Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the Pokegirls be limited to one gen only?

Default Should the Pokegirls be limited to one gen only?

I've always wondered.. Ash seems to be able to be allowed to travel and grow (OS to DP), well until he gets reset like in BW. Never really watched XYZ/Sun and Moon though.

So I've wondered how the general audience would feel if the Pokegirls could be around for say, 2-3 gens at least? I wondered when Dawn became a coordinator like in the steps of May, I thought maybe what would have happened if May was still the female protagonist with Dawn being a rival. Would they have to "reset" May or any Pokegirl like they do to Ash (ie - just Pikachu, etc) just to keep them around for another gen or two. Would people get tired of that kind of stuff happening?

How would you feel if say, May was the female lead for 2 series or Serena stayed around for a few gens?

I think one generation is good enough for each Pokegirl. I don't want them to get stale like Brock in DP nor "reset" like Ash. It could hurt their character.
    Last edited by spyro39; 7th April 2017 at 6:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spyro39 View Post
    I think one generation is good enough for each Pokegirl. I don't want them to get stale like Brock in DP nor "reset" like Ash. It could hurt their character.
    I think maybe 2 gens at the very most would be cool. The first gen to show an arc as a newbie and then the second to show them as an experienced trainer. I know people would argue about Ash's mascot anime status but all the resets, getting rid of teams, seem kind of cheap tbh..

This gen's companions could stick around for longer, since there's lots of them!!

But they probably want to show off characters from the new games.. So maybe if the girl is special, or has a close ship. Otherwise, no..
    { We keep praying and looking to the skies }

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBoost View Post
    This gen's companions could stick around for longer, since there's lots of them!!

But they probably want to show off characters from the new games.. So maybe if the girl is special, or has a close ship. Otherwise, no..
    Unfortunately Serena left despite that ship that some speculated would keep her on the show longer. I always found the creators/producers reasons for getting rid of the characters kind of odd, somewhat sexist too talking about how they need "new eye candy" every gen and how they love designing the girl characters when there are many usable male characters as well. But it is Ash's story being retold over and over (start with Pikachu, meet a few friends, travel a region collecting badges, catch a team, lose the tournament, final adventures, say goodbye to the friends and the Pokemon caught except Pikachu and then repeat).

Just one gen is not enough. Female protags like Serena and Dawn should've stayed in the series for at least 2 generations... but alas, the producers/writers couldn't do that because of their tradition of switching main girls every new gen. It can't be helped.
    Last edited by NPT; 7th April 2017 at 9:33 AM.

One gen is enough. But having specials featuring them every now and then would be good though.

Answer is NO, they should last long enough to allow them reach their full potential. Get enough character development to establish in end well rounded character and set up plot and story planning for each female protagonist si that she could eventually bear fruits of her hard work and meet satisfying closure.

Seriously, how many out there can say that Misty for example, Iris, even May or Serena received enough exposure. Enough development and fleshing out, so that more wasn't needed?
    Especially gym leader main girls or most recent one who got replaced when its pretty obvious they had potential to deliver and do much more.

Moreover do we really care so little for Ash traveling companions that instead of encouraging writers to put more work and thought into them keeping them fresh and enjoyable through new unexpected plots, we rather support alternative and even encourage having someone dropped unfinished with potential for further growth ending wasted?

Because that's what happens to all pokemon main female heroines. They end up forgotten never to be seen or heard from again.
    Do we ever see Misty, Maya, Iris etc anymore? Follow ups, sequels to their own stories? Their impact on story and friendship with Ash being ever brought up and acknowledged?

Do we ever get to see updates, chances to close down their own unresolved subplots, more character development or adventures?

NO, they are once they get replaced with pointless new female companion abandoned and left to rot in past like they never mattered, offered anything for pokemon show, ever had role in Ash journey or existed for that matter.

I mean i certainly i don't see any appeal in constantly adding new companions when there exist fresh potential and multiple variables through which already molded characters could be taken forming groundwork toward stable cast, anime filled with continuity and follow characters grow in more complex new ways.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 7th April 2017 at 3:27 PM.

I think it depends on who exactly they are and how important they are to the group. If it's a younger sibling situation like Bonnie then that's not really a problem. It adds more dynamic and plot lines for the group as a whole. If it's something like all the female trial captains, the female game protagonist, AND someone like Lille all traveling throughout a huge region like Sinnoh or Unova then it would be overkill.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

It depends on how they're handled and what they can do after their arc is finished imo. I could see Lillie staying and be the one to challenge gyms instead of Ash, if she ever gets the desire to try them and the necessary character development.
    However if their story is pretty much done then no they shouldn't stay past their own series. So Misty, May, Dawn, Iris, and especially Serena shouldn't come back as a main character because of that.

yes, because if they overstay their run, they'll fade into the background and be overshadowed by new characters. it'll be DP brock all over again.

Misty is a complicated case. First, the fact that she is the first girl and they've never had a precedent for a previous girl(or even continuing it beyond the Indigo League in the original plan) gave her a grandfather clause of sorts. There's also the backlash from Tracey. By the end of Johto they may have wanted to take a risk, and for the most part it paid off. If they had the prescience to know this would be a long-lasting franchise, they would've probably replaced her in Johto
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl Fan~ View Post
    I could see Lillie staying and be the one to challenge gyms instead of Ash, if she ever gets the desire to try them and the necessary character development.
    She didn't promote anything in a new gen. She will fly out of the series immidiately after SM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    Misty is a complicated case. First, the fact that she is the first girl and they've never had a precedent for a previous girl(or even continuing it beyond the Indigo League in the original plan) gave her a grandfather clause of sorts. There's also the backlash from Tracey. By the end of Johto they may have wanted to take a risk, and for the most part it paid off. If they had the prescience to know this would be a long-lasting franchise, they would've probably replaced her in Johto
    They only kept Misty because there was no potential replacement for her except maybe Whitney.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateNinja View Post

They only kept Misty because there was no potential replacement for her except maybe Whitney.
    No, they kept Misty because they weren't planning on continuing after the Indigo League was over. There's a reason why Kanto through Johto is considered one long series.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderingMist View Post
    So...what's the likelihood of them keeping the nickname thing in the dub? Betting they'll go with Snowball if they decide to keep it.

Would you like to know whereabouts of the London Underground?

Taken from Serebii Episode pictures EP 928

I legitimately believe that the girl should leave after their respective generations, travel and grow on their own, and come back to help the new girl just like May did to Dawn during the Wallace Cup.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

"Resistance. Rebellion. You will burn these ideas away."

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I legitimately believe that the girl should leave after their respective generations, travel and grow on their own, and come back to help the new girl just like May did to Dawn during the Wallace Cup.
    Yes. Misty was a special case since she was the first one and even then it still wrapped up Togepi's development. I believe Iris also would have gotten this had XYZ lasted two years instead of one. As it stands, she sadly only got a special.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderingMist View Post
    So...what's the likelihood of them keeping the nickname thing in the dub? Betting they'll go with Snowball if they decide to keep it.

Would you like to know whereabouts of the London Underground?

Taken from Serebii Episode pictures EP 928

Each character should only stay at most 2 Gen (this includes Ash as well). All the members of the group leaving the show at the same time makes the most sense to me and leaves the least plot holes, but I guess the anime has other plans and decided to keep Ash for over 20 years.

Depends on how developed each character is by the end of the first generation in which they appeared in.

Misty I think, could've grown further as a character for one more generation, but I think she got a decent enough sendoff in Gen 2 and it felt like the right time.

May had grown into a formidable pokemon coordinator by the end of the Battle Frontier filler saga and I think it was her time too to leave.

Given that Dawn was in the final two of the Pokemon Contest League, she had definitely grown and had a good run.

The problem with Iris is that she did not have a defined goal like her predecessors beyond 'developing a closer bond with her pokemon' and training to be a strong trainer. She accomplished half of that at the end of the Unova saga but I think she could have stuck around for another generation to become stronger. Still, I wasn't really fond of her as a character and don't really miss her.

Serena's story arc felt a bit rushed to me and I really enjoyed her as a character, as well as her relationship with Ash. I would've liked to have seen her travel to Aloha with Ash and I'm not really interested in the new Pokegirl companion.

All in all, no they shouldn't be limited to one gen but I think Serena is the only one I would've liked to have seen in more than one generation.
    If you're a fan of Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, DC Comics and Movies, Fear The Walking Dead, GTA, Heroes, Mass Effect or Saints Row, hit me up with a VM, I'm always eager to talk about things I like with fellow fans.

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/nmgcc9.png[/IMG]
    Credit goes to AvengingAngel for the banner.

She didn't promote anything in a new gen. She will fly out of the series immidiately after SM.

Well yeah she'll most likely leave at the end of SM, but it would be amazing if they shook things up and had someone other than Ash do gyms, as well as keeping an older character for another series, before writing her off.

The writers hate keeping Ash's friends for long, with the exception of Brock. Funny how he was useless, yet stayed for a decade.

IMO, yes. I loved Dawn and Serena, but if they had stayed longer, they would've eventually outgrown their usefulness and gotten stale. :c

In cases like Serena where more could've been done such as exploring Serena's decision to be a pokemon coordinator, then I can see how longer screen-time would be heavily justified. I can also see Dawn being justified as well since we only witnessed her adjust to a world that she grew up in for years rather than a foreign world such as Hoenn or Kanto where she has no such experience or familiarity. Frankly, I'm actually still staggered that Serena didn't stay for longer than XY at least.

Serena staying after XY would have degraded her character development even more because it'd show that she's still dependent on Ash rather than becoming more independent. Her leaving was for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl Fan~ View Post
    Serena staying after XY would have degraded her character development even more because it'd show that she's still dependent on Ash rather than becoming more independent. Her leaving was for the best
    I don't necessarily see the issue with that. A character can still grow even with the support of others. I think it's the fact that Dawn had room to grow and rigorously trained and interacted with Ash that made her a stellar character and was something that Serena was lacking. Focusing on Serena's focus as a coordinator would've prompted more meaningful interactions with Ash since she'd have to grapple the world of battling rather than sitting on the sidelines and focusing on her own combinations. Frankly, I think it'd be rather significant to witness Serena reconcile with battling and understand that combinations on their lonesome do not make you a stellar trainer.

Also because no-one likes Whitney
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast