Page 1086 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 8698610361076108210831084108510861087108810891090109611361186 ... LastLast
Results 27,126 to 27,150 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

  1. #27126
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Just so y'all know, Tina Fey + Alec Baldwin more than cancels out Tracy Morgan, so it's fine to watch 30 Rock.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Talk about a kick in the face.
    Holy crap that is seriously awesome I had no idea Kyou could do that OMG.

    Actually, after finishing the game, I've been watching the anime now, but it's a little disappointing: they surgically removed 60-70% of Tomoya's cool traits and ran them into a crap-converter to turn them into screentime for Nagisa instead. I hope it doesn't have that much of an impact on the rest of the series, but her presence seriously killed all of the profoundness and emotions that Fuko's story should have had. Also they changed it so that Yusuke doesn't get married in a jean jacket I mean wtf he was my hero because of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Yeah. Is it considered okay to give things negative scores all the time?

    That's almost what I want to base any future review **** I do on.
    It should be. There really needs to be a tipping point where you can say something is unwatchable/unplayable/unwhateverable. I mean, a score of 5/10 is usually pretty bad, but hypothetically it does half of everything right and may be worth a look. And who knows what any scores below that mean. It's too confusing, I tells ya.

  2. #27127
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Celadon City, Den of Vice
    Posts
    2,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh look another person on misc who thinks his opinions about the new mods matter.

    Tell me more.
    I'm pretty sure it's just Autis-misc being Autis-misc and talking about how much s/he is disliked. In this case saying that moot dislikes him/her, in the usual self-loathing fashion.
    Last edited by Zazie; 2nd February 2013 at 6:36 PM.

    Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/


  3. #27128
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    I was at a football (soccer) game this afternoon, and because of the Superbowl events taking place at Wembley tomorrow, we were treated to the Jacksonville Jaguars' cheerleaders and mascot presence as part of our half-time and pre-match entertainment.

    Our usual mascot just walks around doing the odd clap, shaking kids' hands, doing a little dance etc. The Jacksonville mascot semi-rugby tackled a mascot, went up to and abused the opposition's fans, whilst also mocking and dry humping their players. The cheerleaders weren't uggers either.

    For all that we can teach you about support, you lot can teach us about in-game entertainment. Go 'Merica.

  4. #27129
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Holy crap that is seriously awesome I had no idea Kyou could do that OMG.

    Actually, after finishing the game, I've been watching the anime now, but it's a little disappointing: they surgically removed 60-70% of Tomoya's cool traits and ran them into a crap-converter to turn them into screentime for Nagisa instead. I hope it doesn't have that much of an impact on the rest of the series, but her presence seriously killed all of the profoundness and emotions that Fuko's story should have had. Also they changed it so that Yusuke doesn't get married in a jean jacket I mean wtf he was my hero because of that.
    This is just a case of the VN being better than the anime (which is almost always the case). After story is the better part of it though. The first season is really just setting up the characters. If you ever feel the need to play another VN, you could try Rewrite. The English was fully completed last week, I haven't started it yet due to school but I've heard good things.

  5. #27130
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Actually, after finishing the game, I've been watching the anime now, but it's a little disappointing: they surgically removed 60-70% of Tomoya's cool traits and ran them into a crap-converter to turn them into screentime for Nagisa instead. I hope it doesn't have that much of an impact on the rest of the series, but her presence seriously killed all of the profoundness and emotions that Fuko's story should have had. Also they changed it so that Yusuke doesn't get married in a jean jacket I mean wtf he was my hero because of that.
    Adaptations are a pain in the ***.

    It should be. There really needs to be a tipping point where you can say something is unwatchable/unplayable/unwhateverable. I mean, a score of 5/10 is usually pretty bad, but hypothetically it does half of everything right and may be worth a look. And who knows what any scores below that mean. It's too confusing, I tells ya.
    Yeah. I loathe the standard four-point/nine-point scale as a result, because it really does end up giving you scores that imply a work still does something right while apparently it is the worst thing since sliced Hitler.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's just Autis-misc being Autis-misc and talking about how much s/he is disliked. In this case saying that moot dislikes him/her, in the usual self-loathing fashion.
    He would be so much more enjoyable if he just improved as a poster when notified of his suck instead of adopting a gimmick focused around it. It's managed to make him, shocker of shockers, worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    For all that we can teach you about support, you lot can teach us about in-game entertainment. Go 'Merica.
    Entertaining people is what we're good at here, and we get a lot of opportunities to practice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    This is just a case of the VN being better than the anime (which is almost always the case). After story is the better part of it though. The first season is really just setting up the characters. If you ever feel the need to play another VN, you could try Rewrite. The English was fully completed last week, I haven't started it yet due to school but I've heard good things.
    Incidentally, I don't think I've played any VNs.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  6. #27131
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    I was at a football (soccer) game this afternoon, and because of the Superbowl events taking place at Wembley tomorrow, we were treated to the Jacksonville Jaguars' cheerleaders and mascot presence as part of our half-time and pre-match entertainment.

