Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Paper Mario Series

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
        Spoiler:- Final Boss Fight:
    It's a secret way off doing extra damage. Just like how in Bowser's Inside Story's final boss, when the Dark Energy Cage move is done on you, you could punch out of it, or if you shell dodged you could cause the cage to fall on the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFlygon08 View Post
    It's a secret way off doing extra damage. Just like how in Bowser's Inside Story's final boss, when the Dark Energy Cage move is done on you, you could punch out of it, or if you shell dodged you could cause the cage to fall on the boss.
    It's weird, right? And in all honesty, it happened completely by accident.

This game is a little hard for me to do without an FAQ.

I was excited until my passion got delivered a deathblow by the information that there are to be no teammates.

A
    H
    H
    H...

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Squirtle View Post
    I was excited until my passion got delivered a deathblow by the information that there are to be no teammates.
    They need to bring those back. The only paper mario I've played is TTYD, and for that reason. (I also don't have an N64, so I can't play the original. I also heard that sticker star removed all of the rpg elements. True?
    I have claimed Alduin, the mighty dragon! He shall one day return to bring forth the end of time, and fulfill the prophecy of the world eater.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGonzales View Post
    They need to bring those back. The only paper mario I've played is TTYD, and for that reason. (I also don't have an N64, so I can't play the original. I also heard that sticker star removed all of the rpg elements. True?
    It's true. Health Bonuses give power boosts to your first strike attacks, which can be used to OHKO enemies on the field, there are no partners, there is no leveling up, there are no weapon upgrades, the sticker system is just a rat race (You have to battle in order to get coins which you wil ALWAYS use to get stickers which, in turn, are used only for battle), hammers and all stickers that are Flashy or better are OP, regular shiny stickers are the only stickers that are needed if you can abuse an already OP battle spinner, the mushroom stickers are unneccesary with all the HP Restore stations spread out so much, and Kersti is...yeah, this game is too easy when the battle spinner is abused.

Just gonna leave this here, Yahtzee finally did one of his angry reviews, this time pointed at Sticker Star: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...o-Sticker-Star

(inb4 Yahtzee hate)

He pretty much iterates all the reasons I dislike Sticker Star...albeit in a far more colorful and hyperbole filled fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by shiny charizard master View Post
    Just gonna leave this here, Yahtzee finally did one of his angry reviews, this time pointed at Sticker Star: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...o-Sticker-Star

(inb4 Yahtzee hate)

He pretty much iterates all the reasons I dislike Sticker Star...albeit in a far more colorful and hyperbole filled fashion.
    It was so funny, and yet so true at the same time.

Would anyone recommend picking up Sticker Star? I've played the original at least 10 times as well as a couple of plays through TTYD and absolutely love them. The first N64 Paper Mario is in my top 10 favorite games. However seeing all the negative feedback I'm not so sure?

I wouldn't, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    I wouldn't, for one.
    I would not necessarily recommend buying it at full price. I would either rent it or buy it pre-owned. Me, personally, I did not mind the game, but it most definitely could have been better. To me, it's not nearly as good as TTYD or Super Paper Mario. I would struggle to say that it was even as good as the original Paper Mario, all things considered. In a way, it is just as much, if not more, of a base breaker than Super Paper Mario. It is not a bad game, to me, but it could be a whole lot better and that is what so many people don't like about it.
    Team Rocket will pay for their crimes.

Well, on the subject of Sticker Star... Why did they feel the need to remove all RPG elements? Sincerely, wasn't that the reason why a bunch of people didn't like Super Paper Mario? I still dream of the day I will get to experience a Paper Mario feel like the ones I had while playing the original game and TTYD. Hopefully they will return to basics on the next games. That's the only thing this series need right now...
    Farmer, monster slayer, adventurer...

And womanizer, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Mew2 View Post
    I would not necessarily recommend buying it at full price. I would either rent it or buy it pre-owned. Me, personally, I did not mind the game, but it most definitely could have been better. To me, it's not nearly as good as TTYD or Super Paper Mario. I would struggle to say that it was even as good as the original Paper Mario, all things considered. In a way, it is just as much, if not more, of a base breaker than Super Paper Mario. It is not a bad game, to me, but it could be a whole lot better and that is what so many people don't like about it.
    You hit the nail on the head here. =P They had all the ingredients for something amazing, and even if they decided to go with the sticker system (which I wasn't a fan of, personally), I wouldn't have as big of an issue with it if they didn't decide to water everything else down in the process because *someone* said they didn't need a story, and they should get rid of what story they did have at the time of that meeting.

On the topic of *someone* saying that there should be no story and that there should be no characters that aren't part of the main series game, I just had some fridge-logic finally explained to me. I was always wondering why the goombas that rolled up into cones to count as spiky enemies even existed - after all, we have spike goombas that wear that little hat - but then I realized, spike goombas, while they are goombas, are strictly the product of IS's endeavors, and are not "Main Series." The same could be said about things ranging from the stony clefts, the colored co-ordinated magikoopas and, in fact, magikoopas AT ALL other than Kamek, the amazing Koopatrols, Dayzees, Clubbas (although, ironically, they were the inspiration for "Spike" that appears in the main games, who is now in Sticker Star because he's "main game"), Duplighosts, and all the rest.

The enemies in this game feel underwhelming and boring because they were recommended NOT to be creative and change them up a bit, minus the Mariachi Guys they slipped into the desert area. Goombas are Goombas. They don't have spiked hats. They don't have stronger variants (Dark and Hyper Goombas). Koopas are just Koopas. They come in Green and Red Variants. No longer are there Dark Koopas, Koopatrols, or other such "Non-Main-Games" variants. Gone are giant bob-ombs or those terrifying Bulky Bob-ombs and Bob-Ulks, left with nothing but the traditional variant. Instead, all we got are the occasional "shiny" variant, which is exactly the same as a normal, but they take half damage and deal double damage.

Just...bah.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Squirtle View Post
    Would anyone recommend picking up Sticker Star? I've played the original at least 10 times as well as a couple of plays through TTYD and absolutely love them. The first N64 Paper Mario is in my top 10 favorite games. However seeing all the negative feedback I'm not so sure?
    Ehhhhh it depends on how you feel about the game but my opinion is a no.
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

I actually didn't mind Sticker Star. It was a lot more enjoyable than Super Paper Mario for the Wii that's for sure.

Hmmm what a shame. Hopefully on the next go around for the Wii-U they will bring back the RPG element that made these games so enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Squirtle View Post
    It is a bland, halfhearted game that strips away everything you probably liked about the original game and TTYD. Steer very clear of it.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

I beat Sticker Star like a week ago. And my thoughts are:

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    It is a bland, halfhearted game that strips away everything you probably liked about the original game and TTYD. Steer very clear of it.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:

Spoiler:- Claimed Anime Songs:

Anime List

BAAM. 100% baby! Feels good. Definitely my second favorite PM.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

I still didn't get to play Sticker Star, I can't believe it's getting so many negative reviews Is it that bad?

Of course, I only saw the first 2 or 3 trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    In a nutshell, it's like everything this video below says

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    I still didn't get to play Sticker Star, I can't believe it's getting so many negative reviews Is it that bad?

Personally I like the game and feel that it is quite good, but was a disappointment as a Paper Mario title. Most people who talk smack about the game are the ones who wanted a game playing more like PM: TTYD.
    The only Nesquik you'll ever see in 3D.

I am a proud Catholic.

Shiny Charmander! Hatched via Masuda Method on 3/7/13
    Shiny Corphish! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Skrelp! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Horsea! Chain fished on 10/31/13 (Guess this is my Halloween treat)
    Shiny Frogadier! Random encounter in Friend Safari on 11/2/13 (Modest nature and 31 IV in speed)
    Shiny Tyrunt! Hatched via Masuda Method on 11/9/13

Want my Friend Code? Here it is:
    3DS: 1891-1325-6982
    White 2: 3397 1588 5337 Peter

Well, I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm trading Sticker Star in to buy Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Ironically enough, it's the same team who did that one too. At least it's far MORE worthwhile because, well, it DOES have a story.

EDIT: Screw you, GameStop. Amazon is where it's at.
    Last edited by AuraChannelerChris; 28th January 2013 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post

It's good...it's just not the Paper Mario we know. If you go into it knowing that, it's a better pill to swallow.

I know it's the original and I know the camera's bad but oh, those little Easter eggs.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast