View Poll Results: Was the milktank really that hard?!

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah if you don't level grind and use status lowering moves ect.

6 10.53%
  • No I just had to think correctly to win

18 31.58%
  • Dude heck Yes I got spammed with rollout and attract and stomp countless times.

33 57.89%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Why did so many people have trouble with whitney's milktank back in pokemon silver?

Even though there's a Machop for trade in the Goldenrod Department Store, with a few exceptions like when I was playing through Gold version quickly, I never actually took advantage of it. I just don't like using traded Pokemon for a variety of reasons, so I never used it despite its obvious type advantage against Whitney's Normal-types. I'd rather endure Miltank's Rollout with Pokemon I caught and raised myself than use a Pokemon from a trade.

The lack of revives and stomp-flinching always caused me trouble. Back then I had a tendency not to evolve my pokemon trying to replicate the anime... so all too often I got beat down pretty bad.

By the time the remakes came, Whitney was left crying before she even knew what was happening! (Unless I was nuzlocking, then it was mostly down to luck with regards to my team members)
    Looking for Safari Friend Codes. All welcome ^_^
    My code: 3437-3295-3440
    I'm Flying with Woobat, Farfetch'd and Tropius
    PM me and I'll add you back

Am i seriously the only one who traded drowsee for machop? Im pretty sure thats why it was there, since you didnt have access to a fighting type yet in the game. Ahh memories
    3DS: 1848-2391-0198
    "There are bad ways to win-- and good ways to lose. What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which. A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all... - Grimsley"
    “In our minds and in our hearts, we feel that hardcore music should stay out of big business and stay in the streets, where it belongs. All you kids out there, always, keep the faith!” -- Raymond "Raybeez" Barbieri (11/27/61 - 09/11/97) R.I.P.

Spoiler:- Friend Safari:

^

What he said, Whitney wasn't difficult after that.

She usually gave me trouble unless I did the drowzee-machop trade, but last year I figured it out!

She kept trying to spam me with attract and rollout, so I spammed her right back. Pidgeotto used mud-slap until Miltank could barely hit anything, then Goldeen confused Miltank with Supersonic and then tail-whipped her defences right down. After letting all that wear her down, one Horn Attack ended it all! I know it was a long, hard and complicated way of doing it, but seeing Miltank so blind and confused and helpless after all the times it flattened me, doing it this way was oh so much more satisfying than landing two Karate-Chops with a traded Machop.
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

Current Y team (champions)

Current X team (6th gym badge won)

Back in Crystal days I just trained my Quilava to a respectable level and taught it Rollout. Once Whitney sent out her Miltank we would Rollout each other. It was fun.
    ---------------
    3DS Friend Code

Signature done by yours truly. Check out full version here!
    [Normal]
    [Safari]
    Smeargle / Audino / Lillipup
    Pokemon X: Rorie (Main)
    ---------------
    TEG Fairy Division Klefki Rank Trainer
    ---------------
    Current Shinies: Gogoat (Not tradeable), Krabby (Tradeable)
    Current Masuda Method Pokemon: Honedge (48 eggs, paused)

Well with my Quilava and Flaffy, I was able to paralyze it and use ember... However that was Soulsilver. With silver and crystal, I just used raw power from Quilava.... Which worked on the third gym try lol

Using facts, it's obvious that Miltank was overpowered at low levels. HAving around 505 base stats is just as strong as many final evolution pokemon (Much better than those damn bugs you all own) so it's like pitting a Quilava against an Alakazam.
    Black 2 FC: 0047 0978 3613

Credit to Astral Shadow

Check out my new RPG and join it:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Serpent-PG-13

I've never had any trouble with her. I've beaten her every time through HeartGold and SoulSilver. And even back in G/S/C. When I still had really no Idea what I was doing. I just beat her with Quilava and Smokescreen xD

i had silver and i'll tell you what i did to beat whitey: female ghastly+hypnosis+machop+mud-slap+karate chop=epic victory. of course...after my 1st battle against pkmn from a gym underling, i always planned for an absolute victory, exploiting type weaknesses and combining status conditions( my toughtest gym fight truly was clair, cuz kindra was the first pkmn i ever plan against...since its only true weakness was dragon at the time and proved resilient to all stratedgical forms).
    Nobunaga Oda; During Japan's Sengoku Period he brought Japan to its knees with his tactical prowess and military might...and thanks to Nintendo, he can own Ash Ketchum in Pkmn Battles...Bwahahahahah!!!
    3DS FC: 5327-2287-6202; Nickname: Tai
    Pkmn Trainer Chireru:
    My Ideal Pokemon style: Double Battle Master

Miltanks Rollout was really annoying plus Whitney would heal it. I had my big brother beat Whitney for me in Gold cuz she was to hard lol

I don't know... I just know I lost to her like 50 times in a row T_T
        Spoiler:- Bugs:

So I was building quite a nice winning streak on random wifi battles, having beaten my way through countless Garchomps, Volcoronas, Aegislash and Mega Blazikens. Then my streak was utterly broken by a Vivillon, who completely swept my team.

I laughed it off as a one off sort of thing, since the guy deserved props for using it after all. But just as I was starting to build another win streak another Vivillon trainer showed up and it happened again. I am living in perpetual fear that the next trainer I face will have a happy, smiling murder butterfly on their team.

Pokemon #666 indeed.

Because their Pokemon's level were low.

i actually don't remember anything except that i got lugia and suicune in crystal

claimed regirock

Ten years later, and Whitney still causes rage quits.
    "Move forward, and never fear failure."

Without that Machop, it becomes very hard. It had Attract & Milk Drink which ensured that it out-lived your pokemon.

I actually recently played through a Crystal remake on my computer and it wasn't as difficult as I had imagined. Although it was a Nuzlocke and intended to use my Geodude against her Miltank, what really helped me was my Slowpoke and Gastly. Because my Slowpoke had Oblivious, Attract was nullified. What I did was continuously Growl at Miltank to ensure that her Rollout wouldn't do damage and then put her to sleep with either Yawn or Hypnosis. Then I sent out Gastly once she was asleep to Curse her, then switch back to Slowpoke to tank her hits until Curse would finish sapping her HP. I was surprised how easy of a win it was even after losing my female Geodude that would've been perfect for the battle.

Either strategize to end that devil cow, or find a Fighting type. There's also Heracross that people apparently have so much trouble finding. I have one in Crystal on my phone. I actually vowed to not make any progress in the game until I'd get a Heracross for my main team. Lo and behold, I found my Hera-tree in Azalea and trained that beetle to take that cow down.
    Last edited by ~CallOfTheIndie~; 29th January 2014 at 1:13 AM.
    Planned OR Team

Team Pose by Astral Shadow.
    DA Account here

Proud owner of my childhood partner, Feraligatr ♡

Whitney was the hardest gym in the pokemon series. I was stuck on her for so long I lost all my money and I had level 30s.
    I've been stuck for 7 months.
    It's like, it uses rollout on my pidgeot so i switch out to my meganium and it uses stomp and does half of my HP. I'm about to kill it and it uses attract. While I can't attack, t keeps using that healing move. Then it uses rollout and kills my meganium. I switch back to Pidgeot and use arial ace and it has red HP. whitney super potions and it has most of it's health. I'm about to kill it and it uses attract and does the same thing to my meganium until it dies. Then I get out my Ampharos, my last pokemon. it's a female, so attract won't do anything. I usually think I'm safe. I get it in red HP and the miltank uses that milk move. I attack and i miss. Uses the move again. Full health. Uses rollout and I attack it, getting it in red again. Uses rollout again, critical hit. I miss. Rollout, critical hit. She switches back to clefairy, clefairy used metronome. Hyper beam. It knocks out some of my HP, nearly killing me from the rollouts before. I search my bag for a potion but there is none. I used them all and have 0 cash. Miltank comes and defeats me with a stomp. I rage and play again next week. Same thing happens.

I never really struggled with her because of the Machop trade. I just used my other Pokemon to KO the Clefairy so I'd have the Machop for Miltank.
    FC: 1778-9489-4489 IGN: King Arceus
    Safari: Ferroseed, Klang, Bronzong
    Guides I've written:

VGC 2015 Season: 104 CP

I only recall really struggling with her when I was younger and had no idea what I was doing. Nowadays she's really easy to strategize around- if you don't trade for the Machop, any good Rock-type that happens to be female can easily take hits from her all day. Or you can paralyze/put her to sleep and wear her down slowly.

Current mono-type: TFL, Round 4
    Game: Black 2 (6/8)

Regions cleared: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova | (More? Let's finish these first~)

I think when everyone was younger all they cared about was moves that did damage :/. So that's probably why it was so hard
    Pokemon Y 3DS FC - 2079 7045 5719 (PM me if you add me ^_^.)
    Trophy Case :~) : Flawless (Roaming) Shiny Latias from Emerald /w my OT (Racks/14403) Pic!
    Flawless Shiny Mew from Japanese Emerald /w my OT (コサブロウ/41447) Pic!
    31/14/31/31/31/31 Shiny Chansey (Caught in the Fire Red safari zone!) /w my OT (Iceburn/47170) Pic!
    31/31/31/23/31/31 Shiny Tauros (Caught in the Fire Red safari zone!) /w my OT (Pudding/12556) Pic!

In my first time on Pokemon Silver my only Pokemon was Quilava and Pidgeotto. Rollout crushed me

I just spammed Flame Wheel, and when Quilava and the rest of my Pokémon went down, somehow my Bellsprout managed to defeat it with Vine Whip.
    Last edited by PikachuFan91; 11th March 2014 at 3:03 PM. Reason: more clarification

well when most of played the game we were still newbies to the pokemon era.
    plus i think the milktank was a pretty intimidating pokemon at that stage in the game :P
    for me it was :P
    Well, goto my website Gameqik if you need a break and play some cool and awesome games!
    Games like Earn to Die, Warfare, and Papa's Gameria are all up there :P
    Come'on man, you know you need a break, go for it and get me some lunch money!

On a serious note guys, thats my website, its still growing so i would appreciate it if you checked it out and helped me promote it

http://www.gameqik.net/

Damn attract, I had all male Pokemon, which was obviously a mistake.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast