Page 12 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622621121012 ... LastLast

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Quote Originally Posted by darkgamerGS View Post
    Do English Unis make you take classes you don't need?
    As far as I know you just have lectures and whatever the other one is in the subject you chose.
    this hope is treacherous, this daydream is dangerous.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nidoking~ View Post
    Basically, GCSEs are what you leave School with, not sure what the american comterpart is, and I finished with Nine C grades (Passes) and One D (Nearly a pass, not quite, but not awful) and the course I am taking is worth 4 A-C grades on top of what I already have. If I pass it fully, I get 4 more GCSES grades, which means I can then go to college for another two years and study something else.
    This just confused me even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    At the age of 16, you take exams in all your subjects (around 10-12 usually). These are GCSE's. You get grades, great.
    After your GCSE's, you have a few choices. One of these is that you can take A-Levels, but unlike GCSE's, these aren't compulsory. This is when you take 3/4 subjects at a higher level. After two years (at the age of 18) you take exams in these. You get grades, whoopie-doo.
    Then, after your A-Levels, you can go to Uni. Et voila!
    Ahh, alright. I was under the impression that those tests were what decided what your career would be. Thanks for clearing that up, mang.

This is way America is better.

How does the American school system work anyway?

Ours is a lot like the UK, except we have the Junior Cert instead of GCSEs, and the Leaving Cert instead of A-Levels. And both are compulsory, unlike Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Sapphire Sceptile~ View Post
    How does the American school system work anyway?

Ours is a lot like the UK, except we have the Junior Cert instead of GCSEs, and the Leaving Cert instead of A-Levels. And both are compulsory, unlike Britain.
    From about Kindergarten through the 5th/6th grade, students are assigned basic general education classes (math, social studies/history, science, reading and english), then once they reach 6th/7th grade (it depends on where you are), a student is told which classes they HAVE to take (general education classes/core classes) which usually last the entire school year (sometimes only half a year, again depending on where you are in the country.). Along with those classes, they get to choose secondary classes such as fine arts, industrial arts like carpentry, and music, many of which are being cut out across the country because no funding.

Anyways, once a student reaches high school (which is usually grades 9-12, sometimes 10-12), they are given the option to take two tests called the SAT's and the ACT's, which are supposed to show what the student knows, but they really don't. They're not required for all colleges, but some do want you to take them. I never did, but I couldn't afford to take them, so. Anyways, every student graduates high school with a Grade Point Average (GPA) ranging from 1 to 4, and occassionally you'll see an over-achiever who got something over a 4. This just shows how much you applied yourself in high school, and the better your score, the better your chances are of getting into a higher level college/university. Everyone else just goes to community college or doesn't even bother.

Reading this over, I don't even understand it. America, what the crap.

I'll fix it, Armor.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Anybody know how to get rid of earache?

Do it, Prof. Help us make sense of the world.

I took those SATs or whatever they are at the beginning of this year in Dublin. I passed, so had the opportunity to do a correspondence course. I didn't do it, though I still have the option until I turn seventeen.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nidoking~ View Post
    Anybody know how to get rid of earache?
    Invite Gauguin to your house and throw stuff at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Armorandonomon View Post
    Do it, Prof. Help us make sense of the world.
    Online answer: I'll try lol.

Real life answer: I'll try.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

I took the SAT in seventh grade.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Speaking of learning...i learned my 5th grade teacher's son got murdered...now i'm depressed

To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe
    To bear with unbearable sorrow. To run where the brave dare not go.
    To try when your arms are too weary. To reach the unreachable star!
    This is my quest! To follow that Star! No matter how hopeless, no matter how far
    To fight for the right, without question or pause, to be willing to march into hell for a heavenly cause!
    And The world will be better for this, that one man, scorned and covered with scars still strove to his last ounce of courage.
    To reach, that unreachable star!
    I have claimed Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Quote Originally Posted by Money902 View Post
    I took the SAT in seventh grade.
    That's messed up. I think that there's no age limit (think), but I don't want to take the SAT this year.
    gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Armorandonomon View Post
    From about Kindergarten through the 5th/6th grade, students are assigned basic general education classes (math, social studies/history, science, reading and english), then once they reach 6th/7th grade (it depends on where you are), a student is told which classes they HAVE to take (general education classes/core classes) which usually last the entire school year (sometimes only half a year, again depending on where you are in the country.). Along with those classes, they get to choose secondary classes such as fine arts, industrial arts like carpentry, and music, many of which are being cut out across the country because no funding.

Anyways, once a student reaches high school (which is usually grades 9-12, sometimes 10-12), they are given the option to take two tests called the SAT's and the ACT's, which are supposed to show what the student knows, but they really don't. They're not required for all colleges, but some do want you to take them. I never did, but I couldn't afford to take them, so. Anyways, every student graduates high school with a Grade Point Average (GPA) ranging from 1 to 4, and occassionally you'll see an over-achiever who got something over a 4. This just shows how much you applied yourself in high school, and the better your score, the better your chances are of getting into a higher level college/university. Everyone else just goes to community college or doesn't even bother.

Reading this over, I don't even understand it. America, what the crap.
    Oh. Oh wow.
    That's actually confusing. We just have the Leaving Cert in our sixth year of secondary school to get us into college. We take as many subjects as we want (seven is the norm), and get marked on our best six. Depending on our grade, we get a number of points for each subject. Each college course has a number of points you need to get into it.

I'm in my third year now, and taking my Junior Cert at the end of the year. Eleven subjects to study for :u It doesn't make a whole lot of difference though.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedSuicune View Post
    I took those SATs or whatever they are at the beginning of this year in Dublin. I passed, so had the opportunity to do a correspondence course. I didn't do it, though I still have the option until I turn seventeen.
    I never knew you could take them in Ireland :S

I had no interest in either SAT or ACT, I did each once just because the colleges want the scores. But my actual school within the university doesn't give a crap about the scores, so I didn't really study for either.

I'm kind of a bad student unless it's something that really interests me.

Watching An Idiot Abroad~

I never knew you could take them in Ireland :S
    My school was sent information from DCU, and then some students took it in Dublin.

Yay HIGNFY!~

Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    I'm kind of a bad student unless it's something that really interests me.
    I find it hard to do well in something I don't enjoy.

Irish is a compulsory subject here, and I don't do that well in it because I hate it. I do best in History and Technology, since I like them, and I'm good enough in most of my other subjects. There's nothing I really dislike apart from Irish.

Irish is a compulsory subject here, and I don't do that well in it because I hate it. I do best in History and Technology, since I like them, and I'm good enough in most of my other subjects. There's nothing I really dislike apart from Irish.
    Out of curiosity, what do they have you do in Irish? Are they teaching you guys Irish history? Or are they trying to teach you how to speak Gaelic? Or am I totally off....?
    When routine bites hard, and ambitions are low.
    When resentment rides high, and when emotion won't grow.
    We're both changing our ways, taking different roads.

Love. Love will tear us apart. Again.

All the State Test I took was painfully easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moltanic View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do they have you do in Irish? Are they teaching you guys Irish history? Or are they trying to teach you how to speak Gaelic? Or am I totally off....?
    The Irish language (Gaeilge). Irish history is taught in History.

Quote Originally Posted by Moltanic View Post
    Because of the English takeover, the majority of the country speaks English, with a few small Irish speaking areas. To answer your original question, it's teaching us the language. Irish history is taught in, well, history.

My brother broke my Kindle.

I don't know if I should hate him or love him, because now I can get the Kindle Fire without feeling bad because I have a kindle.

---------- join ever grande city, a fun and new pokemon forum!! // tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Joker View Post
    My brother broke my Kindle.

I don't know if I should hate him or love him, because now I can get the Kindle Fire without feeling bad because I have a kindle.
    Thank him. And I am very, very jealous because my Kindle is not broken and I don't want to waste money.
    gone.

Page 12 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622621121012 ... LastLast