View Poll Results: Which Badge Quest was your fav?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kanto

0 0%
  • Johto

0 0%
  • Hoenn

4 12.50%
  • Sinnoh

17 53.13%
  • Unova

2 6.25%
  • Kalos

9 28.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Badge Quest

Default Favorite Badge Quest

Badge Quest essentially means the episodes/mini arcs focused on gym battles Ash goes through in each region. Which (main) region had the best aggregate quality of gym battles. For me it would be between DP and XY(Z).
    Peakachu Progression: vs Surge (Kanto) -> vs Drake (OI) -> vs Clair (Johto) -> vs Tyson (Hoenn) -> vs Brandon (BF) -> vs Tobias (Sinnoh) -> vs Alain (Kalos)

Ash-Greninja

Hawlucha

Sinnoh badge quest was the best with Hoenn badge quest as a close second,the other badge quests have no rewatchable qualities,especially Kanto.

It's Sinnoh according to me. XY was somewhat similar, though he had to struggle a bit too much for the last one- the too big gap isn't the issue for me, Ash lost once there. It wasn't quite acceptable to me as he already lost one gym battle in Kalos before. The depression arc could have started with Ash loosing to Sawyer and Alain, but a Gym loss didn't seem good to me. Ash didn't have to lose at the Sunnyshore Gym as the Gym battle got postponed, so I prefer Sinnoh.
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!

DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonBattleFanatic- View Post
    Sinnoh badge quest was the best with Hoenn badge quest as a close second.
    Sinnoh I get but Hoenn? The same Region that had the vs Watson fiasco and the vs Tate&Liza DEM. There are some good parts like Ash's character development vs Brawly and the Norman battle was epic but the 2 atrocious battles really should prevent Hoenn from being seriously considered as the best Badge Quest.

EDIT: 345ash-greninja Ash didn't need to loose at the Sunnyshore GYM because had already experienced a devastating loss and subsequent depression episode vs Paul. In XYZ, prior to the 8th gym Ash only had a one-off "bad day" with Greninja against Sawyer though prior to that he did really well against Alain and Diantha so I doubt those battles would upset him. Also Ash was depressed after his gym battle not because he lost, but because he couldn't bring out the best in his Pokémon (especially Greninja) like he previously could.
    Last edited by Genaller; 11th March 2017 at 4:23 PM.
    Peakachu Progression: vs Surge (Kanto) -> vs Drake (OI) -> vs Clair (Johto) -> vs Tyson (Hoenn) -> vs Brandon (BF) -> vs Tobias (Sinnoh) -> vs Alain (Kalos)

Ash-Greninja

Hawlucha

Either Hoenn or Sinnoh. I expect Sinnoh to get votes, so I'll pick Hoenn.

Sinnoh suffered from too much Chimchar/Infernape though. Kalos was pretty good too actually, but sometimes became too flashy over substance.

Token vote to represent Unova because Sinnoh/Hoenn will probably take it by storm.

Helps that Roxie and Elesa are two of my favourite gym leaders across the franchise so yeah.
    3DS Friend Code: 4098-3939-2078 | Woody (Sun) | Chitoge (Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by Genaller View Post
    Sinnoh I get but Hoenn? The same Region that had the vs Watson fiasco and the vs Tate&Liza DEM. There are some good parts like Ash's character development vs Brawly and the Norman battle was epic but the 2 atrocious battles really should prevent Hoenn from being seriously considered as the best Badge Quest.

EDIT: 345ash-greninja Ash didn't need to loose at the Sunnyshore GYM because had already experienced a devastating loss and subsequent depression episode vs Paul. In XYZ, prior to the 8th gym Ash only had a one-off "bad day" with Greninja against Sawyer though prior to that he did really well against Alain and Diantha so I doubt those battles would upset him. Also Ash was depressed after his gym battle not because he lost, but because he couldn't bring out the best in his Pokémon (especially Greninja) like he previously could.
    I guess a devastating loss is required for a character arc, that helps Ash to develop. But successive losses to Sawyer and Alain(in could've been shown like that) could've started the depression arc, and then he ultimately gets out of it, wins the Wulfric Gym battle and then takes the League by storm. One thing is ridiculous here that even after that long build up in the Ash-Greninja/depression arc, Ash still didn't win the League. Sure, he made it to the finals, but only two of his battles were fully shown. We saw him win only win one fully shown battle onscreen, against Sawyer, whom he has beaten multiple times before and then lose to Alain. Well the Snowbelle depression arc+a shortened League with Ash winning the League would have been a good end, but Snowbelle depression arc+shortened League with Ash winning the semifinals and losing in the finals wasn't a good end to the arc in my opinion. In this case, I think winning the Wulfric Gym battle straight away would have been better I think(if he was going to lose in the finals in a shortened League).
    Last edited by 345ash-greninja; 11th March 2017 at 4:50 PM.
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!

DeviantArt

Spoiler:- Overview and Comparison:

Spoiler:- 1st Gym (Brock/Viola)::

Spoiler:- 2nd Gym Battle (Misty/Grant)::

Spoiler:- 3rd Gym Battle: (Lt. Surge/Korrina):

OK, that was way too much work. I'll add the rest over the next week.
    Last edited by TheWanderingMist; 11th March 2017 at 5:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderingMist View Post
    So...what's the likelihood of them keeping the nickname thing in the dub? Betting they'll go with Snowball if they decide to keep it.

Would you like to know whereabouts of the London Underground?

Sinnoh for me. The other badge quests don't even come close, especially after Sinnoh imo.
    Last edited by Pokegirl Fan~; 11th March 2017 at 5:37 PM.

sinnoh for me. kalos and unova come in a close second (with the exception of the nimbasa gym battle, lmao).

that said, the only problem i had with sinnoh badge quest is the freaking one year gap between ash's 7th and 8th gym battles.

I will go with Sinnoh.Hoenn comes in a close second though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Either Hoenn or Sinnoh. I expect Sinnoh to get votes, so I'll pick Hoenn.

Sinnoh suffered from too much Chimchar/Infernape though. Kalos was pretty good too actually, but sometimes became too flashy over substance.
    How would you explain away gym battles 3 and 7 for Hoenn (I guess for 7 you could use the Guts interpretation) or is it that the other 6 battles were just good enough to compensate for it? Basically elaborate on your thoughts for Hoenn. Yeah I'd say Sinnoh's was the most substance while Kalos's had the most flash though the delta animation for XY(Z) was significantly greater than that of other series so I don't think the increase in animation quality for XY should be taken for granted. Curiously which Kalos GYM battle do you think had the greatest flash-substance imbalance (I'd say 8)? My ranking would probably go something like Sinnoh >= Kalos > Hoenn > Johto >> Unova > Kanto

Ash-Greninja

Hawlucha

Badge Quest Ranking

1.Sinnoh
    Ash vs Volkner
    Ash vs Fantina
    Ash vs Candice
    Ash vs Crasher Wake
    Ash vs Maylene
    Ash vs Gardenia
    Ash vs Byron
    Paul vs Roark

2.Hoenn
    Ash vs Juan
    Ash vs Winona
    Ash vs Norman
    Ash vs Roxanne
    Ash vs Brawly

3.Kalos

4.Unova

5.Johto

6.Kanto

Johto, because Ash struggled hard against Pryce and Whitney. Hell, he would have lost the former had Pryce not quit.

Hoenn vs Kalos

vs Roxanne = vs Viola
    vs Brawly > vs Grant
    vs Watson << vs Korrina
    vs Flannery < vs Ramos
    vs Norman = vs Clemont
    vs Winona = vs Valerie
    vs Tate&Liza << vs Olympia
    vs Juan > vs Wulfric

Yeah can someone please explain how does Hoenn have better aggregate gym battle quality than Kalos cuz I don't see it.

Ash-Greninja

Hawlucha

I guess Sinnoh if we are looking at consistency. The only letdown was Crasher Wake and the rest was pretty good. Hoenn was also good since some of the badges were really hard to obtain and actually involved character development from Ash's part. What's holding it back is the utter failure of Wattson getting shafted. Unova is also underrated if we ignore Elesa. Kalos and Johto is also solid but falls short of Sinnoh imo.
    ~ Limits are meant to be broken ~

I liked Ash's Sinnoh badge quest the most, tho Ash vs Volkner was one of Dp's weakest gym battles from my perspective and wasn't climactic enough. ^^;

Sinnoh. All of the gym battles were exciting. I don't think I was ever tired of one of them.
    I don't get how Kalos has that many votes, a lot of the gyms like Valerie for instance were boring. Only ones that stand out are Korrina, Clemont, and Wulfric. Not to mention losing to a pathetic Surskit.....

Satoshi's Shinou region badge quest will always be my personal favorite since I watched each DP episode as it aired from 2006 to 2010, so my dedication to the show made Satoshi's four-year effort really impactful in my mind.

Based on how good the gym battles were, it's a tie between Sinnoh and Kalos, while there are still some black sheeps in those (Maylene and Wake in Sinnoh, Grant and Valerie in Kalos).

Sinnoh's development was better while I found the pacing in Kalos to be better. Including the goals of the female companions, Sinnoh should edge out Kalos.

Hoenn's badge quest third. The Wattson battle still hurts and Tate&Liza's battle was also rather crappy (not because of Thunder Armor). Norman's, Winona's and Juan's battle were good, the rest is mediocre.

Johto's fourth place. Mainly because the battles were such an improvment over Kanto. First time real battles with more than a 1vs1 where Ash is winning legaly.

Unova's fifht place. The battles were okay, but the evolutions as the gym battle twist was horrible. Also Roxie's and Elesa's battles still hurt so much. They would've been better than Johto if they weren't these stupid decision. I mean Brycen's battle was actually good.

Kanto sixth. Obviously. Gifted badges and the remaining ones had rather cheap battles. They weren't even training episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoruagible View Post
    Not to mention losing to a pathetic Surskit.....
    Pikachu losing to an Onix after getting hit by Screech wasn't any better.
    Last edited by UltimateNinja; 13th March 2017 at 3:26 AM.

Kalos benefits from having the best production values (due to recency) and borrowing elements from previous series' gyms (those callbacks in Vs. Olympia to Vs. Tate/Liza in AG). That's why I can't rank it the best, or at least any better than Hoenn.

Sinnoh

Good battles, Ash worked for 'em, and the Gym Leaders had a lot of depth, personality, and even roles beyond battling Ash.

Kalos is a close second for similar reasons. Hoenn and and Johto are on an even level. Isshu and Kanto at the bottom for reasons almost everyone here probably knows.

Ash's Hoenn badge quest was flawless with the possible exception of his Mossdeep Gym match.

Quote Originally Posted by ZilverLox View Post
    Ash's Hoenn badge quest was flawless with the possible exception of his Mossdeep Gym match.
    Well Thunder Armor was a thorn in my side when that battle happened, tho I'm kind of ok with how Ash won now. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by ZilverLox View Post
    I thought that Ash versus Roxanne, Norman, and Winona was good, but Ash versus Wattson was as bad as a pity badge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast