Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ash Versus the Champion (713)

Quote Originally Posted by Zya View Post
        Spoiler:- Ash's badges:

Spoiler:- Trip's badges:

I don't understand why Trip's badges look different (Insect, Bolt and Quake badges). Does anybody know why?
    It's an anime thing. I personally have no problem because it shows that there are other gyms out there besides the 8 in the games. Plus, it's always fun to guess what the pokemon types the gyms specialize in based on the badges' shapes & colors. For example, Trip's fifth badge is shaped kind of like an arm smashing something, so I bet it's probably from a Fighting type gym & is called the Pummel Badge

As for the other 2:
    * My guess for the third badge is either a Ghost type gym because of the lavender color & it's shape kind of looks like a stereotypical ghost-similar to the Fog Badge, or it could be from a Steel type gym because it also looks like a sword, representing either medieval or military arms and armory
    * Since the dominant color for the fourth badge is magenta, my initial guess would be psychic. However, after looking at the shape, I think that badge came from a Poison type gym since it looks like a gush of venom shooting out, similar to when a pokemon uses Toxic. So, I bet it's called either the Venom Badge or the Acid Badge
    Last edited by Mr.Munchlax; 14th October 2011 at 4:21 PM.
        Spoiler:- On Hiatus for the Holiday Season:

Quote Originally Posted by playerking View Post
    That was needed. Do you know what a Rivalry is, well if Trip didn't have the upper hand from the start, it wouldn't of been a very good one. The rival should always be better because it's more of a challenge.
    That's not a rivalry, that's the complaint of Ash in reverse. By definition, rivals should be close to equals in terms of strength. When rivals battle, they should bring out the best in one another. The writers haven't written a compelling rivalry since the start of the series to the point that I question if they even know the difinition of the word. A rivalry should never be as one sided as they've done it with one side constantly having the upper hand. Just look at any other series with rivals and you'll see how it's supposed to be.

Blue likes the Dancing Trpinch so should you.
    If you approve of Black and White's new anime-only lead Iris, put this in your sig(started by TrainerOfLegend)

-Ash is finally on his way towards Driftveil, when Iris stops him to...point out a festival!
    -...a festival where there's Whack-A-Sandile using real Sandile. That seems kind of cruel.
    -Oh, it's not just a festival; it's Performer Street.
    -...they're selling ice cream shaped like Vanillite(complete with face!). That's kind of creepy.
    -Oh, Shooti's there too. And he doesn't give a damn about Ash, as usual.
    -And of course, when Ash goes to brag about his new badge, Shooti shows off that he has five badges...but to be fair, if he managed to get out of Nimbasa before the TR plot struck, he would have had a head start on Ash simply because Ash had to wait for the drawbridge. (then again, all of Shooti's badges past the second one are 100% anime-only...)
    -Shooti doesn't want to fight Ash(as usual), but this time he has a really good reason for it! Alder is here!
    -As a random aside, I think it's a nice touch that you can see the Driftveil Drawbridge in the distance while Shooti's blathering on about Alder.
    -Then we get a flashback to Alder promising to battle Shooti someday(and we all know that there's no way he made that promise to every single little kid who wanted to be a trainer that he's met!)
    -Speaking of Alder...he's just up the hill! Sitting in Officer Jenny's motorcycle and chilling out with her Herdier. Jenny...isn't really pleased about this. Her Herdier seems to like Alder just fine, though.
    -Jenny boots Alder out of her bike and drives off, and Trip rushes up to Alder. Alder does a good show of prtending to remember who he is(even though it's been years and there must have been hundreds of kids who were all I'M GOING TO BATTLE YOU SOMEDAY to him), but...he gets Shooti's name wrong, and calls him Shuutaro. Well, to be fair, it has been years since they met one(1) time.
    -Ash, having no sense of propriety, rushes up to Alder and asks for a battle. Shooti is understandably kind of annoyed at this, and the end result is a little shoving match.
    -I think Alder just offered to fight them both at once, but I'm not really sure.
    -When they insist on fighting individually...Shooti volunteers Ash to go first? And he's acting all smug about it; I'm guessing he thinks Ash doesn't stand a chance?
    -...Alder just called Ash Santaro! I guess calling people (first syllable or two of their name)-taro is going to be Alder's "thing"?
    -Alder leads with Buffafro Bouffalant. Ash uses Pikachu, because WHY NOT.
    -Ash makes the first move by ordering a Thunderbolt, and Alder...is just standing calmly with his eyes closed. Welp.
    -Bouffalant shakes the attack off easily, and Alder still doesn't do anything. Is this supposed to be some way of showing Ash that Alder's clearly stronger even without attacking?
    -Alder keeps up the no-commands act even through a Quick Attack and an Iron Tail. Everyone immediately starts speculating about what the hell he's doing.
    -Pikachu starts charging up an Electro Ball, and...Bouffalant's starting to get annoyed at Alder's silent treatment!
    -Bouffalant pretty much yells at Alder after the attack hits, and...wait...Alder's...asleep. That's amazing.
    -Ash's reaction is...about what you'd expect from someone whose opponent(much less the CHAMPION OF THE UNOVA REGION) fell asleep right at the start of their battle.
    -Alder orders an Afro Break(**** you, I know it's Head Smash Charge(see? it's so non-memorable that I couldn't remember its name) in English, but Afro Break sounds so much cooler), and Bouffalant is kind of testy towards him...so Alder slaps it on the ass to get it to charge forward! Okay, this is officially better than Cynthia's "spend hours choosing between ice cream flavors" gimmick.
    -Bouffalant charges towards Pikachu...gets right in front of it...then turns around...and hits Alder!
    -It's a one hit KO! Bouffalant wins! Looks like Alder's trainer is going to have to work on his defenses some more.
    -Alder gets back up quickly enough, and Bouffalant has already distracted itself by eating some bushes.
    -Shooti asks if he can battle now, but Alder doesn't want to...and starts talking about Jenny instead. Dento and Iris' reactions are...about what you'd expect.
    -Then Shooti breaks out a speech about getting stronger and blah blah blah generic speech blah
    -I have to say, the anime's doing a much better job of capturing the whole "Alder doesn't really care about battles anymore" thing than the games did.
    -Shooty ends up walking away in a huff. I can't really blame him.
    -Alder makes up with Bouffalant by giving it an apple...and then his stomach growls. Well, champions gotta eat too.
    -At the Pokemon Center...Alder's hitting on Joy. It's like he's an entertaining version of Brock or something.
    -Lunch gets awkward, what with all the trainers staring in awe at Alder. But they go away quickly enough once Alder asks.
    -And it's time for our biannual "have all the main characters reaffirm what their goals are" scene.
    -But now I think Alder's asking them what they'll do after they reach their goals? Dammit, they're kids! Don't send them into their midlife crisis early just because you're going through one!
    -Or maybe he's asking them why they have their goals? I dunno. All I know is that they all answer with something to do with strength and THAT WON'T FLY.
    -Joy pops up in a panic, and...did Alder just call her "honey"?
    -Oh, by the way, a Gigalith is tearing up the street.
    -Alder apparently gets his apples from the same place Iris kept getting them from in the Cottonee episode.
    -Having a Gigalith slam you into a light pole has got to hurt.
    -Jenny starts to fight back against the Gigalith, but Bouffalant blocks Herdier's Shadow Ball!
    -Let me take a moment to say that Gigalith sounds really, really cool.
    -It was rampaging because of a nail in its foot. And...bahahhaa, everyone but Alder is cringing when they see how long it is.
    -And then Alder offers the Gigalith a...mineral thing. Because they don't eat apples, obviously!
    -Jenny starts telling Alder off for some reason, but is interrupted when the light pole from earlier starts to fall towards her. That ain't good.
    -But Gigalith saves her, so it turns out okay!
    -And then Alder gives a nice warm-fuzzies speech about friendship and Pokemon and blah blah blah generic speech blah.
    -They say their goodbyes in front of the drawbridge. Ash gets a head rub, and Iris and Dento just kind of edge away to the side a bit. Thus ends the episode.
    -...the ending changed to a new verse. No more GIARU GIGIGIARU GIGIGIARU for us. :(

This episode was...different. I'll reiterate what I said about the anime actually showing Alder going through his "doesn't care much about being a trainer anymore" phase(as opposed to the games, where it's told and not shown). In that light, it worked pretty well. And if anyone had any doubts about Trip taking Cheren's place before, it's obvious now - between Trip talking about getting stronger, and then everyone else talking about their dreams and getting stronger to reach them(and Alder being disappointed at that), Cheren would just be redundant at this point.
    Last edited by Juputoru; 15th October 2011 at 5:14 AM.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post
    -Alder orders an Afro Break(**** you, I know it's Head Smash in English, but Afro Break sounds so much cooler)
    Actually, the English name is Head Charge

-...the ending changed to a new verse. No more GIARU GIGIGIARU GIGIGIARU for us.
    ?????
        Spoiler:- On Hiatus for the Holiday Season:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Munchlax View Post

?????
    Juputoru is talking about the ending where Meowth is pretending to be a dj, and some guy is singing all the pokemon's names. The "GIARU GIGIGIARU GIGIGIARU" is him singing the names of the Klink line.

Shuutaro and Santaro? What next, Shitaro, Giitaro, Cattaro and Rentaro?

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

In all honest, I hate Alder even more now...I don't like his crazy and odd behavior...

I like crazy odd Alder, fits him, and rids of the stereotypical cool, even headed Champion image.
    Pokemon Black FC: 5458 0929 9006

This episode was...different. I'll reiterate what I said about the anime actually showing Alder going through his "doesn't care much about being a trainer anymore" phase(as opposed to the games, where it's told and not shown). In that light, it worked pretty well. And if anyone had any doubts about Trip taking Cheren's place before, it's obvious now - between Trip talking about getting stronger, and then everyone else talking about their dreams and getting stronger to reach them(and Alder being disappointed at that), Cheren would just be redundant at this point.
    THANK YOU!

From the beginning people wanted Cheren to appear but I'm glad Trip took his place.

I've have a lot of catching up to do, and it seems impossible at the moment. Still, I am glad that I took notice of this ep. Never expected a Champion battle to turn out like this. Just saw the episode pictures, and I got a question, where is TR?! They used to appear in every episode, even if just for a minute. Is this happening for a while now or what?
    Last edited by Cazak; 26th October 2011 at 3:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazak View Post
    I've have a lot of catching up to do, and it seems impossible at the moment. Still, I am glad that I took notice of this ep. Never expected a Champion battle to turn out like this. Just saw the episode pictures, and I got a question, where is TR?! They used to appear in every episode, even if just for a minute. Is this happening for a while now or what?
    No since BW TR have appeared a lot less frequently, each plot they scheme tends to have a bit of build up before they do it.

Everything that Alder says about "is getting stronger all there is to it?" really fits to what happens to him in the games.

I don't get why Trip takes it so personal when Alder doesn't remember one time when he said something to one little kid out of many in a festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Tails_Sliat View Post
    Everything that Alder says about "is getting stronger all there is to it?" really fits to what happens to him in the games.

I don't get why Trip takes it so personal when Alder doesn't remember one time when he said something to one little kid out of many in a festival.
    Because that's how kids act around their idols. Trip just (re)met his idol, his role model, and was extremely disappointed that someone he saw as the BEST battler in the region fell asleep during a Pokemon battle.

I like how we're featuring a Champion who isn't so darn perfect. He hits on women, he's out having fun, but at the same time, he still shows WHY he's the Champion.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Tails_Sliat View Post
    Don't you think Trip acts really cold and aloof for a 10 year old? Maybe he had a run in with Ghetsis...

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

Rewatched the episode in another version that I can't mention because I will get a warning and it made me like Alder even more .

His whole speach at the end was pretty cool to.

He actually remember Shotaro urgh, Shooti sorry, or is Shotaru some kind of japanese pun that actually made it look like he remembers him?

Never though he would remember kid number 3139 tha admires him.

Shooti really is going Cheren way XD.

Just saw the episode, and I'm loving Alder! I hope him crashing into stuff becomes a gag; even Dent commented that he'd get hurt one day if he keeps doing it. And I actually really enjoyed that scene with Shooti storming off. We saw a different side of him acting like a 10 year old, to extreme disappointment. There were a lot of game vibes too. Dang it. The writers are setting themselves up perfectly for Team Plasma...

Shame that we probably won't see him that often since he is the champion and all. I didn't mind lack of pokemon. At this point I find the interactions and characters more interesting. And really. Something as trivial as so and so not being used doesn't affect the quality of the episode. It's just people botching that what they want didn't happen. Though I do agree with someone's comment about minimal effort being put into Ash, Iris, and Dent. The way they responded to Alder's speeches were just so one-dimensional and didn't differentiate them at all. I was hoping at least Ash by now would know the obvious fact that just being strong doesn't make the trainer.

New ending? = fail-ish. At least they didn't do that with the opening. But the ending has technically changed twice before it did even once now.
    Last edited by CupidKirby; 2nd November 2011 at 6:46 AM.
    -
    [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/9i9zxi.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/j8faqd.png[/IMG]
    * Credit to pokefan#493

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Because that's how kids act around their idols. Trip just (re)met his idol, his role model, and was extremely disappointed that someone he saw as the BEST battler in the region fell asleep during a Pokemon battle.

I like how we're featuring a Champion who isn't so darn perfect. He hits on women, he's out having fun, but at the same time, he still shows WHY he's the Champion.
    I understand how he feels that someone who you grew up idoilizing is totally different than you thought. That's what the celebraties here are like. Good on screen but assed out in real life. However, this is better than pointless fillers anyday.

My ideal battle ever!

Finally got to watched this episode.

I enjoyed it.

Alder being a carefree guy but still knows his stuff, I like that and he's more enjoyable this way to me.

Nice to see Trip again. I like the whole situation that happened with him in this episode.

Gigalith's voice sounded awesome to me.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Alder lifted an gigalith with his bare hands. therefore he is awesome.

Froakie master race reporting in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanillachu View Post
    Alder lifted an gigalith with his bare hands. therefore he is awesome.

Legit! That is fair enough.
    Black code: 3611 3351 1490 √-1

[IMG]http://i51.*******.com/2ln93l5.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.*******.com/2rwubuh.gif[/IMG]

I really don't like how Alder's portrayed in the anime. He's just portrayed as this idiot ('don't worry, Gigalith should stop', *gets sent flying*) who hits on people half his age. Like a creepier Brock, if that's possible. I never really liked Alder in the games, and I can't say that the anime made me like him any more than that.

Otherwise, the episode would have been a boring filler, if it wasn't for Alder's appearance... nothing much to add- I didn't enjoy it :/
    Running for the thrill of it

Alder is my favorite champion, now i see thid episode I'm sure about it..lift a Gialith? no problemo
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

It is official! When Naruto charecters die they go to the Pokemon world. Minato as Volkner and now Pervy Sage as Alder. XD I liked the episode tbh Alder is way better then Cynthia. He has a personality

Quite an interesing episode. Alder didn't amuse me a whole lot for the most part. He made everything he saw like a joke, especially not focusing on that battle with Ash. Or "Ashton" since he can't get his name right. Same for " Tristan" for Trip. Although Tristan is a better name for him in my opinion. This was more like an episode called "Ash Meets the Champion!" So they can get those viewers to watch with a Versus in the title.

Alder is unique though, and all his actions to the next says a lot. He did win me over at the end when he calmed down that wild Gigalith. Clearly I thought he was going to catch it, or it was his to begin with. Imagine Officer Jenny's reaction if it were that case. xD

Not too bad of an episode, but I felt for Trip. Although he had the "donkey" level attitude very high today.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

I finally got to see this episode today. I thought it was pretty good. Alder seem your typical shonen strong and carefree main character-type of character but he's cool to me. I like how he brought up that good question towards Ash, Iris, & Cilan about what they're going to do after they fulfill their dreams. I can see Ash being somewhat like Alder in the future. Great episode.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast