Page 579 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 479529569575576577578579580581582583589629679 ... LastLast
Results 14,451 to 14,475 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

  1. #14451
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Celadon City, Den of Vice
    Posts
    2,245

    Default

    Music from the 70s is pretty awesome. I don't have in depth knowledge of it, but there is somepretty good rock and funk/soul from that time period.

    I can really say much about the 60's There were a few good bands, but most of it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

    And best bands of the period ? My current picks are Led Zepplina nd Queen, though I definitely would like to listen to some more Roxy Music and T. Rex before making any top x lists. (I really should do some more in depth listening before I can make a good list)

  2. #14452
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoopes View Post
    *brofist*

    (Though Creedence Clearwater Revival is da best out of all of those bands from that time period, with Jimi Hendrix Experience a close second.)
    CCR is most definitely one of my favorites (well, it's all relative), but it's almost a strange choice for a definitive favorite, unless you're into Southern rock (uh... even though they're not southern). The Who > The Jimi Hendrix Experience, though, j/s

    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    Music from the 70s is pretty awesome. I don't have in depth knowledge of it, but there is somepretty good rock and funk/soul from that time period.

    I can really say much about the 60's There were a few good bands, but most of it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

    And best bands of the period ? My current picks are Led Zepplina nd Queen, though I definitely would like to listen to some more Roxy Music and T. Rex before making any top x lists. (I really should do some more in depth listening before I can make a good list)
    Yeah, I honestly don't delineate much between 60's and 70's bands, and usually just group them together (then again, most of them do carry over). I guess I lean more towards 70's though, with exceptions to, like, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Who, and Yardbirds, plus a few others. I like Queen and Led Zeppelin (duh), too. Actually, Led Zeppelin is easily in my top 10. Glam rock is the ****, too, though. Hmm. Let's just agree that it's all pretty fine.

  3. #14453
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Your computer screen.
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Ya know, generally I like Southern rock, but it's not an absolute favorite of mine overall. However, CCR is the big exception to this rule. Something about their songs just makes them better IMO than the rest of the Southern rock bands. Also, The Who is a very respectable choice over Hendrix, and I love them as well. Same goes with Zeppelin, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones, though to a lesser extent with the Stones.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

  4. #14454
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoopes View Post
    Ya know, generally I like Southern rock, but it's not an absolute favorite of mine overall. However, CCR is the big exception to this rule. Something about their songs just makes them better IMO than the rest of the Southern rock bands. Also, The Who is a very respectable choice over Hendrix, and I love them as well. Same goes with Zeppelin, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones, though to a lesser extent with the Stones.
    CCR is more accessible than most southern rock, that's for sure. I still prefer .38 Special and Lynyrd Skynyrd myself, and maybe even The Outlaws and Blackfoot. Nevertheless, even though it's a compilation, Chronicle may very well be the finest album in all existence.

    Also, the reason I mentioned The Who, specifically, was because at one of their first American shows, at some big festival, Pete Townshend and Jimi Hendrix got in an argument about which group would go up first, and Jimi drew the short straw. He then pulled every stunt he knew to show up The Who, and sometime after the show, Pete went up to him to tell him what a great show it was, and Jimi got all pissed off and made a bunch of immature and racist remarks. What a jackass, huh?

    and the Stones are just as good as the Beatles and Led Zeppelin what are you talking about

  5. #14455

    Default

    Modern pop.

  6. #14456
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Online or offline.
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post

    What's wrong with you? Listening to music from the 60's and 70's will improve your life in every conceivable way, so you should start immediately. Let's see, I'd recommend... oh, I dunno, Kansas, maybe? That, or The Beatles. Hm, hard call as to which is better.
    I just started listening to 60's music and The Beatles sounds amazing in my headphones

  7. #14457
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Modern pop.
    If it produced that girl in your signature, I guess it can't be that bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlutterDash View Post
    I just started listening to 60's music and The Beatles sounds amazing in my headphones
    The Beatles are amazing no matter how you listen to them. You should try melting down a CD of Magical Mystery Tour and injecting it into your veins.
    Last edited by GrizzlyB; 18th May 2012 at 6:59 AM.

  8. #14458

    Default

    Actually, while we're on the topic of music, I guess I'll make you guys suffer through this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szxp1f9EnP0

  9. #14459
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Online or offline.
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    The Beatles are amazing no matter how you listen to them. You should try melting down a CD of Magical Mystery Tour and injecting it into your veins.
    My mum owns 2 Beatles greatest hits but i didn't really listen to them until now when i downloaded some music by them

  10. #14460
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Celadon City, Den of Vice
    Posts
    2,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Modern pop.
    Actually some good stuff. At least what I have heard of it. (ei. at parties) a lot of it some nice drum beats and synth melodies. It actually makes me want to dance. Way better than the empty sounding stuff from the late 90s. I don't understand why people have to rag on it so much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Actually, while we're on the topic of music, I guess I'll make you guys suffer through this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szxp1f9EnP0
    I actually like this.
    Last edited by Zazie; 18th May 2012 at 7:15 AM.

  11. #14461
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmorAndonomon View Post
    Now what have I told you all about trying to apply logic to things? Stop that. Stop that right now.
    Oops.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    I thought as much. Given your general propensity towards progressive rock, I really would have been better off just assuming.
    Probably, I guess. I don't listen to the Moody Blues a lot, but when I do, I damn well enjoy it.

    Well, the time it is taking is reasonable on the whole, yeah. I was referring more to the whole, "New album's out soon! Wait, no it's not. Okay, soon now. No, hold up, another delay," thing. Though Clockwork Angels hasn't been pushed back for more than maybe a year, so I suppose comparing it to Chinese Democracy was in poor taste.
    Fair enough. I don't know how much overall it's been pushed back; I think the date was always "early 2012" or something.

    well waht can i say- you've won 20 internet dollars.

    Admittedly, I hadn't been aware that it was a big enough song that they'd made a video of it and it'd have its own Wikipedia page. I guess I just underestimated The Moody Blues in general. Never again.
    I always knew it was a single (which is basically all a song needs to get its own Wikipedia page).

    What's wrong with you? Listening to music from the 60's and 70's will improve your life in every conceivable way, so you should start immediately.
    YES.

    Let's see, I'd recommend... oh, I dunno, Kansas, maybe? That, or The Beatles. Hm, hard call as to which is better.
    I'd go with Kansas, but I'm a prog nut. Hard to not acknowledge wat the Beatles... at least brought to the limelight, but I think I like more of Kansas better. Having a few years for rock to "congeal" will do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    Music from the 70s is pretty awesome. I don't have in depth knowledge of it, but there is somepretty good rock and funk/soul from that time period.

    I can really say much about the 60's There were a few good bands, but most of it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

    And best bands of the period ? My current picks are Led Zepplina nd Queen, though I definitely would like to listen to some more Roxy Music and T. Rex before making any top x lists. (I really should do some more in depth listening before I can make a good list)
    Worthy idea. For Your Pleasure is solid as all git-out. Far as Queen goes... I think my favorite songs are "Keep Yourself Alive," "Flick of the Wrist," "Death On Two Legs," and "Dragon Attack." And "Bohemian Rhapsody," but when you hear that ALL THE DAMN TIME, it's hard to love it the same way, you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    and the Stones are just as good as the Beatles and Led Zeppelin what are you talking about
    I think it's way too easy for some people to say that the Stones ripped off the Beatles. Nnnnot really true, though, man.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Modern pop.
    I'm a little cold toward it. But I think that at least some number of artists wouldn't have the same type of career if Siouxsie Sioux didn't happen.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  12. #14462
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Online or offline.
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    Actually some good stuff. At least what I have heard of it. (ei. at parties) a lot of it some nice drum beats and synth melodies. It actually makes me want to dance. Way better than the empty sounding stuff from the late 90s. I don't understand why people have to rag on it so much.
    Most 90's pop is pretty bad and most modern pop is good expect some artists *cough*LMFAO*cough*

  13. #14463
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Celadon City, Den of Vice
    Posts
    2,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlutterDash View Post
    Most 90's pop is pretty bad and most modern pop is good expect some artists *cough*LMFAO*cough*
    There is some good 90s stuff too, but I can't say I am a big fan of Britney Spears style pop.

