View Poll Results: Was the milktank really that hard?!

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah if you don't level grind and use status lowering moves ect.

6 10.53%
  • No I just had to think correctly to win

18 31.58%
  • Dude heck Yes I got spammed with rollout and attract and stomp countless times.

33 57.89%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did so many people have trouble with whitney's milktank back in pokemon silver?

Default Why did so many people have trouble with whitney's milktank back in pokemon silver?

I just simply used my flaffy's thunderwave to hold down its speed down and stop its rollout attack and used thundershock though flaffy and bellsprout went down I was able to use Flash to lower milktank's accuracy and make rollout less of a threat then finished the battle with noctowl who was level 22 Female using peck and tackle. But I don't really see why it was so hard to beat even though I only won because I used strategy XD. But really what was it that got on your nerves cause it wasn't hard really unless you walked in the gym as soon as you arrived in goldenrod city with underleveled pokemon.
    I beat her on my first try for anyone who wants to know. And yes people I do know it had Milkdrink so quit saying that.
    Last edited by TheBattleFrontierAsh1; 19th October 2011 at 5:31 PM.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    Dark Pit isn't that bad of an inclusion, you'll get over it trust me.

Her Clefairy used a Metronome-Aeroblast on me, so that was surprising. The way I handled Miltank was to go north of Goldenrod and train my Quilava and Quagsire to the high 20's. It wasn't too hard after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracoste View Post
    You were talking about safe cooking. Guess what happens when you don't cook safe.
    (It starts with "D" and ends with "amn, my kitchen is on fire")

It had milk drink so it was a little harder had some problems in SS too but anyway, if I start a new save now I will beat her in the first try :P

Because most of us were younger and not as experienced in battling at that time. At least I was. Didn't care about types and such, all I did was to train my starter and leave everything else untrained. Which gave me huge troubles against Whitney in Silver. But when I played Crystal for the first time, she ended up being the easiest gym leader, oddly enough.
    This is the future we made for ourselves
    But is it really the dream we wanted to live in?

The present has to be treated as precious
    Or we will regret it when it has become the past...

I have two theories, one, everybody used male pokemon, falling to the Attract, or two, Miltanks Accuracy and Attack was too high.
    Signiture Underconstruction

Quote Originally Posted by maz2468 View Post
    I have two theories, one, everybody used male pokemon, falling to the Attract, or two, Miltanks Accuracy and Attack was too high.
    I think your first theory is more accurate than the second I can see several people back 11 years ago when this game came out using only males not knowing of the move attract and then later getting trolled with it With me only 2 of my pokemon are males (Crawconaw,Weepingbell,) The others are female so I mainly used my girls to attack then finished it in one go It's not hard if you knowledge in basic competative matching.

Like Winter02 said, a lot of us were really young when they first came out and didn't have much if any strategy. I know I used to think wasting turns inflicting a status or lowering stats was a waste of time, plus not leveling my team high enough for the battle was a huge reason why I had my backside handed to me several times.
    Planned Omega Ruby Team

Planned Alpha Sapphire Team

It was only hard if you were a kid back when they came out for the first time and you battled with no strategy and only sheer force other than that not really that difficult.

Crystal was my first game, so I didn't know much but she used roll out alot.

Gold was my first game, but honestly I don't remember having much trouble with Whitney's Miltank. All I remember is that I used Quilava, so I guess I was just lucky and managed to defeat Miltank before its Rollout got out of hand.

There were a few times on Silver and Crystal where I had trouble with Miltank, but they were nothing like some of the Miltank horror stories I've heard over the years.

Rollout just kept killing me, In crystal i just kept using hypnosis with my poliwag until I eventually won.

when i started (many) years ago my adventures with pokemon 2nd generation i was always mad in miltank, always beat clefairy with yawning and the had really tough time with miltank. but with few all game walktrough i learn how make she down, and she is not that scary as earlier
    You can bite me,but cannot crunch

It was probably more of inexperience and not getting a fighting-type (if any existed prior to Goldenrod--oh wait, one would evolve Ledyba), or were rather unfamiliar with the new Johto Pokémon, and never expected a powerhouse so early in the game. At least, that's what happened with me.

I guess Nintendo just loves teaching us lessons on being cocky or something--Silver had among the hardest Gym Leaders there were at the time, especially with Clair.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

It took me one go to defeat her on Gold. I had Quilava. I managed to take a few chunks out of her Miltank but her Rollout killed me. My Spearow finished it off for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Minteh View Post
    It took me one go to defeat her on Gold. I had Quilava. I managed to take a few chunks out of her Miltank but her Rollout killed me. My Spearow finished it off for me.
    Like what frontier said if you had a flaffy you'd be fine esspecially if it knew thundershock and thunder wave.

Or maybe a machop?
    Signiture Underconstruction

Quote Originally Posted by maz2468 View Post
    Or maybe a machop?
    Even that couldn't do very good you needed strategy to win not type advantage I did it without a fighting type.

Considering that all of my Pokemon were male I was getting raped by Attract. I was then destroyed by Roll Out. And in the remakes giving Milk Drink didn't help either.

Like what many have said. We were realy young and didn't know what we were really doing. I found Geodude to be effective against it.

Credit to zhanton
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    omg Larry is on! i can now sleep in peace knowing he is ok!

Most of the time I will just chuck a fighting type (Or a Pokemon w/ fighting type move) into play, and spam that thing. Considering I don't necessarily like most of those Pokemon though, I will probably just either throw in a rock type or use pure power and higher levels to win.

ZFXZFX ~
    If we are born to die and we all die to live, then whats the point of living life if it just contradicts?
    - Ronnie Radke

She's the second hardest GL in Johto. And HG/SS made it worse.
    Some days you just can't force a smile. :<

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    It was probably more of inexperience and not getting a fighting-type (if any existed prior to Goldenrod--oh wait, one would evolve Ledyba), or were rather unfamiliar with the new Johto Pokémon, and never expected a powerhouse so early in the game. At least, that's what happened with me.

I guess Nintendo just loves teaching us lessons on being cocky or something--Silver had among the hardest Gym Leaders there were at the time, especially with Clair.
    You are able to catch Heracross before Goldenrod. I'm trying to get it now before battling that Miltank on my Silver Walkthrough.

Credit to Neo Pikachu for the Weavile banner.

I had all male pokemon, f*ck attract.....

Name: Houdini
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

One word: Quilava. Rollout is super effective. Actually, scratch that; male quilava. Attract + rollout = you're effed, unless you level grind like heck. Luckily, I had the patience to actually do that back in the day.

Banners made by kyogreblue3!

"I'll be your dancing flower, dancing, I'll be your dancin' senorita, oh oh..."~

Spoiler:- Other sig stuff:

Yeah, I had a male Quilava as well. In Heart Gold that miltank was a HUGE pain for me. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one. I didn't really feel like grinding at all but I think I ended up grinding a little anyway.

That steelix gym also gave me grief.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast