View Poll Results: Was the milktank really that hard?!

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah if you don't level grind and use status lowering moves ect.

6 10.53%
  • No I just had to think correctly to win

18 31.58%
  • Dude heck Yes I got spammed with rollout and attract and stomp countless times.

33 57.89%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did so many people have trouble with whitney's milktank back in pokemon silver?

It's been very long since I've played Gold. During the first, I thought it was just Attract that's the problem, but then I've lost my Quilava against that Miltank.

If the rumors are true, then Normal type Pokemon are the strongest. Of course with a fighting Pokemon, you would have ease, but against a Miltank, it's hard to take it down with high stamina and strength.
    To beat Miltank, make sure to have a female Pokemon to help you to avoid attract. If one of your Pokemon ends up in love, switch to another Pokemon. Don't go with a flying type or a fire type. Flaffy is good, but make sure Flaffy is strong and fast. It's fine when its paralyzed, just switch in time before you get crushed.

When Miltank is stuck paralyzed, and you can lucky, finish Miltank off for good.
    I am Red, Knights of the Pokemon Round Table. I have come afar to bring justice to all warriors and trainers with my valiant Pokemon and my weapon.

A Male Quilava wasn't exactly the best Pokemon to have in that batt;e.

Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    A Male Quilava wasn't exactly the best Pokemon to have in that batt;e.
    Yup. Nothing else in my MALE party helped either, if you get what I mean
    I have claimed Pokemon Emerald. U jelly?

Quote Originally Posted by PokeTrainerJay View Post
    You are able to catch Heracross before Goldenrod.
    Pfft. Brick Break wasn't available until Gen 3 and there weren't any good Fighting attacks you could get before that fight, so Heracross couldn't help you unlike HGSS.

Anyway, she's not really hard. All you need is to know what you're doing.

I used a Croconaw with Ice Punch. Miltank has good physical defense, but its Special defense isn't that great, allowing it to get 2HKO'd easily.

If anyone wants to know, if you haven't picked Totodile, Abra is available in the Game Corner and the Elemental Punches can be bought in the Goldenrod department store. It's just as good.
    Last edited by Josef Stylin; 2nd December 2011 at 1:23 AM.

She didn't even bother me! I wiped her WITH A MALE Quilava before she could attack! Mwahahhahahahahhahahah!

I was 8 years old when I first battled her, and I still didn't see the point of using anything other than my starter(which happened to be Quilava at the time) and any move that didn't do damage, so naturally the Attract /Rollout combo made getting past her impossible for a while, maybe a week or so of trying to beat her. I eventually got fed up with it and restarted my game to get a different starter that wouldn't die so easily, so I picked totodile this time and cleaned house, until I realized that Rollout did more damage each time it hit, and that I was still suspect-able to charm status thanks to all of the starters being Male. This is also were I found out thank her Miltank could use Milk Drink to restore whatever damage I manged to do to her, making her seem impossible for me or my brothers(who were 6 and 5 years old, respectively) to beat. Then one one day, when I manged to save enough money from trainer rematches to buy the Ice Punch TM, I ended up talking to that guy that would trade you a Machop for a Drowsee. I knew Fighting types were super effective against normal types, so I traded him the Drowsee with Flash that I had for it, challenged Whitney, and still lost to Stomp attacks, because Machop weak and I had battled just about everyone beyond the unmovable Sudowoodo tree, and I didn't want to wait for rematches, so I restarted a 3rd time, picked Cyndaquil back up, caught a Female Drowsee as early as possible so I wouldn't be charmed and traded it for Machop, then I went to work battling people I had intentionally skipped so Machop could gain enough EXP to stand a chance, getting him up to LV.17 due to him being a traded Pokemon, and finally beat Miltank with STAB Karate Chops. This is were I realized what that random NCP meant when he said that Building an equally leveled team was more efficient then using only one Pokemon, so I deiced to catch and train Mareep, and that Sudowoodo to equal levels.
    Fact: All fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.

Pokemon Red Team: Corona LV.53 Garland LV.44 Salt LV.47 Rime LV.48 Blitz LV.55 Buckle LV. 46 Badges: 8, Elite Four defeated.

Pokemon Crystal Team: Flower LV.62 Torrent LV.61 Echo LV.58 Shade LV. 57 Vortex LV.60 Brand LV. 60Badges: 16, Elite Four defeated, Red defeated

Ranked 5,823rd place in the VGC 2011 Autumn Friendly Tourney

Even at like, 7, I didn't have a particularly difficult time beating her Miltank.I mean, it was bulky, but I took down pretty easily. I only needed my Croconaw to beat it and Clefairy.

@_@

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

I would always get killed by roll out and my strongest Pokemon happen to be male so he turned out to be useless due to attract. I didn't know how to make strategies better at the time because I wasn't that experienced with Pokemon games. When the remakes came out I blew that Pokemon away in one go.

"Yo~! Manaka's here! Wanna go home together? Teehee♥"
    -Takane Manaka

That Miltank was EASY. I know most of you found it very hard. But some other gym leaders were harder than that "Beast".

