Page 671 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 571621661667668669670671672673674675681721771 ... LastLast
Results 16,751 to 16,775 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kreis View Post
    And not a single laugh was heard.
    or a single care was given.
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by h8on-me View Post
    Nor a single care was given.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    Dunno if this was linked yet, but just throwing it out there.

http://www.feministfrequency.com/201...ng-on-youtube/
    What's your aim.

My brother got the personal soundtrack shirt from ThinkGeek

Every time he swaggers into the room, he plays Linebeck's Theme

It's actually pretty awesome

I would get one for myself if the speaker weren't so conspicuous

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    My brother got the personal soundtrack shirt from ThinkGeek

Every time he swaggers into the room, he plays Linebeck's Theme

It's actually pretty awesome

I would get one for myself if the speaker weren't so conspicuous
    There's kind of a reason why people use headphones...
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

But you can play different background music based on the situation

Headphones would defeat the purpose, because then only you would be able to hear the background music

^ Click this for good times ^

That's kind of the point.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Grammer doesn't matter on the interwebz.

I meant to rhyme.
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    That's kind of the point.
    But you're missing the awesome of having your own theme music when you make an entrance! 'Every Hero needs his own theme music!'

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Uh.

Uh.

Uhuhuhuhuhuhuh.

Women don't buy them. Those are bargin-bin games from day one. That's why there's still such a struggle (or lack thereof) to capture female gamers. That's one of the reasons female gamers are such a small demographic. Because the choices are playing patronizing garbage like Super Princess Peach and Pony Shopping Mallz or being marginalized in mainstream games to varying degrees of subtlety.

You don't want half. You want all of it.
    I agree with everything you said, and I am kind of in love with the reference to the Mad Men from a few weeks ago.
    Everyone should look at this post, and stop being an apologist for the pitfalls of the gaming industry. All because you like to play games (I do too) doesn't mean the industry is above criticism.
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

Like my sig
    Last edited by Comebhax; 15th June 2012 at 1:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus View Post
    I agree with everything you said, and I am kind of in love with the reference to the Mad Men from a few weeks ago.
    Everyone should look at this post, and stop being an apologist for the pitfalls of the gaming industry. All because you like to play games (I do too) doesn't mean the industry is above criticism.
    No I'm sorry, highlighting problems in an argument does not make one an apologist, that's flawed logic.

You can't choose to leave out the two most glaring holes in your argument and then go "oh I wasn't talking about those".

Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    No I'm sorry, highlighting problems in an argument does not make one an apologist, that's flawed logic.

You can't choose to leave out the two most glaring holes in your argument and then go "oh I wasn't talking about those".
    I didn't read most of your arguments because I don't feel like sifting through several pages. At this point I can just generally guess how men who have never really thought about this kind of stuff get defensive about the idea that their toys could possibly have any sexist elements.

I didn't read most of your arguments because I don't feel like sifting through several pages.
    My response was two posts down.

At this point I can just generally guess how men who have never really thought about this kind of stuff get defensive about the idea that their toys could possibly have any sexist elements.
    Implying that I'm in that category. It is funny how quickly pull out the "sexist!!" card.

Here's the funny thing. I despise first and third person shooters for the most part, and likewise many RPG's. Why? Because almost without exception I find the characters of both genders to be dull and many games to be little more than an exercise in box ticking. It's an appeal to the casual gamer, a bit like Michael Bay films. They don't challenge anything because they don't need to. Lazy writing is lazy writing, and the lack of imagination is prevalent in characters of both genders.

However, one can argue about how bad this is until the clouds come home. However, what is far more important (and seems to be being ignored by many) is that we do have examples where these ideals are challenged. Taking an example from the top of my head, I've always felt that the Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton series do a good job with their female characters. Anita Sarkeesian obviously agrees with me, which is why one of her videos is going to be dedicated to games where female characters buck her disliked trends.

Yet to do this is to miss the point, because her campaign and others like it are entrenched in negativity. Instead of primarily focusing on the poor ways in which women are portrayed in video games, the emphasis should be the other way round, not an afterthought. Spend the majority of your time promoting rather than criticising. It makes no sense to say "oh god the video games industry is so awful towards women but here are a few that aren't". I think she'd be far better served leading people in the "right" direction as opposed to attempting to divert them from the "wrong".
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 15th June 2012 at 1:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    What's your aim.
    Awareness.

It's true that diversity has existed in the medium far before it was even perceived as a problem; but it's just one element of other sexist things going on in the gaming culture.
    Last edited by GhostAnime; 15th June 2012 at 1:50 AM.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Because nothing is going to change if we aren't "negative," and if that makes us a bunch of feminazi b*tches, so be it. That's how progress is made, making people aware of what is wrong with structural issues.

Because nothing is going to change if we aren't "negative," and if that makes us a bunch of feminazi b*tches, so be it. That's how progress is made, making people aware of what is wrong with structural issues.
    Which she can do without having it dominate her campaign.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 15th June 2012 at 2:03 AM.

I didn't read most of your arguments because I don't feel like sifting through several pages. At this point I can just generally guess how men who have never really thought about this kind of stuff get defensive about the idea that their toys could possibly have any sexist elements.
    I'm sorry... And what about girl's toys? There are sexist elements on both sides of the fence.

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Which she can do without having it dominate her campaign.
    Just don't go to other parts of the internet talking about how you don't like her tone and think she should be more positive. Tone arguments don't go over well.

Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    I'm sorry... And what about girl's toys? There are sexist elements on both sides of the fence.
    Give some physical examples?
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Just don't go to other parts of the internet talking about how you don't like her tone and think she should be more positive. Tone arguments don't go over well.
    Should I warn you about making statements that imply that anyone who doesn't agree with you dogmatically is sexist, or would that be patronising?

No I agree with Manalu, though undoubtedly we're not trying to make the same point. Go into the girls toy aisle at a toy store, and then the boys aisle. I guarantee a lot of the girls toys are about princesses, cooking/cleaning, or shopping. Odds are also that most of them are pink or purple. Toys are extremely gendered.

Snorunt Conservationist: Ordinarily I do like you, but in this case I think you're being a major d*ck. Sorry to say it.

Barbie dolls and Easy Bake Ovens should also be aimed at boys. I mean, it's only fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Barbie dolls and Easy Bake Ovens should also be aimed at boys. I mean, it's only fair.
    There is way more to unpack in that statement than I can possibly deal with. I can't do this thread in general if people are going to just. Not. Get. It. Sorry kiddos.

Snorunt Conservationist: Ordinarily I do like you, but in this case I think you're being a major d*ck. Sorry to say it.
    Yes, because I'm the one implying that anyone not agreeing with me is sexist.

I think it's a fair enough argument. If you're going to patronise me as to how I should and shouldn't present my arguments, I think it's perfectly fair for me to patronise you that to lump any critics of your campaign into one homogenised group is a bit childish.

Page 671 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 571621661667668669670671672673674675681721771 ... LastLast