Thread: Rock Tunnel, Mr. Fuji and Marowak (Ghost)

Default Rock Tunnel, Mr. Fuji and Marowak (Ghost)

Following on from my thread last month about the lack of Benga in the Pokemon Anime and how people would've used him, I'd like to discuss a few other notable absentees from the series that mean more to me.

I first started following the Pokemon series in 1998 as an 8 year old. Some internet morons may incorrectly refer to me as a "genwunner", but I've stuck with the series for the best part of 18 years and try my best to embrace both the old and the new. Despite this, as Pokemon Blue was the first game I bought, Generation 1 will always be a special one for me.

Now, during the first generation of Pokemon games, there were a few fairly prominent parts of the games that didn't feature at all in the anime. The first that springs to mind was Rock Tunnel. As I traveled through the Kanto region for the first time, without the benefit of widely accessible Internet, I had no idea you could receive HM05 - Flash from one of Professor Oak's aides on Route 2. I went through Rock Tunnel without Flash and it took me ages to get through. My brother, who always played at a slower rate to me because of his lack of attention span, discovered Flash, which made things a lot easier for us. Either way, I always felt Rock Tunnel was a fairly big part of the first game and should've featured in the main series anime in some way. It did feature briefly in Pokemon Origins, but literally briefly.

Mr. Fuji, Pokemon Tower, Marowak (Ghost) and the orphaned Cubone was another fairly prominent part of the Generation 1 games that didn't feature fully in the anime. Bulbapedia reckons that Mr. Fuji from the games = Dr. Fuji from Mewtwo Strikes Back, and Pokemon Tower kinda featured when Ash went to get a Ghost Pokemon, but not exactly true to their game forms, or in any great detail. I can sorta understand why the ghost of a Marowak killed by Team Rocket and it's orphaned child didn't appear as it is pretty dark for such a light anime, but I always felt it could've made for a good story.

I feel Rock Tunnel could've been a chance for Ash or one of the other characters to obtain the Flash HM, a Pokemon that knows Flash, or just join up with a character with a Pokemon that knows Flash. Maybe someone could've caught something in Rock Tunnel? I've seen in the "If You Were In Charge of the Anime" thread, some people have given Ash a Cubone and/ or Marowak. I think a Cubone/ Marowak could've been good on Ash's team for a short story arc, ŕ la Primeape.

So anyway, as with my Benga in the Best Wishes series thread, how would you have used Rock Tunnel and the whole Mr. Fuji-Pokemon Tower-Marowak (Ghost)-orphaned Cubone thing in the anime?

Rock Tunnel

I kind of like the idea that this could have been used to show Giovanni. The idea I had is that while going through the tunnel, the group finds the way blocked by an apparent cave-in. They then encounter a man who owns a Persian and Rhyhorn who reveals that the rocks blocking the path is in fact a large Onix. The man battles the Onix and captures it, allowing everyone to be on their way. The main trio don't actually know that the man they encountered is actually the leader of Team Rocket, and the viewers don't get confirmation of this until the very end when Jessie, James and Meowth are shown to be talking to him on a video phone. - Incidentally, this episode would mean that Giovanni's known pokemon would be exactly the same as his in-game team when battled under the Game Corner in Pokemon Yellow version.

Cubone and Marowak
    This is a bit more difficult to cover in the main anime, but has already been addressed in Pokemon Origins. I suppose at best, Mr Fuji could have been seen taking care of sick/abandoned pokemon and Brock ends up taking Cubone with him. I feel that that's how the main anime would have done it, anyway.
    Yellow League Champions

Zappy Charlie Cabbage Leonardo Penelope Chuck

Blue [Monotype Poison] 3rd Badge
    Cabbage Jr Hornet Elizabeth Bathilda

Personally, I'd really want Rock Tunnel to involve the darkness and Flash somehow, but I like your idea with Giovanni a lot. That would've been a great way to introduce his character.

Despite Team Rocket, Mr. Fuji and the orphaned Cubone making such a great story, yes, it is unfortunately too dark for this particular anime series.

Quote Originally Posted by MattySadler View Post
    Personally, I'd really want Rock Tunnel to involve the darkness and Flash somehow, but I like your idea with Giovanni a lot. That would've been a great way to introduce his character.

Despite Team Rocket, Mr. Fuji and the orphaned Cubone making such a great story, yes, it is unfortunately too dark for this particular anime series.
    I don't think Flash really exists within the anime. There have been plenty of dark caves that they have made with way through with the use of torches. And there have been a few times when a pokemon guided the way - I'm fairly certain Ash's Charmander let the way a couple of times with his tail.
    Yellow League Champions

Zappy Charlie Cabbage Leonardo Penelope Chuck

Blue [Monotype Poison] 3rd Badge
    Cabbage Jr Hornet Elizabeth Bathilda