Page 322 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 2222723123183193203213223233243253263323724221322 ... LastLast
Results 8,026 to 8,050 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    The theory of evolution has informed every subdiscipline in biology and some disciplines outside of biology, but it can't inform the study of human behavior and cognition?
    When it boils down to "women don't like me because they're genetically programmed to be bitches who only go after jerks", no it can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Korusan View Post
    When it boils down to "women don't like me because they're genetically programmed to be bitches who only go after jerks", no it can't.
    Or (as I've frequently heard in evo psych circles) "rape is normal because men are just trying to spread their seed, it's science!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

Agreed entirely. It doesn't delegitimize the field, though - just the particular poor science/scientists. There are bad biologists, physicists, and chemists out there, but the fields are still useful and informative areas of inquiry.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

I wouldn't think so. I have assumed the big bang theory was attatched to evolution. I mean, where else would it go?

Meh. We got dis. Powerful vines and all. We whip 'em. With our vines. Powah Whip. :3
    In honor of AlexandriaTheMixed and Project Retribution
    Oh, the shame...

Lol it's Remorph

The theory of evolution has informed every subdiscipline in biology and some disciplines outside of biology, but it can't inform the study of human behavior and cognition?
    You should probably take a course in Biopsychology or Neurobiology, as it slightly expands a little on evolution and the brain.

But mind concepts are different compared to something such as a material thing such as the brain.

It's pretty tough to be able to expound on a stateless concept in comparison that's materialistically seen in the visible eye.

Evolution could probably be able to expand on psychology in a way by monitoring the evolutionary thinking process and patterns of humans over the centuries to this day and forward.

I think developmental lifespan kind of counts for that I suppose.

Anything that tries to explain scientific things through the filter of political correctness is not science, its feel good propaganda.

People have different ideas throughout the ages... that's not evolution.

In Schools, teachers are forced to preach evolution, or get fired. Is this feel good politics?

Meh. We got dis. Powerful vines and all. We whip 'em. With our vines. Powah Whip. :3
    Oh, the shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Remorph View Post
    I wouldn't think so. I have assumed the big bang theory was attatched to evolution. I mean, where else would it go?
    The big bang theory is attached to how the universe came to be. Basically, there was a singularity with all the matter and energy and various other cool things contained in it. Then, due to an unknown catalyst, the singularity burst, creating massive amounts of energy. All the matter, dark matter, that kind of stuff coalesced to form stars and planets and clouds and other such cool formations. We know this coalescing happened because the further away we see with telescopes, the further back in celestial time we see due to the whole deal with light years. Anyway, evolution is tied to the idea that some catalyst (it's not clear what, though there are loads of theories) made it so that matter on Earth began displaying some functions of what we now know as biological beings. Eventually, proto-cells formed, and then some of these cells evolved through random chance to create oxygen through their biological processes. This led to what is called the "Cambrian Explosion" because oxygen provides large amounts of energy (at least to carbon based life forms) and allowed for organisms to become mutli-cellular, eventually necessitating the development of complex capabilities like sight, hearing, and independent movement. Eventually, through the natural selection of successful organisms having more offspring, lifeforms became more complex, and even developed brains (proto-animals, some of which are still alive today, simply had "nerve nets.") The slow development of some forms of life from sea-based to amphibious to land dwelling, a few major extinction events, the increasing competition as organisms grew more complex and diverse, and the shifting climate and geography of the Earth cleared the field for new types of life to phase in and out. So today we have Mammal dominance, but who knows? Maybe tomorrow it will be birds. Evolution marches on.

ETA: I'm sorry, but using terms like "preaching evolution" to describe teaching credible science over dogma makes you sound ignorant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tisub Lord of Kummi View Post
    Anything that tries to explain scientific things through the filter of political correctness is not science, its feel good propaganda.
    Oh Teshub, why don't you have a sitcom yet?
    Beware children and heed Uncle Lutz, lest these devious feminists obliterate you:

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    There are a few feminists out there with such a extreme view in terms of wiping out men that it matches the Nazi's movement of seeing a lower class and or being utterly genocidal.

Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus View Post
    The big bang theory is attached to how the universe came to be. Basically, there was a singularity with all the matter and energy and various other cool things contained in it. Then, due to an unknown catalyst, the singularity burst, creating massive amounts of energy. All the matter, dark matter, that kind of stuff coalesced to form stars and planets and clouds and other such cool formations. We know this coalescing happened because the further away we see with telescopes, the further back in celestial time we see due to the whole deal with light years. Anyway, evolution is tied to the idea that some catalyst (it's not clear what, though there are loads of theories) made it so that matter on Earth began displaying some functions of what we now know as biological beings. Eventually, proto-cells formed, and then some of these cells evolved through random chance to create oxygen through their biological processes. This led to what is called the "Cambrian Explosion" because oxygen provides large amounts of energy (at least to carbon based life forms) and allowed for organisms to become mutli-cellular, eventually necessitating the development of complex capabilities like sight, hearing, and independent movement. Eventually, through the natural selection of successful organisms having more offspring, lifeforms became more complex, and even developed brains (proto-animals, some of which are still alive today, simply had "nerve nets.") The slow development of some forms of life from sea-based to amphibious to land dwelling, a few major extinction events, the increasing competition as organisms grew more complex and diverse, and the shifting climate and geography of the Earth cleared the field for new types of life to phase in and out. So today we have Mammal dominance, but who knows? Maybe tomorrow it will be birds. Evolution marches on.

ETA: I'm sorry, but using terms like "preaching evolution" to describe teaching credible science over dogma makes you sound ignorant.

Random chance? Chance is only an idea, and you attach it to anything you can't explain. You are forced to, because this is your worldview.

For lack of a better word, I used preach. Im sorry my brain isnt working today.

Oh, the shame...

People have different ideas throughout the ages... that's not evolution.

In Schools, teachers are forced to preach evolution, or get fired. Is this feel good politics?
    My biology teacher doesn't believe in evolution, yet half of what we've learned this semester is about evolution...

The science that is published today is limited, it cannot be said that all the theories we know are 100% correct so it's a work in progress. Unlike religion where it relishes on its own ignorance, and thinks it knows everything for sure.

The science that is published today is limited, it cannot be said that all the theories we know are 100% correct so it's a work in progress. Unlike religion where it relishes on its own ignorance, and thinks it knows everything for sure.
    Possibly because we do, because God told us through a book called the Bible, that scientists today actually RELY on for ancient history for it's accuracy. Of course, they edit out all of the "God stuff".

Oh, the shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    You should probably take a course in Biopsychology or Neurobiology, as it slightly expands a little on evolution and the brain.
    Everybody's got something they enjoy learning, something they want to do with their lives. Those things are part of mine. ^_^

Evolution could probably be able to expand on psychology in a way by monitoring the evolutionary thinking process and patterns of humans over the centuries to this day and forward.
    Something like that, yep.

What about trying to explain scientific findings through the filter of "actually being credible science and also not tactless verbal diarrhea"? I'm aiming for that kind of science, personally.

Possibly because we do, because God told us through a book called the Bible, that scientists today actually RELY on for ancient history for it's accuracy. Of course, they edit out all of the "God stuff".
    I didn't get into any of the good schools where they offer those Biblical Neurology courses.
    Last edited by Profesco; 1st February 2012 at 6:28 AM.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

That's nullified because the bible relies a lot on older pagan ideas. So if it was "god" that communicated through the bible it's also a lot of hairy, sweaty people that lived in mudbrick houses and wrote on clay tablets.

What about trying to explain scientific findings through the filter of "actually being credible science and also not tactless verbal diarrhea"? I'm aiming for that kind of science, personally.
    What is credible science? Something that sounds good to your sensibilities or what is proven time and time again?

Well, sciences are amazing. They are VERY helpful. However, there are a few questionable theories I do NOT agree with, such as evolution.

Dude, not really. The Isrealites used a form of soap. They weren't barbarians.

Oh, the shame...

Well, sciences are amazing. They are VERY helpful. However, there are a few questionable theories I do NOT agree with, such as evolution.

Dude, not really. The Isrealites used a form of soap. They weren't barbarians.
    Most of the bible seems to be a tribal tale of how those who follow the tribe's god are so great and deserve to own the land and kill their rivals. Was god really that petty?

Quote Originally Posted by belbackinblack View Post
    Oh Teshub, why don't you have a sitcom yet?
    Because the creators networks (had a ******* moment) know it'd get a similar type of flak to what a KKK sitcom would get.

we don't take kindly to smart people around these parts

No. God had a plan for them, and he told them what to do. You should read more than just the first 10 books of the bible if that's what you think the whole Bible is.

Oh, the shame...

Tisub and Remorph, please take further Biblical argument either to VM or the Debate subforum.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014

Sure. Back on topic. Wait... is there even a topic?

Oh, the shame...

Sure. Back on topic. Wait... is there even a topic?
    What, here? Why would we have a topic, you silly?

Some type of math problem-
    Yeah, my head hurts.

lol @ people who dont believe in evolution

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Page 322 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 2222723123183193203213223233243253263323724221322 ... LastLast