Page 1349 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 349124912991339134513461347134813491350135113521353135913991449 ... LastLast
Results 33,701 to 33,725 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Do I see a new debate topic forming?

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Do I see a new debate topic forming?
    I haven't really been paying very close attention to this conversation, but I hope so. XD
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

I'm sure there are people dumb enough that when they wake up they're suddenly not aware about cancer anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    And JB, how many people aren't already aware that cancer is a problem? I'm betting the numbers are pretty low.
    I'd argue that this is because of the huge marketing campaign that's been happening over the years. But fair enough. I personally don't think it's top priority on someones mind who isn't affected though but you point still stands.
    We're aware of the problem. And I'll always dissuade people from buying cancer charity merchandise if you aren't sure 100% of proceeds actually go to cancer research.
    So you'd rather no money go to charity because the company makes a little in the process? From what I've seen working in retail, most of the charity merch is bought on impulse (for the lack of a better word). People see the merch, notice the problem, think "hey, it'd be cool if I could help out a little"and buy it. Expecting a good amount of people to go out and find a charity that gives %100 of proceeds to charity isn't feasible.

I want to believe that we live in a world of sunshine and rainbows where everyone is always concerned about each other and is willing to donate, but we don't. I think at this point in time, for people in general, it's a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils.

Buy the merch, and let the company make a little off it.
    or
    Find charities that give total proceeds to the cause.

On paper, the second option sounds better but there simply aren't people that are actively going to do it, or at least generate more money the first option does.

I respect you feelings on it, but I don't thinks it's best choice to tell someone not to buy this product because the store makes some off it. That money then has no chance of going to charity. Now i'm sure you don't go around doing to everyone you see but still.

The problem with that line of thinking, JB, is that the companies that produce the merchandise are making far more from the purchases than they're donating. They're not just making a little bit. Most companies also don't say what charity/research organization they're going to send your money to. And almost all companies set a cap on how much money they're going to donate so once they hit that mark, you're just lining their pockets and not contributing anything to actual research.

Think Before You Pink is a great organization that focuses on breast cancer in particular, and is really good at pointing out the contradicting nature of cancer awareness merchandise. Especially when companies create products to sell for cancer research donations... that contain carcinogens.

Edit: And there are better ways to promote awareness instead of tacky t-shirts and the like. When it comes to breast cancer in particular (because it's one of the most commercialized cancers at the moment), The Scar Project is pretty amazing (and supports research without objectifying/profiting from cancer survivors/sufferers).
    Last edited by Pesky Persian; 13th November 2013 at 9:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Special place in hell for these people.
    [canned "waifu" joke about the anime-watching brony goes here]

Also, instead of trying to dissuade people from from buying cancer charity merchandise, people should use that effort to force companies to give more of the money made to research.
    Yeah, because pushing big companies around works. Always.

Actually, **** always, more like ever.

but there are tons of people that don't even know about breast cancer.
    um

where
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

i see raising awareness as getting people to think about donating. otherwise most people wouldnt even think about it. i see this kind of stuff around campus every day.

i also dont think 100% of the profits needs to go to the charity. if you wanted that then donate straight to the charity instead of finding a middle man. you're buying the merchandise because you want to wear it. so let the company that made it earn something for making it.
    Last edited by Prelude; 13th November 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dragon View Post
    i see raising awareness as getting people to think about donating. otherwise most people wouldnt even think about it. i see this kind of stuff around campus every day.

i also dont think 100% of the profits needs to go to the charity. if you wanted that then donate straight to the charity instead of finding a middle man. you're buying the merchandise because you want to wear it. so let the company that made it earn something for making it.
    I think the issue is not necessarily that they're making money, but rather they're keeping more money for themselves than they really should.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

I'm going to see my favourite group tomorrow in concert.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

Really irritated that my husband not only has to work the night before Thanksgiving doing an overnight into the holiday (so prob getting off at 8 AM on Thanksgiving), but he has to go in for an overnight the evening of Christmas. We don't share the same days off so I was looking forward to spending both holidays with him but apparently they're both going to be cut short. I could understand if it was in his job description that he has to work specific holidays but this is a retail position. Since Thanksgiving is no longer untouchable due to Black Friday, Christmas should at least remain a day where retail workers don't need to work at all and resume their normal schedules the next day.

Sorry for venting, I just needed to do it.

Some stores are even open on Thanksgiving, so some retail workers actually have to work on that day instead of being able to spend more time with their families on that day, and then of course must work Black Friday. it sucks :/

and I have to try finding a seasonal job. Fun.

I'll probably be the only person at my workplace on Thanksgiving. Darn the flying public.

Edit:

I'm seriously tempted to give my nieces and nephews "Milo and Otis" for Christmas. I won't be there to watch it.
    Last edited by LDSman; 14th November 2013 at 12:34 AM.
    Stand by for political rant that no one else really cares about.

3DS friend code: 1650 1976 9524

My FS type is Steel with Magneton, Forretress and Bronzong.

yeah my boss is going to be working 8-midnight thanksgiving day so christmas is literally the only day our store is closed now. apparently we have to do it because our competitors are doing it too. i hated black friday to begin with but now it's even worse. support retail workers and dont go shopping at all on thanksgiving.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

So glad Black Friday is barely a thing, here.

black friday last year at staples wasnt too bad tbh. i worked the 11-7 shift and we probably had 5 customers the entire day and most of my other coworkers there were the cool ones and my asm bought us food. i miss them, i think theyve all quit by now

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

The cool ones always end up leaving.

except me. im still here for some reason

Somehow, Staples doesn't strike me as a big Black Friday stop, honestly.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by The Admiral View Post
    Somehow, Staples doesn't strike me as a big Black Friday stop, honestly.
    I must buy office supplies for the whole family!!!

Everyone seems to forget that we sell electronics.

I saw an article the other day that Black Friday is phasing itself out and probably won't be a thing in the next five years. Most people are realizing how bloody stupid it is to go shopping on Thanksgiving, and also that the day after has absurdly huge crowds, so if they do shop, it's mostly online. Ultimately, it'll be less of "Cyber Monday" and more "Cyber Weekend". So thank god for that.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    That's not real, right? Please tell me someone made that up as a joke.
    If it were any other fanbase, I'd probably be skeptical.
    But with bronies...

Quotes from Bronies on 4chan : https://twitter.com/mlp_txt
    3DS FC : 2020-0494-0652 [Y]
    Friend Safari : ;662;

Quote Originally Posted by Richarizard View Post
    If it were any other fanbase, I'd probably be skeptical.
    But with bronies...

Quotes from Bronies on 4chan : https://twitter.com/mlp_txt
    Every fanbase has jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by LDSman View Post
    Every fanbase has jerks.
    the thing that worries me more is that the concept of a brony. It's basically men that have shamed and pushed out the demographic if the tv show and have effectively nulled a little kids show into a "man we're so manly for liking ponies" club as well as hypersexualizing and forcing stupid garbage memes of ponies out into the universe

but it's ok guys they're totally battling gender norms by liking ponies!!!!

Star-Lord

I haven't been here in so long that I forgot my password.

rape...a culture??? do you possibly mean rap culture?
    Hm?

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Page 1349 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 349124912991339134513461347134813491350135113521353135913991449 ... LastLast