View Poll Results: Was the milktank really that hard?!

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah if you don't level grind and use status lowering moves ect.

6 10.53%
  • No I just had to think correctly to win

18 31.58%
  • Dude heck Yes I got spammed with rollout and attract and stomp countless times.

33 57.89%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why did so many people have trouble with whitney's milktank back in pokemon silver?

Quote Originally Posted by k_tribal View Post
    @OP

Well aren't you the best strategist in the whole world. ) And how amazing it is that you beat Whitney without a Fighting type! That's certainly unheard of! LOL
    Rollout was a *****, and like many others in this thread I for one did not alot any status moves on any of my monsters. It was a different story in HGSS, where one could get Mareep early and most of us already have more experience than we did all those years ago.
    You could get Mareep early in the originals too, just not in Crystal.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

my problem was attract(i never used female lol...) and i wouldnt hit until her rollout got like 5 in a row...

I think Whitney was just too strong of a Gym Leader for that point in the game.

The Attract/Rollout combo owned me twice.

So I had to get a female Geodude and train it up to beat Whitney's Miltank.

Banner made by Kelz-Designs on deviantART

I never knew my father...

Spoiler:

Firetruck this guy. I hope he gets banned for good.

Meh. Miltank didn't challenge me in the past because I overleveled (I had Feraligatr by that point on my first run. Really.), and it doesn't challenge me now because I figured out that just about anything can beat Clefairy if it does it quickly and the Miltank falls to literally any Onix or Geodude/Graveller at a decent level. So you Attracted me? Big deal, Stomp does pitiful damage, Rollout won't help if I use Dig, and that honestly just makes it easier for me to PP stall you if push comes to shove.
    Pokemon TCG revamped: The game! - A link to my game. It's locked now, but I'm working on reviving it. If you attempt to recreate it, I will EAT YOU.

...what? I know that I agree with this entirely.

Honestly I don't know I defeated it in one hit(over leveled Crocanaw)
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

I really only had trouble with her in Gold/Silver/Crystal probably because I was a lot younger and it was my first Pokemon game. However, in Heart Gold and Soul Silver she wasn't much of a problem for me probably because I actually knew how to use strategy.

i remember back when first playing it, i thought i was too bad to continue, i restarted my whole game.

i came back with a new team and got back to the third gym and beat her in about a minute on my first try

Because of 2 features: Stats and Levels.

Miltank's stats and its Level make it a hard Pokémon to beat, with only one weakness (fighting type), which most of the trainers have no way to obtain early in the game.

I don't ever remember having many problems with her back in the Gold/Silver/Crystal days, and even in HG/SS I don't remember her giving me enough problems for me to remember my battle with her anymore than any other gym. Meh.
    Last edited by Nephilim; 18th December 2012 at 9:26 PM. Reason: Punctuation correction
    Game: Soul Silver
    Name: Agent X
    FC: 3955-1298-0022

Fire Red Team (0 badges):

Emerald Team (3 badges):

Soul Silver Team (16 badges):

People have always been stumped by it - across all 5 mainstream gen 2/gen 2 remake games because of rollout and especially attract.
    Currently Residing in the orange islands.

Fire is the key to life.

i didn't see why it was so hard. I just spammed water gun :P
    FC: 2967 6468 9106
    If you believe in Flying Spaghetti Monster put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because he says, `If you deny me, I will deny you in front the beer volcano

Credit to eeveelover824
    My x and y shinies: froakie (193 eggs MM), Mime Jr (RE), Volbeat (RE)
        Spoiler:- Assorted chain sig stuff:

Even when I was a younger kid, I didn't have too much trouble with it, even though it was able to KO my Quilava easily.

Back from a very long hiatus. Signature and other things under construction! My friend code is 3496-9664-6228, and my friend safari contains Slugma, Growlithe, and Braixen.

Spoiler:- Shinies and credits:

Once she got her rollout running... I was doomed. I always had trouble with her, until I learned to use strategies, and even then she was still kind of hard.
    SoulSilver BQ

Wonderful Banner by Golden Jet!!!!!
    Chapter 9 is up!! (Still Shocking!)

My quilava nailed that cow with a burn, easy sailing from there.

Not for me, Geodude and Paras were all I needed to succeed through the gym.

As a child it was one of the most difficult battles I experienced, I don't think any of us knew how difficult it would be considering she was only the third gym leader. It was particularly difficult for me in Silver because: A. all my Pokemon were males and thus succumbed to Miltank's attract B. All my Pokemon were weak to rock type moves(Butterfree, Pidgey, and Cyndaquil) C. Milk Drink. When HG came around I was lucky enough to have gotten a Female Totodile, that made things a lot easier.
    Last edited by Zorocario; 29th December 2012 at 3:56 AM.

Back in Crystal: Dat Rollout
    Now in Heart Gold: Very easy
    Click on these Pokémon to make them happy and healthy!:

Spoiler:- Credits:

Pokémon Red Water-monotype challenge team:

Pokémon Emerald Water-monotype challenge team:
    Pokémon Fire Red Nuzlocke challenge team:

I found her Miltank almost impossible because of Rollout. I started with Cyndaquil, and most of the Pokemon I used were weak, so Rollout did quite a bit of damage.

tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder, xerneas, and tales of the abyss
    Omega Ruby team:

she wasnt really a problem because i caught both nidorans (one of my fav pokes >.<) and focus energy double kick but tbh the main reason why it was hard was because we where kids back then we didnt no what strategy was =P

Quote Originally Posted by Charoshi View Post
    Once she got her rollout running... I was doomed. I always had trouble with her, until I learned to use strategies, and even then she was still kind of hard.
    Ditto for me. Rollout and that Moomoo Milk.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    As a child it was one of the most difficult battles I experienced, I don't think any of us knew how difficult it would be considering she was only the third gym leader. It was particularly difficult for me in Silver because: A. all my Pokemon were males and thus succumbed to Miltank's attract B. All my Pokemon were weak to rock type moves(Butterfree, Pidgey, and Cyndaquil) C. Milk Drink. When HG came around I was lucky enough to have gotten a Female Totodile, that made things a lot easier.
    Pretty much this.

wast that hard, i always keep my pokemon about 7+ levels then the average pokemon.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

It was the perfect storm of things. After how easy the gym itself is, you're not expecting a tough fight, especially early in the game. There's a 87.5% chance your starter is male, and he will almost certainly be your strongest pokemon. Miltank is very bulky and takes a number of hits to take down. Your only viable fighting-type option is Machop, and that's only via trade.

Like every aspect of Pokemon within the storyline, it's only hard if you're unprepared for it.

Simply get machop you are super effective and rollout is not very effective

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast