Page 839 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 739789829835836837838839840841842843849889939 ... LastLast
Results 20,951 to 20,975 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

  1. #20951

    Default

    Thinking back on old toys, I had a mechanical Agumon that I loved so much...I took it to show-and-tell day everytime.

    キバゴ

  2. #20952
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    into that good night
    Posts
    10,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Actually, when you put it that way, morality's development seems to be pretty akin to evolution, but the deal with that is that it's not any kind of perfecting process; rather, it's one that changes with the world around it. But no, I don't believe that thinking morally is a waste of time, or anything quite that drastic. Just that you should bear in mind that morality is not, and cannot be, a set thing, and it's certainly not progressing to any sort of apex, in my opinion. I don't think that time gives you "improvements" to it so much as just "changes". For instance, the practice of dueling (with guns). It used to be that you could shoot a man dead in the street just because he was an asshole. Now you can't (or at least there are stern repercussions for doing so). On the plus side, you don't have people shooting each other dead in the street anymore. But on the downside, there's much less of a deterrent to being an asshole. That might be more of a one-sided and antiquated example, but I didn't want to point to anything more modern and offend somebody. =\
    The main point I think would make progress in our conversation is about your argument that differences in moral behavior only amount to changes, and not to improvements. It is unfortunate to have to rely on the dueling example as one that displays a simple change in moral behavior rather than an improvement, because what we're actually comparing are homicide and being an *******. To say that less homicide is not 'better' than more homicide because it's accompanied by more jerkery is to imply that taking someone's life and offending someone are equivalent in the moral calculus. So it is a bad example, because I know there are other moral differences in the modern field whose components being compared are not as easily differentiated in the calculus and that would probably make your point easier to illustrate. Though I'm pretty sure I already understand it. Your position appears to be the common postmodern position, one which has twoish parts: there are no objective standards by which to measure moral values, and there can be no objective standards by which to measure moral values.

    But the two values being compared in your example do give me the means to make a major point in mine - one that I don't think a better, modern example than above would counter. Morality can be objective, and, with that, progress can be identified, if you give it just one arbitrary starting point: a value that is shared by all moral actors everywhere, across time, across location, across culture, even across species (technically not all that arbitrary, is it?). That value, almost necessarily, is life. It is not even a stringent or specific starting point. The only requirement is that the moral actor, at any given time, holds the belief that "my continuing to live is valuable to me." From that meagre beginning we can generate valid objective moral standards. There may indeed be some specific moral questions these standards don't cleanly solve once and for all (many of which I'd argue are simply matters of pinning down a common definition rather than conflicting values), but that also does not translate into our being unable to decisively compare and prioritize any two moral values at all.
    Last edited by Profesco; 16th September 2012 at 8:39 AM.

    Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

  3. #20953
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Elsa's Ice Palace.
    Posts
    3,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    a Furby without fur:

    That looks... creepy. I had a pink or a purple one as a kid... Hardly play with it. I liked playing with my cousins with my trading cards better XD nya~

  4. #20954
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    Remember those Techno Dog toys.

    I loved those as a kid.

  5. #20955
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Did furbys remind anyone else of Gizmo? I always wondered what would happen if I fed one after midnight...
    Beware children and heed Uncle Lutz, lest these devious feminists obliterate you:

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    There are a few feminists out there with such a extreme view in terms of wiping out men that it matches the Nazi's movement of seeing a lower class and or being utterly genocidal.

  6. #20956
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    into that good night
    Posts
    10,438

    Default

    Sure did. These new ones are sort of giving me a little Hoothoot feel, too.

    Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

  7. #20957
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Far from human
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bel9 View Post
    Did furbys remind anyone else of Gizmo? I always wondered what would happen if I fed one after midnight...
    I always thought that was what they were supposed to be based off of.

  8. #20958
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71

    Default

    eeeek. i went driving today. i feel like such a loser for getting my permit a year later buuuut..it is so much fun. ;o;

    oh it's a love/hate romance. 'cause i could watch her dance, if i've got my boots.
    credit to Ruby Moon

  9. #20959
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    2,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    eeeek. i went driving today. i feel like such a loser for getting my permit a year later buuuut..it is so much fun. ;o;
    I got my permit a while ago, but I find driving a lot harder than I expected it to be.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

  10. #20960

    Default

    Well finally.

    Misc. has been quite boring as of late.

  11. #20961
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seelöwe View Post
    I got my permit a while ago, but I find driving a lot harder than I expected it to be.
    really? i kind of got the hang of it right away. i still have a bit of trouble slowing town while turning/signaling BUT. i'm proud of myself. the other time i went driving i almost crashed into a parked car. :S

    oh it's a love/hate romance. 'cause i could watch her dance, if i've got my boots.
    credit to Ruby Moon

  12. #20962
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    2,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    really? i kind of got the hang of it right away. i still have a bit of trouble slowing town while turning/signaling BUT. i'm proud of myself. the other time i went driving i almost crashed into a parked car. :S
    I find turning pretty hard because I don't know when to slow down and speed up while making the turn, and I have probably gotten worse because I haven't practiced in a while.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

  13. #20963
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    sunshine and rainbows land
    Posts
    4,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    The word you're thinking of is annoying, bro. "lol I masturbate" hardly falls into the disgusting category.
    That is dependent on the person reading it. I get a PM now and again with some criticism about my post content lololol

    if you have some free time, check out my new updated song, ETERNAL NIGHT ~ last.fm ~ steam

  14. #20964
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seelöwe View Post
    I find turning pretty hard because I don't know when to slow down and speed up while making the turn, and I have probably gotten worse because I haven't practiced in a while.
    yeah, it's still tricky for me (being a beginner and all). my uncle who was teaching me to drive said i did pretty good though, so that leaves me hopeful.

    oh it's a love/hate romance. 'cause i could watch her dance, if i've got my boots.
    credit to Ruby Moon

  15. #20965

    Default

    I am so ambivalent towards your signature, Kreis.

    You scheming mastermind, you.
    Last edited by The Eleventh; 16th September 2012 at 8:16 PM.

  16. #20966
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    eeeek. i went driving today. i feel like such a loser for getting my permit a year later buuuut..it is so much fun. ;o;
    I didn't get my license until I was 21. No shame.



  17. #20967
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    It's raining like Diana Ross and the Supremes outside.

  18. #20968
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    ehhhhhhhh
    Posts
    805

    Default

    How the hell did this pile of shit get to seven pages? The last time we had a thread that discussed women as if they were another species, it was closed within four posts.
    How did the mathematician solve his constipation problem?
    He worked it out with a pencil.

  19. #20969
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    add me on kik winkface
    Posts
    2,310

    Default

    Well I learned some new things about life in that thread

  20. #20970
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,363

    Default

    Probably because only 1 person thought to report the thread, while the rest decided to bicker.


    And because most of misc. mods were busy today.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

    pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

  21. #20971
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    into that good night
    Posts
    10,438

    Default

    Hey everybody just shut up for a minute.

    There are boobs in Jb's sig.

    Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

  22. #20972
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    I didn't get my license until I was 21. No shame.
    Haha. I'm 23 and being behind a wheel scares me so much I am pretty much incapable of passing any driving test.

  23. #20973
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Hey everybody just shut up for a minute.

    There are boobs in Jb's sig.
    <3

  24. #20974
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Creeping on your boyfriend
    Posts
    1,752

    Default

    Being behind the wheel doesn't scare me, but I hate grabbing gas because whenever I go to the station there's a huge lineup and then I feel really stupid while waiting. I got over it pretty quickly but I still try to squeeze as much gas as I can.

    Star-Lord

  25. #20975
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,595

    Default

    I don't even want to think about gas right now.. I need to fill up but it's so damn expensive. I'm putting it off as long as I can.



Page 839 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 739789829835836837838839840841842843849889939 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •