Page 1446 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 44613461396143614421443144414451446144714481449145014561496 ... LastLast
Results 36,126 to 36,150 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
    I'm going to assume at least a fair amount of people here have heard Miyizaki's statement, that he sort of despises the anime industry because it's made up primarily of otaku, and otaku as a group are looked down on in Japan and it gives the whole art style a bad name. A lot of people were up in arms about it on Tumblr, but to be fair he has a valid point.
    Tumblr's community is, uh... the phrase I was first thinking was "fundamentally broken," but I know that's not what I want.

I don't watch much anime myself (read: like, none), though I did bite the bullet and get into snk a few months back. I thought the animation there at least was detailed and a lot of the establishing shots and combat sequences were very well animated. Plus, the characters all had pretty good arcs, if I did get a bit of darkness-induced apathy and arc fatigue as the season wound down. Still, on the whole if I had to give it a grade, I'd say it's a solid B- as far as entertainment value goes.
    Someone I know described that show as being basically a glorified zombie apocalypse show. I never could get on with it, and I flinch whenever I see anyone on Tumblr talk about its social progressiveness (i.e. Mikasa and Hanji), because most of that was done better by earlier shows. But, you know, that's a fringe series that nobody would know about.

The pokemon fandom suffers a lot from the Zelda cycle (though I think, given another gen or two, it may start being called the pokemon cycle instead...). People love the current generation, and the one a few generations back. We're far enough removed from RSE that we have this super rosy nostalgia glow around it, and we're clamoring for remakes. I nuzlocked Ruby and Emerald last year, and I can honestly say that while they were fun games, they're no more or less fun than any other game in the series. Kanto and Johto also have had enough time between instalments (and remakes, yikes) that we have a similar nostalgic glow. Everyone loves Kalos at the moment because it's the next big thing, but I predict that in a generation's time, the lack of a postgame is going to seriously hurt our opinion of it. Gen IV is currently in the "loathed" category, though you can bet that once we get RSE remakes, everyone is going to be saying how much they loved Sinnoh and want to see that one remade. And Unova is in a tricky place because people are pretty divided over it right now. Some people like you, and me, loved the whole fresh start approach and the droves of new pokemon, plus the region's aesthetics, a good storyline and music, etc. Others... I dunno, I guess right now people have latched onto the idea that introducing 150 new pokemon was a bad thing.
    You know, I've noticed one thing about most of the people I know who are wetting themselves over the possibility of an RSE remake were, when RS came out, about the same age that I was when RB came out.

Also, I have never played Platinum, but Diamond was probably the worst mainline Pokemon game I've ever played.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by The Admiral View Post
    Tumblr's community is, uh... the phrase I was first thinking was "fundamentally broken," but I know that's not what I want.
    No, that's a pretty apt description for a lot of the community. Granted, there's a lot of bloggers who are more than content to just reblog pretty pictures of things they like but the vocal minority of the social network is, well, the vocal one. And it's impossible not to come across them all the goddamn time.

Someone I know described that show as being basically a glorified zombie apocalypse show. I never could get on with it, and I flinch whenever I see anyone on Tumblr talk about its social progressiveness (i.e. Mikasa and Hanji), because most of that was done better by earlier shows. But, you know, that's a fringe series that nobody would know about.
    Yeah, just about. But it has high production values and is an interesting ontological mystery. Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to talk anyone into watching it, but those were the things that caught my attention. I thought about reading the manga to, like, continue the story, but the art style is just... bad. Yeah, that's a tactful way to put it. It's very bad. I couldn't do it.

Also, I have never played Platinum, but Diamond was probably the worst mainline Pokemon game I've ever played.
    I dunno, I liked it. I thought the pokemon had good designs, the region was large and varied, and Cyrus was an interesting villain (not as compelling as N or Ghetsis, on par with Maxie and Archie, and above the rest. Lysandre was a weaksauce knockoff of Cyrus IMO). Oh, and the musical score was really nice. I will say though, that the slow battle pacing was god awful and made nuzlocking a drag.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    As for Pokemon, I don't get the "Genwunners." My personal favorite was gen 2. But from a non-bias view, I honestly think that Gen 5 was the best. It had the most complete package out of the rest.
    Yeah. Looking back at the Pokemon, most of the designs are pretty bland and the characters aren't anything interesting (though I suppose you could make that case for a lot of gens). I'm biased because Sapphire was my first game, but Gen 3 will always be my favourite. I'd probably follow it with Gen 6 because I haven't had as much fun playing through the main game in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    I'm almost expecting to see games with a good highscore selling for more.
    Last edited by Valoo.; 10th February 2014 at 8:23 PM.

Diamond had a really slow battle battle system. The main character designs weren't too interesting either. The Pokemon themselves were really just evos of mons from earlier gens. also dat surfing speed

it was pretty bad

I'm going to assume at least a fair amount of people here have heard Miyizaki's statement, that he sort of despises the anime industry because it's made up primarily of otaku, and otaku as a group are looked down on in Japan and it gives the whole art style a bad name. A lot of people were up in arms about it on Tumblr, but to be fair he has a valid point. I don't watch much anime myself (read: like, none), though I did bite the bullet and get into snk a few months back. I thought the animation there at least was detailed and a lot of the establishing shots and combat sequences were very well animated. Plus, the characters all had pretty good arcs, if I did get a bit of darkness-induced apathy and arc fatigue as the season wound down. Still, on the whole if I had to give it a grade, I'd say it's a solid B- as far as entertainment value goes.

And to digress to my earlier point: Studio Ghibli announced they're going to make a serialized anime. If it can live up to the storytelling standards the movies the studio puts out, I'd be willing to give that one a try.
    I haven't seen much of studio Ghibli, but what I have, I have really love, namely Grave, and Totoro. And while I agree that otaku is kind of taking over.... I kind of like like otaku so.... U_U"
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

The only thing I liked about Diamond was the AI and some bits of the single player quest. Cynthia was brutal and I really liked some of the trainer team ups.

I'm a bit tempted to trade my Diamond in for Platinum, since Platinum fixes nearly all of my complaints and I kind of want to play through Sinnoh again.

I am getting bit frustrated with the series at this point because it feels like having a decent single player game is taking backseat to a whole bunch of special features I will never use. It wouldn't be a problem on it's own except they seem to be taking one step forward one step back with each new game in regards to single player.

Of course in a recent game informer issues. (brother's subscription) they mentioned that the reason for the ridiculous XP in gen 6 is to encourage you to swap out pokemon in your team more, so it looks like there's still some thought put into a single player game. (I haven't played gen 6 so I don't know where it fits in.) And that's actually a really cool feature in my book, lets me experience more of the variety of pokemon the game has to offer with less grinding in the way.
    Last edited by Zazie; 10th February 2014 at 8:45 PM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

I dunno, I liked it. I thought the pokemon had good designs, the region was large and varied, and Cyrus was an interesting villain (not as compelling as N or Ghetsis, on par with Maxie and Archie, and above the rest. Lysandre was a weaksauce knockoff of Cyrus IMO). Oh, and the musical score was really nice. I will say though, that the slow battle pacing was god awful and made nuzlocking a drag.
    My big problem with Diamond was as a game, not necessarily the characters (decent enough) or the Pokemon designs (there are some pretty legit ones, to be honest, and any issues with apparent repetition have been happening since second gen). The pacing in general was about as awful as RPGs get. Many areas were just flat-out too long, and not even that challenging. Also, from what I remember, the Elite Four was way too big of a level jump and extremely difficult as a result.

Also, Lysandre is freakin' terrible.

The usual links

The EXP ALL makes the game even more easy. But you're handicapping yourself if you turn it off. I wish Gamefreak would include difficulties already. Yeah, the game is aimed at kids but a ton of adults still play as well. I'd like a little challenge

They kinnda did in BW2, but it wasn't done very well imo.
    #AlphaSapphire
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

The EXP ALL makes the game even more easy. But you're handicapping yourself if you turn it off. I wish Gamefreak would include difficulties already. Yeah, the game is aimed at kids but a ton of adults still play as well. I'd like a little challenge
    I turned that off soon after I got it because it made things just way too easy. But then there was a big level jump around Victory Road (or maybe I was just a little underleveled?). So I turned it on for Victory Road and was about on par with the e4 when I got there.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Spock View Post
    They kinnda did in BW2, but it wasn't done very well imo.
    "Hey, on one of these games, you get easy mode and normal mode, and on the other one, you get normal mode and hard mode! If you have a friend with the other version, you can gain access to the other difficulty mode!"

I don't know who thought this was a good idea, but I hope they lost their job.

The usual links

Not to mention that you don't even get access to those until AFTER you finish the game.
    #AlphaSapphire

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    brb selling my phone
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye721 View Post
    brb selling my phone
    It's really not a bad idea.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

The pokemon fandom suffers a lot from the Zelda cycle (though I think, given another gen or two, it may start being called the pokemon cycle instead...). People love the current generation, and the one a few generations back. We're far enough removed from RSE that we have this super rosy nostalgia glow around it, and we're clamoring for remakes. I nuzlocked Ruby and Emerald last year, and I can honestly say that while they were fun games, they're no more or less fun than any other game in the series. Kanto and Johto also have had enough time between instalments (and remakes, yikes) that we have a similar nostalgic glow. Everyone loves Kalos at the moment because it's the next big thing, but I predict that in a generation's time, the lack of a postgame is going to seriously hurt our opinion of it. Gen IV is currently in the "loathed" category, though you can bet that once we get RSE remakes, everyone is going to be saying how much they loved Sinnoh and want to see that one remade. And Unova is in a tricky place because people are pretty divided over it right now. Some people like you, and me, loved the whole fresh start approach and the droves of new pokemon, plus the region's aesthetics, a good storyline and music, etc. Others... I dunno, I guess right now people have latched onto the idea that introducing 150 new pokemon was a bad thing.
    Wow, am I the only one who loves Sinnoh? And as for Unova, I don't despise it but I didn't love it. I tend to like the games with less introduced Pokemon (Johto, Sinnoh, the 2 hours I played of Kalos) because they're kinda adding on to what we have instead of trying to be their own thing.

DThe Pokemon themselves were really just evos of mons from earlier gens
    Yeah, I loved that about Sinnoh. It was like an upgrade... hmm maybe it's really just me.

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

Multiple difficulties needs to come back badly, the AI is way too easy now to the point where you can just breeze through the games with little challenge. And it needs to be available from the start.

I'm also sick of the region design being incredibly simplistic and railroading you down one path the entire game, that's really boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I will say though, that the slow battle pacing was god awful and made nuzlocking a drag.
    I'm glad Platinum fixed the problems with DP. Got my first serious attempt at a Nuzlocke done on that game too. Cynthia was actually a pretty simple battle for a Nuzlocke despite the hype she gets for being a good Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Multiple difficulties needs to come back badly, the AI is way too easy now to the point where you can just breeze through the games with little challenge. And it needs to be available from the start.
    I'm not overly upset with the game's low difficulty in and of itself, if only because it's easy to steamroll any Pokemon game without much effort (even an underleveled champion battle is typically an easy sweep with stat-up moves). Aside from B2/W2 Challenge Mode, but that's not that much better. That said, I agree that we should have multiple difficulties again, if only to see things like Scarf Chandelure and Energy Ball Joltik again. And the level boosts for easier level grinding post-game.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Geez, I should've downloaded Flappy Bird on my phone after all. Then I could turn around and sell my phone for 100k....I wonder if someone will actually be dumb enough to buy that Iphone.....You can't fix stupid.

My Friend Code for my 3ds! My friend Safari Type is Poison
    1693 1038 1902

aint nobody ****in with my clique clique clique clique clique

aint nobody fresher than my motha****in clique clique clique clique clique

as i look around they dont do it like my clique clique clique clique clique

and all these bad *****es man they want my dick

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

You are now watching the throne!
    Don't let me into my zone!
    Don't let me into my zone!
    I'm definitely in my zone zone zone zone zone...

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth.

And you call yourself a mod.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post

I'm also sick of the region design being incredibly simplistic and railroading you down one path the entire game, that's really boring.
    Yes, I'm surprised at the amount of people who dislike Sinnoh, I thought I was alone. I mean it had it's moments, mostly Cynthia and that's it.

I've stated this before but I just genuinely disliked X and Y, I love how people bash the fifth gen for it's linearity and lack of a proper post game but come on this is much worse. The game was extremely simple and easy, I felt that instead of Mega Evolutions they could have spent that time making new Pokemon or giving actual evolutions to Pokemon that actually needed them. I'm gonna be honest and say that this game felt like it was Fan Service and nothing more, Mega Evolutions, they gave Charizard a secondary dragon typing via one of it's Mega Evolutions, all thre Kanto starters are available, the fact that it's way easier to get shiny Pokemon now. I mean they made great strides in terms of the online and the graphics but that's about it. And it's essentially the plot of the Sinnoh games with slight differences. Cyrus wanted to use a Legendary Pokemon to destroy the current galaxy and make a new one. Lysandre wanted to use a Legendary Pokemon to kill everyone and destroy the planet to make a new beautiful world.

I didn't hate the game, I still played it but I feel it's the most flawed Pokemon game in the series.

i dont kiss my mom i kiss boys' mouths and *****

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post

I think it's cool that a mod listens to Big Sean lol! Yes I like certain hip hop.

My Friend Code for my 3ds! My friend Safari Type is Poison
    1693 1038 1902

Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    Yes, I'm surprised at the amount of people who dislike Sinnoh, I thought I was alone. I mean it had it's moments, mostly Cynthia and that's it.

I've stated this before but I just genuinely disliked X and Y, I love how people bash the fifth gen for it's linearity and lack of a proper post game but come on this is much worse. The game was extremely simple and easy, I felt that instead of Mega Evolutions they could have spent that time making new Pokemon or giving actual evolutions to Pokemon that actually needed them. I'm gonna be honest and say that this game felt like it was Fan Service and nothing more, Mega Evolutions, they gave Charizard a secondary dragon typing via one of it's Mega Evolutions, all thre Kanto starters are available, the fact that it's way easier to get shiny Pokemon now. I mean they made great strides in terms of the online and the graphics but that's about it. And it's essentially the plot of the Sinnoh games with slight differences. Cyrus wanted to use a Legendary Pokemon to destroy the current galaxy and make a new one. Lysandre wanted to use a Legendary Pokemon to kill everyone and destroy the planet to make a new beautiful world.

I didn't hate the game, I still played it but I feel it's the most flawed Pokemon game in the series.
    I've never heard people bash 5th gen for the lack of post game (except BW1 I guess, but BW1 was basically par for the course for a beginning of generation game).

Page 1446 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 44613461396143614421443144414451446144714481449145014561496 ... LastLast