Page 810 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 710760800806807808809810811812813814820860910 ... LastLast
Results 20,226 to 20,250 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

  1. #20226
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The land of Tea and Crumpets
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Just made the most *****in' chicken ever. The colonel would be proud!

  2. #20227
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom & Ireland
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zwitter™ View Post
    Just made the most *****in' chicken ever. The colonel would be proud!
    That's a weird choice of adjective there.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

  3. #20228

    Default

    I cooked a Bubba burger. only the outside got burnt. X.x And the inside was pink.

    I still ate it.

    キバゴ

  4. #20229
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    into that good night
    Posts
    10,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    I wish I had the time to fully enjoy my classes this semester, but right now I'm just far too busy to really sit back and enjoy the content. Going through all the material in 8 weeks instead of the usual 16, plus working 12-hour shifts, is exhausting. But I will say I'm enjoying my psychiatric nursing clinicals right now. It's really laidback getting to sit in the day rooms and just talk to/observe patients. Pretty chill when no one's having an outburst of some sort.
    That sounds intriguing. What do you have to do for the psychiatric clinicals, exactly? Are you supposed to be learning psychosocial evaluation or something along those lines? I'll be practicing that skill in two venues for the rest of the year, myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    So far, all my classes this semester at least seem enjoyable. The one that might not be will probably be a psychology class -- Lifespan Development. However, that's only because it ranges 6:30 to 10.
    You'll still be able to enjoy it if you like the subject. Development covers most of the biggest (and imo most interesting) names in psychological theorizing history has to offer. That class is a treasure trove of valuable information. =0

    Quote Originally Posted by h8on-me View Post
    My school gave me intro to biomed and I have yet to start my junior year. I do not believe that I actually want intro to biomed, but I need the A....
    You had no choice in the matter? That's odd, but not unfortunate. If I hadn't already invested so much of my time in the psych/philosophy route, I'd have loved to pursue my educational and career goals along the biological/medical one. Maybe you can share with us here some of the things you end up learning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I agree. School is pretty fun once you get past the shitfest that is high school.
    Worst thing about high school for me was the absurd district regulations. The freedom and flexibility of higher education blows my high school experience right out of the water.

    Good kids, though, but highly stratified. In all of my classes, there were me and two black kids and the rest were white. In all of the other classes, the numbers were swapped. Living it every day at the time, it wasn't something you take much notice of, but looking back, it offers up all kinds of thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    masters school is even cooler
    I saw you've been hired as a sub already, too. What was your degree in, and what are you doing a Master's in, if you don't mind me asking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    It feels very strange not preparing for school. I'm definitely going to miss some aspects of college, but I'm mostly just relieved to be done with it.
    How do you feel about what's next? It's a completely new stage of life. =0

    Quote Originally Posted by Terra Branford View Post
    I start today. I just have to attend the first couple of weeks of classes before I decide what classes to go to every time and what classes to forget about entirely. Hopefully they're all enjoyable.
    Play hockey, not hookey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Krake View Post
    I started yesterday. One of the teachers I have is very strict, like as far as grammar and style go, although I'll probably need it if and when I go to grad school.
    What do you think you might like to go to grad school for?


    I always catch back to school fever.

    Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

  5. #20230
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Creeping on your boyfriend
    Posts
    1,733

    Default

    I can't wait for school. Especially since I did manage to get into that AP course I was looking forward to.

    Mainly it's to get out of the hell hole which is my high school though. I'd transfer schools but I want to graduate with my French and English diplomas.

    Star-Lord

  6. #20231
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    drinking sex on the beach
    Posts
    10,259

    Default

    i cant waaaaaait for school to start because all of my friends will be back in this town and parties will be more fun. and i am super excited to be an orientation leader for a group of incoming freshies. i get to corrupt them.. bahahaha.

    be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

    Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

  7. #20232
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,363

    Default

    I should block you for using "bahaha."

    B|
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

    pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

  8. #20233
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    drinking sex on the beach
    Posts
    10,259

    Default

    go ahead. youll miss me if you do.

    be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

    Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

  9. #20234
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Evil Scumbags, Inc.
    Posts
    1,127

    Default

    @Profesco:

    We do a lot of psychosocial evaluations. We're on the unit once a week and we pick out a patient to evaluate. We have a whole sheet of information to get on them. The five axes of their psychiatric diagnosis, their meds (what they're used to treat, their interactions, side effects, and if they match up with the diagnosis), status upon admission, current status, and potential status. And of course nusing diagnoses and outcomes. The facility I'm at has four units: child, adolescent, adult, and older adult so I'll get shifted around to a different unit every week. It's nice to have the opportunity to see mental illness across the lifespan, as bad as that sounds.

    We also attend their group therapy sessions and just hang out and talk to them to get a better perspective on what they're experiencing. At some point I have to find time to attend a support/self-help group (AA, NA, something like that) and write a paper on it. It's a lot of stuff to do in 8 weeks, but it's interesting work.
    Last edited by Pesky Persian; 29th August 2012 at 6:22 AM.

  10. #20235
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I agree. School is pretty fun once you get past the shitfest that is high school.
    I don't know about that.

    My High school years was awesome since it challenged me about life how we came to be and were we are going, which is what led me to decide that I no longer believe in god and I am an atheist.

    Of course announcing that you are an atheist your religious "friends" was not the smartest thing to do, which then led them to break off our friendship and they wanted nothing to do with me thus making the last two years of high school very lonely and annoying.

    Actually thinking about it now, high school sucks big time.
    Last edited by blaze boy; 30th August 2012 at 1:05 AM.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  11. #20236
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71

    Default

    high school was okay for me. i got along with *almost* everyone, and really started to change in my senior year. i used to be the really shy type, but i opened up more and now i'm an exuberant, fun person. everyone around me really appreciates it. ^^;

    oh it's a love/hate romance. 'cause i could watch her dance, if i've got my boots.
    credit to Ruby Moon

  12. #20237
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    go ahead. youll miss me if you do.
    I only miss sexy people.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

    pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

  13. #20238
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Play hockey, not hookey.
    But I don't want to have my teeth knocked out. :O

    Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

  14. #20239
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    With my head in the clouds
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    high school was okay for me. i got along with *almost* everyone, and really started to change in my senior year. i used to be the really shy type, but i opened up more and now i'm an exuberant, fun person. everyone around me really appreciates it. ^^;
    I have grown enough spine to not be shy anymore, and just say what I feel. People really don't appreciate it.

    Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!


  15. #20240
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    I have grown enough spine to not be shy anymore, and just say what I feel. People really don't appreciate it.
    yeah, people don't appreciate WHAT i have to say but they like the fact that i at least try to talk more. some people like my sarcasm and bluntness but some also take offense easily.

    oh it's a love/hate romance. 'cause i could watch her dance, if i've got my boots.
    credit to Ruby Moon

  16. #20241
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Online or offline.
    Posts
    768

    Default

    I'm shy but just because most people don't understand what i say.

  17. #20242
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    With my head in the clouds
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    yeah, people don't appreciate WHAT i have to say but they like the fact that i at least try to talk more. some people like my sarcasm and bluntness but some also take offense easily.
    I think I'm in love.

    Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!


  18. #20243
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    I think I'm in love.
    It's... it's like my heart is getting hard.

  19. #20244
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    With my head in the clouds
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    It's... it's like my heart is getting hard.
    That can't be healthy.

    Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!


  20. #20245
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Your computer screen.
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    So I started sophomore year in high school on Monday...

    It's a shame when one teacher just seems to ruin what could be a wonderful class. Surprise test on summer reading that counts for 80% of our first quarter grade on one of the first few days? Not fun. And it makes me wonder, what exactly are we going to be doing if 80% of our grade is taken up in the first four days? That's a horrible way to teach, in my opinion.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

  21. #20246
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Platinum and Emerald are the top two Pokemon games they've yet made. Of course you really can't go wrong with any Pokemon game you buy, because even if you've bought the worst Pokemon game of all the Pokemon games, you're still going to be enjoying some Pokemon gaming.
    Actually, those are probably my favorite two of the main games, behind Crystal. Sinnoh is probably my favorite region, what with Snowpoint and all, but D/P were not stellar games. I also hold that same logic about playing the worst game in a series, except it applies to Tales games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I agree. School is pretty fun once you get past the shitfest that is high school.
    I liked high school way more than I do college. Apparently, I'm a small minority here. :V

    Quote Originally Posted by Krake View Post
    I started yesterday. One of the teachers I have is very strict, like as far as grammar and style go, although I'll probably need it if and when I go to grad school.
    Every teacher at every level irregardless of subject should be strict on writing guidelines, otherwise shit like "irregardless" will continue to propagate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terra Branford View Post
    Don't those only exist in low-budget movies made by Disney and Nickelodeon?
    ...
    My existence is a lie!

    Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Good kids, though, but highly stratified. In all of my classes, there were me and two black kids and the rest were white. In all of the other classes, the numbers were swapped. Living it every day at the time, it wasn't something you take much notice of, but looking back, it offers up all kinds of thoughts.
    My high school was like this, too, but more like two half-black people and three Mexicans. At least my freshman year, but then one of the half-black siblings graduated and more Mexicans showed up every year. Oh, and we got one Korean girl before I graduated, but she was completely American anyway, so eh. 'Course my school had 200-250 kids and is right between a rich community and the sticks, so I guess it goes without saying.

    Play hockey, not hookey.
    That's what you get for living too close to the border. >:V

    Also, as weird as it feels to condone skipping classes, if they're just boring electives/prerequisites that you'll never care about anyway and you can do well without going to class, there isn't really any harm to it. It also partially negates one of the popular complaints high school-dropouts have about being forced to go to classes they'll never use, otherwise they'd like school. But beyond that point, there's no reason to skip classes unless you get off on wasting large quantities of money or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    high school was okay for me. i got along with *almost* everyone, and really started to change in my senior year. i used to be the really shy type, but i opened up more and now i'm an exuberant, fun person. everyone around me really appreciates it. ^^;
    I was like that, too, except it happened my junior year. But I think it was more because my jackass brother graduated/was expelled and I didn't feel like I was walking on disciplinary eggshells anymore (seriously, I got called into the office by the SRO dozens of times just because I was in his vicinity when he harassed people). But yeah, there was, like, one person in the entire school I didn't get along with, but everybody else hated him and loved me so it was OK.

    Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    That can't be healthy.
    But it is a great line from an even better sitcom, so what the hey.
    Last edited by GrizzlyB; 30th August 2012 at 3:35 AM.

  22. #20247
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    I liked high school way more than I do college. Apparently, I'm a small minority here. :V
    I think they're about equal. Then again, I loathed my high school as an institution because I felt like it cared more about test scores -- standardized test scores, mind you -- than me as a student. All of the major pushes seemed to be "LOOK AT OUR TEST SCORES" -- again, standardized test scores -- and nothing about the qualities of the students. Granted, most students didn't have much quality at that facility...
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  23. #20248
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    With my head in the clouds
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I think they're about equal. Then again, I loathed my high school as an institution because I felt like it cared more about test scores -- standardized test scores, mind you -- than me as a student. All of the major pushes seemed to be "LOOK AT OUR TEST SCORES" -- again, standardized test scores -- and nothing about the qualities of the students. Granted, most students didn't have much quality at that facility...
    I think you will enjoy the following paragraph, because this is my literal opinion of middle/high school.

    "Hi kids. You just graduated from elementary. You now potentially know everything on a basic level to be able to survive in a real world. However unfortunately you are still minors, and daddy and mommy have to work. So now you have to go through another six years of school! Think of it as an eight hour a day daycare that your parents paid for with their tax money. Meanwhile let us all give the the facade that you are actually learning anything you will use when you leave here in six years! Wait you actually care about learning? You actually want to have a better career? Well then you need COLLEGE! It is a wonderful place that you must go to, or you'll be flipping burgers I assure you. Prepare to drop a hundred grand of your parents savings or be miserable for the next forever of your life on education that we should have given you while you were loafing around here for six years. Now you get to learn REAL English and REAL Science! What is that you say? You think you've learned about these things already? Nonsense, that was just information we pounded in to your head so you could excel on these standardized tests that directly correlate to our school funding and salaries. Getting a 99% on your standardized test is a great addition and will look awesome on your resume when you apply for a job. After all, this means you are a mindless drone like everyone else that passed through here. You are now ready to be successful! Congratulations!"

    Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!


  24. #20249
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I think they're about equal. Then again, I loathed my high school as an institution because I felt like it cared more about test scores -- standardized test scores, mind you -- than me as a student. All of the major pushes seemed to be "LOOK AT OUR TEST SCORES" -- again, standardized test scores -- and nothing about the qualities of the students. Granted, most students didn't have much quality at that facility...
    Yeah, that does suck. I really hate prep schools, they just ooze... I dunno, pretentiousness or snobbishness or something (I assume yours wasn't a public school?). And they're usually way too narrow-minded from what I've seen, generally on aforementioned test scores so that they make sure all rich kids who pay exuberant amounts of money get into more expensive colleges so that future rich parents will want to spend money putting their kids through the system, ad infinitum. And sports, they'll also let kids who are unusually good at sports in, too, I've found.

    It's weird, though, because most schools that do well on tests focus exclusively on them and are henceforth shitfactories, but my school district was one of the best in the state and, as far as I could tell, we were never focused on any sort of test material (of course, since we were also one of the smallest, we got fuck-all for funding. Hooray!). Everybody who went there with me loves it just the same. I think it was the teachers, because I had, like, one teacher throughout middle/high school who was mediocre and I didn't like, but the rest were amazing instructors and people. But then I got to college, and before I found ratemyprofessor.com, it pretty much went: if you're lucky, you'll have a good teacher; if you're not, you'll get a terrible one; and if you're really lucky, you'll get a great one. Also, you're usually unlucky. And it's just sad, to me, that one of, if not the most important, professions in the world is, by-and-large, filled with incompetent, immature vagrants, or whatever generic insults you want to apply.

  25. #20250
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Yeah, that does suck. I really hate prep schools, they just ooze... I dunno, pretentiousness or snobbishness or something (I assume yours wasn't a public school?).
    Public. High standards, but public. The name though, did make it sound like they wanted so badly not to be -- "Northside College Preparatory High School." Like they wanted to place so much emphasis on "preparing you for college" -- and there are a shitload of colleges out there (really, look it up -- there are, very literally, "a shitload" of colleges out in the world; they gave up on counting them and just started using cussing to describe it). Oddly, though, for something that should be so massively varied, it's very conformity-enforcing. My vaguely-friends basically had different hobbies but were pretty much identical inside if you sloughed off all of that useless "fun."

    And they're usually way too narrow-minded from what I've seen, generally on aforementioned test scores so that they make sure all rich kids who pay exuberant amounts of money get into more expensive colleges so that future rich parents will want to spend money putting their kids through the system, ad infinitum. And sports, they'll also let kids who are unusually good at sports in, too, I've found.
    While it never really was mentioned, I think that was pretty clear. I think it's telling that, as a class graduated, they released what colleges you were going to. I guess so they could see my name and go "Ha! Look at the fat, bearded hikikomori wannabe! He's going to a community college! He's going to fail life harder than Willie Nelson fails a drug test!"

    It's weird, though, because most schools that do well on tests focus exclusively on them and are henceforth shitfactories, but my school district was one of the best in the state and, as far as I could tell, we were never focused on any sort of test material (of course, since we were also one of the smallest, we got fuck-all for funding. Hooray!). Everybody who went there with me loves it just the same. I think it was the teachers, because I had, like, one teacher throughout middle/high school who was mediocre and I didn't like, but the rest were amazing instructors and people. But then I got to college, and before I found ratemyprofessor.com, it pretty much went: if you're lucky, you'll have a good teacher; if you're not, you'll get a terrible one; and if you're really lucky, you'll get a great one. Also, you're usually unlucky. And it's just sad, to me, that one of, if not the most important, professions in the world is, by-and-large, filled with incompetent, immature vagrants, or whatever generic insults you want to apply.
    This too. Also, it's similarly distressing how poorly paid some of them are. Like, some of my bad teachers (and I have had some really bad teachers -- the droning, useless sort; my Calc 2 teacher was so bad I stopped going to class) probably shouldn't have gotten that much money (aforementioned professor should probably have been charged by the school to teach there), but what incentive is there to get really good educators? Almost none. In general, the education system, quite frankly, sucks donkey balls in America.

    e: Speaking of appropriateness: Could a mod tell me how much trouble I'd get in if I changed the Professor Genki gif in my sig to this?
    Last edited by The Admiral; 30th August 2012 at 5:47 AM.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

Page 810 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 710760800806807808809810811812813814820860910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •