Page 839 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 739789829835836837838839840841842843849889939 ... LastLast
Results 20,951 to 20,975 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Thinking back on old toys, I had a mechanical Agumon that I loved so much...I took it to show-and-tell day everytime.

キバゴ

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Actually, when you put it that way, morality's development seems to be pretty akin to evolution, but the deal with that is that it's not any kind of perfecting process; rather, it's one that changes with the world around it. But no, I don't believe that thinking morally is a waste of time, or anything quite that drastic. Just that you should bear in mind that morality is not, and cannot be, a set thing, and it's certainly not progressing to any sort of apex, in my opinion. I don't think that time gives you "improvements" to it so much as just "changes". For instance, the practice of dueling (with guns). It used to be that you could shoot a man dead in the street just because he was an asshole. Now you can't (or at least there are stern repercussions for doing so). On the plus side, you don't have people shooting each other dead in the street anymore. But on the downside, there's much less of a deterrent to being an asshole. That might be more of a one-sided and antiquated example, but I didn't want to point to anything more modern and offend somebody. =\
    The main point I think would make progress in our conversation is about your argument that differences in moral behavior only amount to changes, and not to improvements. It is unfortunate to have to rely on the dueling example as one that displays a simple change in moral behavior rather than an improvement, because what we're actually comparing are homicide and being an *******. To say that less homicide is not 'better' than more homicide because it's accompanied by more jerkery is to imply that taking someone's life and offending someone are equivalent in the moral calculus. So it is a bad example, because I know there are other moral differences in the modern field whose components being compared are not as easily differentiated in the calculus and that would probably make your point easier to illustrate. Though I'm pretty sure I already understand it. Your position appears to be the common postmodern position, one which has twoish parts: there are no objective standards by which to measure moral values, and there can be no objective standards by which to measure moral values.

But the two values being compared in your example do give me the means to make a major point in mine - one that I don't think a better, modern example than above would counter. Morality can be objective, and, with that, progress can be identified, if you give it just one arbitrary starting point: a value that is shared by all moral actors everywhere, across time, across location, across culture, even across species (technically not all that arbitrary, is it?). That value, almost necessarily, is life. It is not even a stringent or specific starting point. The only requirement is that the moral actor, at any given time, holds the belief that "my continuing to live is valuable to me." From that meagre beginning we can generate valid objective moral standards. There may indeed be some specific moral questions these standards don't cleanly solve once and for all (many of which I'd argue are simply matters of pinning down a common definition rather than conflicting values), but that also does not translate into our being unable to decisively compare and prioritize any two moral values at all.
    Last edited by Profesco; 16th September 2012 at 8:39 AM.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    a Furby without fur:

That looks... creepy. I had a pink or a purple one as a kid... Hardly play with it. I liked playing with my cousins with my trading cards better XD nya~

Remember those Techno Dog toys.

I loved those as a kid.

Did furbys remind anyone else of Gizmo? I always wondered what would happen if I fed one after midnight...
    Beware children and heed Uncle Lutz, lest these devious feminists obliterate you:

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    There are a few feminists out there with such a extreme view in terms of wiping out men that it matches the Nazi's movement of seeing a lower class and or being utterly genocidal.

Sure did. These new ones are sort of giving me a little Hoothoot feel, too.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by bel9 View Post
    Did furbys remind anyone else of Gizmo? I always wondered what would happen if I fed one after midnight...
    I always thought that was what they were supposed to be based off of.

eeeek. i went driving today. i feel like such a loser for getting my permit a year later buuuut..it is so much fun. ;o;

oh it's a love/hate romance. 'cause i could watch her dance, if i've got my boots.
    credit to Ruby Moon

Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    eeeek. i went driving today. i feel like such a loser for getting my permit a year later buuuut..it is so much fun. ;o;
    I got my permit a while ago, but I find driving a lot harder than I expected it to be.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Well finally.

Misc. has been quite boring as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Seelöwe View Post
    I got my permit a while ago, but I find driving a lot harder than I expected it to be.
    really? i kind of got the hang of it right away. i still have a bit of trouble slowing town while turning/signaling BUT. i'm proud of myself. the other time i went driving i almost crashed into a parked car. :S

oh it's a love/hate romance. 'cause i could watch her dance, if i've got my boots.
    credit to Ruby Moon

really? i kind of got the hang of it right away. i still have a bit of trouble slowing town while turning/signaling BUT. i'm proud of myself. the other time i went driving i almost crashed into a parked car. :S
    I find turning pretty hard because I don't know when to slow down and speed up while making the turn, and I have probably gotten worse because I haven't practiced in a while.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    The word you're thinking of is annoying, bro. "lol I masturbate" hardly falls into the disgusting category.
    That is dependent on the person reading it. I get a PM now and again with some criticism about my post content lololol

if you have some free time, check out my new updated song, ETERNAL NIGHT ~ last.fm ~ steam

Quote Originally Posted by Seelöwe View Post
    I find turning pretty hard because I don't know when to slow down and speed up while making the turn, and I have probably gotten worse because I haven't practiced in a while.
    yeah, it's still tricky for me (being a beginner and all). my uncle who was teaching me to drive said i did pretty good though, so that leaves me hopeful.

credit to Ruby Moon

I am so ambivalent towards your signature, Kreis.

You scheming mastermind, you.
    Last edited by The Eleventh; 16th September 2012 at 8:16 PM.

I didn't get my license until I was 21. No shame.

It's raining like Diana Ross and the Supremes outside.

How the hell did this pile of shit get to seven pages? The last time we had a thread that discussed women as if they were another species, it was closed within four posts.
    How did the mathematician solve his constipation problem?
    He worked it out with a pencil.

Well I learned some new things about life in that thread

Probably because only 1 person thought to report the thread, while the rest decided to bicker.

And because most of misc. mods were busy today.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

Hey everybody just shut up for a minute.

There are boobs in Jb's sig.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    I didn't get my license until I was 21. No shame.
    Haha. I'm 23 and being behind a wheel scares me so much I am pretty much incapable of passing any driving test.

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Hey everybody just shut up for a minute.

There are boobs in Jb's sig.
    <3

Being behind the wheel doesn't scare me, but I hate grabbing gas because whenever I go to the station there's a huge lineup and then I feel really stupid while waiting. I got over it pretty quickly but I still try to squeeze as much gas as I can.

Star-Lord

I don't even want to think about gas right now.. I need to fill up but it's so damn expensive. I'm putting it off as long as I can.

Page 839 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 739789829835836837838839840841842843849889939 ... LastLast