Page 1272 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 272117212221262126812691270127112721273127412751276128213221372 ... LastLast
Results 31,776 to 31,800 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

They're called Freedom Fries and I will fight to the death any man who dares disagree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster Trash View Post
    They're called Freedom Fries and I will fight to the death any man who dares disagree with me.
    But I don't have a penis. Would still fight you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    But I don't have a penis. Would still fight you, though.
    Oh god you can call them whatever you like please don't hit me.

Also, it's kind of telling that my only two posts on this thread so far have been on the subject of both fast food and patriotism.

And I'm really wondering what happened to this dog to make her people-aggressive. Dogs don't just turn vicious out of nowhere...
    You know... before having her I might have agreed with you. I also used to believe a dog could be aggressive only in response to the owner's actions.

But Toffee showed me ad my family how wrong we were. We certainly didn't ever mistreat her or incourage her to be violent. And yet she grew to become just that. Of course it was our fault for adopting a dog of a "difficult" breed. But that's just why certain breeds are considered dangereus in the first place. Not just because of how badly they can injure someone, but also because most of them are just genetically predisposed to show aggressive behaviour.

Unfortunately, we had to learn that the hard way.

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ludo View Post
    You know... before having her I might have agreed with you. I also used to believe a dog could be aggressive only in response to the owner's actions.

But Toffee showed me ad my family how wrong we were. We certainly didn't ever mistreat her or incourage her to be violent. And yet she grew to become just that. Of course it was our fault for adopting a dog of a "difficult" breed. But that's just why certain breeds are considered dangereus in the first place. Not just because of how badly they can injure someone, but also because most of them are just genetically predisposed to show aggressive behaviour.

Unfortunately, we had to learn that the hard way.
    There is nothing to show that this is actually true other than breed bias. Any breed can be aggressive and dogs don't just turn aggressive for no reason. And if you don't know how to properly train a dog, you should never get a dog of a "difficult" breed anyway. I'm not saying you abused her, but there may have been something going on with her psychologically that you just weren't picking up on. Perpetuating the myth that some breeds are just inherently violent is damaging. I'm just glad she's going to a rescue organization who knows how to work with the breed and can hopefully rehabilitate her.

There is nothing to show that this is actually true other than breed bias. Any breed can be aggressive and dogs don't just turn aggressive for no reason. And if you don't know how to properly train a dog, you should never get a dog of a "difficult" breed anyway. I'm not saying you abused her, but there may have been something going on with her psychologically that you just weren't picking up on. Perpetuating the myth that some breeds are just inherently violent is damaging. I'm just glad she's going to a rescue organization who knows how to work with the breed and can hopefully rehabilitate her.
    Well... look, I know where you're coming from. I know that not every single dog of a certain breed is doomed to behave in a certain way. My first dog was a dogo argentino, a breed with such a bad reputation I know it's banned in the UK. Famous for being big, white, equipped with sharp teeth and a very bad temper. Guess what? She was the sweetest creature I've ever known.

But saying that most dogs of, say, fighting breeds are -yes- genetically more predisposed to be violent isn't bias, it's fact. If they've been bred for decades (or sometimes even centuries) to make them that way, you can't say it's all just a myth. And that's not turning aggressive "with no reason", it's just that the reason is simply because they're born that way.

Now I'm not trying to justify my parents, but the reason we didn't think having a Bull Terrier was going to be a problem is because we were of the same mindset you just described. We've already tamed a "ferocious" dog before, so why should another one be a problem?
    The problem is that Our first dog was a rare gem. But this one wasn't.

Well... look, I know where you're coming from. I know that not every single dog of a certain breed is doomed to behave in a certain way. My first dog was a dogo argentino, a breed with such a bad reputation I know it's banned in the UK. Famous for being big, white, equipped with sharp teeth and a very bad temper. Guess what? She was the sweetest creature I've ever known.

But saying that most dogs of, say, fighting breeds are -yes- genetically more predisposed to be violent isn't bias, it's fact. If they've been bred for decades (or sometimes even centuries) to make them that way, you can't say it's all just a myth. And that's not turning aggressive "with no reason", it's just that the reason is simply because they're born that way.

Now I'm not trying to justify my parents, but the reason we didn't think having a Bull Terrier was going to be a problem is because we were of the same mindset you just described. We've already tamed a "ferocious" dog before, so why should another one be a problem?
    The problem is that Our first dog was a rare gem. But this one wasn't.
    Everything about this post is such bullshit, I'm not even going to dignify it with a response.

Suffice it to say you don't know anything about dog behavior and/or psychology. People with the mindset described just don't need to own dogs. Period.

Can't say I know much about dogs but it always seems like they just switch the title of the "dangerous" species every 10 years or so.

tbh I want a St. Bernard and a Newfoundland which are like some of the gentlest dogs so they say. I'd love them and hug them (because they're that big lmfao)

Star-Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Moogles View Post
    tbh I want a St. Bernard and a Newfoundland which are like some of the gentlest dogs so they say. I'd love them and hug them (because they're that big lmfao)
    http://www.wimp.com/saintbernards/
    life is
    a game

I have a Pomeranian Shih Tzu X and he is so adorable, I love him and he's really affectionate. Go little dogs!

"Well I'm walking by the red light
    Gonna find me all that I'm owed
    And I know where I'm gonna be then
    When the red light's gonna shine on me"

Everything about this post is such bullshit, I'm not even going to dignify it with a response.

Suffice it to say you don't know anything about dog behavior and/or psychology. People with the mindset described just don't need to own dogs. Period.
    Excuse me? What exactly did I say that you consider "********"?

Just to clarify, I do know that a more experienced hand could've handled my dog better than we did. Not denying that. But the very fact that some breeds of dogs need to be trained in a particular way in order to become non-threatening, is a result that an animal's tendency is, to some degree, determined by the breed.

What's so wrong about that? O.o

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    I swear to god you show me this like every single time I tell you about my dream to own a St. Bernard.

Star-Lord

Can't say I know much about dogs but it always seems like they just switch the title of the "dangerous" species every 10 years or so.

I love big dogs. =)

Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs are my favorites. But I would have to wait until I get a real house to get one since I'm 200% sure they're over the weight limits of most apartment complexes.

If you don't think this video is cute, you have no soul.

But the very fact that some breeds of dogs need to be trained in a particular way in order to become non-threatening, is a result that an animal's tendency is, to some degree, determined by the breed.
    No dog is born threatening. Yes, most breeds have similar temperaments but that's not the same as being born to be violent. Being bred to have the physical characteristics of a good fighter =/= born to be aggressive. Furthermore, dogs don't just attack with no provocation just because humans often don't understand dog body language. It's a defensive action when they feel threatened.
    Last edited by Pesky Persian; 28th September 2013 at 1:46 AM.

Little dogs are better imo.

I swear to god you show me this like every single time I tell you about my dream to own a St. Bernard.
    i don't plan on stopping any time soon
    life is
    a game

Quote Originally Posted by HeroicRein View Post
    I have a Pomeranian Shih Tzu X and he is so adorable, I love him and he's really affectionate. Go little dogs!
    Oh man, don't even get me started on little dogs. Our family kinda had one thrust on us after my grandma died, and it is basically the worst. It starts barking up a storm whenever someone even so much as looks at our house, and it leaves weird little crusty dumps everywhere because it won't go outside.

I've never held any kind of real contempt for an animal, but this one makes me come pretty close.

My dog is actually good, depends on the breed.

Thank you Shih Tzu temperament.

No dog is born threatening. Yes, most breeds have similar temperaments but that's not the same as being born to be violent. Being bred to have the physical characteristics of a good fighter =/= born to be aggressive. Furthermore, dogs don't just attack with no provocation just because humans often don't understand dog body language. It's a defensive action when they feel threatened.
    Um, aggressive is a temperament ^^"

And physical characteristics aren't the only traits that can be bred into a bloodline. Behaviour tendencies also depend on genes, and thus can be bred, just like coat colours and body dimensions. Dangereus dogs aren't considered so just because of how big or powerful their jaw is, but also how likely they are to use them to attack other dogs and/or people.

Also I know that most are "triggered" by particular situations. Mine for example, is territorial, and simply can't stand the sight of any strangers in or anywhere near our home. She's pretty harmless when we take her out for walks actually, but we always have to lock her up somewhere when we invite people over. I know it's not her fault, that it's just her nature to defend what she considers her territory, but we just can't go on living like this. We can't be afraid to have guests because our dog may scare them or hurt them. We can't live with an animal that will attack people working on our garden if she manages to slip out of control for even half a second, like it happened today.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster Trash View Post
    Oh man, don't even get me started on little dogs. Our family kinda had one thrust on us after my grandma died, and it is basically the worst. It starts barking up a storm whenever someone even so much as looks at our house, and it leaves weird little crusty dumps everywhere because it won't go outside.

I've never held any kind of real contempt for an animal, but this one makes me come pretty close.
    that sucks but my family has only ever had little dogs and they have both been chill as hell. also my dog only drops turds in the house if he is locked in, and he does it in the bathroom. he owns
    life is
    a game

Um, aggressive is a temperament ^^"
    No, it's actually not. Aggression involves intent to harm.

And physical characteristics aren't the only traits that can be bred into a bloodline. Behaviour tendencies also depend on genes, and thus can be bred, just like coat colours and body dimensions. Dangereus dogs aren't considered so just because of how big or powerful their jaw is, but also how likely they are to use them to attack other dogs and/or people.
    It's a classic nature vs. nurture argument, and just like with humans, it's more complicated than what you're presenting. A dog may just naturally be a little grumpy, they might be overly playful, they might be more reserved, they might have high energy, etc. But you have to foster aggression in them for them to actually be outwardly aggressive (I'm not even going to get into the difference between dog-aggression and people-aggression in dogs). That's why fighting dogs have to be trained (and abused) to fight. That's why police K-9 unit dogs can be trained to attack people and yet still be great family pets when they retire. These animals don't just attack for shits and gigs. Socialization, training, and understanding of the individual dog's psychology and personality are imperative for that animal to grow into a healthy, happy dog.

No, it's actually not. Aggression involves intent to harm.
    Yeah. So?

It's a classic nature vs. nurture argument, and just like with humans, it's more complicated than what you're presenting. A dog may just naturally be a little grumpy, they might be overly playful, they might be more reserved, they might have high energy, etc. But you have to foster aggression in them for them to actually be outwardly aggressive (I'm not even going to get into the difference between dog-aggression and people-aggression in dogs). That's why fighting dogs have to be trained (and abused) to fight. That's why police K-9 unit dogs can be trained to attack people and yet still be great family pets when they retire. These animals don't just attack for shits and gigs. Socialization, training, and understanding of the individual dog's psychology and personality are imperative for that animal to grow into a healthy, happy dog.
    It is, isn't it? That's probably why I'm kinda having the impression you're denying the first, like many other people do.

You're making it look like a dog has to be abused and directly instructed and stimulated in order to simply make him develop the bad habbit of biting people. Again, there are dogs like that, but many others are not. Many have the innate tendency to be overly possessive or snappy towards strangers unless they're trained not to.

And the reason for which a poor excuse for a human being may still abuse their naturally-aggressive dog before letting it fight, is simply because it would be even more "effective" that way. The fact that the poor beast was harmed in order to make it more prone to aggression doesn't automatically mean that it would've been a perfect family pet if he was raised instead in a loving home.

Also, the fact that police dogs are so inclined to learn precise obedience (which is why they can be powerful but also easily controllable) is really just another result of selective breeding. If you know anything about police dog training, you'd know that many young ones are just dismissed and put up for adoption before they're even given the chance to complete their trainig. Why? Because some dogs just aren't cut for the job. Training isn't everything. The specific skills the police force is looking for in a dog are something they'll learn to develop, but only if they're born with them to begin with.

It really would be great if every dog was born a blank page and that they all will always grow to be what we want them to. But that's just not how it is, sadly.
    Last edited by Absol Wings; 28th September 2013 at 2:56 AM.

I thought it was my internet playing up but it was the forums.
    Last edited by SilverChiko; 28th September 2013 at 4:18 AM. Reason: I missed out a word, nooooooooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    holy **** how is that even possible

take me somewhere stars are still asleep.

Two interesting reads concerning behavior/temperament among dog breeds. The conclusions of the meta-analysis, in particular numbers 4 and 7, affirm the existence of significant differences in temperament patterns among distinct breeds, which comports with contemporary behavioral neuroscience's findings that there is a significant heritability of behavioral traits (not that it should surprise anyone that artificial selection can act on behavioral/affective programs in the first place). Granted, the analysis was from 2005 and also describes a dearth of dog behavior research with a really strong and uniform methodology, but apparently the authors thought the findings were, cumulatively, valid enough. Basically, you'd be foolish to judge every individual dog by its breed, but there is still a statistical argument for breed-correlated behavioral patterns, among them aggressive (or whatever friendlier-sounding term you'd prefer) ones.

I don't think I'd ever do something quite as drastic as removing a dog's teeth; I understand them to be fairly intelligent and emotive animals, even if I think any actual field of dog psychology is about as credible as the Crane brothers do. But dogs are still quite potentially dangerous animals. A dog who, despite being in a professional trainer's program, or in the thrall of sedative medicine, still manages to attack unoffending people is dangerous enough in my book.

Flying Ludo, I'm sorry to hear your sad news. It sounds like you're very familiar with taking care of canines and know which actions are best advised in difficult situations. I trust things will turn out as well as can be hoped for your family and your soon-to-be former dog.

For my part, I'll stick to the always superior felidae family.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    For my part, I'll stick to the always superior felidae family.
    No cat can compare to the yessness that is the Siberian Husky

Page 1272 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 272117212221262126812691270127112721273127412751276128213221372 ... LastLast