  14. #14464
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Online or offline.
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    There is some good 90s stuff too, but I can't say I am a big fan of Britney Spears style pop.
    It was mostly just boy bands which are making a comeback but i liked Aqua the most

  15. #14465
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlutterDash View Post
    My mum owns 2 Beatles greatest hits but i didn't really listen to them until now when i downloaded some music by them
    Freebase them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I don't listen to the Moody Blues a lot, but when I do, I damn well enjoy it.
    Who wouldn't? But you're either really familiar with that song (especially considering I can't really make out half of the lyrics), or have some really good search method to figure it out. I left, like, two lines unaltered and thought any search would turn up a bunch of weeaboo nonsense. This is a very big mystery to me, you see.

    Fair enough. I don't know how much overall it's been pushed back; I think the date was always "early 2012" or something.
    I could have sworn I was expecting it by at least this time last year. But whatever, it's not like they'll put it back any further now (probably), and we'll have it within the month.

    I'd go with Kansas, but I'm a prog nut. Hard to not acknowledge wat the Beatles... at least brought to the limelight, but I think I like more of Kansas better. Having a few years for rock to "congeal" will do that.
    Words can't express how glad I am you think that. Still, progressive rock is really hit-or-miss, depending on the person, but I can't think of any reason for anyone to dislike the Beatles, other than being really closed-minded and whining about how "overrated" they are. Even with how great so many people think they are, though, I still find it hard to actually overrate them; they're just honestly that good.

    I think it's way too easy for some people to say that the Stones ripped off the Beatles. Nnnnot really true, though, man.
    No idea why anyone would think this. One thing I have heard kinda often (mostly from other musicians who followed both) is that the Beatles were sort of this untouchable plateau of perfection that people thought could never really be replicated, with their intricately written and performed songs, but the Rolling Stones were more rough around the edges and down to earth, and listening to them, you'd think, "Hey, I could do this if I wanted to!" The only comparisons I can really see between the two is that they're the two biggest and most enduring groups of the British Invasion era.

  16. #14466
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    I could have sworn I was expecting it by at least this time last year. But whatever, it's not like they'll put it back any further now (probably), and we'll have it within the month.
    Could have been. Which would have made sense, though, since the first single was released June 2010...

    Words can't express how glad I am you think that. Still, progressive rock is really hit-or-miss, depending on the person, but I can't think of any reason for anyone to dislike the Beatles, other than being really closed-minded and whining about how "overrated" they are. Even with how great so many people think they are, though, I still find it hard to actually overrate them; they're just honestly that good.
    I kinda feel like I'm the only person who actually thinks this way about the 70s, at times -- the idea that the genre was more "fully formed" and it led to more perfected pieces. Could, technology permitting, The Dark Side of the Moon (to just pick a widely chosen "Best [Rock] Album Ever") have happened as it did in 1967?

    No idea why anyone would think this. One thing I have heard kinda often (mostly from other musicians who followed both) is that the Beatles were sort of this untouchable plateau of perfection that people thought could never really be replicated, with their intricately written and performed songs, but the Rolling Stones were more rough around the edges and down to earth, and listening to them, you'd think, "Hey, I could do this if I wanted to!" The only comparisons I can really see between the two is that they're the two biggest and most enduring groups of the British Invasion era.
    I think the big point that causes people to think that is Their Satanic Majesties Request and its apparent similarity to Sgt. Pepper -- and there are some reasons to think they're close together, but I'd argue there aren't enough reasons to really consider them that close that the Stones' album is a Beatles knockoff.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  17. #14467
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,074

    Default

    I don't listen to anything post World War 2.

  18. #14468
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,906

    Default

    At least that lets you have Artie Shaw and some jazz (though I guess Artie Shaw would count as jazz, too?). But I suppose you skip over the openings and endings of your anime, then?

    (Not that I wouldn't do the same.)
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  19. #14469
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Online or offline.
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    At least that lets you have Artie Shaw and some jazz (though I guess Artie Shaw would count as jazz, too?). But I suppose you skip over the openings and endings of your anime, then?
    I think she would also have to skip most of the anime anyway because of the background music

  20. #14470
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    But I suppose you skip over the openings and endings of your anime, then?

    (Not that I wouldn't do the same.)
    Eh, I try to give them two or three episodes to see of they catch on. But after that, yeah.

  21. #14471
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I kinda feel like I'm the only person who actually thinks this way about the 70s, at times -- the idea that the genre was more "fully formed" and it led to more perfected pieces. Could, technology permitting, The Dark Side of the Moon (to just pick a widely chosen "Best [Rock] Album Ever") have happened as it did in 1967?
    That is a good question. I kinda doubt it, though. It seems like back then, so many bands were building on each others' work, and that when someone came out with something really revolutionary (like Sgt. Pepper, to name an extremely obvious example), it completely changed the whole scene. It's like... I don't know, each innovation was shared with everybody? That's certainly one way to develop a genre, anywho, and I think that's what happened. And this is especially true when it comes to progressive, because they'll keep pushing the boundaries out further, and then they have to push those new boundaries out further. So yeah, I think it's fair to say that the genre would be more fully formed by the 70's than it was in the 60's.

    And, I don't know, I don't follow much music today, but that seems to be something missing these days. Instead of appreciating and building on each others' work, it's much more common for bands to decry and feud over the music these days, and it shows in both attitude and quality, I think. Or something.

    I think the big point that causes people to think that is Their Satanic Majesties Request and its apparent similarity to Sgt. Pepper -- and there are some reasons to think they're close together, but I'd argue there aren't enough reasons to really consider them that close that the Stones' album is a Beatles knockoff.
    Listening to a few songs off that album, I can see where it's coming from. Still, that's pretty dissimilar to most of the Stones' work, as far as I'm concerned. And besides, there were dozens of response albums aimed at and following Sgt. Pepper. I don't think it's any bigger of a deal for the Rolling Stones to have done it than anybody else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I don't listen to anything post World War 2.
    'Attaboy.

  22. #14472
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    And, I don't know, I don't follow much music today, but that seems to be something missing these days. Instead of appreciating and building on each others' work, it's much more common for bands to decry and feud over the music these days, and it shows in both attitude and quality, I think. Or something.
    Basically true. I mean, places could really be gone to if bands built off each other more. New sounds could be explored; current sounds could be expanded to their logical conclusion and beyond. But as it stands...

    Maybe that's why sometimes modern music seems like it's at such a standstill, and why e.g. Dream Theater released the same album twice during the latter half of the decade that just ended a couple years back. You can't exactly build a building on a foundation of dung. (Well, you could, but it'd be a bad idea.)

    (Also a bad analogy for so many reasons.)

    Listening to a few songs off that album, I can see where it's coming from. Still, that's pretty dissimilar to most of the Stones' work, as far as I'm concerned. And besides, there were dozens of response albums aimed at and following Sgt. Pepper. I don't think it's any bigger of a deal for the Rolling Stones to have done it than anybody else.
    Also true. Maybe it's because they were both as huge as they were at the time (and as popular as they STILL are now)... and, you know, fanboys.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  23. #14473
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Exile
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I don't listen to anything post World War 2.
    I don't listen to anything played with instruments not made out of bones.

  24. #14474
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Online or offline.
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    I don't listen to anything played with instruments not made out of bones.
    *goes on Fenix's last.fm page*
    The Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, The White Stripes, Birds Of Tokyo and Pink Floyd instruments are not made out of bones

  25. #14475
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Exile
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    I listen to Birds of Tokyo? What's that?

    Must have been from when I was experimenting with the lastfm radio I'd wager.

    Also your argument holds no water.

Page 579 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 479529569575576577578579580581582583589629679 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •