Page 581 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 481531571577578579580581582583584585591631681 ... LastLast
Results 14,501 to 14,525 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Murton - Very Low - RCHP, Slipknot, Rammstein, Muse, Korn

Fenix - Medium - Crystal Castles, At the Drive-In, John Frusciante, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Alien Ant Farm.

GrizzlyB - Low - John Frusciante, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Slipknot, Linkin Park and Nine Inch Nails.

Cenobitic - Very High - Karnivool, Rammstein, Cynic, Oomph! and Disturbed

I should listen to Karnivool since i like the lead singer's other band
    What is your last.fm name? This is mine http://www.last.fm/user/TylerSymes

Yeah we have a very low music compatability.

All the stuff you listen to is stuff I don't mind but don't actually have on my itunes. Apart from smashing pumpkins. I need to download...

It's http://www.last.fm/user/Das_Zwitter

Quote Originally Posted by FlutterDash View Post
    Your musical compatibility with Dark_Petal is VERY HIGH
    Music you have in common includes Gorillaz, The Offspring, The White Stripes, Weezer and Maroon 5.
    For me it says our musical compatibility is "just" high, and it does name those artists, even in that order. Strange.
    The artist previously known as Dark_Petal.

My face when this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    What a travesty

That was one of my favorite guys

Quote Originally Posted by Zwitter™ View Post
    Yeah we have a very low music compatability.

All the stuff you listen to is stuff I don't mind but don't actually have on my itunes. Apart from smashing pumpkins. I need to download...
    It would get higher soon probably since that is what happened to some people

Damn, why am I always sleeping when we talk about (good) music?

In short, I'll sum up last night's basic talking points.

Best 70's band is Steely Dan.

Best Beatles album is Revolver.

Best musician of all time is Prince.

I have hardly listened to Prince and Stelly Dan and i have been listening to some of Revolver

Your musical compatibility with Grizzly_B is LOW
    Music you have in common includes Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Yes and The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Your musical compatibility with Das_Zwitter is HIGH
    Music you have in common includes Cynic, Eluveitie, Oomph!, Nevermore and Gojira.

Your musical compatibility with TylerSymes is VERY LOW
    Music you have in common includes Tenacious D, R.E.M., Soundgarden, Pink Floyd and Muse.

Your musical compatibility with Breaking-Wheel is SUPER
    Music you have in common includes Jethro Tull, Voivod, Opeth, Orange Goblin and King Crimson.

Your musical compatibility with Fenix_7 is SUPER
    Music you have in common includes Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta, Anathema, *shels and God Is An Astronaut.

all over the place aww yeah. also music discussion itt needs to happen more.
    Last edited by palingensia; 18th May 2012 at 1:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    What's wrong with you? Listening to music from the 60's and 70's will improve your life in every conceivable way, so you should start immediately. Let's see, I'd recommend... oh, I dunno, Kansas, maybe? That, or The Beatles. Hm, hard call as to which is better.
    I'll try Kansas. I've already listened to a lot of The Beatles since they seem to have a monopoly on famous songs from back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I now see why I stopped posting in GPD. -.-
    oh thats funny i just posted that too

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

So apparently my music compatibility with nearly everyone is low or worse. The only three exceptions being medium with Palingensia, High with Grizzly B and very high with Cenobitic (which I am not surprised about at all) Most of my plays are 80s/90s indie, goth rock, prog and Visual Kei so it is unsurprising. I really only use Last. FM for the radio feature so it doesn't really describe my musical tastes all that well. I am debating purging my records, so I can reset it with better variety on my personal stations.
    Last edited by Zazie; 18th May 2012 at 4:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    So apparently my music compatibility with nearly everyone is low or worse. The only three exceptions being medium with Palingensia, High with Grizzly B and very high with Cenobitic (which I am not surprised about at all) Most of my plays are 80s/90s indie, goth rock, prog and Visual Kei so it is unsurprising. I really only use Last. FM for the radio feature so it doesn't really describe my musical tastes all that well. I am debating purging my records, so I can reset it with better variety on my personal stations.
    Probably not unreasonable.

I mean, most of what I listen to basically is prog. Or metal. So, of course it's going to find a lot of things we have in common, then. (And how many Siouxsie plays lately? ... A decent number, anyway.)
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Damn, why am I always sleeping when we talk about (good) music?

In short, I'll sum up last night's basic talking points.

Best 70's band is Steely Dan.

Best Beatles album is Revolver.

Best musician of all time is Prince.
    Best 70's band cannot possibly be Steely Dan. They're not a bad band, but to be best 70's band they have to beat out Zeppelin, Allman Brothers, Pink Floyd, the Clash, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Parliament Funkadelic (who deserve mention at least for their crazy live shows), Creedence, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Queen, and the outstanding solo careers of artists like Lennon, Harrison, Marvin Gaye, and Bob Marley.

Best Beatles album is Let it Be. I think Revolver is a good pick, but I have to give a slight edge to Rubber Soul.

I agree about Prince.

Skipping over 80s music because there is very little to like, what about 90s music? Clearly Nirvana is the beginning and end to this discussion, and they're one of the best bands of all time and indisputable best band of the decade. But there's other stuff to like--Pearl Jam, RHCP, Sonic Youth, Foo Fighters, the Pixies, the Roots, and Wilco for me, but there's other kinds of stuff out there, too. Rap, with Biggie and 2Pac and Nas and the Wu-Tang Clan, and then there's prog rock out there too. It was a multifaceted decade in music.
    Last edited by KickAsh; 19th May 2012 at 1:18 AM.

#1. "Beat out" how? Though, that is all subjective. (Also your list is glaringly missing King Crimson and Jethro Tull. Are you just joshing us?)

#2. I'd choose Revolver over Let It Be -- but I might have to go with the White Album here. ... or perhaps not; there are a decent number of duffers on that album.

#3. Hell yes. That reminds me, I haven't properly listened to the Batman soundtrack in at least twelve years!

re: 90s music: Nirvana is good. Big movers? Yes. Biggest since the Beatles broke up? ... maybe. Best? I doubt that very much. I'm giving "Best Album of the Nineties" to Marillion's Brave, though.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 18th May 2012 at 6:46 PM.

The usual links

It was a mostly subjective list and I did it in like 2 minutes but I guess I counted influence and popularity. Sorry I missed out on Jethro Tull, that's a pretty glaring omission.

I was kidding when I said Let It Be because it's sometimes not regarded as a real or proper album. My favorite is Rubber Soul but the White Album is a good pick if you take away Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9. It's hard to be perfect on an album with 4 sides.

I gave Brave a listen, and it's definitely good. I wasn't a huge fan, though. Probably would give it a 6.5. It didn't do anything to shake me from my belief that Nirvana is the best band of the 90's.
    Last edited by KickAsh; 18th May 2012 at 7:34 PM.

Far as Jethro Tull goes... I'm surprised they weren't more influential. Even their first album, that is so deeply grounded in the blues, is pretty unique. You'd think more bands would pick up on that sound and try testing it out! Then again, nobody wanted to play the flute when I was in band, pretty much, so.

I'd say something about how hard it is for me to know what the "best" of 90s music is outside dinosaur acts. But I just said that thing about Brave, didn't I?

I at least think Brave has more cohesion than any other Marillion album of that decade, and probably more than most in general. It'd be a lot different comparing it song-for-song as opposed to as a single unit.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Skipping over 80s music because there is very little to like, what about 90s music? Clearly Nirvana is the beginning and end to this discussion, and they're one of the best bands of all time and indisputable best band of the decade. But there's other stuff to like--Pearl Jam, RHCP, Sonic Youth, Foo Fighters, the Pixies, the Roots, and Wilco for me, but there's other kinds of stuff out there, too. Rap, with Biggie and 2Pac and Nas and the Wu-Tang Clan, and then there's prog rock out there too. It was a multifaceted decade in music.
    RHCP, Sonic Youth and the Pixies released quite a few albums in the 80s too. There a ton of good bands from the 80s if you look at bands that weren't in heavy radio rotation. I can give a pretty good list of decent 80s bands later. (since I am on a public computer at the moment)

Also Nirvana is pretty average. They have some good songs (most of which aren't their popular ones) but they are mostly pretty bland. You want to listen to good Grunge bands try Malfunkshun, Green River (both from the 80s), Skin Yard, Mother Love Bone or Mudhoney. Pearl Jam is also pretty good and most of the other more popular grunge bands are also preferable to Nirvana.
    Last edited by Zazie; 18th May 2012 at 8:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    Far as Jethro Tull goes... I'm surprised they weren't more influential. Even their first album, that is so deeply grounded in the blues, is pretty unique. You'd think more bands would pick up on that sound and try testing it out! Then again, nobody wanted to play the flute when I was in band, pretty much, so.

I'd say something about how hard it is for me to know what the "best" of 90s music is outside dinosaur acts. But I just said that thing about Brave, didn't I?

I at least think Brave has more cohesion than any other Marillion album of that decade, and probably more than most in general. It'd be a lot different comparing it song-for-song as opposed to as a single unit.
    It's a case of the Dire Straits Syndrome: bands that deserve more credit for what they did. Jethro Tull is a good example. (Fun fact: Tommy Iommi of Black Sabbath and Phil Collins of Genesis both played for Jethro Tull? Iommi played briefly in '68 and his only recording with the band is on The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, Collins played one gig in '82.)
    I'm pretty sure the Rolling Stones are still touring in some way or another. Talk about dinosaur act.
    Here's a question I'll pose to you after having read the brief summary of Marillion on Wikipedia: do you prefer the Fish or Steve Hogarth era?

RHCP, Sonic Youth and the Pixies released quite a few albums in the 80s too. There a ton of good bands from the 80s if you actually looked at bands that weren't in heavy radio rotation. I can give a pretty good list of decent 80s bands later. (since I am on a public computer at the moment)
    Well, duh. Just because they released stuff in the 80s doesn't mean they weren't 90s bands. They have releases from the 90s. And I generally prefer the bands' 90s material to their 80s material. And if we're nitpicking, RHCP and Sonic Youth didn't really break through till the 90s, making the 90s their defining decade.
    Please do give me a list of decent 80s bands. Seriously. I've never really been an 80s music fan, and this is a good chance to expand my library.

Also Nirvana is pretty average. They have some good songs (most of which aren't their popular ones) but they are mostly pretty bland. You want to listen to good Grunge bands try Malfunkshun, Green River (both from the 80s), Skin Yard, Mother Love Bone or Mudhoney. Pearl Jam is also pretty good and most of the other more popular grunge bands are also preferable to Nirvana.
    It's a matter of taste, for sure, but I find Nirvana to be good. They're my favorite 90s band. Sorry.
    I've heard of Mudhoney, one or two Malfunkshun songs, and I'm actually sort of into Mother Love Bone. Pearl Jam is good, nothing to argue with there, although their last releases haven't been amazing or anything. Thanks for the recommendations, though.
    Last edited by KickAsh; 18th May 2012 at 8:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    ([...] Collins played one gig in '82.)
    Didn't know this.

Here's a question I'll pose to you after having read the brief summary of Marillion on Wikipedia: do you prefer the Fish or Stever Hogarth era?
    Overall? I'm pretty undecided. I generally think that Fish-era had better albums while h-era had better singles. Even as soon as Hogarth's first Marillion album, there was a marked change in the style of the music.

The usual links

I just got a new account for that. My last one was just full of obscure dub while i was trying to find some good stuff. Also i'd forgotten the password since I changed to windows 7 so i couldn't get into it.

I just got a new account for that. My last one was just full of obscure dub while i was trying to find some good stuff. Also i'd forgotten the password since I changed to windows 7 so i couldn't get into it.
    What is it, then?

not that I expect to have much compatibility with a lot of people here who aren't GrizzlyB, Glass Eye, Dion and his cadre of hombres or, somehow, Fenix.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    What is it, then?

not that I expect to have much compatibility with a lot of people here who aren't GrizzlyB, Glass Eye, Dion and his cadre of hombres or, somehow, Fenix.
    It's the one i've been linking. Das_Zwitter The other was left_behind_626 but i barely used it. Turns out i have a Super compatibility with myself though.

It's the one i've been linking. Das_Zwitter The other was left_behind_626 but i barely used it. Turns out i have a Super compatibility with myself though.
    Oh okay. Maybe I missed it somewhere.

I am really good at missing things.

The usual links

Don't worry I'll get it linked in my sig once i've designed it properly

Quote Originally Posted by Carooscious View Post
    sup brahs what have i missed
    sup

I got 250 on bench today mofos personal record

yeeeeeaaa
    oopsie

Quote Originally Posted by Carooscious View Post
    srs?
    i am extremely impressed if u did bro
    I actually did.

I'm being totally serious. You can tell by my grammar right now.
    oopsie

Page 581 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 481531571577578579580581582583584585591631681 ... LastLast