Page 914 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 8148649049109119129139149159169179189249641014 ... LastLast
Results 22,826 to 22,850 of 37766

Thread: rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurus View Post
    Because you said that, I'm going to find out where you work and specifically request that you fix the new German beater I buy.
    Thanks in advance.
    I'm pretty sure we don't repair beaters. Company policy, sorry.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2d164cz.png[/IMG]

pock pock pock

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    So is DSM-5 going to be stricter in regards to diagnoses? (for all conditions) Your post is a little unclear. I was thinking about going and getting screened for mental health issues, and am thinking I should wait until DSM-5 goes into effect. (coincidentally one of the things I want to check for is ADHD)

But if DSM-5 means they are going to be more likely to want to pump me full of drugs, I probably want to get it right away.
    Sorry! No, looser with diagnoses. The new DSM makes diagnosing psychiatric disorders much more easy/likely, including the controversially over-medicated ones like ADHD. One way in which things have changed would be, for example, where the DSM-IV might have required three specific symptoms to be observed within a two-month period, the DSM-5 changes to requiring two specific symptoms observed within a six-month period. (There are more criteria than just this kind, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    Not that I think people should be misdiagnosed, but hopefully this doesn't lead to a severe increase in medication.

Every version has its ups and downs. Didn't one of the very early versions have transgender-ism as a psychological disorder?
    Chances are more medication will be distributed as a result of the changes in diagnostic criteria.

And yes, there have been a lot of changes. I didn't know that transgender-ism was listed as a disorder, but I have read about the movement to change sexual and gender identity disorders to a category called ego-dystonic disorders, where one of the criteria for calling any non-standard identity a disorder is whether the individual experiences any stress or anxiety purely because of the mismatch between their biological make-up and their psychological make-up (presumably not just as a result of, say, social norms that push them one way or the other).

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    Many of these studies are kind of back-and-forth. There are others that suggest it might actually increase someone's risk of certain cancers (even if it's not smoked). There really isn't a lot of really definitive research on it.

THC is used in cancer treatment, mostly to increase appetite and a bit for pain management because of its relaxation effects but there's Marinol for that.
    Re-quoting this because it is the sort of thing too often ignored in relevant discussions. It bears repeating and ought to be part of what people call being educated about this stuff.

Somewhat related: Jon Stewart mentions two states legalize gay marriage and the audience is silent; he mentions two states legalize marijuana and the roof is blown off by the deafening cheer. Cenobitic is not exactly far off the mark with his "darn college students..." remark.

I guess I forgot that females are magical creatures. We can retract our vulvas at will to ward off sexual predators.

My bad.
    Well, yeah. You wimmin have natural mechanisms to just shut that whole thing down when you're being preyed upon.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    or can they?
    They can thanks to modern medicine. But it doesn't actually prevent rape by any means. (unless you are talking about technical legal definitions, but **** those. Rape is Rape no matter what legal **** you try to use to muddy it.)
    Last edited by Zazie; 8th November 2012 at 5:25 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Man, this thread has been moving at a clip. There should be a thread in the debate forum for arguments that start here, so that we can just move them there and carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Branford View Post
    I voted for a minor candidate in one of the local races and he ended up getting 2% of the vote. It does suck that more people don't vote for them. Sill, the electoral college should be abolished. I want more pandering towards me and not the random people in Iowa.
    Good job, maybe. I actually voted for a libertarian senator two years ago, because both the democratic and republican nominees were terrible (both people they beat in the primaries were excellent, though. The two awful candidates making it to the ballot is the worst political happening I've seen in my life), but he didn't wind up with nearly 2%. Some people are just plain dumb, apparently.

I don't think this is the place to go into it, but the electoral college should stay, imo. Iowa could stand to be abolished, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Yes, the DSM-5 is the updated and revised version of the DSM-IV. And one of the issues with changes in it, in fact, is the reduction in stringency for diagnostic criteria of ADHD. Age brackets, duration, and I believe some of the symptom requirements have all been made more lax, enabling more diagnoses and accordingly easier justification for medicating the patient.
    That sounds utterly depressing. I thought psychiatry was trying to get people to take it more seriously, so what are they thinking?

So is DSM-5 going to be stricter in regards to diagnoses? (for all conditions) Your post is a little unclear. I was thinking about going and getting screened for mental health issues, and am thinking I should wait until DSM-5 goes into effect. (coincidentally one of the things I want to check for is ADHD)
    It's the opposite of strict, you're more likely to be diagnosed and subsequently drugged under the new conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorAndonomon View Post
    Thankfully most of the people at WalMart don't care that it's expired and just care that I'm 21, so I can still get wine coolers. Yaaay.
    Wait a minute, this scenario sounds familiar... OH MY GOD, OBAMA IS TURNING AMERICA INTO EUROPE!

Many of these studies are kind of back-and-forth. There are others that suggest it might actually increase someone's risk of certain cancers (even if it's not smoked). There really isn't a lot of really definitive research on it.

THC is used in cancer treatment, mostly to increase appetite and a bit for pain management because of its relaxation effects but there's Marinol for that.
    I'm glad that at least one person knows what's up. The worst thing about legalizing marijuana, imo, is that it broadcasts marijuana as not being a health risk, and some people are silly/misinformed enough to think that it actually has significant medical value. I also very much doubt that it's less bad than you for tobacco, keeping in mind that many of cigarettes' awful effects are a result of additives from the companies that make them.

Quote Originally Posted by eBay Huckster View Post
    but it's already happening in colorado

e: also this is the greatest thread title in sppf history
    I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that's not Colorado. YOU'RE BEING LIED TO BY THE MAN, MAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Chances are more medication will be distributed as a result of the changes in diagnostic criteria.
    If it's done right, I guess I could back it. Not, like, giving kids meds for adult disorders and not even rated for aDHD or any of its symptoms.

And yes, there have been a lot of changes. I didn't know that transgender-ism was listed as a disorder, but I have read about the movement to change sexual and gender identity disorders to a category called ego-dystonic disorders, where one of the criteria for calling any non-standard identity a disorder is whether the individual experiences any stress or anxiety purely because of the mismatch between their biological make-up and their psychological make-up (presumably not just as a result of, say, social norms that push them one way or the other).
    Could be an interesting category, but I'm also thinking more along the lines of "otherkin"-type things, where someone thinks they're, for instance, a cat, or Dr. Frank-n-Furter.

Well, yeah. You wimmin have natural mechanisms to just shut that whole thing down when you're being preyed upon.
    Pyrokinesis.

They can thanks to modern medicine. But it doesn't actually prevent rape by any means. (unless you are talking about technical legal definitions, but **** those. Rape is Rape no matter what legal **** you try to use to muddy it.)
    Even without modern medicine, but I suppose you also mean "not mostly skeletonized."

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Man, this thread has been moving at a clip. There should be a thread in the debate forum for arguments that start here, so that we can just move them there and carry on.
    I thought there already were at least two of them. Wait, what separates any of the threads in the Debates forum anyway?

/rimshot goes here

/no, no, rimshot, not rimfire
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Pyrokinesis.
    What if the rapist has cryokinesis?

Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    What if the rapist has cryokinesis?
    Smokescreen? Okay, more like steam-screen, but same principle.

The usual links

I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that's not Colorado. YOU'RE BEING LIED TO BY THE MAN, MAN.
    every state is colorado
    last.fm
    facebook

OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

Not New Jersey. It's more like Canada, but with people.

e x c u s e m e

don't even start comparing us omq

Star-Lord

Wait a minute, this scenario sounds familiar... OH MY GOD, OBAMA IS TURNING AMERICA INTO EUROPE!
    Bro I don't care what Obama does, as long as I can get some Bartles and Jaymes, I'm a happy camper.
    Well.
    Still depressed, but with a little bit of alcohol. So happy, for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarFreeJazz View Post
    I say this because every German-made vehicle I've worked with has been a pain in the ***. Seriously. The Germans might be the best at shoving Jews in an oven, but when it comes to organizing under the hood of a car, they suck.
    Huh? I -

Oh. Ooooooooh. It's a Nazi joke. Thanks. I get it. Nazi joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Huh? I -

That was a joke? Well I did Nazi that coming.

Haha, okay.

That's all right.

Good job, maybe. I actually voted for a libertarian senator two years ago, because both the democratic and republican nominees were terrible (both people they beat in the primaries were excellent, though. The two awful candidates making it to the ballot is the worst political happening I've seen in my life), but he didn't wind up with nearly 2%. Some people are just plain dumb, apparently.

I don't think this is the place to go into it, but the electoral college should stay, imo. Iowa could stand to be abolished, though.
    Well, I wouldn't have known about the guy if I didn't get a card on my door asking me to vote for him. A gift for checking all of my mail.

Iowans should move to my state. We need more electoral votes.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Huh? I -

Well it's a good thing you got it. Explaining it would have totally ruined the joke.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2d164cz.png[/IMG]

pock pock pock

I hate holocaust jokes. Anne Frankely they make me sick.

if you have some free time, check out my new demo! ~ last.fm ~ steam

Something I learned today in Debates:

Calling someone out on their wrong opinions = trolling!

The usual links

Something I learned today in Debates:

Calling someone out on their wrong opinions = trolling!
    Calling someone out on their wrong opinions=debate

Quote Originally Posted by greatguy View Post
    Calling someone out on their wrong opinions=debate
    That's what I'm getting at, though; someone seems to think it's trolling!

The usual links

The whole debate section is trolling.

Anyway, today I saw this man beat his pregnant girlfriend...

Spoiler:- :

Since when did you turn into the Successful Black Man?
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

The whole debate section is trolling.
    Except for me (for the most part), for some reason.
    last.fm
    facebook

OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

you're all trolls shut up

Anyway, today I saw this man beat his pregnant girlfriend...

Spoiler:- :
    Hahaha, I fell for that. XD

Page 914 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 8148649049109119129139149159169179189249641014 ... LastLast