• Paul

0 0%
  • Harley

0 0%
  • Alain

0 0%

Thread: Most Popular Male Character?

Default Most Popular Male Character?

Which male human character from the pokemon anime do you think has the biggest fanbase?

I say Brock. He seems to be universally loved, and the least controversial chararcter.

I do see good amounts of popularity for DP and XY Ash as well, though the issue with Ash will always be that every iteration of him will be loved by some and hated by some.
    Quote Originally Posted by LilligantLewis View Post
    "Because I like BW and SM when a lot of people don't, if someone criticizes SM, even if it's a valid criticism, I will suddenly complain that no one criticized XY in the same way. I will then proceed to pretend the thread is being raided by XY fanboys even though I'm the only one who brought up XY in the first place".

Quote Originally Posted by Akkipeddi View Post
    I say Brock. He seems to be universally loved, and the least controversial chararcter.

I do see good amounts of popularity for DP and XY Ash as well, though the issue with Ash will always be that every iteration of him will be loved by some and hated by some.
    Yeah that sounds about right. Other evidence would be that poll for which 3 characters would fans like to see travel with Ash and over 70% picked Brock as one of the options which was over double the number of people who picked the runner-up (Serena) as one of their choices.
    Peakachu Progression: Surge2 (Kanto) -> Drake (OI) -> Clair2 (Johto) -> Tyson (Hoenn) -> Brandon3 (BF) -> Tobias (Sinnoh) -> Alain3 (Kalos)

Ash-Greninja is Ash’s #1! (well at least until Z-move Peakachu happens)

"My ideals will shatter the truth of this world!"

Cilan, apparently Japan loved him (due to his VA) I've seen people of the West enjoy him as well. I hear most people claim they were tired of Brock by the time DP rolled around
    "It's weird people refuse to watch BW yet hate Iris for the sole purpose that she calls Ash a kid. Her catchphrase is supposed to be ironic, she's a kid herself.

Brock, no contest.

I'd say Ash and then Paul in 2nd and 3rd place.

No contest here ash is the universally most loved character here as well as hated too( due to his league failure), but still its the fact that he is the poster boy of the anime and considered one of the most popular characters of all time. Actually acc to wiki he along with son goku and sailor moon are credited with revolutionizing japan's anime to wet.

Quote Originally Posted by AshxSatoshi View Post
    Cilan, apparently Japan loved him (due to his VA) I've seen people of the West enjoy him as well. I hear most people claim they were tired of Brock by the time DP rolled around
    If I am correct his VA voiced light yagami from Death Note and rintaro okabe from Steins gate. That's pretty iconic names. Even dawn's VA voiced winry rockbell from FMA and paine in final fantasy series.
    Last edited by ash&charizardfan; 9th November 2017 at 7:18 AM.
    Favourite Characters- Ash, Serena, Lillie, Dawn, Gladion, Cilan, Brock, Cynthia, Kiawe, Lana, Lance, Alain, Steven Stone

Favourite Pokemon- Charizard, Venasaur, Blastoise, Gengar, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Sceptile, Greninja, Garachomp, Infernape, Gliscor, Salamence, Arceus

Watching pokemon for 17 years, grown up while watching this show. Also liked the different characters form different sagas. I hate genwunners.

It's probably between Brock and Ash. I think people being tired of Brock was just their way of saying "Let the poor guy do something other than battle commentary!"
    Hey, the new subs I found do use Snowball. I win.

I enjoy writing.

Some people want to blend into the crowd.
    Some people want to stand out from the crowd.
    I want to be the crowd.

Currently patiently waiting for my crazy theories to pan out.

Spoiler:- THEORIES:

Taken from Serebii Episode pictures EP 928

Easily Brock.

Ash is essentially a caricature. I still see SM Ash looks stupid on the internet and XY/DP Ash have their share of detractors (less for DP Ash). Brock seems universally loved and although maybe should have been retired earlier, was retired so people have fond memories.

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3939-2078 | Woody (Sun) | Moon (Moon)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6300-2045-4545

Brock by miles lol
    Followed by Gary

Tbh Ash probably has more people who like him overall than Gary, but I see very few people who hate/dislike the former two

For game characters you'd have the likes of Red, Ethan, Steven etc

Universally loved will be Brock in that he has the least haters imo, though putting XY and DP Ash in this poll will severely skewer results. Should have left it as Ash and let him win tbh because no matter what, Ash will be the one people love. He has too much moments in each series where people love him whether it's with his Pokemon, his companions or with random characters.

Gary, for flooding the lighthouse at Bill's cape with an all but unstoppable raid of Giovanni's gym, except for Mewtwo, part of the endless mysteries of Pokemon. Gary had a Krabby that was much bigger than Ash's at the mystery if the lighthouse, so he was always better than Ash, a step ahead. You can even see Mewtwo on a panel at Bill's door entrance. But Gary showed true fear against the most powerful Pokemon, immobilizing and holding static in the air Gary's Nidoking and Arcanine in a tenacious grip.
    All fear the raging Typhlosion... ROAR - unleashed from the deepest depths of chaos and the ultimate sea of freedom, a time of untold legends and deep labyrinths of Frenzy and Lightning, the split from peace and the sanctuary of fulfillment reveal this one divine wish... THE LIGHTNING!!!
    Will we make it through victory road? If so, then our last task towards freedom would be to checkmate the dark-sided King at the Game's highest stage for the win! Happiness isn't perfect until it's shared, so let love lay the foundation and point the way!

I chose Gary (coolest guy to reappear) but we all know that it's Brock. And why did you separate Ash's saga selves? They're all the same person. This is for characters, not incarnations. After all, where's the DP Gary, AG Brock, DP Brock, or XY Steven Stone?!?!?! Where's Looker on this poll?!?
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    Mallow-Lillie friendship duo; a bond so close, even the butler ships it!
    -Lady Lana: Full time big sister, part time kickasser
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -SM Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

Love him or hate him, Ash will always be the face of the anime along with Pikachu and will be the most iconic character. Brock would definitely come close. Heck in a Japanese poll of which character you'd like to see again, Brock was the 1st on the list with Serena behind him. I think Paul is also popular especially with his heated rivalry with Ash. Alan is also a pretty popular character especially in Japan.

As for Manga, I think Red is the most popular one and Gold follows behind.

Game-wise, definitely Red and Blue/Gary next behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi no masara View Post
    Alan is also a pretty popular character especially in Japan.
    Really? That makes me really happy, since I actually do like Alain a lot. So people weren't salty over his Doragon Kurou spamming Lizardon X?
    "Because I like BW and SM when a lot of people don't, if someone criticizes SM, even if it's a valid criticism, I will suddenly complain that no one criticized XY in the same way. I will then proceed to pretend the thread is being raided by XY fanboys even though I'm the only one who brought up XY in the first place".

Quote Originally Posted by Akkipeddi View Post
    Really? That makes me really happy, since I actually do like Alain a lot. So people weren't salty over his Doragon Kurou spamming Lizardon X?
    I'm sure there are still people who are salty about the result but as far as I know, Japanese fans moved on already. Besides, his popularity is mostly based on shipping as well. The Japanese fans just loved shipping Alan and Manon together. You can tell by the amount of AlanxManon fanarts and novels you can see, lolz.

No SM Ash option? After today's episode? FOR SHAME!

Quote Originally Posted by DatsRight View Post
    No SM Ash option? After today's episode? FOR SHAME!
    This is regarding the popularity of characters in the Pokémon community as a whole, not our individual preferences. And let's face it, you may adore SM Ash, but overall, most of the community have mixed feelings about SM Ash so far.
    Last edited by Akkipeddi; 9th November 2017 at 8:16 PM.

Since Ash is the main character I don't think he should count.

Anyways I feel like Brock is the most popular by a large margin over the others excluding Ash.
    ~Sailor Saturn~

Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl Fan~ View Post
    Since Ash is the main character I don't think he should count.

Anyways I feel like Brock is the most popular by a large margin over the others excluding Ash.
    We love Brock as much as he does jelly filled donuts.

Ash and Brock

I kind of feel bad for cilan. He had everything, he had personality, style, knowledge about pokemon, battling skills. There were even episodes where ash was the fall guy and cilan was the one winner. Out of all 3rd wheel companions I think cilan was the most solid battler who lost very few times. The only problem was that he was little too perfect to begin with which hampered his development.
    Favourite Characters- Ash, Serena, Lillie, Dawn, Gladion, Cilan, Brock, Cynthia, Kiawe, Lana, Lance, Alain, Steven Stone

Favourite Pokemon- Charizard, Venasaur, Blastoise, Gengar, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Sceptile, Greninja, Garachomp, Infernape, Gliscor, Salamence, Arceus

Watching pokemon for 17 years, grown up while watching this show. Also liked the different characters form different sagas. I hate genwunners.

Quote Originally Posted by ash&charizardfan View Post
    I kind of feel bad for cilan. He had everything, he had personality, style, knowledge about pokemon, battling skills. There were even episodes where ash was the fall guy and cilan was the one winner. Out of all 3rd wheel companions I think cilan was the most solid battler who lost very few times. The only problem was that he was little too perfect to begin with which hampered his development.
    I just realized OP didn't make Cilan option for the poll, too sad. It seems people doesn't know Cilan is popular in Japan.

I like Cilan although I hate his Pokémon team tho.

James.
    Why isn't he an option if Jessie is on the female one, OP?

Going by the poll though I say Brock. He is the most memorable male companion and none will ever live up to his legacy.
    Fanfic Corner
    Best Wishes Rewrite - Ferris Wheel shipping story, Team Rocket vs Team Plasma action (Disclaimer: No Iris)
    Sun/Moon Rewrite - A standalone story with a new lead. (Coming soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzehiko View Post
    I just realized OP didn't make Cilan option for the poll, too sad. It seems people doesn't know Cilan is popular in Japan.

I like Cilan although I hate his Pokémon team tho.
    Cilan is definitely a well known character in Japan. Too bad that he is usually being compared to Brock and is always just being seen as Brock's shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoruagible View Post
    James.
    Why isn't he an option if Jessie is on the female one, OP?

Going by the poll though I say Brock. He is the most memorable male companion and none will ever live up to his legacy.
    Cilan and Clemont are also missing, though I don't care much about Clemont. I do like Cilan though.

And yeah, James should also be an option, his legacy is a lot longer than Brock. I like James a lot, especially during the older days. His bonding moments with his Pokemon sometimes outshines the main characters. Heck, the way how he treated Mime Jr. and chimecho and most of his Pokemon are simply adorable to look at. Sometimes, I feel that James is a good guy that happens to be on the wrong side like Kronk was in the Emperor's new Groove. He's basically a lovable idiot in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi no masara View Post
    Cilan is definitely a well known character in Japan. Too bad that he is usually being compared to Brock and is always just being seen as Brock's shadow.

I hate the fact people hates Cilan just because he's Brock's replacement. Cilan is a good character but there is something that cannot be helped and it is Brock is universally loved even if he had little focus, development or was used as a plot device from AG and on. He is simply the coolest, there is something in his character that even if he lacks something, it does not really matter. I include myself among bunch of people that universally love Brock.

Yet I support Cilan. I do not see him as Brock's shadow, he is unique in his own way