Thread: Good qualities of your favorite group

Default Good qualities of your favorite group

This thread is about the interactions/chemistry of each group, not "I hate said character because [insert reason] and other said character was just there so this is the worst!" Name your favorite group from either saga (not SM yet) and provide the good qualities.

Favorite group: The BW Trio
    Why? One of the best qualities of the BW Trio is it's one of the few instances where each team member actually had different relationships and chemistry, not sidelined for another character to shine just to have said character deteriorate in the background.

Ash and Iris clearly cared about each other. There was even a whole episode dedicated to highlight their relationship, both missing each other and apologizing over a petty fight they both had earlier. Or with the early episodes where it was just the two of them where they would bicker over something stupid, Iris would run off, but later save Ash in the gusher incident with the Sandile. She never left his side and always supported him, blatantly shown in the battle between Ash and Dento where on one side, Dento had a ton of cheerleaders while on the other, it was just Iris watching intrigued. Just because she doesn't agree with or criticizes his decisions, it doesn't make her a bad friend or wickedly abusive. Ash has been influenced by Iris's wild girl ways like how they would swing vines together in the forest and stand by her with her beliefs. Iris and Dento have exact opposite personalities and beliefs like their nature vs science or paranormal vs logical debates yet they still respect each other. Iris can get annoyed with Ash and Dento's quirks but she still enjoy their company even when they call her on her BS and vice versa. Dento gets Ash to join in his shenanigans and have gave encouraging advice that helped him in any situation he's feeling uncomfortable in. There have been countless times where they've all had fun together (playing tennis, dressing up as fancy girls to knock down 3 snotty girls, go shopping together, star in a movie, solve detective cases, paint together, compete against each other, wear afros to pretend that they're Bouffalant, cosplay, use their natural abilities and work together to get their Pokemon back, etc.)
    Last edited by satoharupika; 11th February 2017 at 5:35 AM.
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    Mallow-Lillie friendship duo; a bond so close, even the butler ships it!
    -Lady Lana: Full time big sister, part time kickasser
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

Favorite group: BW trio

Why? As already stated by satoharupika, each cast member had an established relationship and interacted on a frequent basis. In comparison to other groups where some characters pretty much never spoke to one another or didn't have anything else beyond the generic interactions 90% of time, BW stands out.

Also, props to satoharupika for actually creating a positive thread. A rare occurrence here in PAD, no doubt.

Kanto trio

By far the most interesting dynamic between the main group. Each character is balanced well to fulfill their niches with the group.

While it's early days yet, I admit I'm liking the potential in the Alola group due to the different dynamic. Rather than just travelling together, they're all settled down in the same 'home base'. Ash is essentially the foreign exchange student getting to know everything about the other students' lifestyles (something he usually didn't have much time to do with the other companions). It's kind of cute to see Ash, rather than just having some more groupies dragged along with him, being welcomed into this little community.

I also like how they still play on Ash's quirks despite being a fish out of water, he's very goofy, humble and wide eyed in this series, and yet still incredibly reliable and competent, something that usually takes the others aback (they did this at the start of Kalos as well but sadly it got dumbed down in favour Ash just being an all around ace). He's already saved some of the students from peril a few times. All of the other students actually appear similar too. Rather than being novices who are just starting their journey like most of the female trainers from previous series, they already each have a little eccentricity and specialty according to their studies. It has the potential for all of them to get situations they are needed (we've already seen Kaiwe and Ash dragged into one or two situations because they are the only profound battlers, or cases the others used their own abilities to methodically stop TR).
    Last edited by DatsRight; 11th February 2017 at 10:11 AM.

DP trio; I liked the Ash and Dawn dynamics and interactions with each other. While Brock did become a bit stale, I felt that he was more like an elderly brother between Ash and Dawn.

DP trio

I like how Ash and Dawn became best friends.
    Like Pokegirl Fan~ said, DP Brock was like an elderly brother to Ash and Dawn.
    Ash, Dawn, and Brock were connecting to the Lake Guardians.
    Last edited by Blaze Master X; 11th February 2017 at 6:05 PM.

DP group -

Ash and Dawn had the best friendship we've seen so far.
    I liked Dawn and Brock's interactions when together.
    Everyone in the group felt like they were needed, Ash and Dawn worked well together, whilst both of them learnt from Brock.
    Each of the group were heroes during the Galactic Arc and none of them were overshadowed by the other during the arc.

Top 3 favourite pokemon
    Sinnoh Anime Fan!

DP, they were the best friends Ash ever had. All the other group's friendships pale in comparison to the bond he had with Dawn and Brock. Dawn was his literal best friend and a girl, literally no ship teasing between the two aside from Lyra asking if Ash was Dawn's boyfriend. And Brock was the best male companion ever, only Cilan comes close to beating him, He was a best friend to Ash and like an older brother, no other character has the relationship they have.

DP's trio may've seemed awkward back then, but I thought that each member balanced each other out in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax512 View Post
    Kanto trio

By far the most interesting dynamic between the main group. Each character is balanced well to fulfill their niches with the group.
    Eh, I still say that Brock was sort of bland and pushed aside even back in Kanto in favor of Ash and Misty.

BW had the best cast, and I liked when we saw Cilan and Iris butting heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesdayz View Post
    Eh, I still say that Brock was sort of bland and pushed aside even back in Kanto in favor of Ash and Misty.
    All of the third wheels were shunned but OS Brock was the most relevant because he was the guy who kept Ash and Misty from running wild. He had his niche and provided a stark contrast with the other two.

Even though everyone hated the Unova cast, I loved how Iris playfully teased Ash and how Cilan was like Ash and Iris's big bro.

Quote Originally Posted by _LightMeww_ View Post
    BW had the best cast, and I liked when we saw Cilan and Iris butting heads.
    Cilan's stubbornness wasn't fun to watch though. His ego was too much sometimes.

I did like the Iris and Cilan bantering especially early on in the one episode with the Yamask and the museum iirc

Quote Originally Posted by ZilverLox View Post
    Even though everyone hated the Unova cast, I loved how Iris playfully teased Ash
    Aka, what this forum sees as the greatest taboo of Best Wishes.~

I literally cannot believe how much the DP trip has been brought up as the absolute favorites above all others tbh, I always figured they were the fandom's bottom pick.

Anyway the OS trio's best quality to me was that at least in the dub they were the closest to sounding and acting like real people, real friends, their dynamics are still and will probably always be unmatched. It's not a overly cartoony or saccharine friendship that's being portrayed but one I could imagine real people having like... Okay you have Iris teasing Ash but because it's a cartoon that has to be a "gag" and therefore it doesn't as feel realistic or genuine when you're only teasing a character for one thing? Where as Misty didn't have a "gag" when teasing or insulting Ash because they change depending in the contexts like a real person, if that makes any sense and that's why I love the OS trio because they kind of style of writing extends to all three of them

Also if anyone says XY they get a cookie
    Last edited by Soniman; 15th February 2017 at 3:39 AM.

Ash,Brock,and Misty's character and personality were at their best in OS although I prefer AG Ash over any other version so Ash-Brock-Misty group is the best.They have the best chemistry and all 3 have different characteristics about them which makes it even better,Brock is like the older big brother that keeps everything together while Ash and Misty are the two bickering brother and sister.
    Last edited by PokemonBattleFanatic-; 15th February 2017 at 4:44 AM.

1.) Ash/Dawn/Brock
    2.) Ash/Misty/Brock
    3.) Ash/Serena/Clemont/Bonnie
    4.) Ash/May/Brock/Max
    5.) Ash/Misty/Tracey
    6.) Ash/Iris/Cilan

I think the DP cast just felt so human and bonded really well together, Dawn wasn't as 'in your face' as May and Iris were and their personalities worked better together.
    Last edited by Sushi; 15th February 2017 at 8:34 PM.
    If you're a fan of Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, DC Comics and Movies, Fear The Walking Dead, GTA, Heroes, Mass Effect or Saints Row, hit me up with a VM, I'm always eager to talk about things I like with fellow fans.

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/nmgcc9.png[/IMG]
    Credit goes to AvengingAngel for the banner.

Quote Originally Posted by I-am-the-peel View Post
    1.) Ash/Dawn/Brock
    2.) Ash/Misty/Brock
    3.) Ash/Serena/Clemont/Bonnie
    4.) Ash/May/Brock/Max
    5.) Ash/Misty/Tracey
    6.) Ash/Iris/Cilan

I think the DP cast just felt so human and bonded really well together, Dawn wasn't as 'in your face' as May and Iris were and their personalities worked better together. I really disliked the BW trio throughout the series, as Iris was too annoying, bossy and rude to me (I also didn't like her English dub voice actress) and Cilan was too awkward, cringey and trying too hard to be comically funny in the same way Brock was. A lot of Iris' and Cilan's character traits and quirks felt like cheap rip offs of Misty's and Brock's in the original series and so it was a nice sigh of relief when XY came and we got Serena, Clemont and Bonnie.
    You completely missed the point of the thread.

It's not 'rank your favorite groups and then talk **** about your least favorite group' but name qualities of your favorite group.

The whole point of this thread is to be positive for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by I-am-the-peel View Post
    Ash/Dawn/Brock

I think the DP cast just felt so human and bonded really well together, Dawn wasn't as 'in your face' as May and Iris were and their personalities worked better together.
    This would've been better. It was really uncalled for to be insulting characters. This is a thread to write a love post to your favorite group, not ranting about how you hate the other characters. It's irrelevant and let's not try to cause a war okay?
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    Mallow-Lillie friendship duo; a bond so close, even the butler ships it!
    -Lady Lana: Full time big sister, part time kickasser
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

Just report the person then. You guys should do it more often.

My favorite group is the BW one because I liked their different personalities that managed to blend well together imo. Ash and Cilan were battling partners throughout the series, Iris and Cilan criticized each other's beliefs (like the sixth sense thing in the earlier episodes I think) and Ash had some good interactions with Iris and I like how she was always there for him as shown in the Roxie gym battle. They were just enjoyable to me! I do like the OS group as well as they did give me some good laughs back then.

I'm very fond of AG's group. It had a nice balance of experience and inexperience. May and Max introduced a fresh dynamic and interesting conflict to the cast. I enjoyed how they interacted with Ash and brought out parts of his character that we hadn't seen much of. I loved that May had interests outside of Pokemon and how the rest of the group reacted to them. Max may not have done much throughout AG but his bookish, nerdy view of Pokemon enhanced Ash's more instinctive and visceral approach. More than anything, I really liked that Ash had a tangible effect on how May raised her Pokemon and how she approached battles. It made a lot of sense for the impressionable rookie to be influenced by the more experienced trainer. Needing to find her own style by distancing herself from Ash's influence was a smart way of sending off May's character.

Well my favourite group was the OS one cuz Ash and Misty acted like siblings with their constant fighting and Brock was always trying to keep the peace like a parent hee hee.

I watched all pokemon sagas. Saw many character combinations forming main cast with Ash as lead. From standard 3 traveling friends casts to quartet. From casts where no one knew each other beforehand becoming close friends, to combinations where we had family members traveling together with Ash such as May and max or clement and Bonnie.

And all of them had their ups and downs, flaws and positive sides bringing needed energy and life to atmosphere of pokemon journey itself which Ash alone couldn't really carry through whole series.

But If there was any grouo of traveling companions which succeeded in my opinion to balance each other well in bringing perfect amount of humor, conflict having them through disagreements overcome their misunderstanding and create tighter bond out of it. Had them embroil interactions with moderate dose of witty sarcasm, competitive striding and solidarity it was Original trio better known as Ash, Misty and Brock.

Now why i consider this to be upmost and most endearing qualities one could hope from main cast set in anime about adventure, battling with various creatures and exploring world like pokemon is?

Its because they succeeded in capturing message of pokemon being about friends which are there for each other, help themselves to move forward or give backbone on which you can rely when feeling down having fun laughing, talking about their dreams and issues comforting themselves and giving motivation not to give up while arguing or being annoyed at each other flaws sometimes only strengthening on realism of relationship. Relationship which wasn't perfect being always in nirvana state where no one ever challenge each other opinion reflecting real life friendships and situations.
    Relationship which wasn't permeated with rehashed and repetitive dialogue or behavior scene patterns feeling natural and most importantly spontaneous.
    Or by circumstances where group chemistry made just 2 instead of all traveling companions(im looking at DP especially in this department).

And perhaps best indicator of this unforced and fluid stream relationship could be found in constant evolution and build on chemistry established before with ties between Ash, Misty and Brock becoming even more solidified as time went on .

This was especially noticeable to me when Brock came back from OI hiatus in there being present a lot more moral support and care going between all three whenever someone was separated from cast(like whole split up ending mixed with TR members when chased by Ursaring).
    Unselfish help and appreciation for each other(perfectly showed when Ash and Misty realized how much Brock meant to them when he got sick trying their best in helping him out, taking care of pokemon or attempt at cooking almost poisoning themselves). Desire to motivate and push each other in breaking out of their comfort zone doing something to made their dreams come true(Misty often tried to talked with Brock about his love problems for example trying to make him see error of his actions; one of more easy to remember examples comes from episode where girl wanted to marry Brock for example)Clashing scenes happening in more mature light exuding with lot of smart alec jokes, witty comments and moments of bickering and annoyance between Ash and Misty at times enjoying in trying to outsmart each other but also not acting childish and spoiled realizing when its time to stop(like in Misty acknowledging how they have been friends for long time not feeling grudge over Ash getting Totodile, when trying to beat each other at Whirl islands or in playfully teasing themselves about big appetite or clueless nature in Ash or hotheaded, snarky nature in Misty case in front of others ).

With no one feeling left out having interchangeable and versatile interactions between themselves. Being capable both of functioning detached in separate smaller groups(like Ash and Misty, Misty and Brock, Brock and Ash), yet still having common interests together and bond where all three at same time could express what they want and deepen on each other understanding and support.

All wrapped with one of most emotional and tearful goodbyes, if not the saddest one we get when traveling companions having to leave Ash. Bursting with sadness, strong attachment present between all three ending heartbroken of having to go separate ways after many adventures they together went through, giving out impression of companions which passed through many things knowing themselves for long time with interactions containing lot of comedy, sarcasm and emotion. More than any other group Ash traveled with had in my opinion.

Something which couldn't be achieved and captured in believable manner among viewers if it wasn't for significant and gradual evolution of friendship and bond among this main cast witnessing to maturity of their relationship eventually. More than i could day for any other main cast hence why even in this day and age despite being ancient old, OS trio had in my opinion best chemistry so far containing qualities which hasn't been managed to successfully be replicated again with others.