Page 1309 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 309120912591299130513061307130813091310131113121313131913591409 ... LastLast
Results 32,701 to 32,725 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

I am so tired of the blatant sexism I see/deal with on a daily basis I don't even want to leave my house because it causes my blood pressure to rise.

¦|

Quote Originally Posted by zombieoverkill12 View Post
    I would assume they are. I bet all their locations are in small towns.
    I am from Houston and I can assure we have a crap load of radio shacks.

We have too many stores from the same company/franchise on every corner of every intersection.

For example we have four Starbucks'seses on the same street and don't get me started on game stop or McDonald's they are literally competing with themselves.Then we have 3 wal-marts that are liliterally like 10 minutes away from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    What happened?
    I was hearing about a hit and run (some big SUV hit 3 different cars, totaled one and bailed the scene) and the first response is "Must be female or an illegal immigrant"

I am so sick of hearing that esp since I am a female and drive an SUV. I am so tired of being looked down on because I don't have a frank n beans.

That was an example of ignorance in it's purest form :l

Frank and beans? Never heard that used as a reference.

Cred to Astral Shadow for banner
    ASB TL 1, 12 TP
    Play MLG Smash Bros? Contact me @Tythaeus to schedule a match. :]

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I was hearing about a hit and run (some big SUV hit 3 different cars, totaled one and bailed the scene) and the first response is "Must be female or an illegal immigrant"

I am so sick of hearing that esp since I am a female and drive an SUV. I am so tired of being looked down on because I don't have a frank n beans.
    People are ignorant morons. I accepted that long ago, and the fact that you aren't allowed to go around punching them in the face for it. Didn't help much, but makes things a little easier.

Also, what is your feeling on people who have prejudice against people who drive big, gas-gussling, polluting SUVs?

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

sometimes people say things just to say things

if you get a reaction out of it, thats not their problem anymore

Gotta admit Frank and beans gave me a good laugh.

Anyway don't let others get to you, you will always have ignorant people in the world, if you let them get you down then they win.
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    Gotta admit Frank and beans gave me a good laugh.

Anyway don't let others get to you, you will always have ignorant people in the world, if you let them get you down then they win.
    I love that movie, oh Brett Favre I remember when you were young and not as creepy.

You have to ignore IGNORancE

See what i did dare =o

Cred to Astral Shadow for banner
    ASB TL 1, 12 TP
    Play MLG Smash Bros? Contact me @Tythaeus to schedule a match. :]

Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    Also, what is your feeling on people who have prejudice against people who drive big, gas-gussling, polluting SUVs?
    If people want to waste their time worrying about SUV/truck drivers polluting the world they should get a better hobby. Don't get me wrong, I think pollution is something we should all try to minimize but I also think there should be priorities in what needs to be dealt with and there are more important things to worry about over someone driving an SUV.

That being said, no one has said anything to my face about driving an SUV. If they want to judge me that's cool, but they should also know that I hardly ever drive and in the 2 years I've owned the vehicle I have only put 6,000 miles on it. I should be the least of their worries lol.

Anything ty guys for being nice about the sexism thing. I was expecting someone to just quote me an go "*****, make me a sandwich" because that is honestly what I'm used to on the internet. This is why I don't ever participate in any sort of debate, esp sexism. Also why I rarely bring it up at all.

I wish there was something I could do about it on your end, Kirby. Speaking of, I was at my uncle's house the other day, overhearing a late night phone conversation my little 13 year-old cousin was having with some girl he must have found online or something (I don't know how many ways kids have of chatting/IMing/whatever these days). I heard him tell the girl, apparently in jocular fashion, that he was gonna rape her.

I grabbed his phone, and before turning it off I said into the receiver that the girl did not need to listen to that. Then I laid into the punk about how he'd better watch how he talks to people, wait'll I tell his dad what he was doing with his technology, where'd he get the stupid idea that rape was either funny or acceptable, don't let me catch him saying anything like that ever again or such and such. I don't know what kind of lasting effect I might have had, but I chewed him out fierce. I'd never had someone I was close (eh...) to speak like that before; it was a huge shock and disappointment. =/

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by LDSman View Post
    They carry stuff that a lot of computer parts stores don't carry. Usually it's for the people that like building their own stuff from the ground up.
    I tried going to Radioshack a month or two ago for looking for electonics parts for my guitar, and they didn't have anything.

Also the idea of Profesco chewing someone out sounds kind of scary. He usually seems so nice. But it's not a good idea to just let that behavior fly without some lecturing.
    Last edited by Zazie; 27th October 2013 at 1:59 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post

woot21 out dawgs
    I don't think it's anyone else's business what I drive? Like I'm all for saving the environment and I really do think we need to invest more in renewable resources, but I still drive a Jeep (and trust me, if I could get something with better gas mileage, I would). I actually considered getting a little gas-friendly car last time I bought one, but honestly? With how bad the roads are out here, it would have just been torn up in about two years anyway. Something that wasn't going to bottom out on every pothole or get stuck in the snow was a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    I wish there was something I could do about it on your end, Kirby. Speaking of, I was at my uncle's house the other day, overhearing a late night phone conversation my little 13 year-old cousin was having with some girl he must have found online or something (I don't know how many ways kids have of chatting/IMing/whatever these days). I heard him tell the girl, apparently in jocular fashion, that he was gonna rape her.

I grabbed his phone, and before turning it off I said into the receiver that the girl did not need to listen to that. Then I laid into the punk about how he'd better watch how he talks to people, wait'll I tell his dad what he was doing with his technology, where'd he get the stupid idea that rape was either funny or acceptable, don't let me catch him saying anything like that ever again or such and such. I don't know what kind of lasting effect I might have had, but I chewed him out fierce. I'd never had someone I was close (eh...) to speak like that before; it was a huge shock and disappointment. =/
    I would pop my son (if I had one) square in the jaw if I ever heard him say something like that. I once hung up on my brother for saying rape jokes aren't a big deal/are funny/I have no sense of humor/etc. after I told him it's disgusting to joke about it and I didn't want to hear it. He laughed at me so I didn't talk to him for like two months. I don't have any tolerance for that kind of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post

Rape Culture, you see it everywhere in today's media some instances are more subtle than others and some are just in your face. Robin Thicke is the best example of this and yet people think this is okay. This happens in rap music and music videos, heck even video games. I don't want to seem like I am defending him because I'm not but you also have to realize thay he is 13, kids are ridiculously immature at that age and puberty just makes it worse. I suggest you have a talk with him on a personal level. Chances are he will either take your advice or leave it. But one thing is for certain that media is to blame. Damn Miley Cyrus!

Sorry about the spelling/gammar mistakes, which I'm sure there are plenty of. I'm on my phone and it sucks.
    Last edited by Zorocario; 27th October 2013 at 2:36 AM.

oh my god if my child ever did something like that I would go bananas. I know my mom would have if I ever said something like that.

Reminds me of when my significant other thought using the c word would be funny. Got him to stop using it, but it was just a weird conversation and I didn't realize people used it... so flippantly. idk I just hate that word with a passion I think I've used it once (which was a really weird situation. I don't regret the feeling behind me hating her but I do regret using the word) but some people just use it all the time and I'm like uh?????????

Star-Lord

Wait, why is using the C word so much worse than any other swear word? Frankly, I'm a bit confused.

Maybe it's just cultural differences, but in countries like England, it's said just as often as the b word, f word, or whatever letter of the alphabet you'll have word, and nothing's so terribly amiss there. Besides maybe the humor.

I suppose it is a bit of a cultural thing (because in Australia they use it a lot supposedly) but to me it's just the worst word because it devalues a woman simply to her genitalia. Like she's nothing better than the fact that she has a vagina, and I find that absolutely disgusting.

Star-Lord

I suppose that view point is logically sound enough, but don't forget that everyone in the whole world calls men "dicks", like their gender is the direct cause of whatever behavior caused them to have that hurled at them.

Personally, I don't think of any term referring to genitalia as detrimental to any one gender as it's used to often, it's just become another mindless insult people scream when they're angry. There are certain causes where people definitely use them very purposefully in order to do insulting like you specified, but I don't hear about it like the majority of it's usage.

I think society has numbed it's meaning quite a bit, but hey, good job on finding a guy who respects you enough to stop saying a word you don't like. My father's certainly not like that towards my mother. Worst sexism I've ever seen anywhere from that "man".

Quote Originally Posted by jovialPhilosopher View Post
    I suppose that view point is logically sound enough, but don't forget that everyone in the whole world calls men "dicks", like their gender is the direct cause of whatever behavior caused them to have that hurled at them.
    The issue I find with that sort of argument is that historically, women were simply seen as people who were just there to pop out children for men. Hell, there's still societies today that treat women as a sort of subservient being in their overall structure. So when we call men 'dicks'... I don't think it holds anywhere near as much power, only because women have had to live through the world simply being valued for having a vagina.

Personally, I don't think of any term referring to genitalia as detrimental to any one gender as it's used to often, it's just become another mindless insult people scream when they're angry. There are certain causes where people definitely use them very purposefully in order to do insulting like you specified, but I don't hear about it like the majority of it's usage.
    Which I think as a personal opinion is fine. Just as long as you're not tossing words at others or telling them to "get over it". It's just a respect thing.

I think society has numbed it's meaning quite a bit, but hey, good job on finding a guy who respects you enough to stop saying a word you don't like. My father's certainly not like that towards my mother. Worst sexism I've ever seen anywhere from that "man".
    Simply awful. Him and I had parted ways a while ago but I really do think that communication like that in a relationship is important. But I don't want to go ahead and insult your dad or anything, I don't know the whole story.

Star-Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Moogles View Post
    The issue I find with that sort of argument is that historically, women were simply seen as people who were just there to pop out children for men. Hell, there's still societies today that treat women as a sort of subservient being in their overall structure. So when we call men 'dicks'... I don't think it holds anywhere near as much power, only because women have had to live through the world simply being valued for having a vagina.
    Well, of course. It's a fact women are still being treated like their subhuman in some countries, but it's also in those particular countries where the real sexist intent is used with those kind of words.
    Obviously, I'm making generalizations and I already said in my last post there are definitely still people who think like that on home soil, but y'know. I don't approve of any kind of sexism, directed towards men -or- women (because I think to completely eliminate the problem, it shouldn't be a battle of which threat's the biggest), but I'm just saying, like "gay", it just seems to be...Just another insult that no one really thinks about the meaning of too hard. I just couldn't envision myself getting too offended is all.

Also, I definitely am the last person to resort to calling names, so no worries on the respect thing. I've stopped saying "dude" around someone before.

But I don't want to go ahead and insult your dad or anything, I don't know the whole story.
    I wouldn't care. He's not capable of any kind of empathy, apparently. That's a rabbit hole I ain't going down on a forum I just joined, though.

This'll lead to more punishment I'm sure, but I've got to share. I literally got 9 reputation points from a mod who attached the comment "sexism against men isn't a thing" on their comment and told me I was posting junk when I'm being fully respectful.
    I hope this isn't how the whole forum is.
    Last edited by jovialPhilosopher; 27th October 2013 at 4:13 AM.

wow I come back after a couple months and this thread got serious.

no, it's just that this place becomes serious at random times
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)
    i spent 10 hours REing for a shiny metagross and now its an event

Quote Originally Posted by jovialPhilosopher View Post
    This'll lead to more punishment I'm sure, but I've got to share. I literally got 9 reputation points from a mod who attached the comment "sexism against men isn't a thing" on their comment and told me I was posting junk when I'm being fully respectful.
    I hope this isn't how the whole forum is.
    You start with 10 reputation points, which means that you only got one taken away. Although I'd have to ask how it's a "mod" who gave it to you or not considering that all reputation comments are anonymous :P. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. It's just rep.

Also I like talking about serious things up @ random people above.

Star-Lord

Eh I just learned to not let Reputation Points get under your skin, its hard but meh
    "No. I don't agree with him on a LOT of issues. Unlike most Republicans, who are blindly loyal to their party" ~ Maedar on Barack Obama

Page 1309 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 309120912591299130513061307130813091310131113121313131913591409 ... LastLast