Page 42 of 190 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 4736

Thread: Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

Exactly, it evolved from not caring for 29 other states, finding out 40 years ago his competitor was an idiot in High School, and set it up pretty plainly to try to look like a hero! It's such an old ploy the Romans used it!

Smart move in a country where about 50% is against and about 50% is in favor :P..
    That's 58% against if we are discussion state supreme courts!

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    Exactly, it evolved from not caring for 29 other states, finding out 40 years ago his competitor was an idiot in High School, and set it up pretty plainly to try to look like a hero! It's such an old ploy the Romans used it!
    What are you saying?

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I'm saying it is quite convenient that 29 states banned gay couples marrying and Obama did... nothing. NC bans gay marriage and NOW he decides it's time to do something, now that its getting to be running season. After he finally decides to make a stand (after 58% of the states have laws banning equal rights!)He come out and decides to do something, OH yeah and Romney bullied some gay kids in high school!That's like saying I can't get a job now cause I smoked pot 30 years ago! It's obvious as the nose on your face that Obama is beginning his campaign off with slander if he is going all the way back to Romney's high school days to throw dirt.

So true!

I'm saying it is quite convenient that 29 states banned gay couples marrying and Obama did... nothing.
    What could he do? Scold them for being able to do things that they have control over? This also ignores the fact that he supposedly did not have a concrete position on gay marriage until earlier this year.

NC bans gay marriage and NOW he decides it's time to do something,
    I'm pretty sure he declared his favor because Biden did so recently; not because North Carolina banned it.

now that its getting to be running season. After he finally decides to make a stand (after 58% of the states have laws banning equal rights!)He come out and decides to do something,
    What exactly is he doing for gay marriage?

OH yeah and Romney bullied some gay kids in high school!That's like saying I can't get a job now cause I smoked pot 30 years ago! It's obvious as the nose on your face that Obama is beginning his campaign off with slander if he is going all the way back to Romney's high school days to throw dirt.
    This is run-of-the-mill political action. Both sides were eventually going to slander each other anyway via some outlet or another.

OH yeah and Romney bullied some gay kids in high school!That's like saying I can't get a job now cause I smoked pot 30 years ago! It's obvious as the nose on your face that Obama is beginning his campaign off with slander if he is going all the way back to Romney's high school days to throw dirt.
    Exactly. I killed 5 kids when I was in jr high, but that shouldn't stop me from being a senator. Heck I also robbed a bank so I should still get a job as a banker.
    Romney did some bad things is one thing. But he denies it happened, and refuses to admit he was wrong. We need a president who knows right from wrong.
    Also his buddies who are bringing this up said it traumatized them, so it was more then hazing.

Thanks to treeco123

LIGHT SIDE HAS CUPCAKES
    DARK SIDE OFFERS COOKIES
    JOIN THE DERPY SIDE.... WE GOT MUFFINS

Quote Originally Posted by ebilly99 View Post
    We need a president who knows right from wrong.
    I apologize for being off-topic but criticizing Romeny for something he did in high school is beyond ridiculous and should have no place in regards to whether or not someone should vote for him. It's kind of like a President's views on same-sex marriage: it shouldn't be a factor but eh.

Exactly. I killed 5 kids when I was in jr high, but that shouldn't stop me from being a senator. Heck I also robbed a bank so I should still get a job as a banker.
    Romney did some bad things is one thing. But he denies it happened, and refuses to admit he was wrong. We need a president who knows right from wrong.
    Also his buddies who are bringing this up said it traumatized them, so it was more then hazing.
    Really, Capitol Crimes v being a Stupid Teen... You really are ok with comparing apples and oranges like that? I hate to tell you but lots of kids got bullied in My generation in high school. I bullied bullies should I not be allowed to run for office? We elected a Pot head (well he claimed he didn't inhale!) why is this any different. We didn't have bullying laws back 30-40 years ago you know!?!

Rebecca, I almost agree with you. If Obama is going to actually support gay marriage that is a hot ticket item in the government right now. Now if we were arguing that Obama was homophobic in high school, that would not be something to bring up today.
    Last edited by Malanu; 11th May 2012 at 10:56 PM.

So true!

Not a romney fan but I have to agree, all kids do stupid things a couple of times.

And Malanu American politics is basicly a who can throw the most dirt and shit at the other candidate, Romney does it, Obama does it everyone does it.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

I agree 7. It's why I hate politicians!

So true!

Rebecca, I almost agree with you. If Obama is going to actually support gay marriage that is a hot ticket item in the government right now. Now if we were arguing that Obama was homophobic in high school, that would not be something to bring up today.
    You said you almost agree with so what point are you disagreeing with me on?

Valid question Rebecca,
    It's kind of like a President's views on same-sex marriage: it shouldn't be a factor but eh.
    This is a current topic/policy, so should be open for legitimate debate and scrutiny. Please I do emphasize legitimate... I hate mud throwing by either side.

So true!

Romney did some bad things is one thing. But he denies it happened, and refuses to admit he was wrong.
    Romney says he does not remember it, which is legitimate after what is close to 50 years. But he has apologized for anyone he hurt.

We need a president who knows right from wrong.
    Like say snorting Cocaine in college?
    Or befriending a known terrorist?
    Or spending 20 years in a church that talked about hating Whites and hating America.

Because obviously we do not want a President that did such wrong things.

Is this the same buddy who said that he was not there for the incident and the Washington Post changed the story? And if the incident was so traumatizing why didn't his sisters know about it?

Yeah, its beyond short sighted to look towards a candidates high school years to determine their respectability.

As BigLutz stated Obama was a COCAINE ADDICT and went to a church that (for what WE'VE SEEN) had extremist leanings.

But yes it was politically savvy for Obama to turn this into a culture war. To be honest these presidents are very similar when it comes to both the economy so we needed a differentiating factor. I'll vote for Obama because I'm socially liberal, and I tend to lean slightly to the left economically. Also because I fear that Romney is trying to hard to appeal to the fascist..I mean christian right.

Obama's online store is now selling a wide variety of "LGBT ware"

http://store.barackobama.com/collect...for-obama.html

Can we honestly do away with any perception that this wasn't completely politically motivated?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekage
    Also because I fear that Romney is trying to hard to appeal to the fascist..I mean christian right.
    Dude Romney can completely ignore the Christian Right, right now and they would still crawl over broken glass for him. Thanks to Obama they have now completely and utterly rallied around him with out him having to lift a finger.

Obama Advisor: Sir. Some of the polls have you dangerously close to Rmoney. We need to do something. I suggest you make a clear statement in support of homosexual marriage in order to rally your homosexual supporters and boost your poll numbers.

Obama: Yeah. That sounds good. Get me an interview and let me know what I need to say.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Obama Advisor: Sir. Some of the polls have you dangerously close to Rmoney. We need to do something. I suggest you make a clear statement in support of homosexual marriage in order to rally your homosexual supporters and boost your poll numbers.

Obama: Yeah. That sounds good. Get me an interview and let me know what I need to say.
    Cynical much? Sure, Biden has been a blabbermouth but at least Obama was finally honest about it and made history. Meanwhile, Romney has other problems right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    Cynical much? Sure, Biden has been a blabbermouth but at least Obama was finally honest about it and made history. Meanwhile, Romney has other problems right now.
    And to save space, why don't you post over in the political thread what kind of problems you think he has.

Valid question Rebecca,
    This is a current topic/policy, so should be open for legitimate debate and scrutiny. Please I do emphasize legitimate... I hate mud throwing by either side.
    And what exactly would be an example of "legitimate debate and scrutiny?"

I'd go with asking why he waited till a majority of state's supreme courts voted (30 of 50). His stance should have started before the total reached 25?

If re elected what will he do to get this nations economy back on track?

Start with questions like that.

So true!

I'd go with asking why he waited till a majority of state's supreme courts voted (30 of 50). His stance should have started before the total reached 25?
    If we take him at his word, then he didn't have a stance until earlier this year. There is no point in taking a stand for anything if one doesn't believe in it. If I recall correctly, he was against gay marriage a few years ago.

If re elected what will he do to get this nations economy back on track?
    This doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand so I cannot answer. Sadly, politics wouldn't be the piece of crap it is if only the important questions were asked but 24-hour cable news would have nothing to dramatize if they did.

Have you even known someone to not have a stance? In politics if you have no opinion you support the status quo! His nation has spoken fairly loudly when 58% of your state supreme courts have decided to make a stand. The president is now representing the minority, not a strong place/time to take a stand. This is a bill Clinton type move. Make a statement, expose dirt discrediting the opposition. in this case it pretty much will backfire I think. What someone thought or did when they were stupid teens in high school does not mean he would do the same now. Just once in my life, I would love to see BOTH side fight respectfully. Have adds that say, "I'm planning to do this if elected."

I didn't limit myself to just one topic since it would be a policy debate, not just a gay marriage debate. The government would probably work better if they didn't worry so much about popular opinion and did the job needing done, then see if they did the right thing at election time.

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    If we take him at his word, then he didn't have a stance until earlier this year. There is no point in taking a stand for anything if one doesn't believe in it. If I recall correctly, he was against gay marriage a few years ago.
    And in 1996 he was for Gay Marriage, now obviously he could have "devolved" on it, and then "evolved" again. But isn't it more likely he was for it the whole time, and wanting to have it both ways for as long as he could. Looking like he was against it and for it the same time, with the "evolving" non sense?

Personally, I couldn't care less whether Obama is doing this as a political move and is still actually on the fence about it or what. He's still milking it, and as far as I'm concerned, it accomplishes two things for the LGBTQ community: 1) raising awareness and making it an okay thing for people to start standing up for that group because the president is doing it (even if, as I said, he's not 100% sincere, though I do believe there's some measure of sincerity in it regardless of reasons or methods); and 2) getting the panties of the anti-gay crowd in a massive, massive bunch over their own hypocrisy.

Speaking of hypocrisy, an interesting post that came up on my Tumblr lately that I felt was worth sharing:

The laws in the Old Testament were set forth by god as the rules the Hebrews needed to follow in order to be righteous, to atone for the sin of Adam and Eve and to be able to get into Heaven. That is also why they were required to make sacrifices, because it was part of the appeasement for Original Sin.

According to Christian theology, when Jesus came from Heaven, it was for the express purpose of sacrificing himself on the cross so that our sins may be forgiven. His sacrifice was supposed to be the ultimate act that would free us from the former laws and regulations and allow us to enter Heaven by acting in his image. That is why he said “it is finished” when he died on the cross. That is why Christians don’t have to circumcise their sons (god’s covenant with Jacob), that is why they don’t have to perform animal sacrifice, or grow out their forelocks, or follow any of the other laws of Leviticus.

When you quote Leviticus as god’s law and say they are rules we must follow because they are what god or Jesus wants us to do, what you are really saying, as a Christian, is that Christ’s sacrifice on the cross was invalid. He died in vain because you believe we are still beholden to the old laws. That is what you, a self-professed good Christian, are saying to your god and his son, that their plan for your salvation wasn’t good enough for you.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Have you even known someone to not have a stance?
    Yes, it's possible to not have a stance on something.

In politics if you have no opinion you support the status quo!
    He probably did have an opinion but you can't argue what that opinion was because you don't know what it really was.

His nation has spoken fairly loudly when 58% of your state supreme courts have decided to make a stand. The president is now representing the minority, not a strong place/time to take a stand.
    Just because "58% of states" (as you claim) have banned same sex marriages does not mean that 58% of people oppose same sex marriage. Is Gallup a credible poll in this forum? I can't remember if it is or isn't but if it is then 50% of Americans support it. It has a 3% margin of error so even if it is a pretty small divide.

This is a bill Clinton type move. Make a statement, expose dirt discrediting the opposition.
    You mean a very politician type move. I doubt that Bill Clinton is the only one to ever do this.

in this case it pretty much will backfire I think. What someone thought or did when they were stupid teens in high school does not mean he would do the same now. Just once in my life, I would love to see BOTH side fight respectfully. Have adds that say, "I'm planning to do this if elected."
    They already have speeches for that kind of stuff.

I didn't limit myself to just one topic since it would be a policy debate, not just a gay marriage debate. The government would probably work better if they didn't worry so much about popular opinion and did the job needing done, then see if they did the right thing at election time.
    Well, this is the homosexuality in politics thread so yeah. Of course, if they didn't focus on the popular opinion then that would hurt their chances of being elected.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    And in 1996 he was for Gay Marriage, now obviously he could have "devolved" on it, and then "evolved" again. But isn't it more likely he was for it the whole time, and wanting to have it both ways for as long as he could.
    Of course it is possible. I haven't stated anything that would suggest he was secretly for it or against it the whole time. What I've said was that it would make no sense to support something that you publicly don't support which is what Malanu was suggesting he should've done.

Looking like he was against it and for it the same time, with the "evolving" non sense?
    I'm not arguing whether or not it was nonsense or what he truly believed him the whole time. I'm not arguing about whether or not it was a political move. I'm arguing that it makes no sense to support something that you publicly do not support or have a stance on which is something that we can all agree on.

Gallup is pretty respectable... I was a member for a while! 30 of 50 states (or 58%) have laws against now. Remember the saying, If you choose not to decide you have still made a choice. By choosing to not take a stance he/we choose the status quo.

Of course not, Billy was just my example.

And they both have stuff like "Oh he bullies gays... (In High School) Do you really want him in office!" It's scummy for both parties.

So true!

Page 42 of 190 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast