Page 13 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723631131013 ... LastLast

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Armorandonomon View Post
    From about Kindergarten through the 5th/6th grade, students are assigned basic general education classes (math, social studies/history, science, reading and english), then once they reach 6th/7th grade (it depends on where you are), a student is told which classes they HAVE to take (general education classes/core classes) which usually last the entire school year (sometimes only half a year, again depending on where you are in the country.). Along with those classes, they get to choose secondary classes such as fine arts, industrial arts like carpentry, and music, many of which are being cut out across the country because no funding.

Anyways, once a student reaches high school (which is usually grades 9-12, sometimes 10-12), they are given the option to take two tests called the SAT's and the ACT's, which are supposed to show what the student knows, but they really don't. They're not required for all colleges, but some do want you to take them. I never did, but I couldn't afford to take them, so. Anyways, every student graduates high school with a Grade Point Average (GPA) ranging from 1 to 4, and occassionally you'll see an over-achiever who got something over a 4. This just shows how much you applied yourself in high school, and the better your score, the better your chances are of getting into a higher level college/university. Everyone else just goes to community college or doesn't even bother.

Reading this over, I don't even understand it. America, what the crap.
    This is... actually pretty confusing, even to me. Let me see if I can't abridge it a little (I'm just going to list everything in the most common way they go down. As Armorandonomon said, there are exceptions that make everything sound confusing, but it really isn't):

Kindergarten-6th grade, Elementary school (ages ~5-12): general childhood education in all subjects (spelling/reading, math, history, etc.). Each year, everybody is placed in a class with ~30 other students, with one teacher for the whole class teaching everything. Grades shouldn't matter, so long as you pass.

7th and 8th grades, Middle school (ages ~12-14): each subject has a different teacher, and instead of being with the same class all day, each student sees each teacher for a fraction of each day, so each period a teacher has will have different students in it, but every student has to take the class at some point in the day. Each student does have to take specific core classes no matter what (English, math, social studies, science, and gym, generally), and fill in the remainder of their days with elective classes that they choose themselves (music, art, etc.). Grades still don't really matter, here. (it's probably redundant to explain how periods and core/elective classes work, but I'm honestly not sure if this is how UK schools do it, too)

9th-12th grades, High school (ages ~14-18): exact same as middle school, in terms of how your schedule works and core/elective classes. This is where it gets confusing, though. In order to graduate, you have to have taken enough of each type of class by the end of 12th grade. For instance, generally, you'll need to have taken English every year of high school. Also, four years of social studies, three years of math, three years of science, two years of a foreign language, one year of both art/music and physical education, and I guess you can fill up the rest with whatever you want (these year-requirements are just general, though, and will vary depending on your high school). Anywho, each year ends up being worth one credit, and you get a grade each semester (half a school year) and generally you'll need from somewhere between 21-26 credits (again, dependent on your school) total to graduate, including all the required ones. And that is the culmination of your public education experience. Going beyond is entirely optional (technically, so is graduating high school, but whatever)

College/university/higher education/whatever you want to call it is, for all intents and purposes, however, entirely separate. It's no longer part of the public schooling system, so it does get complicated, and if anyone's read this far, they should probably stop unless they really want to know for some reason. Students have to apply for college by themselves, and to decide whether or not you get in, the college will look at things like your high school coursework and GPA, extracurricular activities, and SAT/ACT scores. Grades work, of course, by points and percentage (I really hope that is how the UK does it, too). 90% or higher is an A (4.0 GPA), 80-89% is a B (3.0-3.9), 70-79% is a C (2.0-2.9), 60-69% is a D (1.0-1.9), and 59% or lower is an F (0), failing. Also, you can get, for example, a B- for 80-83, and a B+ for 87-89, and so on for each letter, but no one cares. Colleges will average out your GPA and other bullshit and use it to compare you with other students, to see who they want to admit or not. They also use the SAT or ACT to compare students, which are voluntary tests you sign up and pay to take, to give colleges more reason to deny you admission. SATs have three sections, reading, math, and writing skills, and you get 200-800 in each section, giving you a total score of 600-2400. ACTs have four sections, English, math, reading, and science, each which has a score from 2-36, and the sections are averaged out, to give you a cumulative score from 2-36. The tests are really just to compare you to other applicants.

And of course, there's all the other crap about college, like old people applying, or how colleges use all of your admission stuff to place you into programs, and graduating from college itself, but that is quite impossible to explain, since literally every college in the country will handle things differently.

And this is nowhere near abridged, and probably does the opposite of what I wanted, by confusing everything more. Even though I think it's not terribly complicated.

tl;dr- okay, so it is confusing.

Colleges will average out your GPA and other ******** and use it to compare you with other students, to see who they want to admit or not. They also use the SAT or ACT to compare students, which are voluntary tests you sign up and pay to take, to give colleges more reason to deny you admission.
    I laughed so hard at this. Still coughing from inhaling my soda.

I swear the nurse at my school is retarded...

Nurse: Oh my! We need to send you home and get you to a doctor right away!

*15 minutes later*

Nurse: Your mom didn't call back yet, so how about you go to classes for the rest of the day.

Contradictions ftw, I suppose.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

That use to happen to me alot.

My parents have made me take the ACT four times.

The science section is stupid. They give you so little time to do it that you're basically punished for analyzing the figures, which is the WHOLE test. I'm not scientifically illiterate in if I'm looking to understand the whole chart instead of looking for arbitrarily chosen segments to find answers to questions.

I swear, man.

The science section is also annoying because they try to slow you down with a ton of unnecessary information. You had to be able to pick out the important details quickly without getting bogged down.

I only took the ACT once, because it wasn't really stressed in my area. I did fine on it though.

I did take the SAT twice, though. I scored just below 2000 the first time, so I took it again to bump it up, hah.

d00med n0w

Quote Originally Posted by AudinoHunter View Post
    That's messed up. I think that there's no age limit (think), but I don't want to take the SAT this year.
    Unfortunately my parents forced me to take it every year since then, though these scores don't really count, I think.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Spoiler:- Long Quote:

And you didn't even touch block scheduling. Damn it. Now I want to know how the UK system works.

Speaking of high school, my school's football team is undefeated right now, and is going up against the other undefeated school in the region which happens to be where my father teaches. Being the football fan I am, I asked 5 of my friends to go with me to the game because going to the games with your parents or by yourself makes you look creepy or something. (I didn't invent the rules of high school socialization.) Anyways, 3 basically said "I don't give a damn about football." And the other two weren't tough enough to go because there's a chance of rain. So, another night alone on the internet it is.
    Last edited by jacobii; 15th October 2011 at 1:05 AM.

YUM YUM JIMMY JOHN'S!

My school nurse sent me back to a lesson with an unmovable hand once. Basically, on My left hand, My bone is deformed where you bend your fingers when making a fist, and It was landed on in rugby and tore the tendon on both sides and as it was my main writing hand, (which is now my right), it meant I was unable to write, and it was insanely painful. So, I went to the nurse and explained that I thought I had broken my finger, (it felt like it) and asked her to call my mum to take me to the hospital, and her response was "There is nothing wrong, as you are not crying."

So I went to my teacher and showed Him, and he told me to call my mum and that he gave me permission to go. I was probably overreacting, but, at the same time, she should have noticed a very swollen and misshapen finger, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedSuicune View Post
    The Irish language (Gaeilge).
    I never knew it was spelt like that, I always thought it was Gaelich.

I learned something today.

Whoops... I think I just slept in until 4...

Quote Originally Posted by derkins View Post
    My parents have made me take the ACT four times.

The science section is stupid. They give you so little time to do it that you're basically punished for analyzing the figures, which is the WHOLE test. I'm not scientifically illiterate in if I'm looking to understand the whole chart instead of looking for arbitrarily chosen segments to find answers to questions.

I swear, man.
    I took the ACT and the writing was the hardest part. I got a 25 average on the Science but everything else brought me down a bit and I ended up getting a 24 out of 40.

As for the SAT, didn't study for it and got 1,500 exact on it. Didn't bother taking it again even though I could have gotten a higher score.

Haven't taken the ACT. I can't wait till i can. (sarcasm)

To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe
    To bear with unbearable sorrow. To run where the brave dare not go.
    To try when your arms are too weary. To reach the unreachable star!
    This is my quest! To follow that Star! No matter how hopeless, no matter how far
    To fight for the right, without question or pause, to be willing to march into hell for a heavenly cause!
    And The world will be better for this, that one man, scorned and covered with scars still strove to his last ounce of courage.
    To reach, that unreachable star!
    I have claimed Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

I never took any of those Practice Test in High School. Mainly because it cost like $20 each time you took, then you have get to the school real early on Saturday and just didn't seem like it was really worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    I never took any of those Practice Test in High School. Mainly because it cost like $20 each time you took, then you have get to the school real early on Saturday and just didn't seem like it was really worth it.
    I hate that too. I basically wasted my entire Saturday afternoon taking a worthless test, and it wasn't even in my own high school so the drive there was a lot longer.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Ever notice how some bands sound one way in one album then sound like a completely different band in their next album?

[img]http://i42.*******.com/4rtd0g.png[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Floatzel View Post
    I never knew it was spelt like that, I always thought it was Gaelich.

I learned something today.
    Gaeilge and Gaelic are two different things. Gaeilge is the Irish word for the Irish language. Gaelic is a sport, and also a Scottish language irrc.

Australian weather is insane.

This morning I woke up to a lightning-less thunderstorm. Crazy stuff.

Anyone know a good name for a yorkie puppy?

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxWithinAParadox View Post
    what about Porky?

Jacqueline Flores.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    what about Porky?
    Or Yuppie?

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by §Suicune§ View Post
    Jacqueline Flores.
    I second this.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
    I second this.
    I third it.

Yorky ?

Page 13 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723631131013 ... LastLast