Page 672 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 572622662668669670671672673674675676682722772 ... LastLast
Results 16,776 to 16,800 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

I always hated that cooking stuff was supposed to be for girls. I love to cook.

Equal yet opposite point IP.

As an RPG gamer for 30+ years, I've always had a problem that this:
    http://digital-art-gallery.com/picture/8436

Provides as much protection as this:

http://digital-art-gallery.com/picture/811

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    I always hated that cooking stuff was supposed to be for girls. I love to cook.
    You're not a girl?

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    Equal yet opposite point IP.

As an RPG gamer for 30+ years, I've always had a problem that this:
    http://digital-art-gallery.com/picture/8436

Provides as much protection as this:

http://digital-art-gallery.com/picture/811
    Is the male pic supposed to be ... bad in some way?
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    It depends on how you define armor Ghost. I'll let you decide for yourself.

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    He's saying that a skimpy set of armor in a game should not provide the same protection to a character as a full set of armor like the male pic has.

Not to mention how do you know it's a male in the armor Ghost? That was a bad Freudian slip my friend! It's full body armor!

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    You're not a girl?
    Not since I pissed off Satan.

But you're missing the awesome of having your own theme music when you make an entrance! 'Every Hero needs his own theme music!'
    Yeah, but you could keep that to yourself just as easily and not get dirty looks. And some people might prefer not to hear your taste in music. (I also have a problem with cars blasting overly-loud music of all sorts (though rap seems to be the most common -- it may just be most of my neighborhoods).)

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Barbie dolls and Easy Bake Ovens should also be aimed at boys. I mean, it's only fair.
    How? Would you point out that you can pretend the Barbie is your spouse (with or without quotation marks) and set fire to your kid sister's belongings with the Easy-Bake?

(Sure, I'm being sexist here, too.)
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    Yeah, but you could keep that to yourself just as easily and not get dirty looks. And some people might prefer not to hear your taste in music. (I also have a problem with cars blasting overly-loud music of all sorts (though rap seems to be the most common -- it may just be most of my neighborhoods).)
    Sometimes it's the dirty looks that make it all worth while!

Barb of Arc:
    http://nanhawthorne.blogspot.com/201...ddle-ages.html
    Last edited by Malanu; 15th June 2012 at 2:49 AM.

So true!

IP already touched on, and appropriately avoided, this, but gendered toys are an entire additional issue. It's so nuanced, and I'm so unsure of what exactly my stance is, I won't try to bring it up in this thread. (Though plenty of people have taken a stab at it, especially recently, so give it a whirl on Google if you want.)

And while it does relate to games and game-marketing to some degree, I think we're really clouding the issue if we give it too much weight, unless we assume video-games are just games, just toys. Luckily for the sake of this discussion, and this seems to be the public consensus as well, video-games have become an additional form of media with a whole gamut of genres and content and a whole gamut of demographics. There's a point to be made to comparing to the toy aisle, but if you want to set the conversation in its proper arena, you'll compare it to books and movies. And I dare you to imagine a film or literary industry this blatantly shallow in its overall portrayal of female characters. (Put the legitimate Hollywood and Academy complaints away right now; they're lacking but nowhere near as egregiously as gaming.)

How that change comes about, I'm not sure. But it's clear that a growing number of gamers are female as the industry legitimizes itself more and more as consumable media, and it's clear that a growing number of people and taking notice of the fact this is a problem. We can wait for more women or generally intelligent people to become developers themselves, but it's insular; that's the long path. I truly think we'll see a turn-around when, and only when, acknowledgement of this problem has become widespread enough for developers to care and take notice. Maybe they don't have to now. But the more the industry grows, the more imperative it will become. It will have to move beyond this stunted growth at some point if it wants to survive.
    Last edited by Cipher; 15th June 2012 at 3:18 AM.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    *SNIP*
    How that change comes about, I'm not sure. But it's clear that a growing number of gamers are female as the industry legitimizes itself more and more as consumable media, and it's clear that a growing number of people and taking notice of the fact this is a problem. We can wait for more women or generally intelligent people to become developers themselves, but it's insular; that's the long path. I truly think we'll see a turn-around when, and only when, acknowledgement of this problem has become widespread enough for developers to care and take notice. Maybe they don't have to now. But the more the industry grows, the more imperative it will become. It will have to move beyond this stunted growth at some point if it wants to survive.
    Steps towards this have already started being taken Cipher. The Video Game Dragon Age:Origin (and DA2) have lots of role play options including Romance. The DA forums are a fairly good mix of male and female players and they are just as vocal on their favorite boy toy characters(Anders and Fenris) as the men are about Isabela Nearly every support character will be romance-able by the hero. No pairing is off limits (Except the female Golem! (DA:O), the Dog, and a dwarf!)! The dialogue actually changes for the characters involved with the Hero!

It was my daughter who told me about the game (I didn't have an Xbox/PS3 when it came out!).

So true!

ehh their cooking games are boring :-/

why would i also play a game about shopping when i can shop in real life?
    岩根雅明=♡

The best part about Kanye and Kim dating is that their odds of dying simultaneously have skyrocketed.

Cause you can't shop with Kim K in real life... not without fearing tasing!!! LOL

So true!

Cause you can't shop with Kim K in real life... not without fearing tasing!!! LOL
    oh you lol
    岩根雅明=♡

WE ARE LA ROJA!

WE ARE ESPANA!

Champions, we are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nicole~ View Post
    WE ARE LA ROJA!

WE ARE ESPANA!
    We also speak English.

... no habla en ingles
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    why would i also play a game about shopping when i can shop in real life?
    Why would you play a game about shooting stuff when you can shoot stuff in real life

Let's just get rid of any games with guns. We can just do the same thing in real life, so there's no point

^ Click this for good times ^

you know, i was kinda be sarcastic lol
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    Why would you play a game about shooting stuff when you can shoot stuff in real life

Let's just get rid of any games with guns. We can just do the same thing in real life, so there's no point
    FYI, there is no comparison between shooting the real thing and a video game. Until they add recoil simulation oh and jammed ammo feeds! Trust me there is no comparison between a video game and actually running around with a rifle, 15 lbs of ammo and a 30 lbs backpack, and a 4 lbs helmet!

So true!

If you press the R button, you can shoot a gun.

Correction you can "pretend" to shoot a gun!

So true!

Page 672 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 572622662668669670671672673674675676682722772 ... LastLast