Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Metagame Pokemon

Default Anti-Metagame Pokemon

Title pretty much explains it all.

So, what Pokemon do you consider "Anti-Metagame" and why?

Do you use said Pokemon in your teams, if so, how have they fared?

EDIT: I originally intended this to apply to OU, but it's fine to discuss anti-metagame mons in other tiers as long as you specify.

Mamoswine. It 1-2HKOs pretty much the entire metagame on its own. Even Skarmory is 3HKOed by Icicle Crash (or whatever its called) and it has a 30% chance of being flinched! EQ + Icicle Crash hits pretty much everything bit it can always revenge kill stuff like Latios / Landorus / etc with Ice Shard.

Scarf Abomasnow was always fun. Much less useful than it was early B/W when Swift Swim and Excadrill were everywhere but its still kind of usable now.

awwwww BH beat me too it, but in ubers its staraptor
    Rate my UU Team
    NOWZ!!!!!
    The Fallen

The Forbidden Empires are open!!!

(Click on the banner for a link)

Clan Chat

Oh, if its other tiers..

Bulky Sitrus Berry Belly Drum Linoone. It sets up on so many Pokemon its shocking, and at +6 cleanly sweeps most RU teams. Throw a Dugtrio in to kill the Steel and Memento and you will win 3/4ths your RU matches without the use of your brain.

Honestly, Arena Trap Dugtrio is pretty anti-metagame too, considering it can be used as a revenge killer on everything except water-types. Plus with Hone Claws, it can now trap choiced pokemon that do little damage, build up attack, then sweep with the amount of speed it has.
    The Journey (Rated R)

A pokemon adventure that will take you on a journey through the lives of budding trainers.

3DS friend code: 2981-6128-1202

Local Vivillon: Polar Pattern. If you want one I shall send it.

Oh wut

Most sets of Infernape are anti-metagame imo, since it can kill top OU pokemon with his STABs

1. Tyranitar = Close Combat OHKOs even if Chople Berry I think
    2. Scizor = infernape can survive a bullet punch and OHKOs with strong Fire attack
    3. Ferrothorn = Overheat or Close Combat, can 2HKO in rain
    4. Jirachi = Sword Dance Nape with Earthquake can destroy Jirachi with Flare Blitz or EQ
    5. Skarmory = With some help of rocks to break Skarm's sturdy, Fire Blast or Overheat KOs
    6. Forretress = Same as Scizor and Skarm

He also has Grass Knot, that can be useful against Gastrodon and Rotom-W

Trick Room Reuniclus. Ferrothorn is the only thing in OU that's slower than this thing, and that's severely dented by Focus Blast anyway. It completely trolls stall thanks to Magic Guard. It punches holes in balance teams and messes with HO teams lacking Scizor. If you're lucky with Focus Miss you can even take on the no.1 Psychic counter: Tyranitar and thanks to Psyshock, it takes on the ultimate special sweeper counter: Blissey. As long as Scizor isn't present, teams just will have to wait until Trick Room ends and they can Taunt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Well heatran with a scarf was, as its took out most of the game's top threats.(though given heatran's usage one could argue it was at the very core of the metagame).

Quagsire/Gastrodon are probably the main ones now. Ferro still drops them, but they counter much of OU and are a complete stop to the most popular poke in competitive battling; Kyogre. (based off uber usage where players can choose from any pokemon they want.)

Azumarel is pretty good at taking out OU threats. With a band it can take out Volcaroa, non-sash Cloyster (it can handle a +2 Rock Blast), and even Gliscor.

Whimsicott also makes a check to any boosting sweeper without priority not named Espeon and can really s**** an HO team if played right.

To adress my own OP, I've found Tangrowth to be anti-metagame, it has the bulk to check a plethora of top threats and is quite far from the OU Tier, residing in RU. It is, however, the 27th most used Pokemon in Antar's "1337 Stats" [stats taken from players with a rating of 1337+], so obviously a good amount of the more skilled players have caught on.

mynicroak....

Click my Sig to go to our xat!!!

credit to EG and extroph

Shell Smash'd Zapdos with BoltBeam coverage. Either that or Shell Smash'd Staraptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Farfan View Post
    Oh wut

Most sets of Infernape are anti-metagame imo, since it can kill top OU pokemon with his STABs

1. Tyranitar = Close Combat OHKOs even if Chople Berry I think
    2. Scizor = infernape can survive a bullet punch and OHKOs with strong Fire attack
    3. Ferrothorn = Overheat or Close Combat, can 2HKO in rain
    4. Jirachi = Sword Dance Nape with Earthquake can destroy Jirachi with Flare Blitz or EQ
    5. Skarmory = With some help of rocks to break Skarm's sturdy, Fire Blast or Overheat KOs
    6. Forretress = Same as Scizor and Skarm

He also has Grass Knot, that can be useful against Gastrodon and Rotom-W
    grass knot doesnt do sh*t to rotom or gastro
    Rate my UU Team
    NOWZ!!!!!
    The Fallen

The Forbidden Empires are open!!!

(Click on the banner for a link)

Clan Chat

F.e.a.r pokemons those are pretty awesome anti-metagame although a cowardy choice for that..
    aron can KO lot of pokemons in sandstorm (not rock/steel/ground types at least)
    great thing against sweepers that set up (it can beat dragonite )

grass knot does nothing to rotom-W as he is pretty light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Tyranitar View Post
    grass knot doesnt do sh*t to rotom or gastro
    Rotom no, Gastro yes. Its a clean 2HKO sometimes even OHKO after a Fire Blast and some previous damage.

Fly Golurk guys.

Nah on a more serious note, SpDef Tran with Roar and Deo-D (especially when used together with a weather disrupter, because they actually have really great synergy typewise and SpDef Tran + Physical Def Deo-D compliment each other really well). Also they're both pretty unexpected and make a solid stall core.

Weak to Bloo's Reuniclutch though.

Certain Politoed's and Infernape's can tear through a team if your opponent doesn't have a counter to either

Cloyster. It can come in on anything that uses physical moves,proceed to Shell Smash, and sweep unprepared teams. Its incredible base 180 defense allows it to take almost nothing from priority.

Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

Quote Originally Posted by epic_eevee View Post
    Fly Golurk guys.

Nah on a more serious note, SpDef Tran with Roar and Deo-D (especially when used together with a weather disrupter, because they actually have really great synergy typewise and SpDef Tran + Physical Def Deo-D compliment each other really well). Also they're both pretty unexpected and make a solid stall core.

Weak to Bloo's Reuniclutch though.
    Obviously, i mean come on guys as if fly already made sense on him xD
    alright, im gonna be stupid because i feel really high or something right now and say ditto with silverpowder and his dw ability even though it isn't released yet because it's kinda hard to win MOST of the time if you're facing yourself and you've already been weakened 70% of the time. Here, i'll let you setup 3 shell smashes on cloyster, you kill me, i send out ditto, GG lol. Idk if you call that anti metagame, but it sure as hell beats most of the metagame especially the setup sweeper pokes xD. Oh, and he could always come in on an anti metagame poke, therefore making him anti metagame! lol

RIP Ice Grabbers
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nana you're too smart for a 3DS.
    *credit to PurpleBlitz for drac stuff*

^Silver powder? Don't you mean quick powder? Silver powder is the one that boost bug-type moves....

BTW, ditto's special powders don't work after it transforms.
    F.e.a.r pokemons those are pretty awesome anti-metagame although a cowardy choice for that..
    Not really, with sand, multi-hit moves, spikes, toxic spikes, faster priority users, ghost types, substitute, ect.

Wondertomb is obviously the best one.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

I'd say Terrakion can be pretty anti-metagame at times, since it's got a set for just about anything. Double Dancer allows it to set up Swords Dance and run through stall, while also using Rock Polish to trample over frailer offensive teams. You can even run a single Dance move with a little extra coverage to specialize in destroying one particular type of team. Choice Scarf is my personal favorite set, since it allows him to outspeed Base 100s, Landorus, and the odd Meinshao at +1. It can also do tons of damage with its impressive Base 129 Atk stat and its powerful and very complimentary STABs, even without the Life Orb, and is probably the best answer to Volcarona in all of OU. Choice Band is at times the scariest of all its sets, since it is nearly uncounterable except by Nidoqueen and Golurk, a pair of Pokemon fairly rare to OU.

Scarf Landorus. nuff said.

New Bible Verse of the Week: Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.

Focus Sash Calm Mind Alakazam is AMAZING right now. With Magic Guard it can switch into things, get a second life at attempting a sweep. It makes a great revenge killer considering it lives any hit with its Focus Sash. It can Calm Mind then bust through Chansey with Psycho Shock, since it only has Seismic Toss to damage Alakazam and Toxic doesn't really do anything. It has great speed, it outruns Scarfed Tyranitar (people are realizing how incredible it is,) great coverage and power. Imagine Calm Minding on the switch, then sweeping with an extra life. Not many other pokemon can boast to that.

LO Deoxys S. It is faster than most scarfers, has a great movepool, has more than enough power to sweep frail teams. It also has great suprise factor due to its multiple viable sets. It de-crowned Excadrill as the fastest standalone pokemon in the metagame, and doesn't lose to stuff like Gliscor and Skarmory. It is also very easy to lure and 2HKO Scizor with something like CB Haxorus, then have LO Deoxys S sweep the rest of their team.

Scarfed Tyranitar is great considering it can outrun Latios and Latias then Pursuit them. It also handles Nasty Plot Celebi very well. It catches Tornados off guard. It can sweep teams late game, unlike the slower sets. I haven't ever had a time when I used Scarfed Tyranitar, then wish it was any other set. It is really that good with the suprise factor. Revenges Lucario, Toxicroak, and I can go on.

SD Landorus/Terrakion are very good too. They destroy most stall teams, while being more than capable against faster teams. These two guys will be rising in play now that Excadrill got the kick. Very strong and provide solid resistences.

Crobat has a lot of anti-metagame potential, with a super-fast Haze, Hypnosis, Tailwind (HO, watch out), etc.

500th post!
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

Houdoom to against Ferrothorn and Chandelure combie in Single Battle
    Heart gold version
    FC:4641 1744 2529

my soulsilver code
    4039 8688 9199
    name:Luna

[SIZE="2"]click

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast