross Chop is one Magmortar best chances against Munchlax,so it is not that bad.

Flame Charge?
    Using UU/RU Pokemon in ways that doesn't actually take advantage of some REAL niche in OU is like letting a horse poop on your chest; then when people ask why you let it do that you defend yourself by saying "well now I have all this horse poop", ignoring everyone who tries to reason with you that this isn't really a good thing either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Best. Analogy. Ever.

Actually, I've been using Magmortar in OU. I have come up with this set...
    Magmortar @Air balloons
    Modest or Mild/252sp.a/252spe
    -Flame Charge
    -Fire Blast
    -Focus Blast
    -Thunderbolt

I've posted a similar Emboar set before, but it works better on Magmortar. Fire Blast does lots of damage, especially in the sun. Flame charge boost speed, and might be able to OHKO Genesect, Scizor, Venasaur, and others, especially in the sun. Focus Blast and thunderbolt give good coverage. I'm not familiar with lower tiers, so you can probably replace some of it's moves for better coverage there.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Magmortar @Air balloons
    Modest or Mild/252sp.a/252spe
    -Flame Charge
    -Fire Blast
    -Focus Blast
    -Thunderbolt

I've posted a similar Emboar set before, but it works better on Magmortar. Fire Blast does lots of damage, especially in the sun. Flame charge boost speed, and might be able to OHKO Genesect, Scizor, Venasaur, and others, especially in the sun. Focus Blast and thunderbolt give good coverage. I'm not familiar with lower tiers, so you can probably replace some of it's moves for better coverage there.
    i shall definately try this i love magmortar and have been looking for a way of using him in ou, he's probably really ouclassed by chandelure though

Quote Originally Posted by orangezilla View Post
    i shall definately try this i love magmortar and have been looking for a way of using him in ou, he's probably really ouclassed by chandelure though
    The only thing it has over Chandelure is a 70% to (maybe) OHKO Tyranitar after Stealth Rock damage.

Electivire got motor drive why couldnt magmortar get flash fire?

Quote Originally Posted by TropiOUs View Post
    Cross Chop is one Magmortar best chances against Munchlax,so it is not that bad.
    Munchlax seems pretty rare, and both moves probably 3HKO depending on its EVs.

The only thing it has over Chandelure is a 70% to (maybe) OHKO Tyranitar after Stealth Rock damage.
    Also, if you give Magmortar air balloons, they usually don't notice, but they will with Chandelure.

That's pretty much it.

Also, if you give Magmortar air balloons, they usually don't notice, but they will with Chandelure.

That's pretty much it.
    Only terribad players fail to notice balloon,and that is sad because there is a :
    X pokemon is floating on a balloon.

Only terribad players fail to notice balloon,and that is sad because there is a :
    X pokemon is floating on a balloon.
    On PO, it's often overlooked, not always, but often.

They only seem to check on Steel-type sweepers and Chandalure.

Lol, I just made a comment in BH's RMT about this guy before I saw this thread. XD

Magmortar is really nice in RU. Altaria is honestly the best answer to it, since it's pretty much the only thing that isn't 2HKOd by Fire Blast/Focus Blast/HP Grass/Thunderbolt while not running near maximum defensive investment. He also has pretty good speed for an RU Pokemon and can go mixed with Cross Chop, but I honestly can't think of much that Cross Chop is better against than Focus Blast without running a lot of Atk investment.

I would like to note again that Mach Punch is also viable as an option, which negates the speed issue and offers great coverage against walls.

Doesn't pack the power Cross Chop has, but it is more accurate and faster.
    The Journey (Rated R)

A pokemon adventure that will take you on a journey through the lives of budding trainers.

3DS friend code: 2981-6128-1202

Local Vivillon: Polar Pattern. If you want one I shall send it.

Magmortar @Air balloon
    Modest/252sp.a/252spe
    -Flame Charge
    -Fire Blast
    -Focus Blast
    -Thunderbolt
    That's a pretty good set. Flame Charge seems the only way of setting up Magmortar to sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by orangezilla View Post
    Electivire got motor drive why couldnt magmortar get flash fire?
    I know. Electrivire's ability works great, especially when drawing in electric attacks with a gyarados or something. The only hope Magmortar has of sweeping is the above flame charge, and that's not as reliable.

Ice Cold Fire

It isn't good in the higher tiers. However just like in 4th gen NU, in 5th gen RU it can be a powerful, offensive, centralizing force.

Isn't as good in 5th gen due to power creep in the lowest tier, but it did get Flame Charge.

I always like Magmortar for it's look with the cannon arms but never got a chance to use it I was hoping dream world would be a nice pat on the back... Oh well