Page 920 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 8208709109169179189199209219229239249309701020 ... LastLast
Results 22,976 to 23,000 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    (Incidentally, I think the closest we've ever gotten to a gay character in a "children's" cartoon was Bugs Bunny, but he was a. probably just a troll, and b. in cartoons that were originally not targeted at children.)
    That would actually be Richie from Static Shock. I am pretty sure one of the creators flat out said he was gay on there internet.

I never understood why people have to obsess over media to make it the sole indicator of their identity. I can understand loving something to the extent you want to have more fun with it than the acutal show/book/game/whatever allows, but things are starting to get out of hand. Cult following doesn't mean you are supposed to actually form a cult around something.

Also just because we both like video games, comics, anime or whatever else doesn't mean we are all part of some big and happy family. I don't like my friends because they like the same shows I like, I like them because they are pleasant to be around.

All this geek/fandom /slash whatever the hell its called stuff is kind of silly and frustrating.
    Last edited by Zazie; 14th November 2012 at 4:37 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired of seeing Captain America/Iron Man smut.

I mean, like Pesky said, if someone I follow is posting stuff I don't want to see I just unfollow.
    There's still a lot of crap of my dash and in my tags though. Unfortunately, most of the theatre tag is just high school kids making stupid faces in their dressing room mirrors, whereas the stuff I post under the tag is more like production photos and insights to how things work. Every now and then I find some great photos or other knowledgeable people posting their processes, but it's buried under a whole lot of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    You forgot Doctor Who and Sherlock.

I love tumblr, but I have to sift through a lot of bs before I find the stuff I like. I guess that's accurate for most of the internet though.
    None of my friends typically post those, so I guess I'm kind of safe from that.
    Or I'm just lonely.
    Yeah it's probably that.

Yyyyyyeah, that too. I follow a few blogs because they're my friends' blogs, then a few one-subject blogs, e.g. one for the not-oft-discussed 70s genre-bending band Sparks... but even to get to anything interesting, I have to sift through about a million posts of "Bubbline" or whatever they call that pairing nowadays.
    I mostly just follow a few of my close Internet friends and the blogs of a few web series that I follow, but damn to get to those posts it's like.
    Damn.
    Just...sifting through all of it. I'll start reading a post and it's like "Oh, this is cool," then half-way through it turns into a Homestuck thing so I just keep scrolling.
    I can't get into it, man, I just want to see how this series is doing and look at some pictures of cats doing stuff can I just do that please thanks.

There's still a lot of crap of my dash and in my tags though. Unfortunately, most of the theatre tag is just high school kids making stupid faces in their dressing room mirrors, whereas the stuff I post under the tag is more like production photos and insights to how things work. Every now and then I find some great photos or other knowledgeable people posting their processes, but it's buried under a whole lot of junk.
    Oh God I know that pain.
    So much.

Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired of seeing Captain America/Iron Man smut.
    ^This. I don't even bother searching for any cool Marvel stuff anymore. Fortunately, I follow someone who reblogs a lot of cool Avengers stuffs (including comics) and she's totally not into the Steve/Tony thing, which makes me super happy. I'm kind of tired of the whole "Take two characters who have a scene together and make them gay for each other" thing. It got old a loooong time ago. And I honestly just... don't get it.

It was old before it even started. I don't get the pairing off of everyone in the series/movie/whatever at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    I'm kind of tired of the whole "Take two characters who have a scene together and make them gay for each other" thing. It got old a loooong time ago. And I honestly just... don't get it.
    I love when it happens for two characters who have never seen each other before, or have absolutely nothing in common.
    It's like.
    How did that even pop into your head that they were a great couple or something.

It was old before it even started. I don't get the pairing off of everyone in the series/movie/whatever at all.
    I'm okay if people in a show actually have some sort of chemistry together and you're like "Yeah, they'd make a cute couple" or whatever... But the whole idea of "OMG OTP OTP" is obnoxious and just plain weird.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorAndonomon View Post
    I love when it happens for two characters who have never seen each other before, or have absolutely nothing in common.
    It's like.
    How did that even pop into your head that they were a great couple or something.
    I see that kind of stuff a lot when girls thing two men are hot... so they make them gay for each other... It makes no sense to me. I mean, if they're boning each other, they probably don't wanna bone you. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    That would actually be Richie from Static Shock. I am pretty sure one of the creators flat out said he was gay on there internet.
    Fair, I guess. I've seen a tiny bit of Static Shock when it first aired.

I never understood why people have to obsess over media to make it the sole indicator of their identity. I can understand loving something to the extent you want to have more fun with it than the acutal show/book/game/whatever allows, but things are starting to get out of hand. Cult following doesn't mean you are supposed to actually form a cult around something.

Also just because we both like video games, comics, anime or whatever else doesn't mean we are all part of some big and happy family. I don't like my friends because they like the same shows I like, I like them because they are pleasant to be around.

All this geek/fandom /slash whatever the hell its called stuff is kind of silly and frustrating.
    All of this. I kind of want to see "fandom" go back into the metaphorical closet, but I also kinda grew up with it being there (most of the time), where kids would get their **** wrecked in the real world because they played card games. Now it's all over the place and you have things like Aperture Science cufflinks. Like, not to denigrate people who wear stuff like that, but that shows how far it's come. (Also, the fact that it's as widespread as it is now resulted in the widespreadness of psychotic fangirls and whatnot. It's not that I want to see it disappear because I want everyone who is similar to me to suffer the day I and my brother and a fair number of geeks my age and older did, but because I want THOSE PEOPLE to just go back to the relative underground -- much as that choice of phraseology irks me. Those people give a lot of geeks bad names.)

Me neither. If there's a legitimate reason, that the characters all pair off in canon, or actually show an interest in each other that could suggest a pair and not just friendship, then fine, but I'm fairly sure those are comparatively rare.

It's like.
    Indeed. Like, if you ship something like Scout and Soldier in TF2. I mean, just as an example.

There are even more bizarre pairing possibilities that I sincerely hope don't exist, though.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I see that kind of stuff a lot when girls thing two men are hot... so they make them gay for each other... It makes no sense to me. I mean, if they're boning each other, they probably don't wanna bone you. Just sayin'.
    OH COME ON don't tell me you haven't heard of three ways?

But in all seriousness, shippers freak me out.

Indeed. Like, if you ship something like Scout and Soldier in TF2. I mean, just as an example.

There are even more bizarre pairing possibilities that I sincerely hope don't exist, though.
    Well, if you want to get technical here, those two DO kind of interact. They're both playable classes who can be in the arena at the same time...also Meet the Spy, and they had speaking parts in Meet the Sandvich, but I digress. I'm talking characters that have never even been anywhere near each other, say Ash's mom and Alder or something like that. They've never had any interaction, yet they're still THE BEST OTP EVERSSS or whatever. I don't get it.
    Last edited by ArmorAndonomon; 14th November 2012 at 5:20 AM.

That just makes me think of this video.

But in all seriousness, shippers freak me out.
    Yeah, but I doubt they'd want some fifteen-year-old blogger to get in on their hawt man sex. But then I don't claim to know how shippers' minds work. One of life's pathetic mysteries.

Well, if you want to get technical here, those two DO kind of interact. They're both playable classes who can be in the arena at the same time...also Meet the Spy, and they had speaking parts in Meet the Sandvich, but I digress.
    Yeah. See, I guess it's less unreasonable, but when you compare it to one like, say, Soldier and Demoman, or Spy and Engineer, where there is so much more interaction than just both being playable classes and having two small speaking parts together... I mean, it's like that as opposed to Heavy and Medic. Which gets shipped pretty relentlessly.

I'm talking characters that have never even been anywhere near each other, say Ash's mom and Alder or something like that. They've never had any interaction, yet they're still THE BEST OTP EVERSSS or whatever. I don't get it.
    Yeah I... wait, who comes up with something like that? I mean, I might come up with bizarre, nonsensical ships as trolling exercises (like Ral Zarek and Jace Beleren, who I kind of only do that for because it's like a massive snipe at all of fandom), but on a serious level?

Having been around certain fandoms (not TF2 this time!), I should come to expect it, but it still makes my head spin every time, which may be the reason for my recent minor neck pains.

Yeah, but I doubt they'd want some fifteen-year-old blogger to get in on their hawt man sex. But then I don't claim to know how shippers' minds work. One of life's pathetic mysteries.
    Given that 90+% of Tumblr has a massive streak of self-pity you can see how i don't jive with them because i am fiery and unrepentant, I would imagine that they wouldn't, but who knows.

The usual links

o m g
    Shut your stupid face.
    THEY LOVE ME JUST AS THEY LOVE EACHOTHER AND I LOVE THEM
    So of course they would let me join
    YOU JUST DON'T GET IT
    ugggghhhhhh
    ;-;

Yeah I... wait, who comes up with something like that? I mean, I might come up with bizarre, nonsensical ships as trolling exercises (like Ral Zarek and Jace Beleren, who I kind of only do that for because it's like a massive snipe at all of fandom), but on a serious level?
    I really struggled to come up with that one, honestly, but in a few fandoms I've seen some really bizarre pairings. For example, one of the more recent ones I saw was a Digimon pairing, Tai from Adventure 01 and Takato from Tamers together, and I'm like "what. They're not even in the same seasons and have nothing in common what are you even thinking," and their response was "SHUT UP THEY WERE MADE FOR EACHOTHER."
    So yeah.
    Shippers are terrifying.

That just makes me think of this video.
    Made me think of this one.

Also, I'll push you down the steps. WHO'S TUMBLIN' NOW?
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoopes View Post
    Wow. I can't believe I hadn't seen that before now. That was pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoopes View Post
    That's actually what I was thinking of when I typed that, like that's probably what goes through those crazy shippers' heads or something.
    Idk.
    Kudos, though.
    Speaking of that video, I wish I had some more Bartles and Jaymes.

Man, I feel so behind the times since I don't know these videos very well. I tend to dodge those things.

I think I was introduced to the "Romney Style" video only about a week before the election.

The usual links

[IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

All this talk of the groundless hyperhomosexuality of the shipping phenomenon makes me nostalgic. I was politely humoring that stuff before it was popular to do so. Ahh, kids.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    All this talk of the groundless hyperhomosexuality of the shipping phenomenon makes me nostalgic. I was politely humoring that stuff before it was popular to do so. Ahh, kids.
    Hipster Shipper.

Even though I can't stand them today, mostly because they terrify me, I am completely guilty of taking part in the whole shipping thing, in my younger, terrible fanfic writing days. Fortunately I sobered up and realized how completely idiotic and terrifying that whole world was.
    Now I only bring it up during therapy sessions.
    And by therapy sessions I mean sobbing as my close friend, who is the same age as me, tells me about her latest fanfictions, favorite pairings, and nothing else at all. She's a great person, but oh my God Becky shut up about Danny Phantom and Kim Possible fanfics I'm going to drink myself into a stupor asdgasdg.

On one hand, I can respect shipping as an appreciation of art or whatever. Generally, it's women who do it because they just naturally care and fantasize about romantic relationships more often. Is there something inherently wrong with that? No.

On the other side of things, the amount of shipping I've seen has been nothing more than fetishizing homosexuality, insulting not just fans but original authors and designers for not "making a pair more obvious", and just general obnoxiousness about their feelings on couples to the point where they feel like the whole world owes them something for their own fantasy.

I respect couples that the artist actually went in to design.

But hearing about something unofficial and irrelevant just feels like a waste of time and effort to me and even more annoying if it's all that's ever talked about.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Hipster Shipper.
    Profesco confirmed for what happens to hipsters when they get old?

Even though I can't stand them today, mostly because they terrify me, I am completely guilty of taking part in the whole shipping thing, in my younger, terrible fanfic writing days. Fortunately I sobered up and realized how completely idiotic and terrifying that whole world was.
    Now I only bring it up during therapy sessions.
    And by therapy sessions I mean sobbing as my close friend, who is the same age as me, tells me about her latest fanfictions, favorite pairings, and nothing else at all. She's a great person, but oh my God Becky shut up about Danny Phantom and Kim Possible fanfics I'm going to drink myself into a stupor asdgasdg.
    Me too. Then I kind of realized that I was a creepy **** for that. Then I started seeing Marceline/Bubblegum **** and groaned when I realized it wasn't legal to punch them for that.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    On one hand, I can respect shipping as an appreciation of art or whatever. Generally, it's women who do it because they just naturally care and fantasize about romantic relationships more often. Is there something inherently wrong with that? No.

On the other side of things, the amount of shipping I've seen has been nothing more than fetishizing homosexuality, insulting not just fans but original authors and designers for not "making a pair more obvious", and just general obnoxiousness about their feelings on couples to the point where they feel like the whole world owes them something for their own fantasy.

I respect couples that the artist actually went in to design.

But hearing about something unofficial and irrelevant just feels like a waste of time and effort to me and even more annoying if it's all that's ever talked about.
    This, and especially the bolded part. Which is extremely annoying when it comes from the Tumblr-ites who complain about fetishizing homosexuality. And with regard to the "insulting original authors," I do kind of consider the stink made about that one Adventure Time pairing borderline bullying.

The usual links

This is the thread where we talk about everything and nothing?
    3DS FC: 4656-6673-5632.

Me too. Then I kind of realized that I was a creepy **** for that. Then I started seeing Marceline/Bubblegum **** and groaned when I realized it wasn't legal to punch them for that.
    I have no idea who those two are.

This, and especially the bolded part. Which is extremely annoying when it comes from the Tumblr-ites who complain about fetishizing homosexuality. And with regard to the "insulting original authors," I do kind of consider the stink made about that one Adventure Time pairing borderline bullying.
    It was a nightmare in the DeviantART community, which is one of the many reasons I left it. I don't know where this sudden lust for imagining two male characters humping each other into Oblivion came from, but in most scenarios that it's proposed in, it's either completely inappropriate/disgusting to think of, or it just doesn't work at all between the characters.
    A close Internet friend of mine came out to our group of friends, and the one girl started freaking out because "SHE NEVER MET A REAL GAY BEFORE" and "SHE FINALLY HAS SOMEONE TO DISCUSS YAOI WITH DESU >3<."
    I don't understaaaand.

Also, it's COMPLETELY OKAY for two dude characters to be put together, but shipping two FEMALE characters together is sexist and objectifying women because you're disgusting for thinking that way.

Page 920 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 8208709109169179189199209219229239249309701020 ... LastLast