Page 693 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 593643683689690691692693694695696697703743793 ... LastLast
Results 17,301 to 17,325 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Why would you call full stops "periods"? Silly people.

I love the fact that you used that image just FYI.

ETA: I also love you Nick for pointing out that "I raped this guy in a game!" and sh*t like that is pretty distasteful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogles View Post
    Or maybe using the word nazi like that is sort of distasteful? It's comparable to when people go "Oh man I just RAPED you". It's just not really funny or clever, and it's understandable why people don't like the use of those words to be so common and widespread.
    Grammar nazi is a pretty commonplace term

I'm sorry if I offended your heritage

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus View Post
    ETA: I also love you Nick for pointing out that "I raped this guy in a game!" and sh*t like that is pretty distasteful.
    It's literally one of the reasons why I don't play video games over Xbox live or anything. That and how people go "lol ****** I pwned you" and the gamer population I've encountered is just generally irritating in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    Grammar nazi is a pretty commonplace term

I'm sorry if I offended your heritage
    Oh I know it's commonplace. That doesn't really change anything though, people can still view it as distasteful. I mean, I personally think it is even though I don't go up in arms about it. (Also I'm French Canadian don't worry.)

Star-Lord

The chat is so enlightened lately. I love it.

Everyone is getting all socially conscious up in here.

The chat is so enlightened lately. I love it.

Everyone is getting all socially conscious up in here.
    It makes me uncomfortable. Something must be up.

It's literally one of the reasons why I don't play video games over Xbox live or anything. That and how people go "lol ****** I pwned you" and the gamer population I've encountered is just generally irritating in that sense.
    The worst are the ones who put on headphones but just talk to people sitting beside them irl. So annoying to hear them harping on about some random crap that has nothing to do with the game. I tend to just plug in the headphones and throw them under a cushion or something.

e: Togepi are surprisingly strong.
    Last edited by Grey Wind; 21st June 2012 at 12:15 AM.

Or maybe using the word nazi like that is sort of distasteful? It's comparable to when people go "Oh man I just RAPED you". It's just not really funny or clever, and it's understandable why people don't like the use of those words to be so common and widespread.
    I don't see a problem if people decide to use "nazi" or "raped" in different contexts. Then again I don't care about people's feelings on the web so it's likely that I just ignored them.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

There's nothing wrong with saying you "raped" someone is a video game.

People seriously get mad over that, I mean it's a little tacky but harmless for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post

People seriously get mad over that, I mean it's a little tacky but harmless for the most part.
    Yeah, who are those humorless oversensitive b*tches complaining about rape jokes? We all know rape is not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Branford View Post
    I don't see a problem if people decide to use "nazi" or "raped" in different contexts. Then again I don't care about people's feelings on the web so it's likely that I just ignored them.
    I'm generally jaded for the entire thing, but that's just what being on the internet did to me. However, I can understand why people would get offended by these. Nazi is one I let slide a lot, but I can't stand the word rape being used in a different context.

No, there's lots of things wrong with it. It trivializes rape in today's society, and in turn we laugh at people getting "raped', when it's actually a really serious subject which I think should be treated respectfully and properly.

Star-Lord

Because when people get raped it's not taken seriously because of society's view that it's a joke? Using rape colloquially like this makes it bad for the victim because it makes it laughable. "LOL YOU GOT RAPED" is basically going to kill any seriousness that actually occurs with a real rape.
    It's like the boy that cried wolf, but, in this case, they're boys and they're all 13 year olds, either mentally and/or physically.

If you can handle long strings of text and feminism, here are some two excellent reading sources[1][2]. I'd recommend the first one because it's seriously a great blog.

true original diva

I've come to the conclusion that I alternately love and hate this thread. Keep classy, the half of you who are responsible for the hate portion.

(Just FYI, the note about the Grammar Nazi thing was initially a joke.)
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

^ You could probably just use the ignore list for the hate portion. Simple solutions.

I'm generally jaded for the entire thing, but that's just what being on the internet did to me. However, I can understand why people would get offended by these. Nazi is one I let slide a lot, but I can't stand the word rape being used in a different context.
    The internet probably jaded me to it as well. It certainly has become more commonplace around me offline since many people of both genders (mostly non-gamers) have used both in different contexts. It's kind of like using "I'm going to kill you" just because you're mad at someone. Everyone I know is completely jaded to that phrase in particular.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Branford View Post
    The internet probably jaded me to it as well. It certainly has become more commonplace around me offline since many people of both genders (mostly non-gamers) have used both in different contexts. It's kind of like using "I'm going to kill you" just because you're mad at someone. Everyone I know is completely jaded to that phrase in particular.
    The difference is that our society doesn't take rape even half as seriously as murder, and it shows in the court system.

@Cenobitic-if it bothers you so much, just ignore list them (ignore list me if I'm part of it.) No one is obligating you to listen to people you think suck.

@Cenobitic-if it bothers you so much, just ignore list them (ignore list me if I'm part of it.) No one is obligating you to listen to people you think suck.
    How will I know that they're shitty people if I don't see what they write? Besides, it won't do anything for me; there are still links to click what they read, and I will do that.

Then again, I shouldn't give attention to certain people whom I won't name because it means that they'll get an ego. An even bigger ego.

The usual links

I've come to the conclusion that I alternately love and hate this thread. Keep classy, the half of you who are responsible for the hate portion.

(Just FYI, the note about the Grammar Nazi thing was initially a joke.)
    Do you hate me

I was always under the impression that I'm on the fence between love and hate

^ Click this for good times ^

Yeah, who are those humorless oversensitive b*tches complaining about rape jokes? We all know rape is not a big deal.
    The act of rape, is a big deal. Two 13 year olds saying that they're going to rape the other team on Call of Duty isn't.

No, there's lots of things wrong with it. It trivializes rape in today's society, and in turn we laugh at people getting "raped', when it's actually a really serious subject which I think should be treated respectfully and properly.
    I agree that rape should be treated respectfully and properly but I don't think a few "jokes" trivializes anything. I perfectly understand what someone means when they say they are going to "rape" me in a video game, that doesn't mean I turn on then news, see a rape case and laugh. Words can be a trigger for past experiences such as rape, but so can any other word in the English language.

Suppose my great grandparents were slaves, and someone said they were going to "own" me in a video game. Should I go running and get all upset? I'm not saying these things are right, but if we're going to try to banned the use the rape in joke context, then there are tons of other words that should be included along with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphiredragon929 View Post
    Because when people get raped it's not taken seriously because of society's view that it's a joke? Using rape colloquially like this makes it bad for the victim because it makes it laughable. "LOL YOU GOT RAPED" is basically going to kill any seriousness that actually occurs with a real rape.
    I'm sure raped is still taken seriously today. Regardless of the what jokes people make. It just happens so often and there's usually nothing you can do about that make people go, "again..?"

I'm sure raped is still taken seriously today. Regardless of the what jokes people make. It just happens so often and there's usually nothing you can do about that make people go, "again..?"
    [ citation needed. ]

Huh. It sure is funny.
    > links to two articles that talk about how rape isn't taken seriously in today's society because of disparaging jokes that involve the victim deserving it
    > reply with, "I'm sure it's still taken seriously today" followed by unsympathetic response about those who are raped.
    Yeah. Another person was raped tonight. Ho hum, pass the butter.

Actually, wait, no. Just by typing rape and doubt, you can see what scrutiny their claims go under and how they're always, always, seem to be some evil mastermind in for the money[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14]. Also, keep in mind for every rape that is reported, there are three that aren't.

And, because I'm such a generous person, here's two articles about why it's bad to use rape when describing a curb stomp battle in a video game. Something specifically arguing about what you're doing[1][2]. Your desensitization towards the subject just proves how you don't have a right to speak about this. It'd be like letting the Imperial Wizard talk about how racism doesn't exist.

true original diva

I do cast my lot with the folks saying rape shouldn't be used as a trashtalk expression or euphemism for videogame defeat, etc., but, like Jb#s is saying, not because I believe it challenges/diminishes the seriousness of rape in serious conversations. If our society doesn't provide the legal and social gravity rape commands, is it because Derek and Jimmy are saying they're gonna "rape" each other in Call of Duty, or are both of these things the results of something bigger and more ingrained? That immature or disrespectful people use the word in a nonliteral/hyperbolic fashion is not a problem (well, not the problem, anyway - it is still a fairly ugly way to speak and act) but a symptom.

The bigger responsibility is, I think, to change the way people think rather than the way they talk. After all, curse words are actually taboo expressions compared to the word rape and they're practically ineradicable, even for otherwise intelligent and sensitive speakers. However, it works the other way around, too: it's possible to change the way people think by first changing the way they talk. That's why I argue alongside Moogles et al.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    I do cast my lot with the folks saying rape shouldn't be used as a trashtalk expression or euphemism for videogame defeat, etc., but, like Jb#s is saying, not because I believe it challenges/diminishes the seriousness of rape in serious conversations. If our society doesn't provide the legal and social gravity rape commands, is it because Derek and Jimmy are saying they're gonna "rape" each other in Call of Duty, or are both of these things the results of something bigger and more ingrained? That immature or disrespectful people use the word in a nonliteral/hyperbolic fashion is not a problem (well, not the problem, anyway - it is still a fairly ugly way to speak and act) but a symptom.

The bigger responsibility is, I think, to change the way people think rather than the way they talk. After all, curse words are actually taboo expressions compared to the word rape and they're practically ineradicable, even for otherwise intelligent and sensitive speakers. However, it works the other way around, too: it's possible to change the way people think by first changing the way they talk. That's why I argue alongside Moogles et al.
    In regards to the underlined, I don't think it's the sole reason, but I think it contributes and perpetuates as to how society functions and often times doesn't deal with rape with the weight it deserves. So, whilst you are right, I just see these things as something that perpetuates and there being a sign that there's a bigger problem with society as a whole.

true original diva

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphiredragon929 View Post
    [ citation needed. ]

Huh. It sure is funny.
    > links to two articles that talk about how rape isn't taken seriously in today's society because of disparaging jokes that involve the victim deserving it
    > reply with, "I'm sure it's still taken seriously today" followed by unsympathetic response about those who are raped.
    Yeah. Another person was raped tonight. Ho hum, pass the butter.
    Forgive me, I didn't know that blog writers were qualified to decide that the casual attitude towards rape was caused by little 13 year olds.

Actually, wait, no. Just by typing rape and doubt, you can see what scrutiny their claims go under and how they're always, always, seem to be some evil mastermind in for the money[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14]. Also, keep in mind for every rape that is reported, there are three that aren't.
    Okay. This is saying you killed someone without any proof.

And, because I'm such a generous person, here's two articles about why it's bad to use rape when describing a curb stomp battle in a video game. Something specifically arguing about what you're doing[1][2].
    Bad is subjective. I agree that you should hold your tongue on serious personal topics; but what exactly do you want done about it? Stop people from talking because a few people might get disrespected? And I don't mean this in a rude way.

Your desensitization towards the subject just proves how you don't have a right to speak about this.
    Just because it hasn't happened to me doesn't mean I have no right to talk about it. That's like saying someone who hasn't smoke can't tell people the dangers of it.

Regardless of all that, nothing you're saying is proving that little kids saying "rape jokes" are the cause of the current attitude towards rape.

Here are my thoughts:

I do believe rape is a serious issue; however, I'm skeptical on the idea of joking about it having some kind of effect on the way society views it.

Of course, you have those people who blame the victims and whatnot; but what some 12-year-old says on CoD should be the last thing you care about. It certainly won't make a guy more or less likely the rape. That doesn't mean it should be encouraged though.

As for whether we should say it or not? I honestly feel like sense of humor is very dependent on audience. Obviously, you shouldn't say it to some random person. At the same time, I don't think it's morally wrong to joke about it. We joke about everyday things that could potentially pain someone else everyday.. I'm sure (unless you're the most politically correct person on Earth. In that case, stay away from me if you're that boring).

My only question is just where does it end? What is the criteria? If it's not safe to joke about topics that affect human beings, you pretty much leave us in a pretty boring world if we used only that as the absolute standard.

Again, I only find it morally wrong if it's said to a person you either know would be offended or not sure would be offended.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    Do you hate me

I was always under the impression that I'm on the fence between love and hate
    You're not a complete idiot, but you do stupid **** sometimes -- then again, who doesn't. You do it approx. less than others, I guess, so you're not a bad person... and you usually have good musical taste.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    I do believe rape is a serious issue; however, I'm skeptical on the idea of joking about it having some kind of effect on the way society views it.

<snip>
    I think that the joking is a symptom, not a cause.

The usual links

Forgive me, I didn't know that blog writers were qualified to decide that the casual attitude towards rape was caused by little 13 year olds.
    Forgive me, I didn't know a man was more qualified to state what is and isn't rape culture compared to people that have actually studied these things. And, it's not really a sole cause, but it is a cause that continues to perpetuate at the attitude given towards rape. These symptoms can be looked at as causes because they continue to propel the belief the rape isn't serious or should be given less weight compared to other crimes.

Okay. This is saying you killed someone without any proof.
    When a person is killed, the murder isn't put under as much scrutiny as a rape victim is. Things like, "Oh, they're promiscuous so they obviously wanted it this one encounter" aren't tossed around nor are they used as defenses. Inversely, when a person who is killed is intoxicated, there's no blaming because they were intoxicated. With rape victims it's, "She was too drunk to say no so obviously so he's not the rapist". I know I've personally never seen a murder victim being blamed for their own murder, but, you're free to add some sources about that. If you have any, that is.

Bad is subjective. I agree that you should hold your tongue on serious personal topics; but what exactly do you want done about it? Stop people from talking because a few people might get disrespected? And I don't mean this in a rude way.
    People to stop using the term rape colloquially. It would be a step in starting to combat misogynistic themes not only in gaming but for the future generation. Also, did you ever happen to think that rape victims might play video games and might not want that type of imagery or statements when they're just trying to have fun?

Just because it hasn't happened to me doesn't mean I have no right to talk about it. That's like saying someone who hasn't smoke can't tell people the dangers of it.
    That's different, and not remotely connected. Anyone can pick up and read an essay about the documented health effects of smoking. You stating that people using the term rape colloquially doesn't have any sort of damaging impacts on the attitude towards rape without providing any objective sources and using only personal testimony is a weak argument above all.

Regardless of all that, nothing you're saying is proving that little kids saying "rape jokes" are the cause of the current attitude towards rape.
    ....Did you even bother to look at my sources? Fungitivitis, the first one I linked, Jezebel, and the last two sources I provided you explain the correlation. It's both a symptom and a self-perpetuating cause. Children joking about rape perpetuates the lightness it's treated with when those children grow up and become policemen, lawyers and the like. Joking about something indicates a lack of seriousness towards something.

I invite you to read this link. It actually counters what you're stating specifically and explains it with a lot more patience and eloquence.

true original diva

so much stupid in this thread

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Page 693 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 593643683689690691692693694695696697703743793 ... LastLast