Page 425 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 3253754154214224234244254264274284294354755251425 ... LastLast
Results 10,601 to 10,625 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

anyone who called in sick yesterday at my work got accused of having the 'N7 Virus'

hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    anyone who called in sick yesterday at my work got accused of having the 'N7 Virus'

hahahaha
    That's hilarious.

Apparently, "the N7 Virus" isn't going over so well with some people.

Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    Cinnamon Toast Crunch(Curiously Cinnamon for the UK) is the greatest cereal on earth.
    I much prefer Fruit Loops. I don't really care about the taste as much as a find it quite delightful to be a quer person eating the queerest of all breakfast cereals.

Count Chocula is also pretty awesome since its cocoa puffs + lucky charms and the vampire mascot is pretty messed up looking. Chocolate Lucky Charms are pretty **** however and are not a good substitute.

I kind of have a weird fascination with children's breakfast cereals, their mascots and their commercials, even though I don't really care much for actually eating them.

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    Man, let's not even talk about Mass Effect 3. I'm bound to completely lose my **** about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariya Shidou View Post
    How does that end up as a class song? Sure it's not anti-all-education, but it seems that way to a lot of *******es.
    One of the weaknesses of a democracy, I guess. Dunno why the administration didn't nix it, though, considering they supervised the senior prank. I suppose it was because we voted to switch it to that two days before graduation, even though we'd already decided that it'd be "Wish You Were Here" months earlier. This was on a bus, too, so there weren't any higher-ups to say anything about it, to boot.

To me, a lot of the Rush songs found on the albums only are way better than what tends to be most played on the radio. "Heresy" will beat out most of the hit singles any day. Never mind also "Between the Wheels," "Cygnus X-1," "The Fountain of Lamneth," "Cut to the Chase," "Armor & Sword," "Manhattan Project" ...
    "The Fountain of Lamneth" is an awesome song. I think most of my favorites aren't quite as obscure as yours, like "Hemispheres", "Time Stand Still", "Animate", "Nobody's Hero", "Tai Shan", "In the End", "Far Cry", "Caravan", and, uh, a lot more. To put it simply, I do like Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Armorandonomon View Post
    My dad just looked over my shoulder and told me that I should have more friends like you. The man's been Rush's biggest fan since the 70's. Got me into them when I was young, and "Snakes & Arrows" still stands as my favorite album from pretty much any group.

I still like to imagine that the drums are just always on his person...even though the crane thing is p cool.
    As much as I like finding ways to prove people wrong, I just can't do it here. Your dad is absolutely right. Snakes & Arrows is definitely pretty ballin', but then again, all their albums are, so it's, like, w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    How do you pronounce "Peart?"
    It's hard to describe precisely without using those IPA or whatever characters, but the e-a-r in the middle is kinda a cross between "ear" and "air", with the P and t sounding about how you'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by belbackinblack View Post
    Like the band Yes and "Owner of a Lonely Heart"
    The difference is that probably nobody even knows that the song is by Yes. Which should really be a fate reserved only for one-hit wonder bands. Not sure if most people associate them with "I've Seen All Good People" and "Roundabout", though.

P.S.- "Siberian Khatru" is a ridiculously good song.

Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    Last time I heard it was Pert.

Saw Rush back in the 80s. Moving Pictures Tour. They started with 2112. No lights, softly playing till the power cord.

FLASH POT blinded the arena. My world was Rocked!
    That would be the commonly mistaken pronunciation. I have yet to see Rush live (see; me whining earlier about concerts sold out to non-fans), but I have no doubt that I would be similarly blown away.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    "The Fountain of Lamneth" is an awesome song. I think most of my favorites aren't quite as obscure as yours, like "Hemispheres", "Time Stand Still", "Animate", "Nobody's Hero", "Tai Shan", "In the End", "Far Cry", "Caravan", and, uh, a lot more. To put it simply, I do like Rush.
    No shock there. I pretty much chose the more obscure songs just because I felt those made it really clear how good the album tracks are. (And Manhattan Project... well, I think that's less obscure, but hey, let's not dig into that too much.)

The difference is that probably nobody even knows that the song is by Yes. Which should really be a fate reserved only for one-hit wonder bands. Not sure if most people associate them with "I've Seen All Good People" and "Roundabout", though.

P.S.- "Siberian Khatru" is a ridiculously good song.
    Also true. As far as what most people associate them with... I think it depends on what they listen to. I personally think of "Heart of the Sunrise" or "Machine Messiah" (or "Siberian Khatru," but you already mentioned that) when I think of them, but I don't listen to the radio to hear my favorite bands, usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariya Shidou View Post
    No shock there. I pretty much chose the more obscure songs just because I felt those made it really clear how good the album tracks are. (And Manhattan Project... well, I think that's less obscure, but hey, let's not dig into that too much.)
    Ah, that makes sense, too. Of course, we keep talking about obscure tracks, but I guess, in all practicality, that a group as prolific as Rush can't have any significant portion of their work be well-known. Hell, even The Beatles are pretty much the same in that regard. The difference, of course, is that Rush doesn't have a 99% chance of showing up on any given person's list of favorite bands. ... not that it prevents me from being annoyed about their concerts being sold out to pseudo fans who just wanna hear the hits (and in Rush's case, see the drumming), all the same.

Also true. As far as what most people associate them with... I think it depends on what they listen to. I personally think of "Heart of the Sunrise" or "Machine Messiah" (or "Siberian Khatru," but you already mentioned that) when I think of them, but I don't listen to the radio to hear my favorite bands, usually.

Well, of course, I was talking about the casual fans, again. People who actually listen to prog would probably have a list like that, but anybody else who knows the name would probably only know those three songs, if that. And I keep on bringing up shallow fans, but I've been reading about a bunch of musicians lately (well, just Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, but still) who get so disillusioned that they play to hordes and hordes of people who don't give a shit about the music they're really creating and just want to hear the hits over and over again. Probably a big part of the reason drugs are so big with musicians (... not least of all those two).

Oh, and thanks for bringing up "Machine Messiah". I thought I hadn't heard it before, so I looked it up, and it turned out I had (several years ago), only I didn't know who made it and was convinced that it was Pink Floyd and so was never able to find it again. Until now.

Quote Originally Posted by jenny123 View Post
    Oh my god please shorten your location so it doesn't screw up the screen... It's bugging me...
    I'll get to it sometime.

You've obviously never had Kix or Raisin Bran.
    Old people cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    I much prefer Fruit Loops. I don't really care about the taste as much as a find it quite delightful to be a quer person eating the queerest of all breakfast cereals.
    Fuits Loops are pretty boss too, they hurt the roof of my mouth though.
    Last edited by Jb; 8th March 2012 at 5:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    I thought most people associated them with Tales of Topographic Oceans. Mostly as a way of criticizing prog.

I really should get more into Yes, but the vastly differing lengths on a lot of their albums make me a little apprehensive. I don't mind long or short songs (unless they are a lot longer than 10 minutes or shorter than 1 minute) but the way the songs lengths differ makes me sceptical about whether the some of the tracks are listenable outside the context of the album as a whole. I am thinking Drama or Fly from Here might be a good first Yes album to start on. (though it may be a little too different stylistically)
    Last edited by Zazie; 8th March 2012 at 4:49 AM.

I thought most people associated them with Tales of Topographic Oceans. Mostly as a way of criticizing prog.

I really should get more into Yes, but the vastly differing lengths on a lot of their albums make me a little apprehensive. I don't mind long or short songs (unless they are a lot longer than 10 minutes or shorter than 1 minute) but the way the songs lengths differ makes me sceptical about whether the some of the tracks are listenable outside the context of the album as a whole.
    When I first listened to Yes, I did not listen to the tracks in a specific order and I still enjoyed the songs. Unless you get an album with radio versions of the songs, the song order should not impede your listening.

So we can search Visitor Messages now. I found some very interesting posts about myself. I could write about ten Gladys Exclusives with the information I have now. :O

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    So we can search Visitor Messages now. I found some very interesting posts about myself. I could write about ten Gladys Exclusives with the information I have now. :O
    Do it.

I assumed the forum upgrade had to have some sort of interesting new feature.

I'm not sure whether to be flattered or creeped out that there are 200 results for my name.

I think I'll go with flattered, it's a fuzzier feeling.

Nothing much about me except a VM between Nny and Gladys about me sitting down to pee or something.
    Last edited by Jb; 8th March 2012 at 8:09 PM.

LOL My wife keeps telling me to do the same thing Jb!

So true!

That sounds just lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    I found some very interesting posts about Rebecca Black. What she's doing being mentioned in 2012 I'll never know.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I felt like VM searching my name. A big part of my brain is controlled by my ego., you know.

Apparently, I'm pretty awesome.

Why do most of these vm's mention me being a good person. /paranoia
    There's one from back in '08 where I'm called an idiot, though, I like that one.

So I've been sick for the past two days and it feels terrible. I've run through nearly two boxes of tissues and I'm about to grab a roll of toilet paper just to sustain me until I have the strength to walk to the store. FEELS FANTASTIC.

Why is it that whenever someone mentions something like VM's, page views or the like everyone has to share how many they have with everyone else?

Anyway I went to the dentist. I am dissapointed my goodybad didn't come withany dental dams. Do they not properly care about my oral hygeine?

Why is it that whenever someone mentions something like VM's, page views or the like everyone has to share how many they have with everyone else?
    I thought that everybody knew that these things always lead to dick-measuring contests.
    Last edited by Josef Stylin; 8th March 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Anyway I went to the dentist. I am dissapointed my goodybad didn't come withany dental dams. Do they not properly care about my oral hygeine?
    You get a goody bag from the dentist? I've been missing out.

Because we need to feel significant, somehow. You know, the whole e-penis comparison thing.
    Duh.

A goodybag from the dentist? What have I been missing out on all these years.

A goodybag from the dentist? What have I been missing out on all these years.
    All they give you is a cheap toothbrush, some floss, and a piece of shit toy like a bouncy ball or something.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

I used to get baloons when I was younger.

Page 425 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 3253754154214224234244254264274284294354755251425 ... LastLast