I used to simply waltzing into gyms and challenging the leaders without training, so my first time around playing Crystal was a bit hard. I got curbstomped at most of the Johto gym (if not all). Like I remembered trying to use Confusion from a L18 or something Butterfree on Hitmonlee at Chuck's gym. Well, that was the past. I don't have troubles anymore because I level grind like crazy before challenging the gyms. Now the level gap between the gym leaders and my team are almost always more than 5, and with type matchup and strategy, I breeze through them easily.

On my Crystal nuzlocke, my starter and four other pokemon fainted before and when I battled Bugsy.
    The funny thing is that I had no trouble with whitney

thats a really good way to prepare for gym leaders. especially the later gym leaders.

I recommend that people should have their pokemon at least 5 or more levels than the leader's toughest pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow249 View Post
    That Miltank was EASY. I know most of you found it very hard. But some other gym leaders were harder than that "Beast".

For some reason, the toughest gym leader for me in johto was Morty. That darn gengar!

Because it's bulky and at the beginning of the game you mainly focus on power and tend to try 1/2HKOing everything, without sparing a thought on how to make your pokemon last in battle for a longer time.

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Winter02 View Post
    Because most of us were younger and not as experienced in battling at that time. At least I was. Didn't care about types and such, all I did was to train my starter and leave everything else untrained. Which gave me huge troubles against Whitney in Silver. But when I played Crystal for the first time, she ended up being the easiest gym leader, oddly enough.
    This. This so much. I was such a stupid kid, I ended up beating her by sheer force, because of cyndaquils whole stats shift thing, I suppose.And the fat that Cyndaquil was the only pokemon I bothered to raise, at all, really. That being said, I remember the rest of the game being easy enough.

Whole nother story when the remakes came out.

I was ready.

My main reason was because I didn't like non-offensive moves when I was a child.
    All of my Pokemon were stocked with attacking moves and that's it. All I did was spam until I won, in the process losing a lot of times.
    Also, I only trained two Pokemon at that time. So I got trashed pretty easily.

EDIT: I just noticed that this thread is an old thread that got bumped. Sorry. orz

Most of us were unprepared I guess. If I had known beforehand that Whitney had a Miltank and that it was resilient, I would have trained my Pokemon better. Then again, the G/S/C leveling system was terrible; you really had to work hard to level up your Pokemon. It would've taken a lot of patience to get the training done. :x

for me whitney is the hardest even i train my quilava to lv 28 in the 2nd try she still beat me =.= maybe because all my pokemon have all offensive move
    in 3rd try i ctach drowzee and trade it with a female machop =.= (thsi pokemon still crepp me out )and beat her at least
    i find the other gym leader so Easy mayeb beacuse of that too
    Claire kingdra i beat it with bellosom XD petal dance
    Morty genggar XD , Umbreon *.* bite spam
    Last edited by k6666; 30th October 2012 at 5:25 PM.

Attract/Rollout combo devastated me.
    Not to mention when I had my hopes up she used milk drink.

What bothered me the most was I found out I could of done an in-game trade for machop AFTER the fact I had beaten Whitney after 14 or so battles...
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/x4luag.gif[/IMG]
    Hatched 11/2/2012 from 1 of 3 eggs Version:B2
    An unexpected surprise!

She was a killer in both GSC and HGSS. No matter what my starter was!

My FireRed Champs:

My HeartGold Team:

My Black Team:

My White Team:

My White 2 Team So Far:

Being a noob was the main reason why I had troubled with her in my first playthrough. I don't recall her giving me trouble in subsequent playthroughs or in HGSS.

I don't buy the "we were young" argument because, I'm 20 and it still killed my starter pokemon when I was Nuzlock challenging it. (Poor Mr. Crocker )

Reasons Whitney is tough: 1 There is no punishment for choosing the fire starter this time (the first gym is bird) so a lot of people are probably weak to rock. Even if they aren't, roll out is good against fire, flying, and I believe also bug and ice.

2. Roll out does double damage with each hit. So it's like getting critical hits only worse! If you don't stop it once it starts, it will kill you.

3. The starter pokemon will almost always be male so you are basically guaranteed to be weak to attract with at least 1 pokemon, probably even more then that because of luck and whatnot.

4. You might be unlucky with metronome.

5. Stomp is a pretty strong attack for that point in the game.

6. It can heal itself.

The results: You get lucked shotted by the clefairy, then you are paralyzed for all eternity by attract while miltank's rollout gets stronger and stronger and soon nothing can stand in his way except a geodude.

I had trouble with Miltank because of that annoying as hell Rollout and whatnot.
    Play Boy; Lopunny looks like that.
    I like May more than any man here.

Loppuny Credit: Gladeshadow.

Too busy on another forum to be on this one.

@OP

Well aren't you the best strategist in the whole world. ) And how amazing it is that you beat Whitney without a Fighting type! That's certainly unheard of! LOL
    Rollout was a *****, and like many others in this thread I for one did not alot any status moves on any of my monsters. It was a different story in HGSS, where one could get Mareep early and most of us already have more experience than we did all those years ago.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast