Page 665 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 565615655661662663664665666667668669675715765 ... LastLast
Results 16,601 to 16,625 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

yeah, i actually thought about something similar to what you're talking about after posting but didn't bother editing. i think the main reason a lot of people find the Megaman games hard (and early Castlevania, which you conveniently mentioned) is because they force you to observe more than just blaze through like a lot of other games (i'm mostly speaking of real time and just general non rpg games here for the record). the games require some persistence and for you to slow down a lot more, but i still don't think many parts of them are really that flat out difficult- but i'd rather not get into an argument about the differences between a series just being frustrating and one being truly hard.

i am of course biased because i play basically nothing but nes/snes era platformers these days though, so whatever.

also i just noticed that in my last post that i said both MM1 AND MM6 were the easiest due to bit of a lapse in thought- i'd put 6 easier than the first, for the record.

A very interesting article.

Sometimes I believe that large message boards tend to draw in psychopaths, and that isn't necessarily a far fetched idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

I find the difference between NES Castlevania and NES Megaman is that Castlevania is hard because of shitty controls, while Megaman is hard due to a heavy reliance timing and instant death stuff.

I am not a big fan of either.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus View Post

Sometimes I believe that large message boards tend to draw in psychopaths, and that isn't necessarily a far fetched idea.
    Well, yes, it does.

Also, the Internet is sexist. That's not a hyperbole. It's the most glaring problem of its collective culture, and it's really unfortunate.
    Last edited by Cipher; 13th June 2012 at 5:26 AM.

I can understand what they are saying pretty well. You can quickly tune misogyny out to the point where you don't really see how bad it is. Which ultimately just leads to more bad attitudes about women. (the sames applies to minorities and other less privileged groups as well)

I personally have been moving in the opposite way however. I have been becoming increasingly aware of this kind of stuff.

Watch me tumble stuff:

I read blogs that talk about sensitive matters like politics and social critiques sometimes, and the women who dare to voice opinions, controversial or relatively mundane, regularly get an onslaught of graphic rape threats. It's kind of sad how I have internalized this to the point where I rarely if ever post comments on major sites or blogs.

I don't think a lot of people notice the effects words can have. Constant barrages of misogyny, racism, homophobia, etc. not only desensitize people to bigotry, but they also effect the views of the groups being targeted. If someone is constantly being verbally abused for being a woman or being jewish or being trans, etc. there is a reasonable chance that they might start to internalize the hate and start to believe it themselves.

This ultimately leads to situations where assholes aren't being called out on their **** because everyone else is either desensitized to it or has started to believe it themselves.

Damn, I am getting a little too serious for misc. But this is one of those things that is important enough to say.
    Last edited by Zazie; 13th June 2012 at 5:50 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    I don't think a lot of people notice the effects words can have. Constant barrages of misogyny, racism, homophobia, etc. not only desensitize people to bigotry, but they also effect the views of the groups being targeted. If someone is constantly being verbally abused for being a woman or being jewish or being trans, etc. there is a reasonable chance that they might start to internalize the hate and start to believe it themselves.

This ultimately leads to situations where assholes aren't being called out on their **** because everyone else is either desensitized to it or has started to believe it themselves.

Damn, I am getting a little too serious for misc. But this is one of those things that is important enough to say.
    I appreciate it actually. People so often just brush it aside as "the culture" it gets very discouraging.

I just don't get why people act like kitchen jokes are so awesome. Like they're probably the most played out and unoriginal jokes you can make these days, and yet whenever someone makes a kitchen joke groups act like it's the funniest shit ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post

*slow clap*
    I come into the GCT for my daily dose of disappointment to find myself pleasantly surprised by an intelligent post.

Okay, now that the praise is out of the way, I've seen enough crap on the internet to know exactly what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    I just don't get why people act like kitchen jokes are so awesome. Like they're probably the most played out and unoriginal jokes you can make these days, and yet whenever someone makes a kitchen joke groups act like it's the funniest shit ever.
    Because these are the same people who think "BLACK PEOPLE EAT WATERMELONS" is groundbreaking humor. They're just not particularly clever.

In other news, I am currently trying to plan a Cold War class, but there is SO MUCH material it's hard to figure out how to organize it. My poor kids are gonna have to learn so many names.

It really gets on my nerves whenever I think about "the culture" and how apparently some **** is still kosher on the internet. You'd be less likely to get away scot free if you were in a public place and shouted "Shut up, *****, or I'll rape you!" to someone just because they're a woman and they had the balls to disagree with you (on something you were probably wrong about). So, in short, **** "the culture" while this is still acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Also, the Internet is sexist. That's not a hyperbole. It's the most glaring problem of its collective culture, and it's really unfortunate.
    I think you're being pretty polite.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

So I'm just going to say hello because I have no idea what's happening.
    [img]http://i43.*******.com/21exeg2.png[/img]

Credit to zhanton for Banner
    FC (Blaze): 4082-6986-3403

Quote Originally Posted by treespyro View Post
    So I'm just going to say hello because I have no idea what's happening.
    Sometimes I find going back a page and reading a bit hard, too.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

I think you're being pretty polite.
    How so? It sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreis View Post
    Sometimes I find going back a page and reading a bit hard, too.
    It has always been like that. That and I have no idea or I don't want to open cans or worms.
    [img]http://i43.*******.com/21exeg2.png[/img]

Credit to zhanton for Banner
    FC (Blaze): 4082-6986-3403

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    George Bush joke of the internet.

It's the joke stupid people laugh at.

Well, mysogyny is bad, but I also dislike feminists raging without any good reason. Basically, the woman in the "Tropes vs. Women in Video Games" Kickstarter video talks about five reoccuring roles a girl can have: the one that must be saved, the protagonist, the sidekick, the antagonist and the unimportant NPC in the background. What else role is there for a character to fill? Sure, a couple of the shown games have scarcely clothed women (Rayman Origins, Bayonetta, couple of other games I don't really know) but there are also lots upon lots of regularly clothed female gaming characters. Also "and the most common trope in video games: women as background decoration". How is this a big deal? There are also lots and lots of male unimportant NPCs, but nobody's complaining about them. "Oh look, there's someone in the game that just isn't important. OH LOOK IT'S A GIRL! MYSOGYNY! MYSOGYNY!". Please.

Of course, the "tits or gtfo" behaviour of the internet is bad, but irrational feminists raging at everything male are too.
    The artist previously known as Dark_Petal.

My face when this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    What a travesty

That was one of my favorite guys

Anita Sarkeesian is a pseud.

I would literally hate to play or read anything she produced.

She also fails to see and understand why movies/video games etc. are why they are.

It's a shame, because she hits some generally decent points sometimes.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 13th June 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    How so? It sucks.
    I'm saying that "sexist" is putting it lightly. I find it hard to believe there are actually women on the internet sometimes because of how people act.

Quote Originally Posted by Murton View Post
    Well, mysogyny is bad, but I also dislike feminists raging without any good reason. Basically, the woman in the "Tropes vs. Women in Video Games" Kickstarter video talks about five reoccuring roles a girl can have: the one that must be saved, the protagonist, the sidekick, the antagonist and the unimportant NPC in the background. What else role is there for a character to fill? Sure, a couple of the shown games have scarcely clothed women (Rayman Origins, Bayonetta, couple of other games I don't really know) but there are also lots upon lots of regularly clothed female gaming characters. Also "and the most common trope in video games: women as background decoration". How is this a big deal? There are also lots and lots of male unimportant NPCs, but nobody's complaining about them. "Oh look, there's someone in the game that just isn't important. OH LOOK IT'S A GIRL! MYSOGYNY! MYSOGYNY!". Please.

Of course, the "tits or gtfo" behaviour of the internet is bad, but irrational feminists raging at everything male are too.
    I think this is also a good point. Some people get so wrapped up in their ideals -- even when they're good ideals, that ends up with them being poorly expressed. Also re: the scantily-clad girls thing -- would it make a difference if it was a girl who designed them? Would a girl character who fights in a negligee and miniskirt, despite being designed by a woman, fall under this? Would the designer be considered a traitor to the entire sex/gender/what-have-you for apparently taking orders from the manocentric maleocracy?

There are huge problems with gaming and gaming culture regarding equality, sex, etc. -- but these ones aren't the big ones. It's kind of like ignoring the three serial killers to bust one guy who's smoking pot.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I've decided to make my comic series in a MSPA format, with each image followed by narration. I will also include dialogue as necessary, similar to Homestuck's Pesterlogs. However, there will be no fan-suggested commands for several reasons:

- I already have a fairly good idea of where I want the story to go
    - The story I have in mind isn't well-suited to fan commands
    - I don't want it to be in a video game format like other MSPAs
    - Chances are, I won't have fans to make suggestions

^ Click this for good times ^

apparently some **** is still kosher on the internet

You can't eat the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzalesTheySay View Post
    You can't eat the internet.
    is this post a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    is this post a joke
    I think maybe it was supposed to be?

You can see how that turned out, though

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    I think maybe it was supposed to be?
    oh

well it was kind of a shitty joke

Thanks for the clarification though

Page 665 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 565615655661662663664665666667668669675715765 ... LastLast