    Our usual mascot just walks around doing the odd clap, shaking kids' hands, doing a little dance etc. The Jacksonville mascot semi-rugby tackled a mascot, went up to and abused the opposition's fans, whilst also mocking and dry humping their players. The cheerleaders weren't uggers either.

    For all that we can teach you about support, you lot can teach us about in-game entertainment. Go 'Merica.
    Football events? In England? I say!

    To be honest, I've never heard much about Jacksonville's mascot, so if you liked that, you might want to check out a more notorious one like the Philly Phanatic. I think there's a video where he's bringing security out onto the field to try and arrest the other team.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    This is just a case of the VN being better than the anime (which is almost always the case). After story is the better part of it though. The first season is really just setting up the characters. If you ever feel the need to play another VN, you could try Rewrite. The English was fully completed last week, I haven't started it yet due to school but I've heard good things.
    I suppose I should have expected it, but after hearing all sorts of good things about the anime, I just wasn't expecting every character to be tweaked to be worse than they were before (except Ryou, since she'll actually finish a sentence in less than a minute), while seemingly trying to be as faithful as possible to the original. And thanks, I'll check out Rewrite when I can, although I've still got at least 3 other VNs I've been meaning to get to for a while.

    Also, I take it that means that anime After Story is vastly superior to the original After Story? Sexcellent, the first 2/3 of that was probably the most boring crap I've ever read, and I've tried to read The Silmarillion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Adaptations are a pain in the ***.
    Yea, verily.

    Yeah. I loathe the standard four-point/nine-point scale as a result, because it really does end up giving you scores that imply a work still does something right while apparently it is the worst thing since sliced Hitler.
    There's a subjective interpretation to subjective opinions; it's totally ridiculous. I seriously don't understand the four-star system they use for movies, either. I mean, is there not a difference between, "Don't watch," and, "Kill yourself before watching"? I think there is, but maybe I'm just old-fashioned like that. I can hardly keep up with these suicide fads anymore.

    Incidentally, I don't think I've played any VNs.
    You should remedy this, STAT. Start with Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, and work your way down from there.

  7. #27132
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Football events? In England? I say!

    To be honest, I've never heard much about Jacksonville's mascot, so if you liked that, you might want to check out a more notorious one like the Philly Phanatic. I think there's a video where he's bringing security out onto the field to try and arrest the other team.
    The Superbowl is pretty big over here nowadays, and Jacksonville are taking part in one of the games at Wembley next season. I think they're the home team too.

    American sport is so wildly over-the-top. It's great. I would so very much love to hear european football-style chants at an NFL/College game. It would be hilarious.

  8. #27133

    Default

    Puppy Bowl > Super Bowl, just sayin'.

    Also, I've decided to go back to college to major in Education, as I wanted to originally. I'm just sick of sitting here hating myself for the schooling choices I've made so far, and intend to move forward and hopefully be happy with my future, instead of working terrible jobs and hating everything about myself. Things are going to go better this time.

  9. #27134
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmorAndonomon View Post
    Puppy Bowl > Super Bowl, just sayin'.

    Also, I've decided to go back to college to major in Education, as I wanted to originally. I'm just sick of sitting here hating myself for the schooling choices I've made so far, and intend to move forward and hopefully be happy with my future, instead of working terrible jobs and hating everything about myself. Things are going to go better this time.
    There are some that say education is a terrible job :/

    no effense

  10. #27135
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    597

    Default

    I'm always confused when Americans start talking about going to college, seeing as in Britain, College is essentially a halfway house between Secondary Schools (High Schools) & Universities (Colleges/Universities(Why do they mean both 'Merica? Why do they mean both.)
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

  11. #27136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armando Payne View Post
    I'm always confused when Americans start talking about going to college, seeing as in Britain, College is essentially a halfway house between Secondary Schools (High Schools) & Universities (Colleges/Universities(Why do they mean both 'Merica? Why do they mean both.)
    It's not just America, you know.

  12. #27137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armando Payne View Post
    I'm always confused when Americans start talking about going to college, seeing as in Britain, College is essentially a halfway house between Secondary Schools (High Schools) & Universities (Colleges/Universities(Why do they mean both 'Merica? Why do they mean both.)
    Quite the opposite for me, as I get confused when people not from the States mention they're going from college to university, when I've always known them as the same thing. :u How exciting.

  13. #27138
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,496

    Default

    We have some liberal arts colleges that give you 4 years of education and turn you loose. Then others have graduate schools and is then eligible to be called university.

  14. #27139
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,595

  15. #27140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    Yay, I learned things today. Thank you for the information, that was a good read.

  16. #27141
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Also, I take it that means that anime After Story is vastly superior to the original After Story? Sexcellent, the first 2/3 of that was probably the most boring crap I've ever read, and I've tried to read The Silmarillion.
    I personally found it so, or at least it was consistent since it's not trying to fit every girl in like part 1 did.



    You should remedy this, STAT. Start with Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, and work your way down from there.
    I should also start that eventually. My backlog and procrastination is preventing this though. I should be doing homework and studying, not playing animu.

  17. #27142
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Die Vereinigten Staaten
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    Honestly, this cleared up so many things, lol.

  18. #27143
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    144

    Default

    WOW THIS CHAPSTICK IS HORRIBLE IT'S MAKING MY LIPS BURN MORE.
    caps

  19. #27144
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    There's a subjective interpretation to subjective opinions; it's totally ridiculous. I seriously don't understand the four-star system they use for movies, either. I mean, is there not a difference between, "Don't watch," and, "Kill yourself before watching"? I think there is, but maybe I'm just old-fashioned like that. I can hardly keep up with these suicide fads anymore.
    And that's a problem, too; apparently everything below 3/5 is a gilded turd, depending on who you're asking, where 3/5 is somehow still the baseline for "good" things. At 2.5 it has redeeming qualities but they still don't make it worth even borrowing from a friend, apparently -- at least, that's how I understand it. I may be looking too much at allmusic, which employs several "critics" who like everything and give half-opinions and four-line reviews when a "line" is about 400 pixels wide.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  20. #27145
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    *sigh* Ohio
    Posts
    6,835

    Default

    That's one thing I don't like about ratings systems, especially ones on a 10 scale. Video games are probably the worst, as a 10 means a great game, a 9 is a good game, and 8 an ok game, and anything below is an awful game.

  21. #27146
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    9,084

    Default

    Sogeking

    From Sniper Island
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

  22. #27147
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    That's one thing I don't like about ratings systems, especially ones on a 10 scale. Video games are probably the worst, as a 10 means a great game, a 9 is a good game, and 8 an ok game, and anything below is an awful game.
    This too. Generally, the wider the scale gets, the more of it (percentage-wise) goes to "this is awful and if you play/listen to/watch it you too are awful"

    I still want to do what is basically a reversed scale, mostly because the numbers really don't matter anyway.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  23. #27148
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    That's one thing I don't like about ratings systems, especially ones on a 10 scale. Video games are probably the worst, as a 10 means a great game, a 9 is a good game, and 8 an ok game, and anything below is an awful game.
    To be fair unless I have prior knowledge of the game, if the reviewer says it only does half the things well then I don't really want to buy it.

  24. #27149
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Celadon City, Den of Vice
    Posts
    2,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    That's one thing I don't like about ratings systems, especially ones on a 10 scale. Video games are probably the worst, as a 10 means a great game, a 9 is a good game, and 8 an ok game, and anything below is an awful game.
    It really doesn't, people have just gotten so strict with what games they will play, that they only want to play the best of the best. I have had some good fun experiences with 7 games and most 6 games are playable at worst.

    I do think the 10 point scale is way too granular, but I generally find it easy enough to understand in most cases. (I generally don't take the exact numbers too seriously though)
    Last edited by Zazie; 3rd February 2013 at 5:50 AM.

    Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/


  25. #27150
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,918

    Default

    I think people focus on the ratings numbers too much instead of bothering to read the review itself, since a mere "Overall" score cannot possibly cover all that many nuances about the game in question.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

Page 1086 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 8698610361076108210831084108510861087108810891090109611361186 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •