Page 901 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 8018518918978988999009019029039049059119511001 ... LastLast
Results 22,501 to 22,525 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I haven't seen anything like that on my campus, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did exist. Sounds like a secret society. Be careful.
    It can't be that secret if they have flyers advertising, but I will be sure to keep that in mind.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Don't drink any Kool-Aid.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Don't listen to him. Drink as much as you want.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Don't drink any Kool-Aid.
    Don't tell me what to do!
    YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreis View Post
    Don't listen to him. Drink as much as you want.
    Will do! With pleasure, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_SGG View Post
    *cough cough free healthcare in canada cough cough*
    yes me as a tourist would get full medical benefits visiting canada ?_? also we have free healthcare in australia so that is not really a brilliant concept to me
    life is
    a game

I'm still wondering why we can't have that here in America. Except that we're dummies. We just sit there and stare longingly at Canada and their beautiful healthcare while we sit down here in 'Murrica and do everything we can to not do that. Are we just STUPID down here? Or are we afraid we'll turn into a country of liberals, atheists, gays, hockey and Tim Hortons if we do what Canada's doing in one respect?
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I'm still wondering why we can't have that here in America. Except that we're dummies. We just sit there and stare longingly at Canada and their beautiful healthcare while we sit down here in 'Murrica and do everything we can to not do that. Are we just STUPID down here? Or are we afraid we'll turn into a country of liberals, atheists, gays, hockey and Tim Hortons if we do what Canada's doing in one respect?
    The way I understand it, unless I'm wrong, is that because of free healthcare, people have larger taxes (which will invariably upset a lot of people) and can't immediately go to the ER or hospital, but ahve to wait a while.

The Kool-Aid is certainly not dangerous, and it most definitely won't kill you in the most fabulous, hallucinogenic way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    The way I understand it, unless I'm wrong, is that because of free healthcare, people have larger taxes (which will invariably upset a lot of people) and can't immediately go to the ER or hospital, but ahve to wait a while.
    The payment issue is not completely impossible to circumvent. To be polite, there's a lot of lard in the American budget. I'm still gonna go with the "afraid we'll turn into a country of liberals, atheists, gays, hockey and Tim Hortons" one.

The usual links

nd can't immediately go to the ER or hospital, but ahve to wait a while.
    It is a well documented fact that you have to wait at least four days while sitting in the ER before you can be seen.
    Also, they don't want you to go there for severe things such as strep throat, but you can totally go there if you've twisted your ankle. You also get to pay about five times as much compared to a minute clinic or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    My area was largely untouched. We got very heavy winds and a smattering of rain, and lost power for about a day, but otherwise no tragedies. I hear it was much worse in the city and tri-state area. I hope everyone is safe and well.
    I'm glad to hear this, Proffy. Still, it sucks (and is kind of surprising to me) that people did die in this storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Branford View Post
    Didn't need them. I lost no power.
    Well, hang on to them anyway. You never know. They could save your life one day.

Also, wtf is a "Snowlax"? That sounds like a rumor that would have been floating around in the days of Red/Blue, but even more ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotwapal View Post
    You have to visit the Southern portions seriously

Probably the best part of America is the south in my opinion
    Have you ever left the South? Honest question. I agree that the south is pretty cool, but not the best by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    I went to the hospital yesterday and was told that barring some miracle I now have a condition which will radically affect my ability to partake in one of my favourite pastimes for the rest of my life, alongside other things.

Sorry to be a whiner, indeed, I don't even seek sympathy so much as a bit of venting. It's incredibly frustrating.
    That sucks and I'm sorry to hear this. Hopefully your doctor is just anticipating a worst-case scenario or something.

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    lol

just gonna stick to the western states
    Too bad you'll miss out on the East coast. Honestly, the only states in the US I would say people really should see are New York, Pennsylvania, and maybe Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    Come to the Midwest, we have.... corn.... You know what? Never mind, we're boring.
    Shh, shh, the Midwest is great, you just have to have an open-enough mind to appreciate it.

One of my friends who is living in Canada at the moment recently posted about how she had to wait for seven hours to have a minor infection evaluated, so I'm thinking it may have something to do with that, as she said it's making her take this election "very seriously". Unrelated-but-not-really question: have you ever had to stop by the DMV, or deal with the IRS, etc.?

This is just what I've heard from other people, though. I'm personally voting for Romney because I'm afraid I'll get poisoned into a gay atheist if I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    One of my friends who is living in Canada at the moment recently posted about how she had to wait for seven hours to have a minor infection evaluated, so I'm thinking it may have something to do with that, as she said it's making her take this election "very seriously". Unrelated-but-not-really question: have you ever had to stop by the DMV, or deal with the IRS, etc.?

This is just what I've heard from other people, though. I'm personally voting for Romney because I'm afraid I'll get poisoned into a gay atheist if I don't.
    Never with the IRS, but definitely the DMV. Fair enough, as being at the DMV is not very fun and makes me want to hurt people, making it not very conducive to have something quite like that for our health care. I mean, if it takes four hours to get up to the booth to start doing the state ID stuff, then I have to endure about half an hour of "the picture didn't come out right" (look, I know I look ugly, you don't have to rub it in), I can't imagine it being much fun waiting for whatever ails me. Then I have to get back in another ten hour line to get my vanity plates...

The usual links

I must be lucky with my DMV. The last time I went there to pay for a title transfer I waited like 5 minutes. Same with DEQ, the last two times I took my car through it took 5 minutes at most. It used to be bad though, when I got my license it took ages, and when I took my very first car through DEQ it took like 45 minutes of waiting in line.

Course right now, my local DMV office caught fire and is undergoing repairs, so I hope I don't need to go anytime soon because the next closest one is like 30 minutes away :I
    If you want to fight me on Smash Bros or race me on Mario Kart 8 send me a PM or VM.

Obviously you need to see this
    I forgot to address this earlier, but California and half of Michigan are disparaging either Colorado or Wyoming, which is simply wrong and unacceptable. Whoever drew that piece of trash needs to lance their throat with the pen they drew that with.

Never with the IRS, but definitely the DMV. Fair enough, as being at the DMV is not very fun and makes me want to hurt people, making it not very conducive to have something quite like that for our health care. I mean, if it takes four hours to get up to the booth to start doing the state ID stuff, then I have to endure about half an hour of "the picture didn't come out right" (look, I know I look ugly, you don't have to rub it in), I can't imagine it being much fun waiting for whatever ails me. Then I have to get back in another ten hour line to get my vanity plates...
    Glad to see you persuade yourself. You're right, of course. (not to mention, most people in the healthcare industry that I've spoken to hate Medicaid for a plethora of reasons, none of which would be helped by massively expanding it)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I must be lucky with my DMV. The last time I went there to pay for a title transfer I waited like 5 minutes. Same with DEQ, the last two times I took my car through it took 5 minutes at most. It used to be bad though, when I got my license it took ages, and when I took my very first car through DEQ it took like 45 minutes of waiting in line.

Course right now, my local DMV office caught fire and is undergoing repairs, so I hope I don't need to go anytime soon because the next closest one is like 30 minutes away :I
    Going by what most people say, and most of my experiences, that's very lucky. When I got my license, though, I went to a DMV in a small-ish mountain town, and there was nobody in there at all, and only one employee, who went with me on my test. When I got back from my test 20-30 minutes later, there was one person waiting. It was awesome. Of course, this experience meant I was in for a surprise when I went to get my license renewed, because I had to wait 6-7 hours for an eye test and a picture. And I grabbed a number I found on the ground that was a couple dozen ahead of the one I actually got. It's just a good thing they don't force you to wait inside or anything.

And what's DEQ? Emissions testing or something?

And what's DEQ? Emissions testing or something?
    Yes.
    If you want to fight me on Smash Bros or race me on Mario Kart 8 send me a PM or VM.

I forgot to address this earlier, but California and half of Michigan are disparaging either Colorado or Wyoming, which is simply wrong and unacceptable. Whoever drew that piece of trash needs to lance their throat with the pen they drew that with.
    As one who was born and raised there and now resides in Colorado, I can't say I've ever heard of this. Might I inquire as to what makes you think this?

C'mon now. I don't think you guys are dummies. I love visiting America; there's always exciting stuff going on. I've recently been to Stowe and it was just gorgeous. It was so beautiful and...uh, I won't bore you with all the details. But, c'mon, what's so scary about us hosers? And Tim Hortons? That's absurd!...

"Ooh! Socialized medicine. Nothing put more fear in us than the thought of that." - Sicko

Seriously, Sicko, directed by Michael Moore, is an amazing documentary that compares the US health care system with other countries with universal health care. I definitely recommend it, although some stories got me teared up. :S

And, speaking of documentaries, I've just seen Revenge of the Electric Car, which is pretty good as well.

To be polite, there's a lot of lard in the American budget.
    What do you mean by that?
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

If I ever head over to America (and believe me, I want to), I've always had my eyes on the northern part of the Eastern Seaboard. After that though, I'd like to explore much of the South/Midwest. Not the cities so much, just "middle America" and the like.

If I ever head over to America (and believe me, I want to), I've always had my eyes on the northern part of the Eastern Seaboard. After that though, I'd like to explore much of the South/Midwest. Not the cities so much, just "middle America" and the like.
    nonono

don't ever come to the Midwest

seriously

as someone who's lived on the West Coast, the South, and currently lives in the Midwest (and lived in several different states in the Midwest), and while I can't speak for the East Coast, I can tell you there is absolutely nothing exciting about the Midwest

how could you visit merica and not go to California anyway
    Last edited by Magnegross; 2nd November 2012 at 3:50 PM.

Also, wtf is a "Snowlax"? That sounds like a rumor that would have been floating around in the days of Red/Blue, but even more ridiculous.
    One of the good smiley here.

What exactly is "middle America"? I always hear about it but I've never actually bothered to learn what it is. I assume suburbia which is boring as hell.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Magnegross View Post
    nonono

don't ever come to the Midwest

seriously

as someone who's lived on the West Coast, the South, and currently lives in the Midwest (and lived in several different states in the Midwest), and while I can't speak for the East Coast, I can tell you there is absolutely nothing exciting about the Midwest

how could you visit merica and not go to California anyway
    It kind of depends on where you go and what you like to do. Most of the middle to northern parts of the Midwest are hella boring farmland until you hit the cities. Southern Missouri and parts of southern Illinois are kind of pretty when you hit the bluffs. If you like camping and hiking, the Ozarks and Shawnee National Forest can be fun. Other than that, yeah, we're boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    It kind of depends on where you go and what you like to do. Most of the middle to northern parts of the Midwest are hella boring farmland until you hit the cities. Southern Missouri and parts of southern Illinois are kind of pretty when you hit the bluffs. If you like camping and hiking, the Ozarks and Shawnee National Forest can be fun. Other than that, yeah, we're boring.
    I used to live in Green Bay, and I'm now in Crystal Lake, IL, which is about 40ish miles Northwest of Chicago, and while I lived here as a child, I know now that there's really nothing to do. No place for Magic tournaments, only a small card shop (without binders, ick). No place to hang out and do stuff. I mean, like people have house parties and that's cool and all, but there's nothing here that distinguishes the community from the rest of Illinois, and it's really boring.

Green Bay, however, is a lot larger than I live now, and it was great. If you lived on the side without the hicks (no offense), there were many things to do. If you wanted to do something, there was a place for it. lots of places to get drugs too
    My point is, the best places in the Midwest are the large cities where the community is vibrant and diverse. I've lived in Kansas City, too, and it's the same thing there. I suppose the same concept could be applied to the rest of the US, too, though.
    Last edited by Magnegross; 2nd November 2012 at 4:51 PM.

California is really quite diverse and really a great place to be, for the most part. We eneded up moving to Colorado because we were in a bad neighborhood and carjacked twice, once at gunpoint, so we ended up coming here. Colorado is really pretty and mountainous, but I despise snow, so it's bittersweet.

The general population of America screams in fear and agony when even the slightest murmur of the words "tax" and "raise" (or variant of) are placed in the same sentence together.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Page 901 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 8018518918978988999009019029039049059119511001 ... LastLast