• Cresselia

1 5.88%
  • Heatran

2 11.76%
  • Arceus

0 0%

Thread: Shortchanged Legendaries

Default Shortchanged Legendaries

In almost each Generation, there's a Legendary Pokémon who gets the short end of the stick who doesn't get a movie or major storyline and/or is fairly underwhelming.

This thread is to discuss the poor dopes who were woefully underused/misused in the Show/Movies and vote for the most screwed over of them.

I'll start by voting for Kyogre & Groudon. They barely appeared in "their" movies, and the episodes featuring them were among the series worst. Let's hope the Act II of the Mega-Evolution mini-series can fix that.

Not far behind is Ho-oh, who's done more as a Pokeball summon in the Super Smash Bros. games than it has EVER done in the TV Show.

Also found Arceus poorly handled. If Rayquaza could blow up a meteor, then there's no way arceus couldn't have. And go figure the God of Pokeworld would be vulnerable to the series' mascot :|

What Legendaries do you think got a bad deal in animation
    Last edited by Jangobadass; 5th November 2014 at 11:40 PM.
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse Wii U: Available Christmas!

Heatran: man of the year, such beast, should have been Ash's gen 4 fire types.

The whole weather trio. Groudon technically wasn't even in a movie, that was jut the werd evil thing that didn't really make any sense. Was looking forward to a kyogre vs groudon fight but all we got was that one episode where they were fighting for maybe a minute or two. That meant rayquaza had nothing to do other than be thrown into Destiny Deoxys to look like a jerk for the majority of the movie.

The Lake Guardians were treated rather poorly. I mean they were fully seen in what? Three episodes? Their powers weren't used very much and if Uxie could erase memories by opening its eyes then why didn't it use this power when being pursued by Team Galatic and make them forget all about it and the other two? The plot would have also been better as a movie. And then there is Regigigas in the movie. For a movie tie in promo giveaway, it was rather sad to see it only seen for like five minutes and all it did was help the Mamoswine prevent the glacier from causing massive destruction. And then there's Meloetta, Tornadus, Thundrus, and Landorus. I mean sure the story arc ithey were in was good and all but it would have been much better for a movie. The whole underwater temple part with Tornadus, Thundrus, and Landorus would have been more epic IF it wasn't limited to 30 minutes. I mean the whole thing should have been part of a 40 minute fierce battle scene. And the other episodes showcasing the latter three Pokemon made them seem a bit weak if you ask me.
    Last edited by Captain Jigglypuff; 6th November 2014 at 1:11 AM.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jigglypuff View Post
    and if Uxie could erase memories by opening its eyes then why didn't it use this power when being pursued by Team Galatic and make them forget all about it and the other two?
    This is all just speculation, as I'm not sure if it can happen with Uxie (I'm probably thinking of Mesprit), but the way I see it, I feel it doesn't just erase memories. I think it can make the person virtually brain dead depending on the amount of memories/knowledge wiped, or it can "devolve" the intelligence to instinctual levels. (We're not told how much of the memories are erased--at least Mewtwo can pick and choose the memories to erase without damaging the brain.) And that's really dark for Pokémon (can't scare the kiddies), so it's never going to happen to anyone unless the bastard(s) rightfully deserved it--apparently Hunter J was not quite so-rightfully deserved of such punishments.

I honestly feel every single Legendary that doesn't have a large, positive popularity to it gets the short end of the stick, though it still happens to a large majority of them. One would think that every saga will foreshadow the importance of that region's Legendaries, and thus give them some kind of plot importance. Yet most of the time, they just show up in a few episodes and that's it, you never hear of or see them again, and they don't usually leave an impact on the rest of the saga. The movies treat them better, but not all of them.

If you ask me, I feel like Ho-oh's been cheated out of things. There was that cameo in the eighth movie, but it turned out to be Mew the whole time. Then there was the whole fiasco about the 13th movie in that the teaser trailer showed Lugia and Ho-oh fighting, but the end result had nothing to do with either of them, and so Ho-oh never got an official movie reveal. Even in the anime, Ho-oh just tends to be glossed over unless Ash decides to remember it exists because he saw it when he started his journey. So at least in the anime, it's possible Ho-oh will get a chance to show up due to the connections between it and Ash, but what the role will be is anyone's guess. And I don't feel that Ho-oh will end up getting what it rightfully deserves.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I'm fine with Legendaries having cameos like Lugia in Hi Ho Silver and the episode with Marley as long as it has a good plot but if you are going to do something big like the entire Meloetta story arc, please do it in a movie. Aside from the episodes with the Wallace Cup, all the other episodes could have been a movie setting up to the temple part.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

To tell the truth, I think EVERY SINGLE Legendary + Mystical Pokemon are illy treated in anime in terms of story plot, especially starting since AG era. The only ones I think it is plausible and corresponding to the inherent legendary and mystical status of the Legendary/Mystical Pokemon are merely M01/02/03 and M04 being the borderline, where all were before AG era. For the later movies and TV series, demystification and demythologization is getting worse and worse.

If I have to list them all, this will turn out to be a super long post, so I might just summarize my general thought on this issue.

In the games, Legendary Pokemons are rare and powerful, yet mysterious. They are not to be seen by ordinary civilians, appears only at the time where there are major disaster that calls for it. They are so powerful that when they wield their power, either causing a major disaster or somehow changing the environment. They are impossible to be caught by commoners, even when someone did attempted in capturing, the Pokemon will break the Pokeball without any difficulty. They usually don't approach human being on their own, oppositely they try to stay away from human being as far as possible (Except the manmade Legendaries like Mewtwo, Genesect, Deoxys, and/or even the Regis). Moreover, many of the Legendary Pokemons are found inside some "temple" is already a sign that in the past they were awed and venerated by human beings.

But in the anime, especially post-OS era, they are not epic as they set out to be in the game.
    They are caught by common human beings. (The worst example: Latias by a Nurse Joy!!!!!)
    They approach to human beings on their own wills, or happens to living in human civilizations from the very beginning. (Every single time in the movie, Ash just happens to bump onto these rare Pokemon, and getting involved in events related to them. It is not that Ash and his friends go to look for the Legendary/Mystical Pokemon for some specific missions to be accomplish)
    They are used in mundane daily events of the civilians that feels like wasting their power. (e.g. Wishing a lot of candies to Jirachi by Max, such a kiddie wish....; The trainer battles in Pokemon Leagues and Battle Frontier, don't forget battles between trainers are mundane events of civilians in the Pokeworld; The worst one: using the Beast Trio in the Pokemon Baccer World Cup!! Though they are merely fake illusions, but it set a super bad example to the term "Legendary Pokemon")
    They are not powerful enough to the expectation of general fandom. (Arceus in M12, is that really the Alpha God of Pokemon as it almost being killed by just a meteorite?)
    The Legendary/Mystical Pokemon are weak comparing to the machineries and robots! (In many of the movies, they are so much manmade airships/robots/towers/devices that will even outplay the power of Legendary Pokemons. Moreover, at the end it is those scientific gimmicks that save the day. Tree of Beginning in M08 is not manmade thing, but I account it as the same kind of problem in here)
    Other than these general problems, the story-writing itself is another thing that make the Legendary Pokemon looks and feels irrational. (Most obvious: the female Mewtwo in M16!!! Two different version of M14 for one single event, if this can be accounted as the problem; The crushing of dimensions being the original causes of M10/11/12 is another illogical plot element IMO)

Pokemon anime never ever utilize the Legendary Pokemon in a satisfying manner expected in many of the fandom, all they did are just tended to screw the original settings as mentioned in the core game series and Pokedex entries, or implant another different kind of settings that contradicts those original settings.
    Well, Pokemon anime even screwed on the overall story-writing of the protagonist, so Legendary Pokemons won't have better treatment than Ash, as wasting good story potential is the general problem of the entire Pokemon anime.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

I think the plot of M12 would have flowed much better had Arceus actually killed pikachu and the COTDs along with TRio so that ash's trip back would have some real tension behind it.
    Last edited by LizardonX; 18th November 2014 at 11:20 PM.

Groudon and Kyogre, the animation kinda sucked and they didn't do the climate change thing well.

Ho-Oh's an icon and I'm pressed that it's constantly snubbed out of a movie role.

I'd have to vote for Ho-Oh. With Groudon and Kyogre getting their own episodes in AG, Kyogre getting a small role in the Manaphy movie and Rayquaza with its appearance in the Mega Evolution special and with all 3 possibly set to appear in the next one, Ho-Oh has to be the one they shortchanged the most. It barely got a minute of screen time throughout the anime's 17 years of airtime, which is pretty pathetic, especially since it's supposedly so connected with Ash's journey. I really hope it gets a starring role in the final movie, fighting alongside Ash. Man, that would be epic

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Heatran: man of the year, such beast, should have been Ash's gen 4 fire types.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that Ash should've captured a goddamn Legendary Pokémon by now! I hope he fills his sixth Kalos slot with one
    Last edited by Blood Red; 21st December 2014 at 2:30 PM. Reason: Sentence structure :/

My deviantART page, check it out if you want.

I think a problem with legendaries in the anime in general - especially event-exclusive ones - is that they are just shoved into a movie and then never seen again. I'll call this the Porygon Effect, since they're doomed to only be featured once and then never appear again for more than a few seconds.

Its programming was modified to enable it to travel through alien dimensions. Seems there might have been an error...
    [Porygon-Z || Virtual Pokémon || #474 || Normal || Anime debut: M15]

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Star View Post
    I think a problem with legendaries in the anime in general - especially event-exclusive ones - is that they are just shoved into a movie and then never seen again. I'll call this the Porygon Effect, since they're doomed to only be featured once and then never appear again for more than a few seconds.
    Mew, Celebi and Jirachi have multiple appearances in the anime, so they're certainly not one-shots.

Mew was in Movie 1 and Lucario. Celebi got Movie 4, a filler in Battle Frontier, and was in the 13th movie. Jirachi got the 6th movie and an episode in BW.

I think the only exception so far is Manaphy who hasn't appeared outside of Movie 9.

I wouldn't call any of these pokemon shortchanged but I would have loved to see more of Cresselia.

My ideal battle ever!

my vote goes to either Ho-oh or Kyogre or Groudon, but now since they might be in the next XY movie, I'm now thinking that Ho-oh should get the title of shortchanged legendaries. Iirc we've only seen a real Ho-oh once in the 1st episode and the other Ho-oh appearances were either flashbacks or another Pokemon that transformed into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn+Serena Fan View Post
    my vote goes to either Ho-oh or Kyogre or Groudon, but now since they might be in the next XY movie, I'm now thinking that Ho-oh should get the title of shortchanged legendaries. Iirc we've only seen a real Ho-oh once in the 1st episode and the other Ho-oh appearances were either flashbacks or another Pokemon that transformed into it.
    Ho-oh also appeared in the second to last Johto episode where Ash sees the same one flying in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Ho-oh also appeared in the second to last Johto episode where Ash sees the same one flying in the air.
    Ah yeah, forgot about that one. Still it only had 2 short appearances that didn't even last more than 10 seconds at the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

How about Raikou? If I'm not mistaken, it was only in the anime three times: The Legend of Thunder, which presumably takes place in another continuity, some random Johto episode, and only for a few seconds, and M13, which is part of Gen 4.

Its programming was modified to enable it to travel through alien dimensions. Seems there might have been an error...
    [Porygon-Z || Virtual Pokémon || #474 || Normal || Anime debut: M15]