Page 671 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 571621661667668669670671672673674675681721771 ... LastLast
Results 16,751 to 16,775 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

  1. #16751
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Youtube
    Posts
    1,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreis View Post
    And not a single laugh was heard.
    or a single care was given.
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

    Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

    wouldn't Mega Arceus be

    the O-Mega Pokemon

  2. #16752
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A handful of dust
    Posts
    2,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by h8on-me View Post
    Nor a single care was given.
    ..........

  3. #16753
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    Dunno if this was linked yet, but just throwing it out there.

    http://www.feministfrequency.com/201...ng-on-youtube/
    What's your aim.

  4. #16754
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dinosaur Planet
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    My brother got the personal soundtrack shirt from ThinkGeek

    Every time he swaggers into the room, he plays Linebeck's Theme

    It's actually pretty awesome

    I would get one for myself if the speaker weren't so conspicuous

    ^ Click this for good times ^


  5. #16755
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    My brother got the personal soundtrack shirt from ThinkGeek

    Every time he swaggers into the room, he plays Linebeck's Theme

    It's actually pretty awesome

    I would get one for myself if the speaker weren't so conspicuous
    There's kind of a reason why people use headphones...
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  6. #16756
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dinosaur Planet
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    But you can play different background music based on the situation

    Headphones would defeat the purpose, because then only you would be able to hear the background music

    ^ Click this for good times ^


  7. #16757
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,918

    Default

    That's kind of the point.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  8. #16758
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Youtube
    Posts
    1,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    ..........
    Grammer doesn't matter on the interwebz.


    I meant to rhyme.
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

    Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

    wouldn't Mega Arceus be

    the O-Mega Pokemon

  9. #16759
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    That's kind of the point.
    But you're missing the awesome of having your own theme music when you make an entrance! 'Every Hero needs his own theme music!'

    So true!

  10. #16760
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Adulthood!
    Posts
    6,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Uh.

    Uh.

    Uhuhuhuhuhuhuh.

    Women don't buy them. Those are bargin-bin games from day one. That's why there's still such a struggle (or lack thereof) to capture female gamers. That's one of the reasons female gamers are such a small demographic. Because the choices are playing patronizing garbage like Super Princess Peach and Pony Shopping Mallz or being marginalized in mainstream games to varying degrees of subtlety.





    You don't want half. You want all of it.
    I agree with everything you said, and I am kind of in love with the reference to the Mad Men from a few weeks ago.
    Everyone should look at this post, and stop being an apologist for the pitfalls of the gaming industry. All because you like to play games (I do too) doesn't mean the industry is above criticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

  11. #16761
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Like my sig
    Last edited by Comebhax; 15th June 2012 at 1:31 AM.

  12. #16762
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus View Post
    I agree with everything you said, and I am kind of in love with the reference to the Mad Men from a few weeks ago.
    Everyone should look at this post, and stop being an apologist for the pitfalls of the gaming industry. All because you like to play games (I do too) doesn't mean the industry is above criticism.
    No I'm sorry, highlighting problems in an argument does not make one an apologist, that's flawed logic.

    You can't choose to leave out the two most glaring holes in your argument and then go "oh I wasn't talking about those".

  13. #16763
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Adulthood!
    Posts
    6,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    No I'm sorry, highlighting problems in an argument does not make one an apologist, that's flawed logic.

    You can't choose to leave out the two most glaring holes in your argument and then go "oh I wasn't talking about those".
    I didn't read most of your arguments because I don't feel like sifting through several pages. At this point I can just generally guess how men who have never really thought about this kind of stuff get defensive about the idea that their toys could possibly have any sexist elements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

  14. #16764
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus View Post
    I didn't read most of your arguments because I don't feel like sifting through several pages.
    My response was two posts down.

    At this point I can just generally guess how men who have never really thought about this kind of stuff get defensive about the idea that their toys could possibly have any sexist elements.
    Implying that I'm in that category. It is funny how quickly pull out the "sexist!!" card.

    Here's the funny thing. I despise first and third person shooters for the most part, and likewise many RPG's. Why? Because almost without exception I find the characters of both genders to be dull and many games to be little more than an exercise in box ticking. It's an appeal to the casual gamer, a bit like Michael Bay films. They don't challenge anything because they don't need to. Lazy writing is lazy writing, and the lack of imagination is prevalent in characters of both genders.

    However, one can argue about how bad this is until the clouds come home. However, what is far more important (and seems to be being ignored by many) is that we do have examples where these ideals are challenged. Taking an example from the top of my head, I've always felt that the Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton series do a good job with their female characters. Anita Sarkeesian obviously agrees with me, which is why one of her videos is going to be dedicated to games where female characters buck her disliked trends.

    Yet to do this is to miss the point, because her campaign and others like it are entrenched in negativity. Instead of primarily focusing on the poor ways in which women are portrayed in video games, the emphasis should be the other way round, not an afterthought. Spend the majority of your time promoting rather than criticising. It makes no sense to say "oh god the video games industry is so awful towards women but here are a few that aren't". I think she'd be far better served leading people in the "right" direction as opposed to attempting to divert them from the "wrong".
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 15th June 2012 at 1:47 AM.

  15. #16765
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    9,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    What's your aim.
    Awareness.

    It's true that diversity has existed in the medium far before it was even perceived as a problem; but it's just one element of other sexist things going on in the gaming culture.
    Last edited by GhostAnime; 15th June 2012 at 1:50 AM.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

  16. #16766
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Adulthood!
    Posts
    6,420

    Default

    Because nothing is going to change if we aren't "negative," and if that makes us a bunch of feminazi b*tches, so be it. That's how progress is made, making people aware of what is wrong with structural issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

  17. #16767
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus View Post
    Because nothing is going to change if we aren't "negative," and if that makes us a bunch of feminazi b*tches, so be it. That's how progress is made, making people aware of what is wrong with structural issues.
    Which she can do without having it dominate her campaign.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 15th June 2012 at 2:03 AM.

  18. #16768
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus View Post
    I didn't read most of your arguments because I don't feel like sifting through several pages. At this point I can just generally guess how men who have never really thought about this kind of stuff get defensive about the idea that their toys could possibly have any sexist elements.
    I'm sorry... And what about girl's toys? There are sexist elements on both sides of the fence.

    So true!

  19. #16769
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Adulthood!
    Posts
    6,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Which she can do without having it dominate her campaign.
    Just don't go to other parts of the internet talking about how you don't like her tone and think she should be more positive. Tone arguments don't go over well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

  20. #16770
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    9,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    I'm sorry... And what about girl's toys? There are sexist elements on both sides of the fence.
    Give some physical examples?
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

  21. #16771
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus View Post
    Just don't go to other parts of the internet talking about how you don't like her tone and think she should be more positive. Tone arguments don't go over well.
    Should I warn you about making statements that imply that anyone who doesn't agree with you dogmatically is sexist, or would that be patronising?

  22. #16772
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Adulthood!
    Posts
    6,420

    Default

    No I agree with Manalu, though undoubtedly we're not trying to make the same point. Go into the girls toy aisle at a toy store, and then the boys aisle. I guarantee a lot of the girls toys are about princesses, cooking/cleaning, or shopping. Odds are also that most of them are pink or purple. Toys are extremely gendered.

    Snorunt Conservationist: Ordinarily I do like you, but in this case I think you're being a major d*ck. Sorry to say it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

  23. #16773
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    Barbie dolls and Easy Bake Ovens should also be aimed at boys. I mean, it's only fair.

  24. #16774
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Adulthood!
    Posts
    6,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Barbie dolls and Easy Bake Ovens should also be aimed at boys. I mean, it's only fair.
    There is way more to unpack in that statement than I can possibly deal with. I can't do this thread in general if people are going to just. Not. Get. It. Sorry kiddos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

  25. #16775
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus View Post
    Snorunt Conservationist: Ordinarily I do like you, but in this case I think you're being a major d*ck. Sorry to say it.
    Yes, because I'm the one implying that anyone not agreeing with me is sexist.

    I think it's a fair enough argument. If you're going to patronise me as to how I should and shouldn't present my arguments, I think it's perfectly fair for me to patronise you that to lump any critics of your campaign into one homogenised group is a bit childish.

Page 671 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 571621661667668669670671672673674675681721771 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •