Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper Mario Series

Agreeing with everything you guys have said, just throwing these facts out there.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

What makes me worried is why in some glimpses we see partners, yet others we don't? Like isn't it quite a bit of effort to remove the partner from the game's programming just so it doesn't spoil?

Don't worry.

It's a Paper Mario game. It's not the same without partners.

I just hope this game has the same kind of quirky dialogue that the last three had.

Well that didn't stop them from making Super Paper Mario, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by Electivire Addict View Post
    Well that didn't stop them from making Super Paper Mario, did it?
    Peach, Bowser, and Mr. L...er, Luigi say hi!

Tippi as well. ;_;

Pixls weren't partners, and Alternate playable characters aren't either.

Excited to see the Chomp work as I just randomly thought up the other day. Simple, could possibly replace the Koopa partner, given how it's used.

I'm going to take an educated guess and say based on the fact this crown is 3D it would represent either a role similar to Tippi's or even Stuffwell, if you want to take an out-of-series reference, where it's like an ally but not a partner. And if so, that might give it the grounds to give Mario his paper-esque abilities, such as cutting pieces out of the battles or backgrounds or the fan. Basically, assume the crown is a Tippi but instead of taking the place of Mario's "guide" function the crown is his paper manipulation tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    Pixls weren't partners, and Alternate playable characters aren't either.
    The word partner is defined as "A person who takes part in an undertaking with another or others".

Yes, they are partners.

Just partners that are playable outside of battle and take a much more active role in the plot. In the end, they still help Mario in his endeavors.

Super Paper Mario is different in terms of gameplay and plot from the first two. So why should the concept of partner characters be the same?
    Last edited by lolipiece; 8th January 2012 at 8:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Super Paper Mario is different in terms of gameplay and plot from the first two. So why should the concept of partner characters be the same?
    Because partners are clearly defined within the realm of the Paper Mario series. Yes, Super Paper Mario is indeed different from the other two games in terms of gameplay and plot. So it would stand within reason that the fact it has no partners may exist. Within the series partners are very clearly the characters who follow behind Mario and aid him inside and out of battle. If anything you can say that the Pixls emulate partners at best because they in no way show character of the same lines as partners from the previous games and while, yes, they aid Mario in and out of battle, they also serve as tools or abilities for Mario, such as Slim, Cudge or Dashell.

And just the same it is unreasonable to call Bowser, Peach or Luigi a parnet because at no point in the game do they accompany Mario. You are only playing as them, hence their role as playable main characters.

Regardless of the textbook definition of what a partner is there is a clearly established set of rules, for lack of better word, by which a partner in the series must follow to exist. Neither Pixls nor the 3 other main characters in SPM follow these rules to be called partners.

Hopefully we can get some more news on Paper Mario 3DS soon. I hope we don't have to wait until E3 2012 for some news. This thread can't last that long.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Well, I had no idea what the Paper Mario series was about, until I downloaded it last week from the Wii Shop. And my god, I love it. <3 The gameplay's awesome, the visuals are awesome, the music is awesome, and the humor is pretty hilarious at times. :P Definitely going to buy TTYD sometime later. I think I'll skip Super Paper Mario, however.
    Last edited by ManhattanTheStarr; 28th January 2012 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanTheStarr View Post
    Well, I had no idea what the Paper Mario series was about, until I downloaded it last week from the Wii Shop. And my god, I love it. <3 The gameplay's awesome, the visuals are awesome, the music is awesome, and the humor is pretty hilarious at times. :P Definitely going to by TTYD sometime later. I think I'll skip Super Paper Mario, however.
    TTYD is pretty hard to find, but it's better in every single way, I'd highly recommend getting it no matter the cost.

I skipped the Wii entry as well because most people said it was nothing like the other 2, it lacked the charm apparently.
    Black FC: 2408 4926 3109 - Kyle
    My Anime List
        Spoiler:- Shiny card.:

Why did I not know about this thread earlier!? D:

@Manhattan: You should DEFINITELY pick up TTYD, thats my favorite one in the series. I would not pass up Super Paper Mario though, while the gameplay is substantially different from the prior two it is still a terrific game, though slightly more fast-paced.

@Sabconth: People said that it was very different and complained because Super Paper Mario is turn-based, and more complicated. It is still VERY fun, and definitely worth playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
    @Sabconth: People said that it was very different and complained because Super Paper Mario is turn-based, and more complicated. It is still VERY fun, and definitely worth playing.[/I][/COLOR][/FONT]
    Really? Guess I'll give it a try then, thanks.
    Black FC: 2408 4926 3109 - Kyle
    My Anime List
        Spoiler:- Shiny card.:

I'm glad to hear that! I'm sure you'll love it. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Sabconth View Post
    TTYD is pretty hard to find, but it's better in every single way, I'd highly recommend getting it no matter the cost.

I skipped the Wii entry as well because most people said it was nothing like the other 2, it lacked the charm apparently.
    Yeah, apparently, the battles are completely different, and I love the battle style in Paper Mario. D: And no worries, I'll just buy me a used copy from GameStop's site. :P

And the battle style being different isn't my only problem with the game, it's also the lack of unique partners. Looks like you get a bunch of pixie characters as partners in Super Paper Mario, which don't seem very different from one another, unlike the partners you get in Paper Mario. I'm sure the game isn't as bad as I think it is, but to be honest, I'm not really interested in it.

@Manhattan: Yes the combat system is not turn based like the other two making it considerably easier, but the combat system is still very fun and enjoyable. Also the Pixl (as they call them) are just like different partners, and each have a unique ability, though they (for the most part) are useless in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
    @Manhattan: Yes the combat system is not turn based like the other two making it considerably easier, but the combat system is still very fun and enjoyable. Also the Pixl (as they call them) are just like different partners, and each have a unique ability, though they (for the most part) are useless in combat.
    Heh, the turn based, level-upping aspect in Paper Mario really reminded me of Pokemon, so as expected, it instantly appealed to me. :P And the Pixls being useless in combat kinda sucks... D:

What? Don't skip SPM. It has the best story out of them all so far...

...You'll be shocked at how Dark a Mario game can get...

SPM has a much darker storyline than the previous two, though I prefer the previous two's gameplay over SPM. I liked the RPG aspect of first two, I just disliked how it was switched to a side-scrolling platformer.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRecon View Post
    SPM has a much darker storyline than the previous two, though I prefer the previous two's gameplay over SPM. I liked the RPG aspect of first two, I just disliked how it was switched to a side-scrolling platformer.
    Same for me. I'd like to at least try SPM, but buying it...? Eh, I think I'll pass.

SPM I enjoyed, not as much as I did with TTYD, but I did actually like it more than the original PM in terms of storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    No, because outside of the first clips we got there haven't been partners seen. Plus the chain chomp isn't exactly unique for its species. Kooper and Koops had their blue shells, Bow was a greenish-Boo, Spike/Lakister had the glasses, etc. Not the case with the plain black chain chomp we saw.

woot21 out dawgs
    Um...Koops had a Green Shell, not a blue one.

Cyber's PC
    Credit to PikaPal_Lyra for the Banner

3DS Friend Code: 2320-7298-6586

The word partner is defined as "A person who takes part in an undertaking with another or others".

Yes, they are partners.
    You're confusing gameplay terms with literary terms. They are not partners.

What? Don't skip SPM. It has the best story out of them all so far...
    I'd be inclined to disagree there, to a point. The entire series is filled with its own cliches, but just because SPM was a wall of text does not mean it was better constructed storywise.

...You'll be shocked at how Dark a Mario game can get...
    This I agree with. But really you need to read between the lines to even get all of this, too.

SPM was actually my first game in the series, and without prior knowledge, it was decent.
    However, after beating the first two, it was a little disheartening to see all that it could've been.

I'd recommend SPM as a filler, if you get bored before the 3DS game, but definitely get TTYD, if you loved the original, then you'll adore it.
    It's one of my favourite games ever & the first playthrough is magical~

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast