Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Ash Versus the Champion (713)

Quote Originally Posted by Jigglypuff5000 View Post
    Coolio episode.

Ya know, other than his womanising ways and super-strength, Alder's love of food, sleep, his bond with his pokemon, his view on people and pokemon, and the way he choose to initially deal with Gigalith [through peaceful measures] reminds me alot of what Ash would be like as Champion! o-O xD
    Yes Alder reminded me of Ash, they both care about Pokemon but they also care about food and sleep. Also Ashton won by a technicality, this was a great episode.
    Last edited by Zorocario; 14th March 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Battra View Post
    Not a bad episode just felt like they could've done more with Alder. Do we really need him hitting on Jenny & Joy we've had enough of that with Brock & it makes Alder just come off as the stereotypical dirty old man we see in anime. Also did we really need the overused "lion with thorn stuck in it's paw" to end this episode that just felt like a easy out to show Alder as "caring".
    Well I'm glad there are some other people and Pokemon to do that except for Brock. That way there would be no need for him to come back.

My ideal battle ever!

Bahahahahaha love the fact Alder's Brock Mach 2.0, but also appreciate the message he sends. Excellent episode.
    {Insert signature here}

I thought that this episode would make me appreciate Alder a lot more, but I think it had the opposite effect. He seemed really reductive in the anime, as well as a little too goofy for my tastes. I liked his Bouffalant, though. I didn't really care for the species before this episode, but I liked that Alder's Bouffalant kept him in check at times. I honestly thought that the Gigalith at the end of the episode was redundant; the writers spent the entire episode making Alder seem goofy, and then they decided to show that he really does know a lot about Pokemon? I didn't like it; it was reminiscent of what we learned about Bruno in Kanto.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    I thought that this episode would make me appreciate Alder a lot more, but I think it had the opposite effect. He seemed really reductive in the anime, as well as a little too goofy for my tastes. I liked his Bouffalant, though. I didn't really care for the species before this episode, but I liked that Alder's Bouffalant kept him in check at times. I honestly thought that the Gigalith at the end of the episode was redundant; the writers spent the entire episode making Alder seem goofy, and then they decided to show that he really does know a lot about Pokemon? I didn't like it; it was reminiscent of what we learned about Bruno in Kanto.
    I think you missed the point.

Alder is a good Champion. He gets serious when the situation calls for it (as evident by the Gigalith situation) which basically showed us that he is quite capable but he simply enjoys life in other times which fits his character since he did advise Trip and the others to enjoy life as well.

Also, you remember Bruno? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by ben_pokemon View Post
    I think you missed the point.

Alder is a good Champion. He gets serious when the situation calls for it (as evident by the Gigalith situation) which basically showed us that he is quite capable but he simply enjoys life in other times which fits his character since he did advise Trip and the others to enjoy life as well.

Also, you remember Bruno? Wow.
    It just felt like Alder was too goofy in the anime; the Alder that I pictured in my mind after playing the games was a wanderer who would at times act in a philosophical manner. And yes, I did remember Bruno because he shares several characteristics with Alder.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    It just felt like Alder was too goofy in the anime; the Alder that I pictured in my mind after playing the games was a wanderer who would at times act in a philosophical manner. And yes, I did remember Bruno because he shares several characteristics with Alder.
    This pretty much sums up my feelings.

In the games he seems like a benevolent old man champion. In the anime he is a lecherous perv, who is shown not to take his position seriously.

I felt really bad for Trip in this episode. Adler didn't even make an effort to help and remember any of the things when Trip was smaller. I felt that trip should have stayed around longer though. However, I think this episode brought some tension between Ash and Trip more than before. Trip's idol being an idiot like Ash and Ash thinks that's okay as long as you do your best and crap. If that was the case, then Ash would have won a league by now. Nice episode. 9/10

Coolest Eevee evolution ever!

I think that Adler is how Ash will be when he grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by silent_control View Post
    Minus the hitting on Joy and Jenny lol.

Random : PokéRadar

Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    Yes Alder reminded me of Ash, they both care about Pokemon but they also care about food and sleep. Also Ashton won by a technicality, this was a great episode.
    Pretty much EXACTLY what I was gonna say. :3
    Black FC: 5028 7872 0522 (Travis)

My shiny pokemon:

You mean IF he grows up.
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

I'm glad that Ash finally meet the champion in Unova. Alder's a great one. But I didn't expect Alder to have some traits of Brock when it comes to flirting with Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny. But its okay. He's pretty funny.
    I am here to help others to solve their problem,and I'm also the big fan of Kissshipping.

FC: 3737-9549-2888
    IGN: Shego

Thats funny... The guy that says "Look, its Alder!" has no eyes like Brock.
    I have:
    Platinum
    Heartgold
    White
    Black
    Rumble Blast
    White 2

I used to liek mudkipz, then I took an arrow in the knee. However the arrow turned out to be a seaking. It yelled "F*** yeah" so I screamed "FUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!". The seaking's face became that of a troll while mine became forever alone. The situation was super effective.

I hope he doesn't have hair that bad though. But this was a good episode. It was nice seeing some tention between Trip and Ash in this. Tristian and Ashton are great name!

Coolest Eevee evolution ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Goomba Bulbs Jr. View Post
    Alder flurting with girls, falling asleep, getting ash and trip's names wrong ... and people call him the champion.

Poision and steel? wow! 2 of the 3 types that unova does not have a specail trainer of.

anime only badges, those are from three gym leaders besides the 8 in the games. But what towns did trip get them from? and what could be the names for the gym leaders for those gyms?
    Did trip or any one specifically mention that two of his different gym badges are from a Poison or Steel-type gym? If not, then which one do you think is from a Steel-type gym (I can't tell because none of them look grey).
    My favourite gen 6 Pokemon:
    Delphox
    Pyroar
    Pangoro
    Aegislash
    Malamar
    Dragalge
    Tyrantrum
    Aurorus
    Hawlucha
    Trevenant
    Gourgeist

When I first watched the episode, I was kinda disappointed that Alder wasn't quite the same as in the games. I can understand why some people really don't like him. But, the more I reflect on it, the more I like Alder. I think it's interesting how he's so different from what you'd expect from a champion. He's so casual about it, doesn't boast, and knows that enjoying life is more important than maintaining your power. That's cool. And I do think he has an interesting lesson up his sleeve: it's not smart to think that, once you accomplish your goals, life will just be "And I lived happily ever after." You really do have to consider what you're going to do once you achieve your goals, what you'll strive for then, and how you'll try to enjoy the journey.

Wow, kinda a tangent. Back to the episode. My main beef with it was the fact that Bouffalant wouldn't do ANYTHING unless commanded, not even dodge. I mean, come on, can't that at least be a given? Also, I know complaining about realism in a show like this is a little... odd... but Alder was able to flip a 573.2 lb Pokemon? Really? I think it would've been more realistic if Bouffalant did the flipping: and that would've given Bouffalant and Alder a chance to show how they work well together. Not to mention I thought the whole Gigalith-was-only-attacking-because-it-was-hurt thing was predictable. But these aren't huge complaints by any means.

Also, someone commented that Trip seems like the Cheren of the anime: I agree completely. And someone said something about him acting Brock-ish. Yeah, my first thought was, "Is he Brock's long lost grandfather?"

Anyway, it was an enjoyable episode.
    ~ * My Photobucket Album * ~

Thousands of screencaps of Pokémon, Toradora!, Shugo Chara!, Clannad, K-ON!, and many other anime.
    Use them however you want!

~ * GoodSearch * ~

Search engine that donates a penny to the charity of your choosing every time you do a search. Spread the word, help the world!

Click here to read my one and only Pokemon fanfic! I hope you enjoy it!

I only post on Serebii sporadically, just so you know.

Alder looks like such a pedo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And he is the worst champion so far, i think he sucks.
    Last edited by Comebhax; 15th April 2012 at 12:13 AM.

just saying because ash and alder's match was forfitted doesn't that make ash champ of unova untill he loses

A champion falling asleep during a battle.... Oh how I love cynthia so much better
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

I love the way he just says its a draw! I think of that as a draw! And that's a big deal!

Ash: Now I choose you!
    Electro Ball!

-Pikachu: PikaPika-Chu-Pi!-

Well...Alder's....a joke. But OH WELL. He's not stereotypical, so I'm okay with it! There's your change Pokefans Qwaa

I don't like Trip, but this was one of his better episodes, as we get a glimpse into his past. I liked champion Alder, though, he was one of the more interesting VIPs like Cynthia or Bruno. I especially LOL'd at the part where he actually nodded off during his battle and his bouffalant got ticked off.

7/10
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 11/10 NEW!! 11/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

When Alder asked Ash what he will do after he reaches his goal he replies I never thought about it, which is appropriate since he'll never reach it. Also it;s a shame Ash didn't capture the gigalith, I know I would have at least tried it if that happened ingame.

I loved this episode. The scenes with Alder flirting with the girls were my favorite. I loved the Gigalith part as well.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast